• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Ketch

Running this by you guys since I didn't really know where else to go- This PC http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4606900.p?id=1219776510110&skuId=4606900 (Black Friday Special for 480) + a Nvidia GTX 750 TI - this seems like a great idea for me (midrange PC guy) to upgrade off my older rig. But I'm way out of the loop on specs n stuff so was checking to see if there's anything I'm missing or should look for elsewhere.

Ehhh... doesn't looks so great to me. I really think you'd be better off building the tower yourself... which I know sounds daunting, but if you're already going to replace the video card it's really not any more difficult then that these days. It's just plugging shit in really and there's tons of how to videos.

I would say that 8gb ram and a 2gb video card is not nearly enough, and decidingly low spec today, garbage tier in 3 years. You can survive with that ram I guess... but 16 gb is the standard, and shouldn't cost that much more. And really if you're going to play games on the pc you want at least a 4gb video card.

This is the thread you need to check out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094682&highlight=i+need+a+new+pc The research is already done and you can get actual advice from people who know what they're talking about, unlike me. Post your same post there and they'll let you know what to do.

Also, new egg and tiger direct always have good black friday sales and they're way better then best buy... that place is a trap.

kirblar

I think you'd throw a brick through the monitor if you played on my current pc, lol.

Grabbing + 8GB ram definitely makes sense tho if I go this direction. Most of the stuff I do on PC is Blizzard - use my PS4 for most multiplats.

Ketch

I think you'd throw a brick through the monitor if you played on my current pc, lol.

Grabbing + 8GB ram definitely makes sense tho if I go this direction. Most of the stuff I do on PC is Blizzard - use my PS4 for most multiplats.

most games don't really utilize the extra 8 anyway.... but I can't stress enough how much your gonna want a 4gb video card though. like even if you go bottom of the barrel 4gb card it'll still be better then that 750ti.... I know you're wanting to keep the price down, but think about it like this: You're already spending over $500 dollars for a PC that will be okay to goodish for the next 2 years, but for an extra ~150ish to upgrade to 4gb and that same pc (intel i7, 16gb ram) will easily carry you through to the next console generation.

I'd go with 16GB of RAM and a GPU with 4GB of VRAM. Even if you mostly just play Blizzard's games at the moment, I think it's better to build a machine that will last you longer and require fewer upgrades over the long run. That tower looks super stop gap, as in you will be spending more money on it sooner rather than later. Plus integrated audio is gross.

brian!

You could probably find a better deal than that, def. cheaper to build i think. I dunno how necessary it is to go ham on specs, prob more important to see if you can upgrade when you want to, i think the computer you linked is already better than mine tho. Dunno if there are a lot of games that use 4gb vram, but it sounds like youd probably play those on playstation so

Like i think one of the more popular selling gpus atm (gtx 970) only does 3.5 gb vram but it pretty much goes in on everything that's out right now and probably will go in on things for a while, im not really knowledgable on this stuff tho

Alavard

I'd go with 16GB of RAM and a GPU with 4GB of VRAM. Even if you mostly just play Blizzard's games at the moment, I think it's better to build a machine that will last you longer and require fewer upgrades over the long run. That tower looks super stop gap, as in you will be spending more money on it sooner rather than later. Plus integrated audio is gross.

I second on the 16 GB of RAM. I'm sitting at only 8 at the moment and in the last two weeks I've been occasionally getting warnings Windows is running low when only running HotS, Steam, and a few tabs in Chrome. It's almost certainly a problem on my end, but I don't want to be one memory leak away from running out of memory. So due to that and RAM being relatively cheap, I'm upgrading to 16 very shortly.

I second on the 16 GB of RAM. I'm sitting at only 8 at the moment and in the last two weeks I've been occasionally getting warnings Windows is running low when only running HotS, Steam, and a few tabs in Chrome. It's almost certainly a problem on my end, but I don't want to be one memory leak away from running out of memory. So due to that and RAM being relatively cheap, I'm upgrading to 16 very shortly.

I agree that your case has to be a memory leak or some other failure; I run HotS, Steam, Chrome, run some video processing, and play music on Windows Media Player at 8 GB and have never had that warning.

Regardless, if I were dropping USD 1,000 or more on a rig these days, I'd probably get 16 GB. It'll cover you easily for the next 4-5 years whereas I'm not confident 8 GB would.

I should add, if you build your own PC, you'll always end up with more for your money. Just takes a free weekend day to put it together if it's your first time doing so.

Ketch

Since when has 16gb become the standard? You talk about 8 being underutilized where does 16 fall?????

It's only standard because ram is damn cheap. Buying a pc without 16 gb of ram is like going to the dentist and not getting ur free tooth brush.

Milly79

I'm failing to see why you'd throw down money for something that's not gonna get used? Idk. Maybe you're all well off or something.

Ketch

The requirement will continue to go up. Buying a new pc with only 8gb or ram is like buying a 3 year old pc. it's future proofing for cheap. and extra $30 adds a year+ before you need to upgrade again.

The arguement is not, you should spend more money because you need more power! The argument is why spend $500 for PC that'll be good for the next 2 years when you can spend $700 for a PC that is will be good for the next 4 years. (numbers are completely notional, just trying to make the point).

If you truly can't afford the extra 200 dollars then you know, do what you gotta do... but just know your kinda just ripping yourself off.

Think about the bundle prices in heroes. If you're gonna spend money, go with the bundle because it's a better deal... even if it's more then you want to spend right now, you'll save money in the long run.

Honestly though, you (Kiblar) should just check out the "I need a new PC" thread on gaming side, those dudes actually know what they're talking about and will give you rock solid advice on what's worth your money or not.

Unless you're doing professional video/editing work, 16 GB as well as CPU hyper-threading is overkill. Nothing is going to use that extra stuff, and prices/specs for RAM only get better over time. Why spend money now on something you don't need and won't be used? Just buy it when you need it in the future at better prices.

Video cards are a different issue though, but it's always tough to make a recommendation because everyone's tolerance for graphical fidelity is different. If you're just playing Blizzard games, I'd recommend a cheap card because the graphical demand is so low and your return on investment so much smaller. But if you also want to play other modern PC releases at high frame-rates and settings then yeah, you want to spring for a great card.

Regarding overall price of pc stuff, I'm not a fan of the "mid-range" options. Their performance:price is usually mediocre, and you're better served going cheap or expensive (relatively), that's where you get the bang for your buck. You just have to decide which side of the line you want to be on. It's kind of like buying a car where you decide between buying used and new.

brian!

windows 10 has been having memory issues i think
if you build kirblar youll probably have enough scrilla for an ssd which is supposed to be the tru upgrade

Milly79

Yeah SSD is gonna be your biggest upgrade. In the end, it really depends on what you wanna do. You can only "future proof" so much, because they're practically outdated whenever you buy 'em. I'm in the mindset of buying what you need. You can always get the parts you want later, so far as they're compatible with your mobo.

Alur

Can't recommend SSD enough if you have the money. Was running on the regular old hard disk for the first year-ish I was in Alpha/Beta/live of heroes, then when we relocated I went SSD. Feels good man.

Also nice for pretty much everything else as well.

protonium

Running this by you guys since I didn't really know where else to go- This PC http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4606900.p?id=1219776510110&skuId=4606900 (Black Friday Special for 480) + a Nvidia GTX 750 TI - this seems like a great idea for me (midrange PC guy) to upgrade off my older rig. But I'm way out of the loop on specs n stuff so was checking to see if there's anything I'm missing or should look for elsewhere.

Bad advice is bad in this thread. This guy knows what's up:

Unless you're doing professional video/editing work, 16 GB as well as CPU hyper-threading is overkill. Nothing is going to use that extra stuff, and prices/specs for RAM only get better over time. Why spend money now on something you don't need and won't be used? Just buy it when you need it in the future at better prices.

Video cards are a different issue though, but it's always tough to make a recommendation because everyone's tolerance for graphical fidelity is different. If you're just playing Blizzard games, I'd recommend a cheap card because the graphical demand is so low and your return on investment so much smaller. But if you also want to play other modern PC releases at high frame-rates and settings then yeah, you want to spring for a great card...

You do not need 16 GB of RAM for PC gaming. 8 GB is fine.

You cannot future proof a PC.

The real questions are:
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What's the intended use of your PC? You've answered mostly Blizzard games.
  3. Are you comfortable building your own PC?
  4. Do you have a legitimate copy of Windows?
The Dell PC you linked from BestBuy is ~$930 CAD. I don't think an i7 is necessary. It's missing a SSD for the OS. It's nice that it comes with a copy of Windows, a keyboard and mouse. I don't think it's the best bang for your buck though.

I've had bad experiences with Dell laptops and pre-built PCs in general so, I tend to stay away. I built this PC last weekend for a friend for ~$750 which can run your MOBAs and other games just fine at 60 fps, at medium-high settings. Add $130 for Windows 7 and it nears that Dell PC's price.

kirblar

The Dell PC you linked from BestBuy is ~$930 CAD. I don't think an i7 is necessary. It's missing a SSD for the OS. It's nice that it comes with a copy of Windows, a keyboard and mouse. I don't think it's the best bang for your buck though.
Yeah, if it was just that price, I wouldn't be thinking of it, it's ~637 CAD on BF, though. (And its got a 18-mo financing deal w/ their CC, which would be nice.) The processor alone is $437 CAD so it seems like a pretty good shell at that price given that I can always upgrade the PSU/FX later on if I need/want to for future games. (I'm using fractions based off your original price for my conversions, so they might be off slightly.) Whole thing comes to 600 American ( 800 CAD?) which is about what I like to spend on a rig.

Hilariously, one of the comments on Amazon's GTX 750 TIs specifically says "Yeah, even if you have a crappy Dell PSU it'll still work fine"

I know the big bottleneck for HOTS is processor speed, and I kinda skimped on that last time, so grabbing a high end one to give myself a big buffer for a future-proofing attempt is really appealing, since the other components are much easier to upgrade.

Alur

I thinl kirblar decided to get a wii u instead

Imma get a netbook and see how it goes, will report back. Kappa

I know the big bottleneck for HOTS is processor speed, and I kinda skimped on that last time, so grabbing a high end one to give myself a big buffer for a future-proofing attempt is really appealing, since the other components are much easier to upgrade.

That's the truth (the bottleneck). I have two CPUS that I run HOTS on. Both have an i7-4790k processor in them and it's been great if you were wondering, BTW. It's not top of the line for sure, but I have always run HOTS and whatever else Blizzard on max.

I am packing 16gb RAM which is unnecessary as others have said, but I kinda like having it anyway. And my video card is a 960.

Ketch

Sorry, it was actually Enter the Storm not Heroes areana or whatever and McIntyre team also plays against Srey team later on in that same replay.

you guys remember when we were all like: Monk is cool, but he's not a good solo support. good times.

Kenma was kind of awful that whole tournament and they still bodied everyone lol

I think he's just rusty as fuck and not used to playing support

Alur

Has anyone confirmed or denied whether we will at least get Chinese VODs of the C9 games in Gold League?

Be kinda shitty if we can't watch the John Cena's of HOTS overcome the odds again and again.

Alur

Is there a NeoGAF Discord server set up for Heroes?

Yep we have a Mumble server but GAF doesn't use it except on rare occasions. Not a whole ton of GAF folk who play together regularly to be honest, except when the PTR is up or what have you.

I keep meaning to cancel the Mumble and setup the Discord. Guess I could do that today.

EDIT: Alright, Mumble cancelled and Discord Voice set up. You can quote this post for the instant invite link below, or head to the Google Doc with b.net IDs in the OP to find it as well.

All you have to do is basically create an account and you're good. It's definitely the easiest to use voice chat IMO, you don't even need to download anything if you'd rather not (but you can't use push-to-talk without downloading).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom