• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

I know i sound like a broken record, but you guys..... rexxar is pretty good.

You know when you got that moron on your team whose always way out of position, like too far forward. Misha is like that except there's no downside.

It's like, what if murky had a stun?

patchday

Hopefully they'll announce the pricing structure for Overwatch. If I had to hazard a guess it will be all heroes unlocked initially. Since part of the hook is being able to switch heroes on-the-fly during play. I always thought this made much more sense. MOBAs love to drown players with hundreds of heroes but since we cant swap in the middle of a match- why buy a bunch of heroes?? It would take many hours to master them all.

All that being said I still love HOTS. But I think Overwatch is on to a good thing and has a big edge over traditional MOBA

Not to mention you don't have to worry bout teammates feeding and getting the team ran over. On the bad side- snipers!!!! Nuff said

Alur

Not too surprising I guess. No big news has occurred in some time. Looks like after the dropoff it has stabilized to a pretty regular amount of people doe.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
:( sorry to hear that zoukka

patchday

Game seems plenty active too me. I never go to reddit. I just go read the hots official forum.

Hope you guys get into Overwatch beta though :)

I'm actually surprised how interested I still am in the game considering I just realized the other day that I've been playing this since April of 2014. Really doesn't feel like a year and a half.

I think we shunned everyone saying it away.

I just considered the correlation between us denying it while at the same playing less and less funny, personally I'm just not in a real gaming mood recently.

So I got the code for the Heroes of the Storm: Kaijo Diablo Bundle with my new GPU. I don't play the game and have no interest to do so. Is it worth anything? Should I just give it away or what?

Ketch

TTH talks about the dig vs YL disconnected and all agreed redraft is necessary in that situation.

Also the reason they had to regame is because the reconnect system is so bad that the bots won the game before anyone could reconnect. And it was the dignitas bots who won.

Made a push to rank 5, and then instantly got hit with trolls in every single game. Man its frustrating trying to rank up when your teammate last picks zeratul against a bruiser/ high health team, or a sgt hammer when there is no front line or reveal to protect her.

Or even better, being matched with a player lvl 31 at such a high mmr and they don't know how to do the kerrigan combo

I have to sit it to the side for now. Doesn't help that I far outpaced my friends, they are stuck in the rank 25-30 range.

Ketch

Made a push to rank 5, and then instantly got hit with trolls in every single game. Man its frustrating trying to rank up when your teammate last picks zeratul against a bruiser/ high health team, or a sgt hammer when there is no front line or reveal to protect her.

I have to sit it to the side for now. Doesn't help that I far outpaced my friends, they are stuck in the rank 25-30 range.

I keep running into this as well. I'll get to like 1 win from rank 9 and then its first pick gazlowes or novas last pick vallas when we need a tank. Haunted mines where they don't pick sylvanas and then force solo Tass support. I know that it's not really the rank but this random luck of the draw keeps biting me in the ass at the worst time.

They recordid it and uploaded it to SolidJakes youtube.

Lol the disconnected game was played out by bots, Dignitas won. Not even bots can lose at that stage with that comp.
Someone should make a botdrafting tournament.

Oh boy Jake and Cooby are casting the first game at Blizzcon

Oh yeah and a while ago there was a thread that Khaldor should have been casting at Blizzcon on reddit and apparently he's a diva to work with. According to the comments at least.

Milly79

Oh boy Jake and Cooby are casting the first game at Blizzcon

Oh yeah and a while ago there was a thread that Khaldor should have been casting at Blizzcon on reddit and apparently he's a diva to work with. According to the comments at least.

He basically went on to say that the comments made against him were untrue and they just didn't want him there. Apparently there's 2 videos on his YT that explain the situation.

Alur

IMO there must be some issue with Khaldor in a group setting - whether it's money, attitude, or otherwise - cause I can't fathom him being left out of everything for any other reason.

Would love to know the details from an unbiased 3rd party. He deserved to be there. Now he's already casting Overwatch scrims.

re: the "ded game/game is defeat": that was said in jest or to mock. I don't believe that at all, was just echoing the shitposts that keep popping up on reddit. It's basically the new "hots is for casuls/babies" we used to get all the time as the go to insult.

Yeah I wonder about that, there has to be something that makes them not invite him. In europe, despite their best efforts, he's the one with the biggest audience. He had more viewers than the main coverage of the RtB events he partook in.

His Overwatch scrims are interesting I wish I could play myself though, watching them stings.

Milly79

Is OW even going to be a competitive game/e-sport? If it's drawing all these comparisons to TF2, I don't understand it. I haven't see any pro scene for TF2. Then again, I've hardly watched any OW (barely paid attention when mewn was streaming).

Alur

Haha I like that he's taking the time to be so far ahead of the pack with casting Overwatch daily from top tier players of TF2 and devs and etc.

It's almost like he's subtly saying "you won't end around me this time Solidjake!"

EDIT: I dunno bout the casting but IMO it could be a better one than HOTS. Just depends on how popular it is and how hard they push it. It has the sick individual plays that HOTS lacks, but with the team aspect (and roles) we all know from mobas.

I have no idea how TF2 plays.

There's a usable observer mode already in the game so I guess they'd like it to become competitive.

Heck people watch Hearthstone which is a bore
compared to mtg
to me so anything is possible

Ketch

Is OW even going to be a competitive game/e-sport? If it's drawing all these comparisons to TF2, I don't understand it. I haven't see any pro scene for TF2. Then again, I've hardly watched any OW (barely paid attention when mewn was streaming).

There are "pro" matches of TF2, although I don't think it's much money. it's actually really interesting though. People have min maxed team comps and strategies to a very strategic level.

You can see it right here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjyDiPprzCnWtcq0wu34E-g

brian!

It has skills and roles and cooldowns and stuff, i havent really checked it out much but it"s definitely a plus to be able to say yo we have this matchup w/ two well known support players

Ketch

I dont think he's trying to call it a moba. just that it's more interesting then a straight up FPS.

I agree with that. If it's F2P I'll definetly check it out.

Alur

But it doesn't have levels, talents, lanes, minions nor structures

It does not, but it doesn't really need them. The way the heroes interact with each other is quite MOBA-like.

Honestly if you are interested in the game and how it compares to HOTS/other mobas and stuff, here's a pretty good article. There are quite a bit of 1-for-1 and like for like inclusions of abilities and interactions.

And yeah I'm doubtful of F2P. Gamestop is already taking pre-orders for XB1/PS4 versions so that seems unlikely. The only possibility considering that is it being a starter pack style option, but doesn't really make sense.

Personally I think all this good buzz they have going is about to turn sour if it's a paid game. For whatever reason the prevailing notion is that it was going to be F2P. It'll hurt the competitive aspect of it for certain if it's not F2P (if that's what they were going for). But then it seems inevitable the buzz will go sour when we're talking about a Blizzard game.

Ketch

They could do a cheap boxed version, like $30. and then charge for cosmetics like skins/taunts/HUDs

There's just no way it's f2p if they're doing boxed copies for console because the cost of manufacturing and getting it out to retail is enormous.

Alavard

They could do a cheap boxed version, like $30. and then charge for cosmetics like skins/taunts/HUDs

They certainly could, but the game is now in Beta and we haven't seen a single cosmetic/skin yet. That's not to say they won't exist, but HotS had them by the Alpha, and we're already in Beta with Overwatch and no sign of them.

Either way, I'm sure we'll know a lot more after Blizzcon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They certainly could, but the game is now in Beta and we haven't seen a single cosmetic/skin yet. That's not to say they won't exist, but HotS had them by the Alpha, and we're already in Beta with Overwatch and no sign of them.

Either way, I'm sure we'll know a lot more after Blizzcon.

http://www.overpwn.com/news/85-possible-content-teaser-overwatch-strings

An internal currency by the name of Brill Bucks is present in the client.

Progression
It looks like Overwatch has several unlockable items.

Unlock Spray
Unlock Skin Theme
Unlock Play of the Game
Unlock Portrait Frame
Unlock Master Weapon.
Unlock Нero Trophy
Unlock Avatar Portrait
Unlock List.
Unlocked
Unlocked by default

NEXT UNLOCK:
Hero Customization

Customize Locked Item
Customize Play of the Game Animation
Customize Skin Theme
Customize Skin
Customize Spray Item
Customize Preview Item
Customize.

Ketch

well yea... but that's just $15 instead of 30. (also it's got a user rating of 5.6 because people don't like boxed versions of f2p games) And there's no disks. and the console market at retail dwarfs pc.... there's a lot of reasons why it's a bad idea, but you're right I guess that doesn't mean they won't do it.

I'll revise my statement:

They could do a cheap boxed version for like $15 if they don't manufacture disks. and then charge for heroes and cosmetics like skins/taunts/HUDs

I don't see how a disk based f2p game can work for console because the cost of manufacturing and getting it out to retail is enormous.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
well yea... but that's just $15 instead of 30. And there's no disks. and the console market at retail dwarfs pc.

I'll revise my statement though:

They could do a cheap boxed version for like $15 if they don't manufacture disks. and then charge for heroes and cosmetics like skins/taunts/HUDs

I don't see how a disk based f2p game can work for console because the cost of manufacturing and getting it out to retail is enormous.
They let you download it for free or sell you a bundle of f2p goods for $60 at retail.

Consoles don't even read discs while playing anymore. They're just install discs a la PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom