• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i want to come back to the game

cho'gall

but i want more

like kel'thuzad

edit: you know what, tracer looks so fucking good. I'm in

Ketch

My understanding was they got a lot of negative feedback about the stats thing, so not sure if it will go live at all. It really homogonised a lot of heroes for no real benefit.

It seemed like a reay bad idea to me. Like early game should be significantly different then late.

Take the dignity YL spider queen match with the disconnect. The relative power levels of those heroes in the early vs late game made that match really interesting... It's an entire dynamic of the strategy which could potentially be greatly reduced or down right lost.

I understand that, but how is that any different than Destiny or Rocket League or numerous other popular titles that drop and end up with DLC.

Well Destiny is pretty much the worst game you could compare something to.
Haven't played Rocket League but the barrier of entry was much lower through PS+ and the lower RRP

Compare it to Smite, for 30 bucks you get every hero they'll ever release for the game.

If I could get the game and all future heroes I'd probably €100+ for it but into the unknown idk

Ketch

I understand that, but how is that any different than Destiny or Rocket League or numerous other popular titles that drop and end up with DLC.

Hero based competitive games have the added element of new heroes being potentially overpowered. Creating a pay to win scenario when you have to spend real money on the new heroes.

It's a landmine that they need to avoid.

Maledict

My understanding was that it homogenized play from 1->20 so that level 1 played much more like level 15- tanks actually had tanky HP, assassins could blow people up, etc - not that it actually homogenized individual heroes. (Unless you mean the "good in late vs good in early" thing.) They clearly need to do something about the snowballing.

That's the problem. It stopped Zagara from being ultra strong early on, and Rehghar having more health than other supports at the start. Happy for them to look at the snowballing thing, but the current set of proposals wasn't right.

Milly79

g8mrQER.jpg

Alur

Well Destiny is pretty much the worst game you could compare something to.
Haven't played Rocket League but the barrier of entry was much lower through PS+ and the lower RRP

Compare it to Smite, for 30 bucks you get every hero they'll ever release for the game.

If I could get the game and all future heroes I'd probably €100+ for it but into the unknown idk

Haha. That it may be (Destiny), but still a shitton of people paying it and playing it for better or worse is my point. People love to bitch about the price of games and it doesn't matter how they do them. F2P? We bitch. $60? We bitch. $40? Should've just added more content and made it a full game /bitch.

As for Smite, that shit is always brought up...and there's a reason Smite is never discussed otherwise. It's a great model but that's one of the few things that game has going fo rit. If it weren't for that model it'd be dead probably.

Hero based competitive games have the added element of new heroes being potentially overpowered. Creating a pay to win scenario when you have to spend real money on the new heroes.

It's a landmine that they need to avoid.

I agree it is a landmine they need to avoid, but we still don't know what the deal is. What the cost is, what their expectation for future content is, etc.

And if we've seen anything from HOTS it's that heroes are just as likely to be shit as they are to be any good. I just find it hard to see how with the way the game allows hero swapping mid game to counter that it'll be as big an issue as it might be in other games.

Personally I wanted it to be F2P. I think that's the biggest part of the backlash...people expected it, now it's not. They should've been up front from the start.

Alavard

He won't I'm guessing. Looks like you'd need to be partied to use him. He's gonna be awful to play for a while til the Gall head gets used to how Cho is going to move and position.

Have they actually said that?

Cause from a purely technical perspective, all they'd have to do is match up anyone who selects Cho with someone who selects Gall and vice-versa. But clearly being Gall with a non-partied Cho is likely to be hell, but it would be easy to actually implement.

Ketch

How does the abathur Chogall interaction work?

What happens to the clone, and can he hat both heads with the level 20 talent?

Here's the day 1 comp= Chogall abathur zera nova

Have they actually said that?

Cause from a purely technical perspective, all they'd have to do is match up anyone who selects Cho with someone who selects Gall and vice-versa. But clearly being Gall with a non-partied Cho is likely to be hell, but it would be easy to actually implement.

Look at the quest tho. You have to play with someone who doesn't own the hero for them to unlock him.

Haha. That it may be (Destiny), but still a shitton of people paying it and playing it for better or worse is my point. People love to bitch about the price of games and it doesn't matter how they do them. F2P? We bitch. $60? We bitch. $40? Should've just added more content and made it a full game /bitch.

As for Smite, that shit is always brought up...and there's a reason Smite is never discussed otherwise. It's a great model but that's one of the few things that game has going fo rit. If it weren't for that model it'd be dead probably.

You'd rather I bring up DoTA ;)?

Sure players love to bitch but I really don't have anything against f2p anymore if it doesn't leave me feel exploited.

Was it me or did the audience seemed to be cheering the loudest when it came to HoTS, except maybe Overwatch

Disagree, the fact smite is 3rd person view differenciates it enough from the rest to attract enough people, though the model does help alot as well.

Wait, Cho'gall is played by two people at the same time?!?!? WTF. How does that even work lol

Alur

You'd rather I bring up DoTA ;)?

I think we all know why Dota 2 exists as it does. Don't think any other game at the time could've done that, and probably only League could now and survive.

Was it me or did the audience seemed to be cheering the loudest when it came to HoTS, except maybe Overwatch

I thought the HOTS cheers were clearly the loudest as well. Was pretty awesome to see/hear.

brian!

Id probably compare it more to incoming street fighter pricing or evolve

As long as they are transparent about pricing and future pricing before they start selling

I probably wont be in on it if i have to drop cash on new heroes, 40 for all non-cosmetic content yeh count me in

HotS had the most hype, Starcraft 2 and Overwatch seemed to be next in terms of hype, I zoned out at Hearthstone so I dunno where it sits but's WoW/Legion's hype is definitely muted outside of that fuckballs amazing cinematic.

Ketch

This is such a weak ass argument. Sorry dude but no. Just because you don't hear about smite regularly doesn't mean anything about anything.

I don't even give a shit about smite but come on man you gotta do better then that.

Also about over watch. I'm perfectly fine with that pricing model. I prefer buy to pay over f2p as I feel it's generally less manipulative.

It'll be interesting to see how or if they do new heroes moving forward. I would be surprised if they released single new heroes and made people buy them.

Not sure what that has to do with what I said. Neither quest says anything about parties.

How would it match you up with someone else who has Chogall in solo que if the only way to unlock Chogall is by playing as Chogall before you own him?

Unless your saying the only way to get Chogall is by being in a party with someone who already owns him but then what about the people or groups of people who don't know anyone lucky enough to get the hero for free?

What about solo que hero league?

Maybe they'll lock him out from solo que HL? Maybe they'll force someone to play Chogall even though they wanted to play one else in a QM?

Any way you slice it it's gonna be nuts.

Alur

This is such a weak ass argument. Sorry dude but no. Just because you don't hear about smite regularly doesn't mean anything about anything.

I don't even give a shit about smite but come on man you gotta do better then that.

I dunno. I think it makes sense lol. Smite viewership on Twitch is even worse. Reddit subs even worse. Ostensibly that makes it harder for them to draw players, plus they don't have Blizzard's built in hooks. If it wasn't so consumer friendly I think it's reasonable to say it'd be another failed MOBA as it's already lost the war to HOTS right out of the gate.

brian!

Ultra overwatch 4

Smite viewership is usually higher than hots on the reg, but they have a tourney season and hots doesnt
its surprising because watching smite is awful

Ketch

my guess is paid major expansion packs with multiple heroes/maps

that's what I would guess too, but hopefully with the maps being free for all. Like I could see packs of heroes like those two road rat guys or whatever being released as a hearthstone style expansion or something.

Like, oh it's ghost pirate adventure event! new map! and buy the 4 new pirate heroes for $20 or something.

I dunno. I think it makes sense lol. Smite viewership on Twitch is even worse. Reddit subs even worse. Ostensibly that makes it harder for them to draw players, plus they don't have Blizzard's built in hooks. If it wasn't so consumer friendly I think it's reasonable to say it'd be another failed MOBA as it's already lost the war to HOTS right out of the gate.

yea exactly, come with twitch viewer ship, reddit sub, player base numbers... not "I never hear about this game, therefore it must be dead".

I mean I never hear about football manager, and that game is popular as fuck.

Alavard

Also about over watch. I'm perfectly fine with that pricing model. I prefer buy to pay over f2p as I feel it's generally less manipulative.

It'll be interesting to see how or if they do new heroes moving forward. I would be surprised if they released single new heroes and made people buy them.

How would it match you up with someone else who has Chogall in solo que if the only way to unlock Chogall is by playing as Chogall before you own him?

Unless your saying the only way to get Chogall is by being in a party with someone who already owns him but then what about the people or groups of people who don't know anyone lucky enough to get the hero for free?

Maybe they'll lock him out from solo que HL? Maybe they'll force someone to play Chogall even though they wanted to play one else in a QM?

Ok, so to start, the only people who own Cho'Gall are Blizzcon attendees, Virtual Ticket holders, and some other random players. After the event anyone can just buy him from the shop.

Quest 1:

"To Get Cho'gall
Win 2 games as one of Cho’gall’s heads with someone who already owns this Hero to unlock Cho’gall for yourself."

Ok, for this one, yes, if you party up with a friend who has Cho'Gall and you don't, you can select the other head if they pick one. Win twice and you have him permanently unlocked

Quest 2:

"Win 4 games as one of Cho’gall’s heads with someone who does not yet own this Hero to give them Cho’gall."

Okay, this one has to be a party too I guess, because otherwise how would it track the four games and who to give Cho'Gall to. This one seems to be for the players in the party who aren't playing as Cho'Gall already.

so, you're right, they both require parties.

But anyway, I was actually talking about QM match making for two people that already own Cho'Gall. One random solo queuer who owns the characters selects Cho, and it finds him another person who also owns the character who has selected Gall, and matches them together.

Blizzard are probably add "Looking For Cho'Gal" filter to the Looking For Party option for before you queue. I mean there's a reward for both players. One gets Cho'Gal virally, the Cho'Gal player gets in-game gold for spreading Cho'Gal. I mean they're trying to force cooperation with strangers literally with this hero's design.

It's hero design like this that makes HotS so appealing, to me anyways, it's not just another Dota analog, you get weird shit like Murky, Leoric, Abathur and Cho'Gal.

brian!

Im sure theyd make you queue up together, i mean if it's a searching thing that's pretty much anti improving matchmaking

Probably requires you to be duo-queued with both your spots free.

So does he count as two heroes then? Like your team is X/X/X/Cho'gall? You would lose a lot of laning presence if that is true and every time you kill him it's basically a two-for-one. You would basically need to make him so powerful that he makes up for the loss of another independent hero, but that just makes him ridiculously easy to counter because you just burst him down (he has no mitigation type abilities) and your team easily wins. And if he's just a single hero, then where does your sixth person in hero league come from?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Heroes of the Storm - Hero Deep Dive now!!!

Main stage

Alavard

Blizzard are probably add "Looking For Cho'Gal" filter to the Looking For Party option for before you queue. I mean there's a reward for both players. One gets Cho'Gal virally, the Cho'Gal player gets in-game gold for spreading Cho'Gal. I mean they're trying to force cooperation with strangers literally with this hero's design.

It's hero design like this that makes HotS so appealing, to me anyways, it's not just another Dota analog, you get weird shit like Murky, Leoric, Abathur and Cho'Gal.

The second quest, to give someone Cho'Gall, requires winning 4 games. Since after winning the first two games, the player controlling the other head would complete the first quest and unlock Cho'Gall anyway, the quest must be for the other members of your group.

For example, Players A, B, C, queue up together. A and B are Cho and Gall, and player C is... Arthas, or whoever. Only player A owns Cho'Gall. They win their first two games, and player B now completes his quest, earning Cho'Gall. They win another two games, with the same setup, and Player A now completes his quest and gives Cho'Gall to player C. That's how I read the quests.

HoodWinked

health is going to be a weird thing for chogal. if its like other heroes its probably too little but if he has alot of health its going to be annoying to deal with him. also when he dies is the revive timer the same since being out two heroes is pretty big swing.

Lol the "brought to you via windows 10 game dvr" isn't just shoehorned in with HoTS but every single Blizzcon tourney.

We really oughta make this a meme. Say when you're planning to record something to send to wtf moments or plays of the week. Quickly write it in chat or something.

Milly79

Here's some stuff regarding Cho'Gall from Chu8

How does health split between Cho and Gall ? Do they both have a health bar or is it only Cho?

Pretty stupid, but how are the player's name displayed?

What happens in case of the death of one of the two heads?

Health is high and both embody one health bar. In this case, Cho's health only

Seems to be labeled "Cho'Gall" only. But typing in allied chat will go like this: PlayerA(Cho): Job's done! PlayerB(Gall): Job's NOT done!

They both die

Energy Drink.

"Ready to dive in"

EDIT: since he is an assassing, he is about to explode ppl. i think he wil be able to take one hero out almost instant, of course if he attacks from a vantage point and the person didnt see him coming.. idk though i havent played hots for a while and im out of the loop with a lot of patches :(//

Sylvanas still my boo?

brian!

My bruh told me chogall has the highest base stats in the game, which is great if he either counts as two champs (doubt it) or if they are just acknowledging that he will play like a hot mess. Prtty excited to bumble around as chogall tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom