• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

He does the same shit that a lot pub scrubs do. He assumes that a players/teams MMR or win rate validates or invalidates their "opinion" and I put that in quotes because it's actually someone's analysis that hes discounting.

Like he needs to listen to the whys and then discuss the merits of those reasons. Instead of the bullshit that everybody does: you lost to it so of course you don't like it. And they all do it to an extent.

It's so stupid, completely blocks off an entire level of thinking/conversation to the wider audience. Which I guess is what Brian is talking about
I don't think thats the case- the one time I remember him visibly having to hold himself back from laying into someone was when MadTimmy was shit-talking Far Sight talents (because MadTimmy was drastically undervaluing the information they provide.) That wasn't because Madtimmy was a "baddie", it was because his opinion was terrible.

Ketch

yea it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often. And I don't know if it's the way they honestly think or if they're just puttin on a show, but either way it's still detrimental to the conversation.

Alur

Jake looked really bummed when they were talking abou game longevity

I dunno why. Blizzard is getting behind the pro scene more than ever before. Tie ins to the game bring new Blizzard fans in from their other games, and I feel like we are still pretty early in the process of awareness being raised about how this game stacks up compared to Dota and League as far as fun and accessibility versus just merely "4 casuls".

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I can't see it failing and can't really seeing it being any worse than 3rd among MOBAs, and could still realistically see it gaining ground on the other two over time.

subwilde

I legit think you'd be great at it.

I don't personally have the knowledge (or the voice LOL) to do something like that, but I do believe with the people we have here on the forum and how invested a lot of us are in the game that GAF could do something cool with it.

It's not too hard to be honest. Set up an iTunes account, get an rss feed going, and produce the show/promote it. As long as you aggregate each person's audio recording it will sound good. I hate when I hear a podcast recorded over Skype or the likes. Get a couple bumper tracks so there's no cold starts/hard cuts. Of course the talent and show structure but those can be improved as the show progresses or ironed out from practice runs.

brian!

Ive noticed more examples of ppl saying that theyve taken a break due to things like mm and hl being bad

Scylol pointed towards lack of depth in the game, zoia talked about lack of quality streamers and how you can learn from a league stream even w/ the sound off but hots is a lot more opaque. Ppl in chat talked a bit about blizz support.

I can see a bit of what they are talking about; ive always felt good in the sense of "hey they are making moves, quality is going up, the state of the game is getting better (this is the most interesting patch imo)", but i have to admit that it's never gone beyond the sentiment that they are reaching a good point rather than achieving a good point. Because there are already situated mobas, hots has a lot of pressure to move quickly, to already be in a good state rather than a "shippable" state.

A lot of it mainly concerns ppl trying to get better at the game or trying to play it at a higher level and feeling actively blocked by the game itself, and a lot of ppl feel like if that population isnt cared for you end up with just like the target "casual moba" audience. I dunno how accurate it is, but the feeling is if that is the most catered to population the game wont last long, tho its obviously more complicated than that.

Duress

I'm guessing they're pushing for a monthly booster. 4 buck for a week compared to 10 bucks for a month seems like a big difference

kirblar

It felt like this game shipped "early", in a state way behind where it needed to be, because it needed to start making money. LOTV taking so long really seems to have done a number on their ability to progress.

Apparently anti-maphack stuff's in SC2 now, though, which means it should be coming to HOTS eventually.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
as a casual, i hope this game doesn't try to cater to the hardcore too much

look at Smash vs Street Fighter - even though SF is huge amongst pros in the FGC, Smash still makes more money by courting the casual market. i don't think Blizz needs to turn this thing into an eSports kind of thing for it to be a success for them.

kirblar

as a casual, i hope this game doesn't try to cater to the hardcore too much

look at Smash vs Street Fighter - even though SF is huge amongst pros in the FGC, Smash still makes more money by courting the casual market. i don't think Blizz needs to turn this thing into an eSports kind of thing for it to be a success for them.
SFV is actually dialing back a shit-ton of stuff to make the game more casual again. Short combos, high damage, input buffers, etc. I don't think you have much to worry about on that front- they want to be the easiest MOBA on the scene.

Alur

Ive noticed more examples of ppl saying that theyve taken a break due to things like mm and hl being bad

Scylol pointed towards lack of depth in the game, zoia talked about lack of quality streamers and how you can learn from a league stream even w/ the sound off but hots is a lot more opaque. Ppl in chat talked a bit about blizz support.

I can see a bit of what they are talking about; ive always felt good in the sense of "hey they are making moves, quality is going up, the state of the game is getting better (this is the most interesting patch imo)", but i have to admit that it's never gone beyond the sentiment that they are reaching a good point rather than achieving a good point. Because there are already situated mobas, hots has a lot of pressure to move quickly, to already be in a good state rather than a "shippable" state.

A lot of it mainly concerns ppl trying to get better at the game or trying to play it at a higher level and feeling actively blocked by the game itself, and a lot of ppl feel like if that population isnt cared for you end up with just like the target "casual moba" audience. I dunno how accurate it is, but the feeling is if that is the most catered to population the game wont last long, tho its obviously more complicated than that.

Yeah I see what you're saying.

My thoughts on people quitting over matchmaking or issues with hero league flow more towards the fact that I imagine a good portion of those people are a bit like some of us were discussing with burnout; those things are more like the straw that broke the camel's back than the real reason, where the real reason is most people can't spend hours per day playing the same game without getting tired of it no matter how great it is. I think most of you would say I love this game (maybe a little too much for some of you, heh), and there's some days I just could give less of a fuck about ever playing it again. I think that's even more exacerbated in mobas/online PVP games too due win/loss streaks and general luck.

RE: "reaching a good point" and "being at a good point" is pretty astute IMO. I think we are reaching that level. I do agree with the myriad of reddit threads who say they love the gameplay and the flavor and all that, it's just the features we lack. At the end of the day I play to play with my friends, though, so I try not to get too caught up in what we don't have feature wise. I get more worked up over balance issues and waiting for new heroes than I ever have a lack of bans or QM draft or what have you but that is just me.

As for people feeling blocked trying to get better at the game, are you referring to by their MMR/lack of understanding, or content, or what?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
SFV is actually dialing back a shit-ton of stuff to make the game more casual again. Short combos, high damage, input buffers, etc. I don't think you have much to worry about on that front- they want to be the easiest MOBA on the scene.

oh i follow SF quite closely, so i'm well aware.

removing the 'comeback' Ultra and replacing it with v trigger seems to make the game less casual, if anything. we'll see how high the damage stays as we get closer to release, too.

having said that, even as a high level SF player with several sticks, i don't think i'm going to miss 1 frame links. shit is the 'last hit' of FGs in terms of un-fun game design.

and that's good to know. i'm rather enjoying have an arcade-y moba to play.

Alur

It felt like this game shipped "early", in a state way behind where it needed to be, because it needed to start making money. LOTV taking so long really seems to have done a number on their ability to progress.

You are probably correct on the reasoning. That kind of hurts my soul cause I care absolutely zero percent about LOTV, so the fact that it may have hurt the game I do love for a period of time is depressing.

On the flip side now that they are soon to gobble up that entire team, I am excited to see what gear they can hit over the next 6 to 12 months.

a2de196149997cedc24a1dcef37e862b.jpg

This comes up every 20 pages or so it seems in here. they've said a million times that the podcast is a non-serious side project that they want to have fun with and goof around in while talking about what's up in the hots scene.

It will always be like that unless they have a serious change of heart. maybe it annoys people. Maybe the lack of a strict, driven competitive analysis podcast (or any other serious HOTS podcast, for that matter) makes people long for THH to turn into that. But when people try to take it more seriously than the hosts do and suggest it should be something other than what the hosts have specifically stated they want it to be, it makes me wonder.

They kicked Kevin presumably because they wanted to have room for additional pro insight and Kevin was just a face who was there and contributed nothing anyway. Kevin was getting on viewers' nerves too. But it's Jake, Zoia and Cooby's thing and they presumably do not give a single shit about what people think of their chemistry, analysis, language, etc. It's a laid back environment for them and a way to have some fun talking about what they enjoy. i don't understand people's obsession with criticizing their show format so much. Criticize their casting chemistry or whatever when they cast a tournament, not when they do a podcast that they don't even take super seriously.

I agree about the patch notes thing though. They seem to beat around the bush with patch notes too much especially when there are PTRs (well it's just PTR -> well we talked about it last week when it was PTR) and I wish they'd just decide on a specific show where they're talking about patch notes for one day or something because thats what tons of people really want to hear.

brian!

Yeah same, a lot of my criticismzsz are observational while my actual experience since like february is that i dont really play unless asked and have very little investment in improving my game, which is pretty much the relationship i want w/ the game. Totally agree w/ u on camel back breaking, but that it is from my position, ive also never seen such a volume of like horror tales come flooding out for this game at once (which still seem to not have anything w/ my own experience of the game)

I personally have no idea if the tap is running out for this game, i think this game has the best base model for what i want out of a moba (a lot of it has to do with short games and how concentrated it is), but this doesnt translate to a larger discussion about longevity, plus im probably not a good example of target audience having spent 0 dollars on the game and providing reverse advertisement through horrible and long posts and run on sentences that never seem to en

kirblar

This comes up every 20 pages or so it seems in here. they've said a million times that the podcast is a non-serious side project that they want to have fun with and goof around in while talking about what's up in the hots scene.
The Kevin kick indicated that's no longer the case, they want it to be more serious. Jake's said he wants it to be a E-Sports focused show.

Yeah I see what you're saying.

My thoughts on people quitting over matchmaking or issues with hero league flow more towards the fact that I imagine a good portion of those people are a bit like some of us were discussing with burnout; those things are more like the straw that broke the camel's back than the real reason, where the real reason is most people can't spend hours per day playing the same game without getting tired of it no matter how great it is. I think most of you would say I love this game (maybe a little too much for some of you, heh), and there's some days I just could give less of a fuck about ever playing it again. I think that's even more exacerbated in mobas/online PVP games too due win/loss streaks and general luck.

RE: "reaching a good point" and "being at a good point" is pretty astute IMO. I think we are reaching that level. I do agree with the myriad of reddit threads who say they love the gameplay and the flavor and all that, it's just the features we lack. At the end of the day I play to play with my friends, though, so I try not to get too caught up in what we don't have feature wise. I get more worked up over balance issues and waiting for new heroes than I ever have a lack of bans or QM draft or what have you but that is just me.

As for people feeling blocked trying to get better at the game, are you referring to by their MMR/lack of understanding, or content, or what?

These pro players are already scrimming 6-8 hours a day. They're already kind of burned out innately whenever they queue into HL just by nature of being a pro player.

HL is often a pathetic experience for those players, and they innately have a low tolerance with what they'll put up with by virtue of being pros. So they don't queue because they don't get anything out of playing with bad players and they lose the enjoyment of simply playing the game when they're not practicing with their team. If they were guaranteed to be matched with other players of their skill level, there might be some incentive to actually play re: skill development.

It's an enormous problem and that's why matchmaking is clearly cemented at the #1 spot of Blizzard's to-do list.

It will always be like that unless they have a serious change of heart. maybe it annoys people. Maybe the lack of a strict, driven competitive analysis podcast (or any other serious HOTS podcast, for that matter) makes people long for THH to turn into that. But when people try to take it more seriously than the hosts do and suggest it should be something other than what the hosts have specifically stated they want it to be, it makes me wonder.

They kicked Kevin presumably because they wanted to have room for additional pro insight and Kevin was just a face who was there and contributed nothing anyway. Kevin was getting on viewers' nerves too. But it's Jake, Zoia and Cooby's thing and they presumably do not give a single shit about what people think of their chemistry, analysis, language, etc. It's a laid back environment for them and a way to have some fun talking about what they enjoy. i don't understand people's obsession with criticizing their show format so much. Criticize their casting chemistry or whatever when they cast a tournament, not when they do a podcast that they don't even take super seriously.

I agree about the patch notes thing though. They seem to beat around the bush with patch notes too much especially when there are PTRs (well it's just PTR -> well we talked about it last week when it was PTR) and I wish they'd just decide on a specific show where they're talking about patch notes for one day or something because thats what tons of people really want to hear.

Well who but they have the opportunity to get pros on regularly, to give insight on the scene and to have an audience like that?

Even if we discuss it here it's not like they are gonna read it. We're just expressing our thoughts on the show and our hopes for what it could evolve into. Not to mention that the move to 2 pros was to make it better but then they go and don't integrate them properly into it.

As towards Schamtoo, I've not seen many comments supporting him being cut, much more thought there could have been better ways to change the format and even more going on how cooby and jake are identical twins.

These pro players are already scrimming 6-8 hours a day. They're already kind of burned out innately whenever they queue into HL just by nature of being a pro player.

HL is often a pathetic experience for those players, and they innately have a low tolerance with what they'll put up with by virtue of being pros. So they don't queue because they don't get anything out of playing with bad players and they lose the enjoyment of simply playing the game when they're not practicing with their team. If they were guaranteed to be matched with other players of their skill level, there might be some incentive to actually play re: skill development.

It's an enormous problem and that's why matchmaking is clearly cemented at the #1 spot of Blizzard's to-do list.

is this just a NA thing? The leaderboards published by Blizz had a considerable higher amount of pro players in the EU than NA and even in the downtime after regionals the EU players formed the EPL, just for fun afaik. Which was still going one as of yesterday.

brian!

Im just here to post my based thoughts on the first episode ive had of thh running in the background while i make arroz con pollo

Maledict

Yes, pro players in the EU and Korea are more active in hero league for some reason. we know the EU scene is larger than NA so its possible that there's enough at the higher levels to make for better games a lot of the time.

I expect to hear a lot at Blizzcon about grandmaters league and matchmaking though to be fair.

Yes, pro players in the EU and Korea are more active in hero league for some reason. we know the EU scene is larger than NA so its possible that there's enough at the higher levels to make for better games a lot of the time.

I expect to hear a lot at Blizzcon about grandmaters league and matchmaking though to be fair.

yep agreed

It's a shame that something that seems so dumb like this is holding the game back so much.

Then behind matchmaking is the long list of missing (yet seemingly simple) features. FeelsBadMan

How come Medic is still 15k, isn't it 15k for one week then it drops to 10k as usual? It's been a week right? Haven't played in a while, felt like playing her but don't really want to pay the 50% premium.

So Daniel informed me that Blizzard seems to take preorder receipts for the Artanis promotion and I just went and preordered from Amazon, put in a ticket and got the response immediately.

It says Artanis purchased, so I wonder if they'll take it aways again once I cancel my preorder. It's billed as a purchase and the requirement was just the preorder so idk.

Actually kinda want to play LoTV one day though.

subwilde

So Daniel informed me that Blizzard seems to take preorder receipts for the Artanis promotion and I just went and preordered from Amazon, put in a ticket and got the response immediately.

It says Artanis purchased, so I wonder if they'll take it aways again once I cancel my preorder. It's billed as a purchase and the requirement was just the preorder so idk.

I kind of want to do this now. Hopefully there's no penalty for gaming the system haha

For the people who are still active and want to play with low mmr like me what are your bnet tag ?

MM in QM even in soloQ is atrocious these days for me, last game for instance : 2 specialist (murky abathur) 2 support 1 warrior on my team vs 1 war 1 support and 3 assassins. wtf srsly.

TDLink

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out

1up

For the people who are still active and want to play with low mmr like me what are your bnet tag ?

MM in QM even in soloQ is atrocious these days for me, last game for instance : 2 specialist (murky abathur) 2 support 1 warrior on my team vs 1 war 1 support and 3 assassins. wtf srsly.

Started 2 weeks ago. Look up Vazjin#1598. I'm on 7pm to 10pm EST.

Alur

Since it was on the front page of reddit, I figured I'd throw my hat back in the MMR decay/stuck ring.

I have a bunch of accounts. 3 of them I play actively. One is rank 25...the other two are rank 1. Makes sense. After seeing the reddit post by the guy who played a smurf to rank 1 but was stuck in the mid range by his main account (much like myself), I did my placement matches on my "stuck" account to see how things would turn out.

I went 17-3 in placement. I got rank 25. I went 15-5 on one of my other accounts, got rank 6, and 11-9 or 12-8 (I forget which) on a third account and got rank 5. That just echoes what we already knew, placements weren't really based on anything but the MMR you already had. The amount of autonomy from the placements was a lot smaller than some had predicted and others preferred.

The whole thing is kinda shitty, though, to be honest. I have two accounts in HL with 3k+ MMR and rank 1, but the one I would prefer to play the most has games with 700 MMR folks every 3rd game (I'm ~2200 MMR, was 2025ish before going 17-3) and about half of the players I play with there are either brand new or are just not very good and are even lower than the 1700 starting MMR.

We already discussed how shitty it can be to climb out of that low MMR hole if you get stuck there like this one account of mine has.

I'm more curious what everyone thinks about an MMR decay so that games that were played at the launch of Hero League in February, for example, aren't weighted the same (actually they are weighted more heavily because they were the initial games) as games played today eight months later. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, particularly when you can reliably prove you are capable of better now in 2-3 weeks time instead of grinding it out over the course of months to get to the same spot.

TL;DR - old man yells at mmr clouds, plays Nova in lowbie HL to shit on them and boost his MMR but isn't satisfied

It's odd that our experience differs so much. My only account is roughly at 2.2k MMR, no idea if that's deservedly, though I'd wager yes, but the games where I get someone who truly has absolutely no clue is rare. I get games where some people are toxic and give up instantly but I can live with those. Makes it all the sweeter if we win.

Someone should look at MMR complaints per region.

Alur

It's odd that our experience differs so much. My only account is roughly at 2.2k MMR, no idea if that's deservedly, though I'd wager yes, but the games where I get someone who truly has absolutely no clue is rare. I get games where some people are toxic and give up instantly but I can live with those. Makes it all the sweeter if we win.

Someone should look at MMR complaints per region.

No clue. Everyone has different experiences. Myself and kirblar seem to have the same ones at this MMR range. At my regular 2800-3100 MMR ranges I rarely ever have any issues other than silly comps in QM.

Could be your standard for play is lower than mine since my MMR is higher for the vast majority of my play. /shrug. Could be you focus more on your own play. Who knows. Even beyond people who are clueless, however, you still see far more dc's, AFK, and BM at that range than you do at 3k MMR and up. Bad connections and attitudes kind of weed themselves out unless they can actually play and usually they figure out not to do it constantly like I typically see in lower brackets. Any of those 3 happening in a game is probably a 75% chance that the game is thrown at that point, so that part is extremely frustrating and I feel sorry for folks who are stuck in there and don't know that there are better games out there.

Mmr decay is necessary for ranked

I agree with ya. It's kind of silly one my accounts can sit rank 1 3100 til whenever they reset ranks, and my other account can sit at 2100 for months the same way and nothing changes unless I play a large amount of games. I'm sure it's something they'll get around to, just something that was on my mind.

Alur

That is true too.

I've seen more or less the same thing on 3 separate accounts (at different times) at that level and most of the reports here on GAF echo it, which is where my Gold or below perspective came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom