• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your MMR on hotslogs? No troll, I just suspect you're pretty high and just aren't seeing these things any more. Teammates refusing to leave lane for objectives because they're choosing to play LOL is a real thing that people experience, but you can definitely MMR your way away from it.

All those liquid things you mention are things that many players have 0 idea about because they're not taught in-game, and playing with players who don't comprehend the macro-level strategy of the game is incredibly frustrating.

Pretty average player, last time I checked I was gold/2K something. I play QM exclusively (Bronze League All-Star) and have only entertained the idea of playing Hero League. I like HotS versus Dota because it's casual and HL is kind of the antithesis of casual. I've been frustrated at times where HL is more appealing than playing more QM but then I just log out and go play Civ or WoW instead.

After nearly 2000 hours of Dota 2 (1700-ish matches) and over 1900 matches of HotS, I just accept that when I play with random people, the results will be random. The skill level of the players will vary, their skill with a particular hero will vary, maybe they're tired and having a bad day. They come home from work, try to blow off some steam, have some playing a game but it only makes things worse and they're a toxic asshole for a match. This is the trade off I make by just playing whoever I want to play as.

So how's Rexxar?

How tanky is Misha?

Fun. Feels like Beast Master, especially if you go boars, and Lone Druid mashed together. Misha is Murky, if Murky was a tank with a slightly longer respawn timer. The death timer for Misha doesn't feel overly long and while Rexxar is kinda useless without her, Misha getting focused down in teamfights kinda has similar benefits to having a Murky on your team. She's a distraction, an ability and damage sponge.

While Feign Death is the only point at which you can briefly have granular control over the bear you can still do some fun things when she's set to aggro. You can click on a hero from far away to target them with Misha. Have her barrel in, she gets focused, then you can use her stun and set her to passive to get her out.

Milly79

Master 4923 (Current MMR: 3188)

KappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappaKappa

brian!

Kreygasm.png

congratz

Svafnir

So I have no idea why Rexxar is a warrior. Sure Misha is super tanky and you can heal her a shit ton. But the character really seems to play more like an assassin, out of my 3 games with him, I have been top DPS every time.

Dunno it's weird.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I have no idea why Rexxar is a warrior. Sure Misha is super tanky and you can heal her a shit ton. But the character really seems to play more like an assassin, out of my 3 games with him, I have been top DPS every time.

Dunno it's weird.

You can top the charts with Arthas (or used to back in the day), is he an assassin also?

Ketch

Damage numbers on the score screen are pretty meaningless most of the time.

It makes sense that Rexars damage would be pretty high because you have two units and your still able to do damage when the bear dies.

I've inly gotten time to play one bit game with him but feign death seemed like a crap move

Svafnir

You can top the charts with Arthas (or used to back in the day), is he an assassin also?

Arthas feels more like a tank, his slow and his skillshot root. Which is weird to say because rexxar also has a slow and what not.

But he just doesn't feel like one.... Especially since you can't directly control Misha you are never really able to run up and tank their team or tank their back line. Because Misha and rexxar have to be a certain distance next to each other... His positioning just feels so odd.

I own and have played every hero, something about rexxar just feels off. Sonya and other "off tanks" at least feel like a warrior. Rexxar just feels like a ranged assassin with a little pet that can tank damage.

Hard to explain. Just feels weird.

Edit: Let me just say feel another 100x. Also you can top dps charts as Muradin in games. Don't focus on that aspect of what I said, I more so meant I play him like an assassin and it's odd trying to make him tank. Maybe I need to play more than 5 games with him, but every single one I just play like an assassin even if I am trying to "tank." which I did solo tank hero league. But I blame the enemy team sucking over my actual tanking ability those games.

Alavard

Only had time for one QM tonight, and, wanting to evaluate Rexxar as an opponent a little, I figured for sure I'd have one on my team and the enemy team if I queued as an assassin. Picked Butcher, only got a Rexxar on our team, and had no time to evaluate him at all as we stomped the Infernal Shrines in 10:40.

First world problems, am I right?

Indignate

So I saw this and all your other post and juice's post earlier and was going to write something, but I was at school and on my phone so I was like whatever. But I saw you in teh game and decided to peep your profile.

You seem to only play against AI, at least lately when it comes to complaining about these players you're matched with. There is a ceiling cap on that mode. Both you and the people you get matched with are not getting better, which is why you feel like you continually get matched with shitty people. You see people playing it like it's LoL or whatever because they haven't been forced to adapt. They haven't been forced to get better at Hots.

Get out of playing against the AI. I don't know if you think QM is more toxic or what (you seem to have played a fair bit at least), but you're just going to be getting the same shit if you stay there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dice's neverending bitching is...on bot games?

Oh my

Indignate

No stalkarino here. Just saw he was on and wanted to take a quick glimpse at what he was all about. It's the only way I can give any real advice.

Bot games are whatever, let the homie play bot games if he absolutely wants too. I have a couple of friends that do it because they find it more chill, but clearly dice isn't having fun with that anymore. I think he has to fully commit to the bigger pool at this point or just accept his fate
and play League
kunk-rum.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Guys I'm not a dumbass, I know how the systems work. I played fucktons of QM and started on bots for dailies after it went to shit and wasn't worth the trouble anymore. Winning gets you more XP on QM but losing QM gets you less XP than winning coop, so if you're grabbing quest gold and casually leveling in doing so, bot matches are less hassle. I'm friends with GGG so I could play with them if we schedule it but the new HL format will be fucking that over.

I know you'll probably say oh I have to put in 200 games to boost my MMR but the thing is I already did before and had a good rank and it was already getting good matches, but post-launch it went to shit regardless even before the MMR reset, so exactly how much utter bullshit will I have to put up with until it sets me up with people who actually play it as intended? Will I have to become obsessively invested just to keep pace in MMR growth with those who are any good? Because my teams on QM are nearly always just as shit, it's just that humans capitalize on that shittiness better than bots so it's even more maddening when I'm left alone because my teammates keep dying.

As for LoL being "just as bad" I highly disagree because I've found a ton of people at low levels are actually smurfs, and I've had LoL-veteran friends confirm that.

Every time a new hero is released, I play bot matches until 5 and then only go back when another hero comes out. The matchmaking for that mode is virtually instant, class is the only thing that seems to matter. Doesn't seem like there's any other criteria for it.

Bot matches are only good to screw around with builds or as a super casual way to clear dailies. People learn nothing of substance from those, mostly just bad habits that sort of explains what you see when you first start playing quickmatch.

Sorted out a build I liked, won my first pub match with Rexxar.

1. GrizzledBear/Hunter-Gatherer/Flare (biased towards Flare)
4. Hungry Bear
7. Bird of Prey
10. Bestial Wrath (been using this more than Boars)
13.Wildfire Bear/Barkskin (Radiance Bear is when things are ez)
16. Feign Death
20. Spirit Bond.

Once you get Bird of Prey you can quickly solo camps and nuke creep waves. You can solo pre-7 but it's slow without some damage to back you up.

Ketch

Hmmm, after playing a half dozen QM games here's what I've got so far:

1. Block or flare, regen master is broken right now don't pick it

4. increased slow - the other options I tried were lifesteal and extra minion damage, I feel the increased slow synergizes with the rest of my build better.

7. Rhino blood - i tried everything except for extra minion damage at this tier (it sounds like i need to try that next), Rhino blood tho makes your bear fucking invincible.

10. Bear buff. I tried boars like 3 times and it's just so underwhelming.

13. burning rage - combos great with increased slow and rhino blood, keep bear alive in the mix doing damage to everyone forever.

16. The only talent I probably wouldn't take her is probably the heal. I prefer either feign death or increased atk speed. once I realized feign death was just his ice block it made a lot more sense. Increased attack speed for when you dont need ice block, it synergizes better with the build and lets you do a little bit bursty damage. And of course imposing for when you need it.

20. nexus frenzy or hardened shield. The slow on the bear is rediculous

kirblar

So I saw this and all your other post and juice's post earlier and was going to write something, but I was at school and on my phone so I was like whatever. But I saw you in teh game and decided to peep your profile.

You seem to only play against AI, at least lately when it comes to complaining about these players you're matched with. There is a ceiling cap on that mode. Both you and the people you get matched with are not getting better, which is why you feel like you continually get matched with shitty people. You see people playing it like it's LoL or whatever because they haven't been forced to adapt. They haven't been forced to get better at Hots.

Get out of playing against the AI. I don't know if you think QM is more toxic or what (you seem to have played a fair bit at least), but you're just going to be getting the same shit if you stay there.
Are you fucking kidding me with this post? No shit. Of course he's doing bot games for dailies if he's finding HL miserable and QM intolerable and is primarily playing LOL right now.

Congrats on the backfire.

Alur

Are you fucking kidding me with this post? No shit. Of course he's doing bot games for dailies if he's finding HL miserable and QM intolerable and is primarily playing LOL right now.

Not sure how it was a backfire. It's pretty much like he said.

Dude complains fairly often about these shitty players he's with. His team is always bad or there's someone on it who sets him off. If he is playing AI and complaining then there's not really anything to complain about, it's AI. Getting mad about bot games is beyond the pale of even PJSalt enthusiasts. Milly can't even get a rise in a bot game.

If it's real games then like several of us have said before, analyze your game and improve yourself to make these games better. You can't do shit about anyone else. No doubt those brackets are far shittier than others as we discussed ad nauseum about two weeks ago in the "stuck" debate, but the bad shit/bad plays/bad comps goes both ways at pretty much every level of play. If you can't deal with that then maybe it's not the game for you. But I don't think another moba will be either in the long term.

Rhaknar

But Kirby, what backfire? Unless you mean yours :p

Indignate

Okay?

Point still stands. He's in here complaining about his teammates in bot games and how he seems to always be matched up with these shitty players in bot games and how nobody wants to take advice in bot games and how he seemingly hates playing bot games because of it.

To be frank, it's a "put up or shut up" situation. Those teammates in bot games are not going to get better. He needs to work his way through QM or HL up to a point where people aren't as shitty or smurf it if he feels like his mmr is fucked beyond saving.

Or he can just jump over to League to start this whole process again cuz I'm sure he won't hit a similar ceiling there. Smite is pretty fun. He can do that one next after.

Just to put this out there; Dice, I ain't trying to pick on you here, even though it may start to seem like it. This is honestly just general advice for people who get in this situation of hating their current "placement" in the game. If you don't want to put in the effort to get past the shit you're being put with in your matchmaking, then maybe this game isn't for you and hopefully you have better luck in League.

kirblar

Not sure how it was a backfire. It's pretty much like he said.

Dude complains fairly often about these shitty players he's with. His team is always bad or there's someone on it who sets him off. If he is playing AI and complaining then there's not really anything to complain about, it's AI. Getting mad about bot games is beyond the pale of even PJSalt enthusiasts. Milly can't even get a rise in a bot game.

If it's real games then like several of us have said before, analyze your game and improve yourself to make these games better. You can't do shit about anyone else. No doubt those brackets are far shittier than others as we discussed ad nauseum about two weeks ago in the "stuck" debate, but the bad shit/bad plays/bad comps goes both ways at pretty much every level of play. If you can't deal with that then maybe it's not the game for you. But I don't think another moba will be either in the long term.
I have played barely any live games in the last two months because of my very negative experiences in HL.

I was going to test the waters again after the Solo/Duo change was implemented.

If you look at my record recently, what are you going to find? Bot games. Why? Beause everyone needs to do their goddamn dailies. I want to minimize my cash outflow!

If you or anyone else really think me, or Dice, or anyone who's cut back on the game is getting mad at BOT games and using that for the basis of our analysis, I cannot comprehend the lack of common sense necessary to come to that conclusion.
Point still stands. He's in here complaining about his teammates in bot games and how he seems to always be matched up with these shitty players in bot games and how nobody wants to take advice in bot games and how he seemingly hates playing bot games because of it.
Because he is not talking about his Bot games when venting his frustrations.

Being a DOTA player, you may not know that HOTS has dailies. The best way of doing those if QM is pissing you off? That's right, Bot games. Lots of them.

If you stopped cyber stalking, you might have taken a second to come to that conclusion on your own.

edit: The HL problems are systemic and very real. SolidJake, one of those super nice chill guys, even dropped a "I can't do this any more if it stays like this" ultimatum on stream a week or two ago prior to the Solo/Duo changes because it was just that awful. ZPs is talking about dropping HOTS for Overwatch when it comes out as a stream game. The game has a ton of systemic issues right now that crap on the good basic gameplay.
But Kirby, what backfire? Unless you mean yours :p
Uh, no

Alur

If you or anyone else really think me, or Dice, or anyone who's cut back on the game is getting mad at BOT games and using that for the basis of our analysis, I cannot comprehend the lack of common sense necessary to come to that conclusion.

No, I don't think either of you are posting about bot games...but admittedly, he's been playing bot games yet several times a week he posts about bad experience A.

Bad experiences, posting, all that is fine. Expecting no one to comment on it after a while, particularly when you ignore any attempt to help? That is something I cannot comprehend the lack of common sense in.

This is honestly just general advice for people who get in this situation of hating their current "placement" in the game. If you don't want to put in the effort to get past the shit you're being put with in your matchmaking, then maybe this game isn't for you and hopefully you have better luck in League.

This is basically the deal. If you are stuck in a rut, you gotta play your ass off to get out of it. As you know full and well kirblar, I'm firmly on your side that people who do not deserve to get "stuck" do get "stuck". However, as we discussed at length in this thread not too long ago, it's not actually "stuck". It's just a long ass climb. If you don't want to put in the work for that as Indignate said, that's fine, but old man yelling at the sky in Dice's case isn't helping anything either. Nothing Blizzard has done got you where you were/are in MMR. There's no one else to blame, you gotta grind it out or move on to another game. I don't foresee any MMR reset coming down to pike to magically fix things and no amount of composition tweaking is going to make it any better either.

You (kirblar) know/understand far more about this game's intricacies, strategy, and synergy than I do. That doesn't mean you can replicate that inside the actual game and I feel like that's where a lot of your's and dice's frustration comes from. Maybe you are a 3k player now, I know when we played together in the past you weren't close and I sure as hell wasn't either, but just because you can analyze a draft or know how a team is supposed to rotate doesn't mean it's going to happen for you inside a game or that even that particular strategy should work for you at your level and getting pissed at new players and whoever else you run into for not understand something like that does nothing more than put you on further tilt.

edit: The HL problems are systemic and very real. SolidJake, one of those super nice chill guys, even dropped a "I can't do this any more if it stays like this" ultimatum on stream a week or two ago prior to the Solo/Duo changes because it was just that awful. ZPs is talking about dropping HOTS for Overwatch when it comes out as a stream game. The game has a ton of systemic issues right now that crap on the good basic gameplay.

The game does have a ton of systemic issues but our personal good or bad MMR has shit all to do with that and that is how your game is determined which is what this discussion is about. You rise or fall based on your own merit. You suffer through the stupid picks and win as needed a-la Ketch and davemo, or you just don't play. If you are better you will go up. The games will get better. The issues with rank and all that are pretty fucking secondary for average folks like us. It's a different story for people like ZPs who have 3600+ MMR and there aren't enough equivalent players to match them with. There's plenty of 1700's and 2900's and everything in between for everyone else.

EDIT: Also I love how bringing up someone bitching about bad games is cyberstalking. He looked at his HOTS profile to get some context. Wow. That is a real violation right there.

kirblar

I'm definitely not a 3K player. I don't think so anyway. I know the macro stuff. I have a long way to go (and a PC upgrade) on the micro stuff because I don't have the background.

The problem is that the systemic stuff makes the game just plain not fun. I had more fun in HL grinding out of my MMR hole than I did when I got to the mid tier again, because at least the players were consistently awful on both sides of the battlefield. I had shit teammates, they had shit teammates. One I got to the midrange newbie MMR hell area, nothing was consistent. It's like if you're grinding up the .5/1 2/5 poker tables and suddenly you have to do through a slot machine to get out to the 10/20 ones.

I'm not worried about my rank, I just want to be able to get out of the fresh newbie area without wanting to Yoshi-Chan my PC. It's that QM requires a large party (which I don't have) to get decent matchmaking w/ semi-real practice games in. Pointless games you grind out to get to the next one aren't fun, and QM tosses those your way enough that I don't like doing it. And so HL, where you actually get real games, is the answer, but the issues with matchmaking have just led me to not find that fun either.

Hopefully the HL changes help and make it less miserable. I just won't have time to test it for another two weeks or so though, so I'm eagerly awaiting feedback about it.

edit: I did figure out to win on BoE though - yell a lot about hanging back and ganking them when they go to ours. People generally followed the lead there because it was pretty simple to execute. If only every map were BoE.

Maledict

The issue with bot games is that you are basically guaranteed to get bad players. There's no MMR matching or team formation for it, so you just get the next 4 people playing. I do bot games occasionally for a fast daily, and at *best* you'll get a team that doesn't say much and just pushes their lane. Often I'm matched with people literally on their first game, who have no idea about the game in anyway.

Which is fine for bot matches, but if that's all you play you are going to constantly run into bad players who don't understand the game on any level. Just part and parcel of the game.

N.b. Not disagreeing the game has huge matchmaking issues, but then so does LoL and Dota as well. I think HoTs is worse but the change to solo / duo queue should really help (I think quick match is utterly beyond redeeming, and the sooner we get unranked draft the better it can die a horrible stupid death. Appreciate blizzard trying something new in a moba, but it hasn't worked).

kirblar

"Person using their bot matches to make judgements about the player base" is an invented straw man. No one is actually doing this, it's the voter fraud of the HOTS thread.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IEDIT: @Yoshichan, your Butcher's Beast mount you were worried about is apparently in the store now separately.

STORE IS TEMPORARILY DISABLED. HOW DO I FIX THIS?

Ah so apparently it's like this for everyone on EU... come the fuck on Blizz, I take a 3 day break and the first thing they greet me with is this?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So let's say 200 matches at 30 minutes. 100 hours of bullshit to maybe get somewhat competent games and god knows if it'll stay that way if I keep a more casual pace after that point because it already went to shit after no considerable loss streak once. Doesn't sound good to me. If that is the "put up or shut up" proposition then maybe the game is just shit because of what the new playerbase has made it. If that's really the only way that Blizzard can do things and absolutely nothing else, then yeah maybe I just need to finally call the hope dead.

I've had plenty of learning experiences in other genres. FPS and fighting games in particular are goddamn brutal when you're new, but your progress is clear and guaranteed and incremental in tandem with yourself. This is a straight-up gamble based on other people even recognizing what the game is, and a perpetual paradox where you have to have enough passion and care for winning to grind out that bullshit and up your game doing everything you can while simultaneously not caring what your teammates do or its results so you don't lose your shit when they make all the worst choices because they don't even know what they are playing.

I have had strategic disagreements before. I've been matched with very overbearing persons who yelled at everyone and ping spammed, and I've had games where I argued with such a person the whole game while we yet still both tried and fought alongside each other and won. Those didn't feel bad. I don't give a shit about that because you know what? They tried. They were upset because they cared. However if people don't care to even know what's going on or even speak, and don't care how things result, and I'm expected to be the one who makes up for them and carries us to victory? No. There is nothing I hate more. I'd rather lose than win with a team like that. I'd rather quit because "It's just a game, it's not worth it" but the game doesn't have a surrender because OH MY GOD just dropping it with an apathetic, undeserving team is a crime against humanity or something.

So the game punishes you for not being that altruistic savior by keeping you in that hell if you don't try your damnedest to the very end through a couple/few hundred games, or it might just keep you there anyway if you can't make up that much of a difference for shit teams often enough. So it's a masochistic wishing well? You really have to go through all that just to even get to a point where you're even playing the game you are playing with other people who are? Is it really that good once you get there or is that such an investment that the only way to get there is to be so invested that it's such a part of your life that you've made friends with others that invested the same so you can be a team?

"That's what it is, why are you mad? Why expect different?" Well fuck. Not everyone has been playing these for 10 years. Not everyone started on that or rode that train to today. As I said, I started this game in a whole different playing field. It was pretty damn good, then it was all upended in a couple weeks. Are higher MMR games like the way it was for me then? I don't even know. Maybe they're all assholes up there now. The way it was seemed like something perfectly well possible to have before, but now you're saying different about the reality of absolutely any game in the genre. If that's not it, then yes, I'm only just now realizing it by you guys saying that's how all of these ever turn out. It's really strange to me because bad players in other genres still seem to care to grow. What's up with most MOBA players?

Maybe I'll just fuck off and play Diablo until Overwatch is out if this genre really is so irredeemable.

Maledict

A huge amount of MOBA players are toxic, and there's something about the genre that brings out the worse in people. Blizzard have done their best to curb it with their game design, but in some ways that's made it even worse (no carries means a single bad person can screw you over even more than in dota sometimes).

ZPS was talking about it recently - the way HoTs works can make it incredibly infuriating to play sometimes when you get those bad match ups and team mates,.

FeD.nL

Hmm, Rexxar feels awkward to control in some situations.

I wish they'd done something more with Spirit link, like For each 10% of hp missing on Misha Rexxar gains 20% Atk speed and for Each 20% hp missing on Rexxar Misha does 20% Extra damage.

Out of curiosity, anyone playing HoTS on a MacBook Pro? I have one from a couple of years ago that I play on. I was kind of hoping it would be able to handle this game on high settings, but when I tried it gave me serious frame rate issues.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Holy Hell, all of Dice's complaining....is about AI games???!!!!! o_O

AI matches aren't meant to be balanced or competitive, they are meant to be practice and comp-stomps and guaranteed fast wins where you roll the AI no matter how bad you play or even if half of your team is AFK. I personally enjoy them as a relaxed environment to play stupid builds but yet have fun just playing the game. But QM's are always better quality matches, even the one's where you lose horribly and stupidly.

Dice, no offense, but the way you complain about every detail of HotS, I think you just don't have fun playing the game and you should stop and play something else. You are taking it way too seriously, it's just a video game dude. Either play to have fun, or stop playing before you have a stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom