• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I guess the main issue with adding characters is they have way more Warcraft characters to choose from than anything else.

They should stay 1:1:1 to their main franchises as much as possible, but I know that won't be likely. I want their more obscure properties integrated for sure though. Lost Vikings seem lonely right now on that front.

Didn't enjoy Muradin either - I know he's a decent tank but found him pretty boring. Out of all the warriors I think he is the least enjoyable to play for me personally.

Stitches and E.T.C aren't too exciting either. Didn't try Johanna yet but from what I seen she looks fun.

Finally done with this piece of shit character. I am probably never going to choose a tank in my life after that awful experience. The slowest 1-10 I've ever done; and rightfully so. Holy shit am I not fit for tanks.

Fun-tier-list
Zagara > Kael'thas > Sylvanas > Jaina > Valla > Anub'arak > Illidan > Raynor > Nova > Muradin

God awful in every way, shape and form. Time to play some fucking Countess Kerrigan. I feel like wrecking shit.

I love Muradin. If you spec him out correctly, he can wreck people 1v1 and even 1v2. And he's tanky with a good getaway mechanic.

A tank that is shit is Arthas. Hate him.

Dat Muradin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G663G2vPv3o

I guess the main issue with adding characters is they have way more Warcraft characters to choose from than anything else.

They should stay 1:1:1 to their main franchises as much as possible, but I know that won't be likely. I want their more obscure properties integrated for sure though. Lost Vikings seem lonely right now on that front.

They can make heroes out of units, it worked with Sgt. Hammer and SC units already have a baseline personality in them. I'd fucking love a Thor unit alone based on the terri-bad AHNULD impersonation but Tychus has Odin.

THOR IS HERE.

Beyond Rock n' Roll Racers and Blackthrone, what else is there for them to add outside of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo with The Lost Vikings already in?

Alur

I run into bad Murky more than Aba period.

Wow. I was serious. I hardly ever see him. Most of the times I do its when I'm on Murky and they give me a mirror (which actually happens a decent amount if I play Murky or Abathur).

And by sustain I mean literally not feeding every time he spawns and runs into anything. Teamfights, forts, lone heroes, Mercs, minions...like a lemming, over and over and over and over. There's being a continual distraction or annoyance, preventing them from completing an objective and then there's being a lemming, or worse just camping a lane with March like it's Alpha Murky.

I guess its in the eye of the beholder on the deaths thing or maybe just how they occur, Trikslyr openly talks about Murky's shouldn't worrying about dying on his stream and he's as big a proponent/player of Murky as Gatorade are G branded sports drinks. He regularly mentions how he's meant to die and play risky hence the .25.

I've really only seen one game since his rework where a dude just straight fed as Murky all game and cost the game. On the other hand, I've faced straight Murky counter teams or team's dumbly fixated on killing Murky that blow me up and I've died in the neighborhood of 6 or 7 full deaths (so 24-28 times) and been the top damage, siege, and experience on the team and the reason we pulled it out late with the Octo-delete in a 30+ minute game. I typically end with about 2 to 3 full deaths if the game lasts long enough for me to do my thing to win it.

I know you're talking about bad Murky and I'm not exactly, but I just never see enough to see bad ones. When I do, they all have one thing in common and it doesn't really have to do with feeding; its taking March of the Murlocs and using it at some of the most random times possible so it is never available when they need it. And its not like Octo gets cleansed in QM anyway, so they chose wrong to begin with.

Fun-tier-list
Zagara > Kael'thas > Sylvanas > Jaina > Valla > Anub'arak > Illidan > Raynor > Nova > Muradin

How many games played are you at now, Yoshichan?

God awful in every way, shape and form. Time to play some fucking Countess Kerrigan. I feel like wrecking shit.

She is very fun but it's kind of the same concept as warriors. If you don't have good support/follow up it'll be a bad time as your team watches you jump to your death several times over.

Alavard

So this literally will end up as Heroes of Warcraft. So long as Leeroy Jenkins gets added in, I am fine with this.

"Alright, let's do this chums..."

On the one hand, yes, Warcraft has way more characters than the other universes, but, at a rate of ~12 heroes per year (if they do 1 per month), it will take a while until they run out of units/heroes from Starcraft and Diablo. And don't forget that they've already said they plan to do Overwatch heroes when it has released too (I still predict Tracer will be the first, btw).

pigeon

Banned

Apparently one of the big things they're concerned about is uprezzing -- they talked about reluctance to do DII heroes because of the updates that would be needed to the character models.

It happens that most of the Starcraft heroes are still around in SCII, and obviously everybody in Warcraft is in WoW and just got a facelift, but unfortunately all the Diablo heroes die off or at least get very old at the end of every game, so they haven't returned in DIII to be modeled with up-to-date technology.

It's too bad, because I think DII heroes/villains would be extremely popular. I would spend real money on a Javazon, for sure.

(Also don't forget Overwatch because believe me you're going to see a lot of those guys in Heroes.)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They can make heroes out of units, it worked with Sgt. Hammer and SC units already have a baseline personality in them. I'd fucking love a Thor unit alone based on the terri-bad AHNULD impersonation but Tychus has Odin.

THOR IS HERE.

Beyond Rock n' Roll Racers and Blackthrone, what else is there for them to add outside of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo with The Lost Vikings already in?

Admittedly I have not researched much of their other franchises than the big 3 but I'm sure they can choose enemies or bosses from Lost Vikings or something.

I suppose they can make "original characters" for HotS that they can say are in the worlds of those other franchises for theming purposes? Would be a nice way to expand on those older games since they'll never get a new game probably.

Apparently one of the big things they're concerned about is uprezzing -- they talked about reluctance to do DII heroes because of the updates that would be needed to the character models.

It happens that most of the Starcraft heroes are still around in SCII, and obviously everybody in Warcraft is in WoW and just got a facelift, but unfortunately all the Diablo heroes die off or at least get very old at the end of every game, so they haven't returned in DIII to be modeled with up-to-date technology.

It's too bad, because I think DII heroes/villains would be extremely popular. I would spend real money on a Javazon, for sure.

(Also don't forget Overwatch because believe me you're going to see a lot of those guys in Heroes.)

Sure I understand that in some ways but take for example Jaina. Is her model imported from WoW or Warcraft 3? She doesn't look anything like that in WoW since it is just the generic human model with a unique skin.

pigeon

Banned

THOR IS HERE.

Well, there's always Superman.

Seriously, though, that's actually pretty much it for Blizzard IP. If they just knock off Rock and Roll Racing and Kyle from Blackthorne, they're pretty much done with their fun offbrand heroes.

edit: Oh shit I missed the ports!

Guess what Blizzard ported back in 1992?

BATTLE CHESS.

I'd definitely pay real money for that.

phyrlord

Didn't enjoy Muradin either - I know he's a decent tank but found him pretty boring. Out of all the warriors I think he is the least enjoyable to play for me personally.

Stitches and E.T.C aren't too exciting either. Didn't try Johanna yet but from what I seen she looks fun.

Umm if you think ETC is boring, I think you're playing him wrong. Watching a Good ETC is like watching a good magic trick, you never know what kind of amazing thing he's going to pull next.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How many games played are you at now, Yoshichan?
502 games so far~

I started playing 1 month and 2 days ago... I've slowed down a lot since I started playing Muradin because I didn't enjoy him at all :p
She is very fun but it's kind of the same concept as warriors. If you don't have good support/follow up it'll be a bad time as your team watches you jump to your death several times over.
So far having lots of fun! C-c-c-combos!

I hope they get away from generic high fantasy maps and do more franchise themed ones. They don't even have to add Rock n Roll Racers as some weird hero, it could even be a RRR themed map. We have Diablo maps on the way but it would be nice if they retired some of the worse ones currently in the game when they start adding Starcraft maps, or even a TLV themed map.

Leave all maps in for custom games or Hero League, so people can choose to play them if they want. But just have an updated current rotation for QM.

Alur

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Already almost half of what I have on my main account.

That's the main thing. Reliably land the combo = good times. Can't land the combo = makes Kerrigan a dull girl.
I've slowed down a lot since I started playing Muradin because I didn't enjoy him at all ._.

Alur, why don't you join us on Mumble :D? Hear us raaaaaage and have fun!

Alur

Alur, why don't you join us on Mumble :D? Hear us raaaaaage and have fun!

All the excitement might cause an old man like me to have a heart attack!

But really I might get on to play and hop in here in a bit. Not sure if Milly is getting on or not.

Yoshichan

All the excitement might cause an old man like me to have a heart attack!

But really I might get on to play and hop in here in a bit. Not sure if Milly is getting on or not.
Ok, you're welcome whenever :3

brian!

I wouldnt take trikslyr at his word, dood is a troll

You should worry about deaths as murky but you can also die strategically in ways other heroes cant. Feeding exp, esp when racing towards a power spike or when ahead, is pretty substantial, if you die as murky you definitely want to be gaining something at the same time, that much doesnt change

I really love anyone who can jump over walls in this game. So few people can chase you pre-20.
I leaped over an enemy wall as Muradin yesterday and got trapped and killed by a turrent and couldn't escape because I was on cooldown.

I feel like such a total noob all the time in this game :/

Alur

I wouldnt take trikslyr at his word, dood is a troll

You should worry about deaths as murky but you can also die strategically in ways other heroes cant. Feeding exp, esp when racing towards a power spike or when ahead, is pretty substantial, if you die as murky you definitely want to be gaining something at the same time, that much doesnt change

That was precisely what he was referring to, though. Of course you want to be gaining something with a Murky death, that sort of goes without saying.

Actively playing passive as Murky kind of goes against the hero, though. By virtue of that low EXP grant, you can make plays where others can't so you do have to utilize that.

Even the simple act of attaching yourself via Octo to a target is as likely to get you killed as it is them, after all, if you're around anyone else whatsoever (initiating a team fight, for example). It's a trade that's well worth it, though, particularly if you placed your egg so you can get back in quick prior to the engagement.

brian!

Oh yah i definitely cosign all of that, was just jumping to conclusions since i wouldnt be surprised if he had a game where he died a lot and looked in the camera and was like "ees ok.."

Maledict

Blizzards "no quick match with unbalanced healers" thing absolutely does not fully work. Twice in the last two days we have queud as less than 5 and gotten an enemy team with a support when we didn't have one.

Have to say, the win rate with no support versus teams with a support might be 40%, but it feels like its 10% or so when the majority of a team is grouped. It's unbelievably frustrating and unfun - even when you win a team fight, you cant do anything with it because everyone is at low health, and most of the time they win because of the damn healing.

nbraun80

I'd like to say BS to the whole 'won't match 2 supports vs 1' stuff. So unfun and frustrating going against 2 high healers vs 1 tass. Also I hate lili in general with a passion, she shouldn't be able to hold 1v1 against me early, but sure enough she does.

YjBKRga.jpg

I'd like to say BS to the whole 'won't match 2 supports vs 1' stuff. So unfun and frustrating going against 2 high healers vs 1 tass. Also I hate lili in general with a passion, she shouldn't be able to hold 1v1 against me early, but sure enough she does.

i think the only thing they added to the matchmaking algorithm recently (regarding supports) is that it will only match teams up if both sides have at least one support.

Yoshichan

Blizzard really seems to be doing their best in order to ruin my experience of this game.

> play Muradin
> character is boring as shit
> gets destroyed 3 days in a row because of abysmal match making

> starts playing Kerrigan, finds her fun
> server stabilization goes down the drain and half the matches is spent trying to reconnect

Alavard

That's not a thing. It's just 0 support vs 0 support and 1+ supports vs 1+ supports.

Yoshichan

...Why would you play Muradin for three days if you hate him.
I feel (or felt, rather) that every character can somehow be enjoyable once you've learned how to play them. Now that I'm level 10 with Muradin, I know that I've been wrong about that statement. He's been trash (for me) from 1-10.

pigeon

Banned
That's not a thing. It's just 0 support vs 0 support and 1+ supports vs 1+ supports.

Specifically, here's the link:

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/18543837/conversations-around-the-community-matchmaking-4-3-2015

1 support vs 2 supports has a 48% win rate -- pretty close to even. It's only 0 support teams that really suffer.

Blizzards "no quick match with unbalanced healers" thing absolutely does not fully work. Twice in the last two days we have queud as less than 5 and gotten an enemy team with a support when we didn't have one.

You should absolutely take a screenshot if this happens and send them a bug report. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a real issue that happened in specific weird live situations.

nbraun80

alright, I just thought i've heard people say it'll try for 2v2 and 1v1 but guess not. either way, although i'm fine with tass sup, he just can compete with those 2 sustaining their whole team.

I think what would help is an pre-30 unranked draft mode, could at least know what i'm getting myself into.

So I just started playing HotS a few days ago. I've leveled up all the current free rotation heroes to 5 and I've built up 13k gold. Do you guys recommend buying the cheap heroes or one expensive hero?

So I just started playing HotS a few days ago. I've leveled up all the current free rotation heroes to 5 and I've built up 13k gold. Do you guys recommend buying the cheap heroes or one expensive hero?

To do Hero League, you need a player level of 30 and 10 heroes. I'd recommend getting the cheap heroes with gold, and if you really want, buy the more expensive ones with real money, since you effectively get more gold per dollar/euro that way. The Starter Pack is $4.99 and gets you Malfurion, Muradin, and Raynor, which is a decent deal.

Alavard

Start with some cheapish heroes, but it does depend on the Hero. While you shouldn't buy any heroes without trying them, the ones that are probably most worth it that are cheap are Valla, Muradin (a couple posters here don't like him, but he's well liked in general), ETC, and Li Li. Anub'Arak at 4,000 is a good cheapish pickup too.\

If you do go for more expensive heroes, go with ones you really really like, and that fit into a lot of compositions like Rehgar, Tyrael, Brightwing, Jaina, Zagara, or Falstad.

KaYotiX

Banned
I love Muradin, destroys Illidans and other auto attack chars :)

Only tank I feel isn't as good is Arthas atm, he is still good in a 2 tank setup though

Cerato

Neo Member
I mostly enjoy playing as the hardest hitting melee hero I can find.

With this in mind, 90% of the time I play Kerrigan, and I spec into all of the auto-attack talents, plus the cleave, plus +1 damage/6 creeps. It's pretty great for QM catharsis. Even on bad teams, I'm usually fed by level 14, and then I just look for people to wreck. Her combo is just beautiful.

I also really like Arthas. He's muuuch weaker than Kerrigan, but if you double the damage on his D, and make it hit twice, you become a walking hammer. If you grab rewind, you'll 100% destroy anyone who tries to stand in front of you.

Eric WK

I leaped over an enemy wall as Muradin yesterday and got trapped and killed by a turrent and couldn't escape because I was on cooldown.

I feel like such a total noob all the time in this game :/

I actually find my noob moments to be hilarious learning opportunities that I can laugh at, at least for now. When I do something profoundly stupid in QM I just take it in stride considering I've only been playing the game for about a week.

I think the first month for me is going to be characterized primarily by trying out as many heroes as possible, learning from and minimizing mistakes, and mastering the fundamentals. I'm trying to not be super concerned about winning, despite my typical gaming competitiveness.

TheYanger

I think Yoshi just doesn't like warriors, Muradin is like the epitome of warrior (aside from Johanna) in the same way that Uther is the extreme end of the support spectrum etc.

I wonder how big my screenshot folder would be if I just took screenshots of every time someone pinged me sitting in a bush and said "wtf avatur"

Also, Muradin is fine, he's just no Johanna. Then again, I tend to enjoy whatever character I'm at least reasonably competent with. I even like Tassadar.

Yoshichan

477k exp from that game

what the fuck

Yoshichan

I think Yoshi just doesn't like warriors, Muradin is like the epitome of warrior (aside from Johanna) in the same way that Uther is the extreme end of the support spectrum etc.
But... but I loved Anub ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom