• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

Well there's a relatively large contingent that can oneshot waves, but they werent tanks.

But yeah the implication of that statement is mind boggling lol

Also what he's saying about wave clear not being valued isn't wrong. No one really valued Knight Takes Pawn when Johanna came out. As far as I'm aware there's been no significant rework of Johanna's talent so it's the same now as it was at launch.

For our internal stats he's doing what we hoped in terms of win percentage and stuff like that. I think his Chain Bomb talent might be a little too good, so any changes we might do would be focused around that.

Doesn't sound like Kael is being nerfed again.

For Zeratul, I hope they just place wormhole at 20 at the expense of some generic talent and don't hit him heavily with the nerf bat. I say this as a frequent victim of the hero, I don't play him but I'm not a fan of making heroes worse so they're picked less. What they did to Stitches was not the answer. I don't know what the issue with Void Prison is. I mean it seems fairly balanced in terms of risk/reward at 10. It harms as much as it helps.

Ketch

- Tass and Tyrande have received changes to make them more viable solo supports internally

that sucks

facepalm.gif

totally not what they should be doing. adjust the other supports until tass and tyrande are on equal footing solo

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What does the tyrande/tassadar thing mean?

brian!

As far as i remember knight takes pawn was the go to since johanna was released

It's a really absurd thing to say in this game (like literally one of the most basic things in the game is clearing a wave to get ahead on a rotation), but the idea that they are using "yah ppl werent really into waveclear" as like the impetus for poor design decisions is prtty wack

brian!

I think a lot of ppl were trying shit out, but any build from a tier list after she was released listed pawn

And like i dont mind warriors having waveclear, it's just boring when two of them are way in front in that respect.

But the idea that waveclear wasnt a thing 6 months ago is destroying my brain

Ketch

smh at "6 months ago ppl didnt value waveclear as much"

in the game where the only resource is exp

and it's actually total fucking bullshit too.

Melting point, sledgehammer, extra tnt, and later on unstable poison, have all been near mandatory picks. some since alpha

People have always valued waveclear, they just dont value shitty talents like fury of the storm and the old merc lord and other crap like that.

They probably just made their heals stronger since heal strength is pretty much the sole metric for the class in HotS.

that's why it sucks.

i wish the other healers were brought down to tass, tyrande, and bw levels.

They should change wormhole to make it so your blink CD resets when you kill someone. risk vs reward. pay me blizz

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Healing buffed for them.
How is that a negative thing though?! I'm just getting the feeling that people aren't fond of this idea.

kirblar

How is that a negative thing though?! I'm just getting the feeling that people aren't fond of this idea.
Because it means their offense gets nerfed (aka they're assassins right now and turning into full healers is a change people who like them right now probably won't like.)

Ketch

Because it means their offense gets nerfed (aka they're assassins right now and turning into full healers is a change people who like them right now probably won't like.)

It's more like burst healing is dumb. Being a heal bot is boring. Tass, Tyrande, Brightwing do so much more then just: "push Q click teammate," and that's why they are interesting.

Rehgar used to be fun to play when he had lunge and blood for blood, then they turned him into uther junior.

And the thing is, you can still talent uther and rehgar in ways that make them more interesting/fun to play. But when the rubber meats the road you can't afford to talent them in any other way but to maximize their healing output because burst healing is just too damn good in this game.

The dream is for every support to be unique, with a niche to fill, picked for what they bring to the team comp. But right now the only thing that matters is how big their heal is.

So when they say they're buffing tass/tyrande solo support capabilities, to me it sounds a little bit like what kirblar was saying, but little bit more like they think big heals are good and they're just not.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In this thread Ketch aparently speaks on behalf of the entire community :p

Ketch

Sorry man. I just tell it like I see it, and try to explain why I see it that way. Feel free to disagree, I will do the same.

Alur

In this thread Ketch aparently speaks on behalf of the entire community :p

Ketch never met an argument he couldn't tackle. And never met a teammate who did more than ride Ketch's coattails to victory. He's kind of HOTSGAF's Chuck Norris.

EDIT:
I like big heals...dere I sed it wut u gunna do bruther when sustainomania runs wild on u

tumblr_inline_mylxpqRcG51s5jo86.gif

kirblar

I agree with your overarching design point re: healing Ketch, I just don't think it's something they'll consider until people show them repeatedly its an issue by abusing the fuck out of it.

Karazhim, new BW, Tass, Tyrande- I like all their designs. Uther is just stupid right now and I don't know where you even start.

scoobs

Kt getting nerfed again baffles the fuck outta me dudes fine

Build diversity on him remains shit. There is only one viable build and i think thats what they need to address more than anything. Chain bombs the only choice, make something else in that talent tier worth picking

Yoshichan

So summary of what's coming in future patches:

- Leoric and Jaina waveclear nerf
- Tassadar + Tyrande healing buffs
- Kael'thas living bomb nerf (again)

Correct?

For Zeratul, I hope they just place wormhole at 20 at the expense of some generic talent and don't hit him heavily with the nerf bat. I say this as a frequent victim of the hero, I don't play him but I'm not a fan of making heroes worse so they're picked less. What they did to Stitches was not the answer. I don't know what the issue with Void Prison is. I mean it seems fairly balanced in terms of risk/reward at 10. It harms as much as it helps.

W/o Wormhole at 13 QM might become miserable in many matchups with Zeratul. Once you are in an MMR range where you get spotted consistently any stun just destroys Zeratul.

I don't think bad players using VP to the detriment of the team makes it balanced. It's just too versatile. You can use it to lock in people into the fountain while your team has multiple seconds of hitting the core for free and you can use it to protect only your core from any damage whatsoever. You can isolate targets, you can save your teammates, you can set up wombo combos.

And all that w/o cast time nor telegraphing.

I hope they don't butcher Zera since he's by far my most played hero.

Schamtoo's out of THH. 2 pros + Team Maeby + Zoia is now the standard lineup.

Interesting, I liked Kevin, but he's gonna fade into obscurity now. He was streaming for a couple days after the last EU road to blizzcon but I guess he gave up after not attracting any viewers.

Milly79

Build diversity on him remains shit. There is only one viable build and i think thats what they need to address more than anything. Chain bombs the only choice, make something else in that talent tier worth picking

Build diversity is shit on multiple heroes, so not sure how that applies...

He does have a Q build still.

Maybe if they revert chain bomb to its original radius and keep its current damage buff, it wouldn't be as "absurd".

Personally think he's in a great spot, but whateverrrr.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I played a bit of Kharazim last night and I have to admit he is kind of fun to play. Very interactive healer who can do quite a bit of damage as well. A bit squishy though but I guess that's balance for ya. I may actually spend the 10K gold and buy him.

brian!

Yes, blizz's stance is pretty confusing with it too, sometimes theyll be like yo the stats are alright it doesnt matter, and then sometimes theyll be like oh yeah also the stats dont matter

Ketch

It's gonna be really disappointing when they nerf chain bomb but leave the boring ass +x% damage/range/radius talents alone.

Kael used to be so much fun. I strongly believe they can/could have reduced damage without getting rid of the combo aspect. But fuck it, let's just make everything boring.

Chain bomb just got a nerf and people are just now considering/experimenting with different builds. Give it some time.

Alur

Schamtoo's out of THH. 2 pros + Team Maeby + Zoia is now the standard lineup.

Interesting, I liked Kevin, but he's gonna fade into obscurity now. He was streaming for a couple days after the last EU road to blizzcon but I guess he gave up after not attracting any viewers.

I dunno how I feel about it. First and foremost, RIP to the podcast version getting uploaded in any reasonable time. Schamtoo was the one doing all that so that's gonna suck.

Secondly, all IMO of course, Schamtoo was the last bit of grounding wire that Town Hall Heroes had to the perspective of those that actually play the game because they like it instead of those who play/cast/stream because it's their job.

Again all IMO, but THH has veered dangerously close to being simply a group of elites complaining about x, y, and z in the competitive scene while further and further neglecting the other part of the podcast which was the in depth discussion about new heroes, changes, etc. Now it's simply a gloss over unless it affects competitive and after being boned on Johanna and Leoric the amount of new hero discussion has dropped considerably.

I listen to THH to hear about the tournaments and everything else, but I also listen because it's the highest level source of discussion about changes. When they spend so much time bellyaching about admins or how poorly 'x' tournament was run or how unprofessional 'x' caster was or one or two changes in a pile of changes (not saying these aren't warranted, but it seems to become more pronounced and drag out further as we go on), I feel like they are regressing instead of progressing.

Schamtoo was the least knowledgeable, but he did have some good points from the perspective of the actual player which is definitely something that benefited the show. Now we get more pros which is cool, but whether it'll be worth it I dunno from my POV.

Milly79

It's gonna be really disappointing when they nerf chain bomb but leave the boring ass +x% damage/range/radius talents alone.

Kael used to be so much fun. I strongly believe they can/could have reduced damage without getting rid of the combo aspect. But fuck it, let's just make everything boring.

Chain bomb just got a nerf and people are just now considering/experimenting with different builds. Give it some time.

No one wants to be a fucking stun-bot KT. Shits boring as fuck. I want to light people on fire.

Nerf Q build to put KT in harms way more often. Nerf W build to??? I don't see what they're trying to accomplish. They upped the base damage, gave Fission Bomb a dmg reduction and radius increase to actually make W a viable build.

I DO NOT GET YOU BLIZZARD. STOP TAKING MY MONEY.

I dunno how I feel about it. First and foremost, RIP to the podcast version getting uploaded in any reasonable time. Schamtoo was the one doing all that so that's gonna suck.

Secondly, all IMO of course, Schamtoo was the last bit of grounding wire that Town Hall Heroes had to the perspective of those that actually play the game because they like it instead of those who play/cast/stream because it's their job.

Again all IMO, but THH has veered dangerously close to being simply a group of elites complaining about x, y, and z in the competitive scene while further and further neglecting the other part of the podcast which was the in depth discussion about new heroes, changes, etc. Now it's simply a gloss over unless it affects competitive and after being boned on Johanna and Leoric the amount of new hero discussion has dropped considerably.

I listen to THH to hear about the tournaments and everything else, but I also listen because it's the highest level source of discussion about changes. When they spend so much time bellyaching about admins or how poorly 'x' tournament was run or how unprofessional 'x' caster was or one or two changes in a pile of changes (not saying these aren't warranted, but it seems to become more pronounced and drag out further as we go on), I feel like they are regressing instead of progressing.

Schamtoo was the least knowledgeable, but he did have some good points from the perspective of the actual player which is definitely something that benefited the show. Now we get more pros which is cool, but whether it'll be worth it I dunno from my POV.

I want to know the reasoning behind it. Apparently they didn't say anything last night about it? And the only thing I can find is Kevin saying it on Twitter. The way he said it leaves me to believe it didn't go over well, but I may be reading into that too much. I enjoyed him, but it won't make or break it for me. I guess it may, since he did the iTunes uploads...

Alavard

Am I the only one that thinks them using win rates as a the way to judge balance is...flawed?

Of course them using nothing but win rates to balance is a bad idea, but I've never seen any indication that that's all they use. Best example I can think of is Nazeebo. He's been near the top in win rates for a very long time, and yet they still re-buffed Ravenous Spirit back not that long ago.

brian!

Theyve used winrates as the sole reason to justify both leaving a hero alone or changing a hero (and have also disavowed the usage of winrates for this purpose on some occasions)

but it's most likely a communication with the community error, it's really hard to believe that they would make decision based only on such fragile grounds, and in practice most of the changes are reasonable. Ive been pretty into most of the tweaks except when they changed up kael but it wasnt a big deal either

Ketch

Maybe it was Schamtoo's decision and they were just letting him make the announcement? Can anyone post the actual tweet?

Wait what? They do know they have an audience outside the US that can't tune in at 3 to 4 in the morning especially when every goddamn show on twitch has to be on fucking wednesday. I have like 3 shows I'm interested going on the same time at that day, when I should be sleeping.

You're right recent focus seems very competitive if not completely, I think they even cut short the last balance patch notes discussion and pretty much only discussed heroes that are meta.

Not to mention without Kevin, Zoia is the only one left covering europe with Jake and Cooby barely showing any interest and I dunno how I feel about that.

It's not like they can invite EU guys easily once again it being between 3 to 5 am when they shoot.

They should try inviting one of the english casters from OGN for once considering the time difference is easier to manage there.

Of course them using nothing but win rates to balance is a bad idea, but I've never seen any indication that that's all they use. Best example I can think of is Nazeebo. He's been near the top in win rates for a very long time, and yet they still re-buffed Ravenous Spirit back not that long ago.

Theyve used winrates as the sole reason to justify both leaving a hero alone or changing a hero (and have also disavowed the usage of winrates for this purpose on some occasions)

but it's most likely a communication with the community error, it's really hard to believe that they would make decision based only on such fragile grounds, and in practice most of the changes are reasonable. Ive been pretty into most of the tweaks except when they changed up kael but it wasnt a big deal either

Didn't they mention once they had a wall that tracks a whole slew of stats in real time and that winrate is just one of those.

Milly79

Maybe it was Schamtoo's decision and they were just letting him make the announcement? Can anyone post the actual tweet?

Kevin Pearson ‏@Schamtoo 10h10 hours ago

To clear up a bit of confusion, to make room for the new Town Hall format, I am no longer a member of the show.

It's been a pleasure.

Kevin Pearson ‏@Schamtoo 13h13 hours ago

@Moonprayerrr I am no longer a part of the main cast of Town Hall.

Alur

Wait what? They do know they have an audience outside the US that can't tune in at 3 to 4 in the morning especially when every goddamn show on twitch has to be on fucking wednesday. I have like 3 shows I'm interested going on the same time at that day, when I should be sleeping.

I'm sure they do realize that, but the reason it was hitting iTunes so quickly in the last month or two instead of like the Monday of the next week was because Schamtoo took over all the uploading duties. I only know this because I asked Jake directly on his stream.

As for them having an EU audience, you would think they would also cater to that audience with more...prepared coverage. As you said, invite a caster or another manager type like Zoia who is integrated in that scene and make them a regular. I know they are super busy with this end of things, but there's no reason they can't have an outsider from their group bring that perspective.

Ketch

Yea that actually sounds pretty depressing.

Can they not fit 6 people on a Skype call?

I just have a heard time believing they would kick him.

Edit: they could have even kept him on in the background to do full time production during the show. Instead having the host fuck it up all the time due to multitasking

Alur

I just have a heard time believing they would kick him.

I highly doubt it too. It may be an MLG thing because they broadcast the show on Twitch. It may simply be him salty because they get invited to everything and he doesn't. It could just be a time based thing as he seems to be constantly busy with his MLG stuff, so they just mutually decided to part ways.

IIRC the Tempo Storm donkey twitter was tweeting/bantering with Schamtoo just last week or the week before and my assumption is that Zoia runs that.

I think these dudes are pretty good friends. Kind of like when C9 and Tempo talk shit to each other, but then post all over Twitter hanging out at events. It's a pretty close knit community or seems that way.

I'm sure they do realize that, but the reason it was hitting iTunes so quickly in the last month or two instead of like the Monday of the next week was because Schamtoo took over all the uploading duties. I only know this because I asked Jake directly on his stream.

As for them having an EU audience, you would think they would also cater to that audience with more...prepared coverage. As you said, invite a caster or another manager type like Zoia who is integrated in that scene and make them a regular. I know they are super busy with this end of things, but there's no reason they can't have an outsider from their group bring that perspective.

They did invite bkb from Virtus Pro 3 weeks (?) ago and once they had a skype call with Khaldor after BOB? just played their first tournament when Snitch was their guest.
So EU integration comes up every now and then and at this point I think more of a focus on Asian teams and meta would be the most interesting. NA has been discussed to death EU is not that different

They should invite Bakery and Dread together I wanna hear them discuss Monk.

Ketch

Well he works for mlg so it kind of makes sense he's not casting/observing esl run events.

Yea maybe mlg is putting him on something else.

But it still doesn't explain him not on the show unless I guess he just doesn't have the time... But I think if it's something you enjoy you make the time. And if it's not then You'd think the announcement tweet sounds a little different

Edit: watching thh now, why do people think butcher is good vs leoric? Leo crushes him in almost every facet except a straight up slug fest.

Milly79

Judging by the tweets I can't assume it was a time issue. I really hope they address it soon. Jake was posting on Reddit and answered a question this morning not related to Kev. The Kev thread went unanswered.

Ketch

I could understand them letting Kevin answer those questions tho. Like maybe he doesn't want it to be public.

But seriously they should have kept him on for production Jake is terrible

Moff

So I played a bit of Kharazim last night and I have to admit he is kind of fun to play. Very interactive healer who can do quite a bit of damage as well. A bit squishy though but I guess that's balance for ya. I may actually spend the 10K gold and buy him.

I hate playing melee
I hate playing support

but I love kharazim, so much fun and it feels useful playing him, great character, one if my top 3

kirblar

So summary of what's coming in future patches:

- Leoric and Jaina waveclear nerf
- Tassadar + Tyrande healing buffs
- Kael'thas living bomb nerf (again)

Correct?
Johanna, not Jaina.

Kael's issue, as it always has been, is that his talents aren't marginal enough, and his base damage isn't high enough. Jaina can get a bit more damage here and there- but it's not a necessity, and what damage she can get added pales in comparison to that which you already have.

When you look at things like CB and Pyromaniac on Kael, they're huge increases. (CB of course being situationally huge.) Kael going Phoenix, stun, flamestrike bomb on someone is fine- that's not where they need to fix him.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I hate playing melee
I hate playing support

but I love kharazim, so much fun and it feels useful playing him, great character, one if my top 3

I actually like support for the most part, I find Malfurion to be my favorite, but yeah useful is the best way to describe Kharazim. At all times I feel like I'm helping out the team no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom