• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Yeah I stayed up late to help a friend get the Cho stuff koed cause it felt like getting the gold quest done was going to be very hard sooner rather than later.

Turning Chogall into a literal pyramid scheme is amazing.

I don't like most of the skins, I had to agree with someone on that. I also think they are way too expensive, even on sale.

But no, "I don't see any skins ever" or whatever they said only underscores how little most of them have actually played the game.

That's fine, everyone shouldn't love everything and you shouldn't play what you hate, but it's still a misrepresentation.

Alur

yWaTvQf.gif

Thanks to Maledict for pointing this out to me. My 15 seconds of e-fame boys. Can't nobody take it away from me now!

I'll be signing autographs next to Virgil the Wrestling Superstar if you need me.

Ketch

I don't know. U can't really hold it against an entire fan base.

See a lot of ignorant comments going in both directions.

Dota fan: "there's no point in the laning phase"

Pretty much the same as

Hots fan: "they have the same amount of depth and strategy"

Tell me you wouldn't post in a thread titled: " I like every moba, but hate heroes of the storm"

People just want to defend what they like and validate their opinions.

I'm back, and learned a new word that is inappropriate to use. My productivity also skyrocketed coincidentally.

Dignitas was playing w/o Adrd yesterday and they played like poop. Interestingly Schwimpi from NaVi was subbing for him.

They almost lost against VP and were beaten by Team Spartanien quite handily. Semifinals today should be interesting on the new patch, pure chaos.

Virtus Pro should probably disband at this point. They tried so much with their team yet it's really not starting to look any better. After game 1, no matter whether they lose or win, which has often been pretty impressive they just fall apart, draft the weirdest comps and generally play bad.

C9 vs SPT was interesting. C9 wasn't playing particularly well and had to target ban and capitalize on some really dumb mistakes by their opponents to win.

huehue wut do i even say

This one's not entirely wrong, you can share control in dota, so you can have 2people playing the same hero, and there's some heroes that have enough of stuff to do for 2 like say Meepo, Chen, Visage or even Lone Druid once you have an agh. Or Zet, but he's not in dota2 yet, Valve doing the 1 hero per year thing, but the hero literally copies himself and can use items/skills on both.

Granted, it's not quite Cho'Gall which was designed entirely around the concept so it's more complete.

Alur

Tell me you wouldn't post in a thread titled: " I like every moba, but hate heroes of the storm"

I wouldn't because Matthew McConaughey told me time is a flat circle. And forum arguments are circles too, particularly in Gaming proper.

People just want to defend what they like and validate their opinions.

Agreed and like I said, there were valid points made. The rest of it was grandstanding for some reason I can't quite fathom.

Granted, it's not quite Cho'Gall which was designed entirely around the concept so it's more complete.

That was my point with the quote. Not that another game couldn't/didn't have something similar, just that Cho'Gall is apparently a "silly gimmick" because he's in HOTS and not in Dota. I would also assume that poster probably didn't even play Cho'Gall to find out whether he was a gimmick, bad, good, or indifferent either.

Well, the only reason I started was because this was the first game I'd ever gotten an alpha invite for out of the blue

Johanna is cute though, I'm glad I stuck around~

TxdoHawk

Cho's impact just feels pretty weak compared to Gall. His fist ability is clunky and doesn't seem useful unless you heavily talent it (but why would you when the other options are so much better).

Agreed that you shouldn't talent into it, except for L1. The extra length makes it a great positioning/escape tool.

The aoe flame ability is better but not great, although it becomes a very powerful defensive spell with talents.

It's all about the heal over time, which only needs 1 target hit to proc at full effectiveness. Gives you a huge amount of sustain if you are making sure to always top yourself off.

The end result is that Cho doesn't really have much to actively do other than pressing Rune Bomb for Gall and moving around so Gall can cast his other spells.

You should always be looking for W opportunities if your health isn't full. Q I use less often, but comes in handy for quick escapes, or to jump in on a fight you feel good about.

brian!

Stat-wise (like output numbers) chogall seems to be a tanky mage and gets more value staying out of melee range, but i enjoy using him to soak dmg and getting in there like a warrior to split focus, esp since you're still doing dmg off the disengage

protonium

I get why Cho'Gall doesn't have mana because the hero would be unusable otherwise (even with 2 separate mana pools), but I'm not sure the CD's on his spells are in the right place. Cho's feel too long and Gall's too short. Gall's Shadowflame is 1 second shorter of a CD than Murky's Slime (3 vs 4) , while 2 of Cho's abilities are 12+ seconds.

Cho's impact just feels pretty weak compared to Gall. His fist ability is clunky and doesn't seem useful unless you heavily talent it (but why would you when the other options are so much better). The aoe flame ability is better but not great, although it becomes a very powerful defensive spell with talents. The end result is that Cho doesn't really have much to actively do other than pressing Rune Bomb for Gall and moving around so Gall can cast his other spells. It feels like if you split them up, Cho would be trash, but Gall would still be good.

Time will tell of course, and most games are skewed by the fact there's a Cho'Gall on each team. With a 5 man team vs a Cho'Gall it's much easier to counterplay in my opinion, but when you have 2 running around things are just chaotic.

This article has interesting insights from a HotS hero designer on Cho'Gall's inception and implementation. I found that it reaffirmed what I learned from playing Cho and Gall individually.

kirblar

Then the tech to make it work came as part of the development of the game’s Archon Mode, he said, because it allowed characters to be linked together.

“We were looking at the Archon Mode tech, and our engineer’s like, Hey, guys, we could totally do two players controlling a single unit, having to fight themselves for the movement,” Hagman said. “We’re like, that’s awesome! …We don’t actually think that would be a good idea.”
Oh, Ke-etch.....
“This does also mean — and we’re totally OK with this — that you could totally play Cho’gall with a guy you don’t know in your Hero League game, when you’re pair-picking. If you guys can make the coordination to pick Cho’gall, then it’s kind of like the ‘You must be this high to ride the roller coaster’ rule. ‘You must be able to select Cho and Gall and hit ready to play Cho’gall together in the game.’ We will allow that for non-party people to play Cho’gall in a Hero League. Presuming … you’ve just met this person, are you sure you trust them to be your body, if you’re Gall, or your head, if you’re Cho?”
This should be funny to see happen.

Alur

Pretty crazy how the HOTS reddit has went from a sizeable amount of negative "game is dead" posts a month or two ago to the love fest that is this Cho'Gall release.

FeelsGoodMan

kirblar

Pretty crazy how the HOTS reddit has went from a sizeable amount of negative "game is dead" posts a month or two ago to the love fest that is this Cho'Gall release.

FeelsGoodMan
The Pyramid Scheme marketing for this to coincide with the stat changes was diabolically ingenius.

Maledict

I play with two Polish guys in my regular group, and hearing them play Cho'Gall together on teamspeak is amazing. They are literally playing him IRL. All they need to do is start punching each other and we're there now!

Zafir

Well given Cho'gall a good shot. Thanks again to Xyphie for helping me get him! I think he's pretty fun but man I've had some bad luck in the games I've played as him in QM. Getting a bad comp can really screw you over since you're a man down.

TxdoHawk

I found that Cho's E and Gall's Q/W/E all out-range Towers. It's pretty easy to get pot-shots in on structures because of that.

Yeah, the sheer ability and variety of ways to poop on buildings from a distance makes me think that's gonna get smacked with the nerf bat. You can often line up mines or blobs in such a way that even if you can't hit a moving enemy hero, you're still guaranteed to hit a building behind them worst-case, if not both.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So yeah, I'm surprised but Cho'gall is actually kind of fun to play. What an interesting concept, he seems pretty strong too.

Quadratic

Anyone want to do the Cho'Gall quest vs AI now? I have him and it's 2 games to earn.

Feel free to add me @Quadratic#1998 (say you're from GAF)

Celegus

FeelsGoodMan

Even Hearthstone has a couple positive posts every once in a while about League of Explorers, that place has been a steaming pile of salt for months. What is the world coming to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom