• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

I just won a game with Artanis (was a normal qm tho). I should upload the clip. Purifier + L20 talent to make it recast after target dies. Was a massacre. Got a quadra-kill. Good win :D

What made it so sweet it was our final push into their nexus

Alur

After talking to a bunch of people and watching some streams with some pros and the like, it seems like a lot of people feel he slots into a "protect the x" kind of role but he can't actually deal enough damage to be the thing needing protection.

I saw McIntyre reference a comp of Artanis/Tassadar/Kharazim/Muradin/Jaina or Valla a time or three.

How would you build around Artanis ideally comp wise? I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around what he does that's better than someone else.

His Q feels like a worse version of Illidan's Sweeping Strike due to being unable to cancel it when you would like. His W ain't terrible, but it's kind of a meh ability - not really trying to compare it to something else. It serves it's function to reset his passive. His E often functions as a poor man's Stitches Hook. The 4 second Blind definitely has a place, but the Purifier ult feels pretty damn lackluster. Even with all of that bitching, his abliities still feel satisfying and fun to play with. It's pretty weird.

Ketch

After talking to a bunch of people and watching some streams with some pros and the like, it seems like a lot of people feel he slots into a "protect the x" kind of role but he can't actually deal enough damage to be the thing needing protection.

I saw McIntyre reference a comp of Artanis/Tassadar/Kharazim/Muradin/Jaina or Valla a time or three.

How would you build around Artanis ideally comp wise? I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around what he does that's better than someone else.

His Q feels like a worse version of Illidan's Sweeping Strike due to being unable to cancel it when you would like. His W ain't terrible, but it's kind of a meh ability - not really trying to compare it to something else. It serves it's function to reset his passive. His E often functions as a poor man's Stitches Hook. The 4 second Blind definitely has a place, but the Purifier ult feels pretty damn lackluster. Even with all of that bitching, his abliities still feel satisfying and fun to play with. It's pretty weird.

I think ideally comp wise he gets picked as a safer replacement for illidan. he can't chase like illidan, but he's much tankier. and he can still 1v4 like an illidan if he has the right team comp behind him (and they don't just run away). I think he's decent, but there's so many other choices you can pick in his place... leoric, chen, arthas, tyreal, stithces, just throw another warrior on the pile you know. imho well rounded team comps are just always going to be superior to all eggs in one basket style team comps.

I think you're underrating the laser beam though. it basically either zones someone out or garauntees a 1v1. It's a lot like raynor's raiders but it cant get blown up early. I think if it's a carry artanis then laser beam is the ult to pick.

I think the only thing artanis needs is one change. Make his E be a more like a teleport that can also swap places with the enemy if it connects

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just wanted to give another thanks for those suggesting the $15 starter pack

having put some time into Jaina, Sonya, Zagara and Zeratul i'm having a blast with each of them. the only character i've essentially swapped out is Malfurion for Li Li and that was cheap enough gold-wise.

Zeratul feels like he has a pretty high skill cap... will be fun figuring him out, i think.

patchday

I uploaded the video of Purifier ultimate but it's nice that you can fire it off globally. For instance, earlier in that same match an enemy was going after Tribute. My Artanis was miles away so I fired off my Purifier to get the enemy Nova off the Tribute til my allies could get there and take it.

I'm not going to go say he's better than Mauldin/Johnanna/Leoric. I'm barely Level 4 with him. His kit is a bit hard to use. His dash will take you out of range of friendly heals sometimes. And you can get stunned out of it. His E can be hard to land at times. His W is great though.

Composition wise- could use a teammate with stuns. So they'll sit still while Purifier ult takes'em out. In the video, I got lucky the Boss rooted my enemies for me

Artanis would be much better if he became Unstoppable during his Q (back-and-forth dash). As it stands, he's a major liability against good players that can time a stun.

Alur

Yep. The lengthy animation of Q plus no unstoppable was a surprise for 3-4 people I played with yesterday. Then again they seem to be on an anti-unstoppable run for the past few months so I guess that might not be something we see going forward.

And agree, the lazer is a good zoning tool, but beyond that it kind of reminds me of old Nazeebo spiders or old (and new) Anub'arak beetles in that if it gets on em, it's great...but it doesn't get on them like I feel like it should.

Venus Van Dam

Neo Member
WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN INTO THE NEXUS WELCOME TO THIS PLACE YOU'LL RAGE AND THROW EVERYTHING WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN

haha I actually imagined that and it wasn't a pleasant view.

Somebody else having a ram memory issue? Every now and then, specially when I scroll through the map I have this freeze, sometimes having to reconnect to the server...and I'm pretty conservative with other apps running while HotS is open, so it's very weird.

I uploaded a video of Artanis clutch win with Purifier (the quad kill I talked about above)

Awesome win! I am really liking Artanis a lot, got to level 6 last night, had 3 crazy comeback games in a row. One was on tomb of the spider queen, we were down level 11 to 15, they were pushing our keeps at 12 min... managed to destroy all 3 of our keeps before we even got their forts down. We somehow managed to comeback and win with some big pick offs. The level 20 talent allowing purifier beam to recast if its target dies is super good. I wish it kept up with its target a little better but alas. I enjoy his playstyle a lot and having global ults is really useful. Definitely helped my team a few times with that.

I do wish you could choose to not go backwards with your q (maybe be able to press q whenever you want mid charge in order to stop). Not sure how balanced it would be but he does feel like he lacks mobility. I also wish his e had slightly more range (and moved a little faster, it travels so slow), and that you could swap an enemy when you are behind the gate. Its weird since the game allows you do to the opposite (I can swap through an enemy gate) lol, learned that one the hard way.

Definitely a hero that needs some coordination with your team to set stuff up.

I haven't really played much since the end of the butcher patch, but what the heck changed to bring Chen (and to a lesser extent Diablo) back into play? I remember feeling like Chen just wasn't worth picking.

kirblar

I haven't really played much since the end of the butcher patch, but what the heck changed to bring Chen (and to a lesser extent Diablo) back into play? I remember feeling like Chen just wasn't worth picking.
Both got buffs in the last patch. Stitches as well, tho he's almost certainly going to be getting more due to his still-bad winrate in HL.

Tenebrous

Is there a list of all promotions for buying other Blizzard games? I've everything they've released on Battle.net apart from the HS expansions, and I just want to be sure I've got all the freebies I can before spending the gold I've earned.

Maledict

I've decided having an unranked draft mode won't actually change anything for the game. The number of games I go into where one person instant locks a character without saying a word is ridiculous at this point.

Yes, Zeratul instant picked when we they have Raynor / johann a/ kael. That's not going to go wrong at all! :)

In QM the level of skill is more important than the actual team comp. I've had abysmal comps before and absolutely steamrolled great comps.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Why couldn't they just set it up like it works in Starcraft 2 and Hearthstone? Where you have seasons and at the start of each season your rank resets and you do a couple of placement matches to figure out where you should go rank wise, and then you play from there trying to get the best rank you can. Why wouldn't that be a good solution for HotS?

kirblar

Why couldn't they just set it up like it works in Starcraft 2 and Hearthstone? Where you have seasons and at the start of each season your rank resets and you do a couple of placement matches to figure out where you should go rank wise, and then you play from there trying to get the best rank you can. Why wouldn't that be a good solution for HotS?
This not being a 1v1 game puts a lot of very different demands on the matchmaker that make a straight up and down ladder system not very effective.

Maledict

So Artanis bug. If you take Zealot charge, and hit double strike as you hit the enemy, he's double strike twice (or triple strike if you take that challenge). With triple strike its 1683 damage at level 16.

You cant do it everytime, but christ its a lot of damage when you do.

EDIT: It's actually really easy to pull off. I can do it 100% of the time in the try mode. All you do is press A on a target, then when he hits with his auto attack immediately press your W. For some reason, it casts twice.

Ketch

Just watched them both - what the hell was going on in the draft? Why was TS forcing abathur / Illidan comps? And Malf as your support for Illidan? Chen, whom they have never played before in a tournament?

Also, their play in game looked rope as hell.

Beginning to think they were deliberately throwing the game tbh.

I doubt they are deliberately throwing, but it might be realistic to think they're trying out different strategies in a higher stakes environment. Seems like they're trying to adapt their style with arthelon on more melee heroes then before. Zuna and kaeyoh flex/ranged dps arthelon melee, 2nd tank?

i don't know, it seems real dumb to force players into specific roles instead of just having them get good at certain heroes. As a team they should be able to cover every high priority hero with multiple players so they're able to be more flexible in the draft.

I hope you didn't buy it yet, those streams are free. :p

the whole bracket is free for all right? for some reason I seem to remember not every match being watchable without the ticket last time. maybe i'm just getting it confused with heroes of the dorm.

I uploaded a video of Artanis clutch win with Purifier (the quad kill I talked about above)

god damnit that abathur. the entire time watching that i'm just yelling at the video: "Shield the core!" seriously... no shield on the core. wtf

This not being a 1v1 game puts a lot of very different demands on the matchmaker that make a straight up and down ladder system not very effective.

I think it would be fine, but what they should really do is just show the actually damn MMR. The rank system is just arbitrary bullshit that people whip out as an excuse to be toxic when it's really a complete indicator of skill (it's just all we have). Just show the MMR, it'll please the people who actually care and probably do a lot to silence the scrubs who just wanna have big epeens.

Blizzcon Groups:

A:

B:

rip tempo

kirblar

It seems like some might be off the main stage cause of how small a window they have relative to the number of games they need. Dunno if there's two heroes streams tho. The big stuff def should be on cam either way.
I think it would be fine, but what they should really do is just show the actually damn MMR. The rank system is just arbitrary bullshit that people whip out as an excuse to be toxic when it's really a complete indicator of skill (it's just all we have). Just show the MMR, it'll please the people who actually care and probably do a lot to silence the scrubs who just wanna have big epeens.
One serious issue they have is people with disparate MMRs queuing together. They need to implement something to address that- like LoL's +/- 1 league rule.

Ketch

It seems like some might be off the main stage cause of how small a window they have relative to the number of games they need. Dunno if there's two heroes streams tho. The big stuff def should be on cam either way.

One serious issue they have is people with disparate MMRs queuing together. They need to implement something to address that- like LoL's +/- 1 league rule.

what's the +/- 1 rule?

I think +/- 500mmr is fine, and I think by not actually showing the internal blizzard MMR they exacerbate the issue from people thinking they're getting matched with unfair MMR ranges more often then they actually are.

kirblar

what's the +/- 1 rule?

I think +/- 500mmr is fine, and I think by not actually showing the internal blizzard MMR they exacerbate the issue from people thinking they're getting matched with unfair MMR ranges more often then they actually are.
Gold can only queue with Plat, Gold, or Silver. Bronze only with Bronze/Silver. Keeps ranges from getting too big.

Maledict

I've definitely noticed that I get much more evenly matched games rank wise when I solo queue. In a solo queue game everyone tends to be within a few ranks of each other, but when I duo queue you get a much wider range of players.

Alur

I've definitely noticed that I get much more evenly matched games rank wise when I solo queue. In a solo queue game everyone tends to be within a few ranks of each other, but when I duo queue you get a much wider range of players.

Same, for better or worse. I've been trying to drag my main account out of the HL mmr pits and the games are decently matched solo. I get same thing on my other accounts at rank 1 (most rank 1-4 in each game). Not so much duo though.

patchday

Awesome win! I am really liking Artanis a lot, got to level 6 last night, had 3 crazy comeback games in a row. One was on tomb of the spider queen, we were down level 11 to 15, they were pushing our keeps at 12 min... managed to destroy all 3 of our keeps before we even got their forts down. We somehow managed to comeback and win with some big pick offs. The level 20 talent allowing purifier beam to recast if its target dies is super good. I wish it kept up with its target a little better but alas. I enjoy his playstyle a lot and having global ults is really useful. Definitely helped my team a few times with that.

I do wish you could choose to not go backwards with your q (maybe be able to press q whenever you want mid charge in order to stop). Not sure how balanced it would be but he does feel like he lacks mobility. I also wish his e had slightly more range (and moved a little faster, it travels so slow), and that you could swap an enemy when you are behind the gate. Its weird since the game allows you do to the opposite (I can swap through an enemy gate) lol, learned that one the hard way.

Definitely a hero that needs some coordination with your team to set stuff up.

Yeah I fear once people wise up to Artanis' Purifier beam its gonna get even harder to nail ppl with it.

Lol they deserved that loss. Only Nova tried to actually move out of it but it was too late.

In Nazebo's defense, he was rooted by our AI boss, so he couldn't move til it was way too late. But he should've been paying attention and tried to dodge the incoming root. Would've saved his life and they probably would've came back on us

god damnit that abathur. the entire time watching that i'm just yelling at the video: "Shield the core!" seriously... no shield on the core. wtf

Lol I was wondering why Abathur was running around like he was helpless and useless in that clip. I havent played Abathur yet myself but that player made a bad impression on me there

Milly79

Sure do love when you have feeders on your team. Call them out, they admit they're going to keep it up. Awesome. Hope Blizz bans them.

1So8SuW.jpg

Alur

Holy shit THH.

I said gat damn.

Zoia's reddit post:

Zoia said:
The point of the conversation was that this could potentially be prevented. This situation doesnt happen often because when there are issues no matter the reason rosters can get changed. If you take any team in NA that went through roster changes whether it was play or personality conflicts and suddenly tell them they cant for 6 months well we would have a lot less of the current teams in NA. We dont see this situation ever happen because every team went through changes. Our situation was very unique and I feel like it needed to be brought up. There is no individual who is at fault, there is no single toxic child that is ruining everything, its just a standard situation of people not getting along. But when a player knows and admits himself this is not the right place for me but cant do anything about it....its just shit. That is why I brought it up so hopefully we can prevent this in the future, whether it is orgs changing format or team managers/players being more aware of what can happen. I think this info will help everyone.

I mean...don't get me wrong, I get it...but really? C9 gets bodied - straight fucking destroyed - for ~4 months and pulls through, works through it. TS loses two or three tournaments and goes to shit? They didn't even lose that badly (Americas/WCA/THH Invitational). There was no talk about personality conflicts when they were winning, but then there never is. And 4 of them have been together for ages, so how does half the roster suddenly hate each other? I don't get it.

Pretty fucking pitiful if you ask me.

Ah well, long as Dread keeps playing IDGAF.

EDIT: Really, if it's so bad between them...why go through the sham of competing at Blizzcon? Let someone who deserves and wants to be there go. Retool your roster with the downtime before January.

kirblar

It's a lot of money still at Blizzcon and only a few weeks out.

This sounds like someone on the team doesn't want to be doing the full-time gaming thing and wants to go back to school. That's understandable. Also, probably not Dreadnaught.

Alur

Zoia said "half the team hates each other".

That sounds like more than just one dude wanting to quit gaming full time.

Alur

I didn't listen to the whole thing myself, just the opening statement which was "half the team hates each other, we'd have changed the roster long ago if we could, etc".

The rest was crib notes from reddit and Milly79. Just seems like such a huge opportunity to throw away over some bad results or whatever the deal is.

Not to mention the whole if you wanna root for NA root for C9 comment. Pretty damning.

He also mentioned that player(s) were fine with getting penalized for not working and the only reason he brought it to attention was that Blizzard has that rule disallowing roster changes before or during Blizzcon and how back breaking that is for his team.

Why and who of the team can't stand each other we don't know but in this case the team house probably accelerated the whole issue.

Khaldor btw was mentioning the same thing right after EU finals and how he hopes Blizzard will change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom