• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

I think this whole discussion is too hypothetical until we see the next support introduced into the game. They could even decide to rework all the current supports. The only recent supports are Kharazhim and LT and only one of those is a healbot. I don't think you can even say Bliz were aiming for being able to play Tyrande solo support with the levelling changes. She clearly is OP right now with the ability to out heal the healbots while still having one of the best stuns and traits for bursting.

Tass can still put up good damage and has excellent utility. But I would not consider him a solo support.

You might not - but he is being used as a solo support at the pro level quite a bit now.

brian!

In heroes of the storm i heal is basically ot2 to me

Also nitpicky cuz the term is dumb but in league blind pick refers to the mode where your team picks heroes first come first serve but you cant see what the enemy team is picking, thats what i mean when i say blind pick. Rng enough to be supah casual but still allowing you to do things like fill roles or try to compliment locked in picks

They are going to get continuously worse damage as a result of this decision. It is an inevitability, and we've already seen it happen with Tassadar. This is the consequence of this design choice.

The design behind the old Archon was terrible. He was a bad hero that turned into a god every 2 minutes for exactly 12 seconds. Is that your idea of "damage"? It shouldn't be, because that's horrific design and not fun. If you're mad about his damage, look at his 13 and 16 talents. Blizzard's change to Archon was great. Tass had huge flaws. They solved one of them.

Now they need to look at his 13 and 16 tiers. If they'd put some meaningful talents on those tiers to further enhance each spec instead of Tass players being forced into E talents, things would be a lot better.

Personally I wish they'd just delete Prescience from the game. Imagine that hero without Prescience/Dimensional Warp and think about how bad he would be without them -- the rest of the talents on those tiers are total trash.

It is player stupidity. They were in the game for close to two years as Assassin/Heal hybrids without an issue. If you played them, it was blatantly obvious that they're not supposed to be healing a team up- no healing Ult being a giant clue alongside their marginal healing output. The issue was the QM matchmaker, and they chose to address it by warping heroes around the matchmaker instead of just fixing the damn mathchmaker.

That's a bad argument because it disregards every single new player since that patch.

Having a Tyrande solo heal shouldn't be a normal thing, it should mean you're a hyper-aggressive comp making a very sizable tradeoff in sustainability for more DPS, the calculus of which has been massively altered w/ the changes to Tass/Ty.

except that's exactly what happens right now when they solo heal. Their numbers still do not compete with Uther/Malf/Rehgar/etc. Karazhim is the exact same thing as Tyrande design-wise yet I don't see you complaining about him. The only difference is that Seven-Sided is actually good whereas Starfall currently isn't -- but I expect them to fix that.

So are you saying Monk solo heal shouldn't be a thing either? I really don't understand.

I hate that Tassadar's ability to be agressive on DPS got hit in order to make this happen. I hate everything about the thought process that led to that decision being made- the logic is back-asswards and it leads to a game with less diversity in hero archetypes, not more.

It got "hit" by fixing the stupidest, most broken Heroic in the game. Tassadar is in a much better place for it. Again, if you want Tassadar damage spec to be a thing, ask them to re-work his 13 and 16 tiers instead of complaining about the recent changes to Archon.

Alur

You guys can hate all you want. I love my MMO healing.

mVVMsp3.gif

brian!

Yeah trying wow helped me understand role implementation in this game more clearly (talent grind too), i dont agree w/ it but i see what history they are coming in from

Maledict

IF tyrande doesn't produce bigger heal numbers than Uther in a match then you are doing something wrong. Her healing output is clearly better than his right now with the right build.

(Not saying she is as good - she doesn't have his heroic ult, or the two heals, but in raw numbers terms Tyrande puts out better numbers to Uther. The longer the game goes on, the better she does as well)

Alur

Uther was never a high number healer to begin with though. She could already heal more than/right around his Q even before the buff with her 13 talent. It was just the rest of it that couldn't hold up. Now she does.

I'm talking about the Rehgar's, the Medic's, the Kharazim's. The Lili's even. You don't see much Uther in QM and never really have, even at our MMR. The melee thing turns people off I guess.

HL was different, but generally everything is more try hard there.

kirblar

The vast majority of this sounds like personal preference more than hard and fast truth.

I'm not seeing Tyrande's outhealing real supports in QM on any kind of regular basis. It may be different in competitive, but again we're not playing competitive. They have bans for a reason. I'm a pretty good support player and even going all in with healing I still have to 2 for 1 to keep within a reasonable distance of competent medic's and monk's.

Tyrande is just as aggressive as she ever was. Hell, with the scaling changes Hunter's Mark is even more OP which is part of the reason she's become such an outlier.

Sure, maybe when folks are queuing into QM and end up as the solo heals she can decently perform the role now and chooses the "heal" ult over the "damage" ult, but I can't see how that is a bad thing whatsoever.

Do I wish they had flagged her and Tassadar as a different archetype for the purposes of QM? Yes.

Am I mad they can finally decently perform and spec into the other side of their dual role and be built both ways? No way.

That's exactly what everyone was arguing about last page...how certain heroes have no diversity. These finally have some and you want them to go back to one build options?.
They can do, it but it comes at a cost.

A cost I don't think is worth it, because it results in them being much less DPS and losing their 50/50 role. They should not be able to spec to be a full-time healer- that role is not for them.

Uther's not really great in QM/HL because of his low healing throughput. It's an issue when fights drag out- he's much better in coordinated play with a bursty team at his side.
The design behind the old Archon was terrible. He was a bad hero that turned into a god every 2 minutes for exactly 12 seconds. Is that your idea of "damage"? It shouldn't be, because that's horrific design and not fun. If you're mad about his damage, look at his 13 and 16 talents. Blizzard's change to Archon was great. Tass had huge flaws. They solved one of them.

Now they need to look at his 13 and 16 tiers. If they'd put some meaningful talents on those tiers to further enhance each spec instead of Tass players being forced into E talents, things would be a lot better.

Personally I wish they'd just delete Prescience from the game. Imagine that hero without Prescience/Dimensional Warp and think about how bad he would be without them -- the rest of the talents on those tiers are total trash.
I don't disagree on his talents- they've needed a heavy revamp- what they did didn't fix his core issues.
That's a bad argument because it disregards every single new player since that patch.
Come on with that. This was happening long before this patch- 2 patches worth of history doesn't erase 2 years of history.
except that's exactly what happens right now when they solo heal. Their numbers still do not compete with Uther/Malf/Rehgar/etc. Karazhim is the exact same thing as Tyrande design-wise yet I don't see you complaining about him. The only difference is that Seven-Sided is actually good whereas Starfall currently isn't -- but I expect them to fix that.

So are you saying Monk solo heal shouldn't be a thing either? I really don't understand.
They don't need to compete- they just need to be good enough, which they currently are. If it's good enough for pro play to run TASSADAR solo, its good enough for QM/HL.
It got "hit" by fixing the stupidest, most broken Heroic in the game. Tassadar is in a much better place for it. Again, if you want Tassadar damage spec to be a thing, ask them to re-work his 13 and 16 tiers instead of complaining about the recent changes to Archon.
But they didn't fix his DPS. They hit the heroic, buffed his shields, and called it a day.

I agree that different classifications for Quick Match is fine, but I can't understand for the life of me how anyone could find any complaint with the recent changes to Archon and Shadowstalk. They are literally some of the best changes to heroes that have ever happened in this game.

Even if there was no quick match argument to be had those changes would still have been awesome and necessary. So I think pinning it on the quick match thing, even if it was technically the motivation for the change, is a bit short-sided

kirblar

I agree that different classifications for Quick Match is fine, but I can't understand for the life of me how anyone could find any complaint with the recent changes to Archon and Shadowstalk. They are literally some of the best changes to heroes that have ever happened in this game.

Even if there was no quick match argument to be had those changes would still have been awesome and necessary. So I think pinning it on the quick match thing, even if it was technically the motivation for the change, is a bit short-sided
See the response above. They hit Tassadar's DPS without fixing anything about his DPS.
(We agree that his DPS talents are shit and need a revamp.)

I don't disagree on his talents- they've needed a heavy revamp- what they did didn't fix his core issues.

Right, but the Archon change fixed an even greater design issue which was that he had too much power within Archon and too little in his base kit... I wish they had "fixed his dps" by adding 13/16 talents along with it but they didn't. It's still a positive change though

Come on with that. This was happening long before this patch- 2 patches worth of history doesn't erase 2 years of history.

i dont know what this has to do with anything. it should be a consistent mindset for everyone, even the newest of players. as game designers, that's how Blizzard is going to operate. new players are probably the most valuable

They don't need to compete- they just need to be good enough, which they currently are. If it's good enough for pro play to run TASSADAR solo, its good enough for QM/HL.

okay so I don't see what the problem is? They don't compete, but make up for it in other ways, and thus are viable solo healers. sounds perfect to me

But they didn't fix his DPS. They hit the heroic, buffed his shields, and called it a day.

then direct your discontent with their lack of fixing Tass's other basic issues for so long, rather than towards the change they did make, which I can't ever believe anyone would argue was a bad thing.

i agree they didn't do enough. But I think they change they did make was inarguably a step in the right direction. it hurt the viability of his damage spec but the hero is in a much better place design-wise as a result -- hes much more consistent and fun -- now they need to build on that.

Since the new MM the overall quality of my teammates is abysmal (QM). I dont know if their new implementation regarding party is fucked up or maybe MMR numbers are fucked up anyway.

Maybe i'm salty because my win rate has gone where the the turtle ninja lives but games have been unfun anyways.

Altairre

Since the new MM the overall quality of my teammates is abysmal (QM). I dont know if their new implementation regarding party is fucked up or maybe MMR numbers are fucked up anyway.

Maybe i'm salty because my win rate has gone where the the turtle ninja lives but games have been unfun anyways.

Join an active community channel and group up with people. I've been doing that almost exclusively and it's great. You can coordinate with people, they respond to or give pings and even when you lose there are no salty dumbasses that hurl insults at you for no reason.

Milly79

Yeah don't worry, I'm 0-13 now. I've played Lunara x10, nova, falstad and artanis during that time.

Wondering if I can hit 0-15 tomorrow.

Really not sure what's going on. Only one game I can think of that I did poorly myself. And I typically will blame myself pretty quickly if I fuck up.

Shits sad and infuriating at times, but I have such limited time now I don't care. I just want to play.

Maledict

If you're doing more heals than Uther with Tyrande then you're building her wrong.

If you are solo support Tyrande, you take all Owl talents, battle momentum / lunar blaze at 7 and overflowing light at 13. Whilst it is a drop in dps compared to her standard talents, it's still good damage that is far above uthers / rehghars / Lily's etc. That's the standard build for her now at pro level (heck, sometimes they don't even do that!).

Tyrande has fantastic options right now - I just don't think she should be solo healing to the capability she currently can plus the stun and Mark.

Maledict

Have to say, in hero league it seems to be matching incredibly closely with rank now. Much, much more clearly than it ever did before. Really not sure why they are hiding the mmr number at this point given that rank now seems to directly correspond to that number.

Alur

That's a thing that will happen to most people. Typically you have two or three heroes you are significantly better at than the rest.

Mine are monk, Rehgar, and Brightwing.

TxdoHawk

That's a thing that will happen to most people. Typically you have two or three heroes you are significantly better at than the rest.

Mine are monk, Rehgar, and Brightwing.

I think last I looked, my best win rates were like 53-55%, confirmed garbage tier player.

Alur

I think last I looked, my best win rates were like 53-55%, confirmed garbage tier player.

I've got monk at 70+% on one account and 66.7% on another with about 60 games a piece on each. And ~60% with a shitton of games on Rehgar and Brightwing. Most of my others that I have 50+ games on are like yours though. 52-55%.

I miss old Shadowstalk reveal, Owl, Rewind, Owl funtimes.

brian!

yeah he's on stellar lotus, but it'd be cool if he joined bross, he seems like a guy everyone likes and when I watched his stream once he just went ham non-stop so good fit

It's amazing how much I loved the new map on PTR and what a goddamn shitshow it is on live. I think part of the problem is that if you wipe once after about level 16, whichever team has 5 people up at the same time wins no matter who has more core health. I've been in about 5 games so far where we have 1-3 left to win, the other team has 14-36 left to go, and then my team starts trickle dying and engaging 2-3 vs 5, the enemy team at that level melts a fort in about 5 seconds, and then the three objective spawn inevitably is the next spawn.

I really fucking miss mines at this point.

The problem with Haunted Mines were map size, it was really small, and its dual layers. Teams not being able to get into the mines on time was hugely problematic and you generally knew how well the rest of the match would go based off of the first mines. It was rigidly formulaic with its valuable small spawn camps. Winning a teamfight in the mines could be nullified by the short, low-level spawn-timers and small map size. You could win a fight only to get wiped after or during the golem fight. The map was incredibly short with matches typically ending under 20 minutes and usually being incredibly one-sided with neither team hitting 20. Some heroes really broke the map wide open, Sylvanas in particular.

Alur

Haven't missed mines a bit.

Playing it in Hero League is like playing the lottery. A random roll determines who gets Sylvanas, and then after that it's just up to the Sylvanas coaching her/his team along and not doing anything too stupid = win.

Tassadar also heavily impacts that map. That's why people hate it so. It's even more frustrating if you QM into that shit cause you couldn't even try to plan against it. You just get eaten by it and the only saving grace is that it happens quick.

There's not really any other maps that have one or two heroes so heavily sway the outcome of a game anymore after they nerfed Leo/Jo's wave clear for Infernal Shrines.

Wouldn't mind seeing the map pool cut even further and then rotated in groups of six every two weeks or something.

Always a pleasure to be called a 'retard' by a jaina who missed all her RoF, went frontline all the time and was partied up with a KT who did 25k damage on a 22mn game without being heavy focused.

I was kind of new to MOBA before HotS but i think i see a pattern : it is often bad players that tends to insult everyone or at least they talk too much.

Regarding maps i will gladly erase Garden and Mines forever.

nubbe

Always a pleasure to be called a 'retard' by a jaina who missed all her RoF, went frontline all the time and was partied up with a KT who did 25k damage on a 22mn game without being heavy focused.

I was kind of new to MOBA before HotS but i think i see a pattern : it is often bad players that tends to insult everyone or at least they talk too much.

Regarding maps i will gladly erase Garden and Mines forever.

I always respond with "stop playing plz"
the responses are pretty fun

I really don't care and i never answer insults but sometimes revenge is good.
Like this time we had on our team really bad KT and zeratul thinking they were pros they insulted everyone and keep whispering me their greatness.

Sadly for them they were in the team against me the next match in HL. It was good to see them do mistakes after mistakes and roflstomp them. I suppose they thought their team was the issue again....

I'm starting to wonder why I play this over WoW's pvp, when I have a shit experience in this game there are no other meaningful aspects to invest myself in.

i never really saw what was bad about mines

On a technical level, I hated pathing in that map. I swear to god the number of times I would be above ground and watching my team fight in the mines, only to realize I stopped moving because I clicked into the mines was frustrating. I'm not asking for the pathing to force you to enter the mines, but it sure would've been nice if it at least had you run to the appropriate mine shaft and not just have a full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom