• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

Well he works for mlg so it kind of makes sense he's not casting/observing esl run events.

Yea maybe mlg is putting him on something else.

But it still doesn't explain him not on the show unless I guess he just doesn't have the time... But I think if it's something you enjoy you make the time. And if it's not then You'd think the announcement tweet sounds a little different

Edit: watching thh now, why do people think butcher is good vs leoric? Leo crushes him in almost every facet except a straight up slug fest.

butcher is good against multiple warrior comps (which also allows him to focus ltts on priority targets if he can get in), which are based around running ppl over and pressuring w/ the front line.

thrall is a less good version of this w/ safer utility, they are both picked as anti-frontline heroes

Ketch

When you look at things like CB and Pyromaniac on Kael, they're huge increases. (CB of course being situationally huge.) Kael going Phoenix, stun, flamestrike bomb on someone is fine- that's not where they need to fix him.

I agree. But can you see how they're slowly getting rid of those combo interactions in the most boring way possible. Like chain bomb is a huge increase, but there's two talents that make work together to make it strong.

1. Living bomb spreads to other targets - unique, interesting, game changing even.

2. +% damage and radius - the most generic boring shit ever.

If they gut chain bomb (again) but leave the generic talent alone then it's the same mistake they made with ignite.

Ketch

butcher is good against multiple warrior comps (which also allows him to focus ltts on priority targets if he can get in), which are based around running ppl over and pressuring w/ the front line.

thrall is a less good version of this w/ safer utility, they are both picked as anti-frontline heroes

How is he anti front line? Maybe I just don't see it, and I don't think it shows in the games he's picked in either.

I've always seen butcher as anti melee assassin, not anti front line. Butchers brand gets wrecked by Cc and zoning. Which is what most warriors bring to the game.

Leoric and Johanna, the top two warriors atm, wreck him even more with on-demand unstoppable. Which makes his whole kit basically useless.

Ketch

Wow that's fucked up then.

We thought we could fire him and he wouldn't get upset and no one would notice. Guess not Woops!

brian!

How is he anti front line? Maybe I just don't see it, and I don't think it shows in the games he's picked in either.

I've always seen butcher as anti melee assassin, not anti front line. Butchers brand gets wrecked by Cc and zoning. Which is what most warriors bring to the game.

Leoric and Johanna, the top two warriors atm, wreck him even more with on-demand unstoppable. Which makes his whole kit basically useless.

you're hitting warriors, who don't have enough damage to kill you, and feasting on their blood

imo assassin butcher is prtty poor, I don't think furnace is very good and it's waste of a pick to have him just trying to blow up squishies w/ help. additionally w only really has value on high hp targets (unless you're like duking it out 1v1 on an assassin which doesn't really happen), if you're wailing away on the front line during a team fight w/ mark you're putting out a shit ton of damage and acting as a secondary tank at the same time

but i mean obviously butcher can have a great early game on certain maps when paired w/ like tyrande or something, but that style relies heavily on enemy team mistakes, you don't want to just pick him for that purpose
also comps that come at your rather than you having to chase them down help out thrall and butcher so much

They need to look at Kael's lesser picked talents and improve those. I don't think anyone picks any Lapsed Gravity talent outside of Netherwind. I don't think anyone picks Sunfire Enchantment.

They need to ditch his level 4 generic talents--there is no reason Kael should have Envenom and Gathering Power is just terrible now--and shuffle some his lesser used talents around.

Alavard

you're hitting warriors, who don't have enough damage to kill you

Lots of the warriors have built in counters to the Butcher though. They don't need to stick around to fight hiim.

- Leoric walks away, baiting out the charge, and Wraith Walks out of it.
- Johanna does the same thing with her D, and blinds if necessary
- Muradin does the same thing with Dwarf Toss, and has his own stun if needed too
- Anub'Arak has burrow charge

Even Rexxar has Feign Death.

brian!

none of that stuff really bothers butcher though? if you're looking for a killer melee assassin you're looking for things like illidan and zeratul

butcher is there to counter warriors running over everyone, making them run away in fear is great

oh I think I wasn't clear, I'm talking about butcher as a counter to melee(generally w/ at least two warriors) comps

if we're talking just about butcher vs. warriors, butcher wins any isolated exchange but that's not really worth talking about, mainly thinking about early/mid/late utility and how butcher plays against comps that take advantage of heavy melee zoning and pressure

it's not about getting kills, in a teamfight what thrall/butcher can do that others cant is burn down an aggressive front line, maybe the front line retreats maybe they dont, but a front line advancing onto your team takes away the melee weakness of butcher/thrall and allows them to just wail targets, whereas most of the time if you're trying to like kill valla or some shit they'll just peace out. basically it's an adc line of thinking, where you are in position to do as much damage as you can to the closest target, and butcher/thrall do a shit ton of damage to ppl who present their bodies to them.

sonya is a lesser example of this too, ppl are seeing success w/ her because they are running her in comps that neutralize her mobility and sticking weaknesses (using comps that only run forward like the 4 melee comps, bw/uther, etc.), but she is more of an aggressive melee assassin rather than a counter-engage assassin

Alur

I'm not a Kevin stan by any means for sure, and I love these dudes and the show...but seriously WTF. LOL, as the popular phrase goes - I literally cannot even.

IMO the 2 pros in each show thing has been wildly hit or miss. When they had Dunk on as one of the two the last time, he hardly talked at all. When he's on solo as the sole guest, he's probably the most entertaining person they ever have. Seems like a cop out to me.

brian!

my question is why is zoia part of these things as a host
like he'd probaby work great as a guest, aren't hosts just supposed to facilitate really while their guests drop dat knowledge

disclaimer: have never watched an entire episode of thh

As a Leoric I'm not running away from The Butcher in fear. I'm getting out of Brand's immediate range, tagging him with Darin Hope and bullying him out of lane. He charges me? Wraith Walk, I don't even have to move, I just shut down the ability. Johanna shuts down Brand as well with her blind and her interrupt and is probably the worst warrior for the butcher to try and manfight in the middle of a teamfight.

The only warriors Butcher will dunk on are ones that people barely play. But even then ETC and Diablo have tools to deal with the Butcher. Chen's kind of bad against The Butcher. Stitches would flat out lose.

kirblar

Jake, Cooby, Zoia all work on the game 100% of the time. Schamtoo does not. It was showing, and it was something that was getting worse over time instead of better.
check out game 1 and 5 for what I mean, I don't think I'm any good at writing it out, it has nothing to do with butcher 1v1ing warriors but how playing against warriors really helps butcher succeed and how he is the best anti-tank hero
In large part because his weakness is burst damage and triple tank isn't going to have that?

Alur

Jake, Cooby, Zoia all work on the game 100% of the time. Schamtoo does not. It was showing, and it was something that was getting worse over time instead of better.

That's precisely why they needed him, though. Each episode gets deeper and deeper into the scene and complaints about it from their perspective, but the actual game is forgotten. The show was best when it was a mix of both and none of them actually play the game on their own free time outside of Schamtoo, so they have legit zero clue when they are coming off as entitled or bellyaching.

He was the dose of actual reality for the bubble they live in and contributes far more to the discussion than Zoia ever does (and I like Zoia the best of all of them). Without that perspective the show is going to become a pot of misery unless they can find a way to channel a little more optimism back into it in places because that was the role he filled.

brian!

In large part because his weakness is burst damage and triple tank isn't going to have that?

yeah absolutely, tho I don't think these games have 3 tanks

even with a lack of burst, I don't really enjoy butcher/thrall/sonya without some sort of speedup help. it works fine if you're on comms running a melee comp I guess and everyone is on the same page for engage/disengage

like the meta for the past few months afaik has been sustain -> burst (taking out priority targets) -> tank (putting burst on cooldown and running them down) -> anti-tank (sustained damage), i wrote the way the metas counter the previous meta in a simplistic way in the parentheses, it's obviously more complicated but I feel like that's pretty much the gist. meta shifts are heavily affected by power shifts and patches and new tech too

kirblar

That's precisely why they needed him, though. Each episode gets deeper and deeper into the scene and complaints about it from their perspective, but the actual game is forgotten. The show was best when it was a mix of both and none of them actually play the game on their own free time outside of Schamtoo, so they have legit zero clue when they are coming off as entitled or bellyaching.

He was the dose of actual reality for the bubble they live in and contributes far more to the discussion than Zoia ever does (and I like Zoia the best of all of them). Without that perspective the show is going to become a pot of misery unless they can find a way to channel a little more optimism back into it in places because that was the role he filled.
That's the thing, they want to be deep into the scene. There's more casual-oriented groups out there. The problem with Kevin's "optimism" is that it could often be blissful obliviousness. It's fine to have a contrary opinion, but if you have a contrary opinion because you're literally not watching/playing the game, it's not a good opinion.

How on earth are you saying that Jake/Cooby/Zoia aren't playing this game on their own?

Actually it did get better on the last show he was on he called the other hosts out and was proven right even though they shouted over him when they were wrong and he started casting on twitch too.

Really not giving him credit there.

brian!

they play the game but they aren't very good, which is why it's good to have pros on it.

really it should either be two hosts + 1 guest, or 1 host + panel of guests imo
if it's just a chillout stream it doesn't really matter

im assuming jake and cooby are contractors and not full-time w/ blizzard or they wouldnt be partnering w/ zoia all the time due to conflict-of-interest and whatnot

Alur

That's the thing, they want to be deep into the scene. There's more casual-oriented groups out there. The problem with Kevin's "optimism" is that it could often be blissful obliviousness. It's fine to have a contrary opinion, but if you have a contrary opinion because you're literally not watching/playing the game, it's not a good opinion.

I've never heard him state anything that was completely oblivious like you hear on Into the Nexus or see on these forums or read on reddit. A different POV, sure, but as Familie is saying there's been times where he's called them out for being stuck too far into their narrow mindset without seeing the bigger picture - particularly Zoia.

As he said, I don't think you're giving him enough credit.

I think you are misunderstanding my point either way, though. Being deep into the scene is fine, but the longer they continue to bitch endlessly about trivial happenings in said scene while glossing over their thoughts on actual changes and new heroes because they are afraid we'll hold them to their word, the harder it will be to grow the show.

They can esports all day and I love hearing that, but when a patch hits I want to hear about all of it because in the competitive scene we often end up seeing all of it by the end of that cycle, not just the 3 parts Zoia thinks are relevant to Tempo Storm right off the bat. It's a high level information show. Now we just get "x" hero got bodied, or new KT is ridic OP more than old KT. Sure. I can read that anywhere. Tell us why, that's what you did before. That's why people listen because of your perspective, not just a fucking ESPN First Take #hottake.

A few months ago that is what the show was and that is why it was awesome.

Now it's NA e-sports talk devolving into off-topic. It goes back and forth between those two things for 80% of the show at this point.

How on earth are you saying that Jake/Cooby/Zoia aren't playing this game on their own?

They really don't play the game on their own. Jake plays on stream from time to time when he has time, but he very rarely has any time in the past few months. When new heroes release, most of them have not even bothered to play them unless, again, Jake has time to stream on launch day. Cooby is always too busy. Zoia doesn't play them himself he only watches the scrims, etc.

Repeatedly they say "haven't had time to play this week" or Zoia talks about how he never plays the game and he doesn't even like to watch the scrims or other competitive games as he's kind of bored of it/over it or was until SEL started.

Your argument about them being invested in the scene can just as easily be directed at Cooby's lack of time as it can Schamtoo's. The difference was one was tied to ESL and the other to MLG so one still gets included.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I love the show despite the way I feel it has devolved because I like these dudes and their camaraderie. Much like you guys say here in this thread about HOTS, though, that doesn't make the show immune to criticism when it's warranted and to me this is as hokey, badly handled, and short sighted as Blizzard's implementation of hero league which they bitch about every single show.

kirblar

The big patch note shows still happen tho I think?

I wish they'd dial back on the tournament stuff and go more into strategy, because recapping random events that you can just go watch yourself isn't all that interesting to me. (This weekend = not random and deserves the time it got.)

Alur

They do, but they used to go almost line for line. Now they spend so much time getting caught up in rehashing stuff or getting sidetracked by Zoia that they only hit the high points.

Like you said, I'd love if they went more in depth on the actual "why" of things instead of just giving blanket statements or letting Zoia go bonkers and mic drop and then everyone else say "shots fired" and that be the end of it. Zoia shots fired is entertaining, but it detracts as much as it adds because he'll completely shut down a topic if he doesn't want to talk about it without giving anyone else a chance.

That's why I don't understand the two pros thing. When Glau and Dunk (I think it was those two, it was Dunk + someone) were on, Dunk barely contributed and it's not like several of the other pros have been exactly captivating or forthcoming.

It just feels like they have taken good feedback from segments with Dunk alone and dudes like CyaSteve which were legit awesome, but forgot about all the people who've came on were just bland as hell. Seems like it would've made more sense to just rotate people out when the opportunity presented itself than to force it and also force a founding member out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
oh HELL yes. Which stream should I be looking at for Medic action?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
see i might as well just stream murky if you promise to watch

let me just check with my calender

Alur

If Jake is free he will stream medic. If not I'm sure ZPs or chu will do it once it's up.

I can't wait for dis shit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Heroes of the Storm will continue to get more new characters from Blizzard's many universes, though Gonzales could only offer vague hints on where they might go next.

"We do have some other stuff that might be quickly spinning up from other universes that we said we weren't going to visit soon, but we might be visiting them sooner," he said. "We have some classic characters that are getting a bit more heat. We have a BlizzCon character who has a very unique control feature coming up."
That sounds like Overwatch and for the classic character... maybe Blackthorne?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
What does "BlizzCon character" mean?

is there some sort of other mascot or logo for BlizzCon that isn't Murky or ETC?

Yoshichan

Please link medic stream as soon as it's available (I have Internet bandwidth cap so I can't afford having tons of streams up running simultaneously).
That sounds like Overwatch and for the classic character... maybe Blackthorne?
It's a shame that the first Overwatch character for Heroes will most likely be Tracer:

merBVFl.jpg

... when there are much, much superior characters like m'fucking Winston!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Please link medic stream as soon as it's available (I have Internet bandwidth cap so I can't afford having tons of streams up running simultaneously).

It's a shame that the first Overwatch character for Heroes will most likely be Tracer:

Given who they've been marketing the most, presumably Winston will be #2.

Alavard

Artistically I agree, I'd love some Winston or some of their other zanier looking characters. But Tracer's abilities will super easily adapt into the game. Her time-rewinding ultimate is a classic moba ability.

Yoshichan

Given who they've been marketing the most, presumably Winston will be #2.
I hope so!

Also, do you (all) think that they'll make the Overwatch characters insanely overpowered as a marketing strategy for the actual game? I mean, if Tracer is brokenly good - she will get plenty of attention. Attention that in some way may lead to the person looking up Overwatch and try the game out.
Her time-rewinding ultimate is a classic moba ability.
Please educate me! My incompetency within the MOBA genre is astonishing! :p

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

I was browsing some old Heroes threads and noticed this:

1 year and 3 months later:

It's never too late to ask for that Murky fetish skin that you've always wanted!

Alavard

Please educate me! My incompetency within the MOBA genre is astonishing! :p

The hero Weaver in Dota 2 has the ultimate ability Time Lapse:

"Weaver warps backward to whatever position it was in five seconds earlier--regaining the HP and mana from that time. No effect on cooldown, gold or experience."

(I'm relatively certain League has a champion with a similar ability).

Tracer's ability (my bad, I thought it was her ultimate) recall does the same thing:

"Tracer bounds backward in time, returning her health, ammo and position on the map to precisely where they were a few seconds before."

Edit - In fact, having her recall also be a core ability for Tracer in HotS rather than a choice of heroic would be super interesting. If she was super fragile, but able to relatively often heal up by going back in time, that could make for some crazy plays.

Yoshichan

The hero Weaver in Dota 2 has the ultimate ability Time Lapse:

"Weaver warps backward to whatever position it was in five seconds earlier--regaining the HP and mana from that time. No effect on cooldown, gold or experience."

(I'm relatively certain League has a champion with a similar ability).

Tracer's ability (my bad, I thought it was her ultimate) recall does the same thing:

"Tracer bounds backward in time, returning her health, ammo and position on the map to precisely where they were a few seconds before."

Thanks!

Man, I don't know what I'm more excited for now - Tracer in Heroes or Overwatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom