• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Eh, had this debate with a friend last night.

League matches vs Hots matches yield similar amounts of currency per the time investment (League games give more for sure, but hots matches are rarely over 20-25 minutes and often in the teens). League dailies are 150, and hots dailies average out to something like 330 or so. The league champions are cheaper than the hots champions, however. So, on average if you're grinding gold out per game league will accrue champions faster, but if you have a higher percentage of your gold gains through dailies (say, you play 3-4 games per day) hots is vastly better in terms of gains.

I think it's worth remembering that at the moment there are only 35ish champions in hots too.

It's very easy to spend an afternoon playing hots and make a thousand gold, not counting quests.

This is true, but most people are coming at it from the other direction. If you complete the daily every day and otherwise don't play much, you'll get gold faster in HotS. But if you tend to play for several hours at a stretch, you'll get IP faster in League, because the HotS dailies are so heavily loaded. A League daily gives you approximately 3-4x the reward of a match, while a HotS daily is more like 10x the reward of a match. In balancing towards casual rewards, Blizzard really made the normal match rewards piddly, as well as shifting a ton of gold towards one-time rewards like level 5.

It's also worth noting that a League daily is always "win a game" and any game counts, including bots (30 minutes), while HotS dailies are all multiple-game excursions.

Basically, the complaints are coming from people who want to grind out all the heroes right away and get into Hero League with 20 heroes in like two weeks. This would be really quite painful to do. (Which is fine, like, that's how you make money, but it's tuned pretty tightly.)

25 minute average is insanely high.

I dunno about insanely. I would peg my average game length at 20 minutes. Are you saying your games are significantly shorter than that? That would surprise me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
20 is more accurate. It might not seem like a lot but 25 over 20 is a 25% increase in game time. That's pretty huge. It would imply that with standard deviation games last 23-27 min, and the extremes would be 15 min and 35 min.

I have never ever seen a 35 minute game of HOTS but quite a few 15 minute games.

TheYanger

This is true, but most people are coming at it from the other direction. If you complete the daily every day and otherwise don't play much, you'll get gold faster in HotS. But if you tend to play for several hours at a stretch, you'll get IP faster in League, because the HotS dailies are so heavily loaded. A League daily gives you approximately 3-4x the reward of a match, while a HotS daily is more like 10x the reward of a match. In balancing towards casual rewards, Blizzard really made the normal match rewards piddly, as well as shifting a ton of gold towards one-time rewards like level 5.

It's also worth noting that a League daily is always "win a game" and any game counts, including bots (30 minutes), while HotS dailies are all multiple-game excursions.

Basically, the complaints are coming from people who want to grind out all the heroes right away and get into Hero League with 20 heroes in like two weeks. This would be really quite painful to do. (Which is fine, like, that's how you make money, but it's tuned pretty tightly.)

I dunno about insanely. I would peg my average game length at 20 minutes. Are you saying your games are significantly shorter than that? That would surprise me.

I certainly think most games are 15-17 minutes and I'd put the average in the high teens

Maximus.

I think it will be interesting to see how they balance characters from each franchise. I am a huge Warcraft fan, so for me it is great to see so many characters I do enjoy. With that said, I wonder when we will see a major imbalance. I like how right now they are focusing on adding more Diablo characters. What characters can they add that are not from the major 3 franchises? Would those characters even sell if no one really knows about them anymore?

Kenaras

I certainly think most games are 15-17 minutes and I'd put the average in the high teens

Average games are 19-22 minutes, depending on the map. (Sky Temple and Haunted Mines are around 19 minutes, most maps are around 21 minutes.) Your own games my be faster, of course. Add in match search times and quick breaks, and 25 minutes per match sounds about right.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
We played a 40 min game a few hours ago, it was crazy

G'night!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
In league you have a huuuuuuge sink in runes as well.

I was going to say exactly this. You have to invest in runes in order to be competitive, which sucks up a lot of your currency. It's the main reason I stopped playing League, since I felt like it was grinding for the sake of grinding.

Not that HotS isn't grindy either, but I only play a few games a day and that's generally enough to knock out a daily quest or two. It doesn't feel as painful.

TheYanger

It costs like 267k to get all of the heroes in hots in gold.
It costs like a 800,000 ip (give or take) to get all of the champs + runes in league.

The more you compare them by math the more ridiculous it sounds to say that league is cheaper or more fair.

brian!

You cant really make a comparison if you go that route, you have to think if heroes had the same amount of champs as league or vice versa

But yah as someone who played league for a good while, never felt like i didnt have enough ip, vs. heroes where the common advice is to buy heroes with real money lol

TheYanger

You cant really make a comparison if you go that route, you have to think if heroes had the same amount of champs as league or vice versa

But yah as someone who played league for a good while, never felt like i didnt have enough ip, vs. heroes where the common advice is to buy heroes with real money lol

But that's just it, if someone was new to league and they wanted EVERY champion, you would tell them to spend real money as well. Nobody is telling people to buy stuff in hots for real money unless they're trying to amass quite a collection. It's just as reasonable to only buy the ones you like with gold as it is in league, AND you don't have a huge upfront sink in runes.

brian!

Like i said the comparison is moot, think if league had 35 champs

Ppl tell other ppl to spend cash on heroes in hots all the time for some perceived value, in league the advice is usually to use cash for skins and use ip for champs

Similarily, in league you will definitely have amassed enough in-game currency to buy enough champs to get into ranked, and this is not the case in heroes (dunno how long it takes to get to 30 in leeg vs. Heroes tho), which i mean its hard to see it as anything else besides blizzard trying to goad ppl into buying that last hero for ranked

But yeah i mean if you want every hero immediately in league or hots you're gonna spend hella bux, but i guess its only a matter of time before those people discover clash of clans and lose it all tho

pigeon

Banned
Like i said the comparison is moot, think if league had 35 champs

Ppl tell other ppl to spend cash on heroes in hots all the time for some perceived value, in league the advice is usually to use cash for skins and use ip for champs

Similarily, in league you will definitely have amassed enough in-game currency to buy enough champs to get into ranked, and this is not the case in heroes (dunno how long it takes to get to 30 in leeg vs. Heroes tho), which i mean its hard to see it as anything else besides blizzard trying to goad ppl into buying that last hero for ranked

But yeah i mean if you want every hero immediately in league or hots you're gonna spend hella bux, but i guess its only a matter of time before those people discover clash of clans and lose it all tho

It takes approximately 360 SR games to get to level 30 in League, which is a completely stupid number. If your full-time job were getting characters to level 30 in League, you could turn out one every two months. (Which kind of makes me look more kindly on boosting.)

So you'll definitely have enough IP to buy as many heroes as you want in League by then, as well as plenty of runes if you're willing to take second choice in order to get overlaps.

TxdoHawk

I do kind of wish Blizzard would've pulled a Smite and done the "pay once for all current and future heroes" scheme...but I think the system in place is remarkably fair. Nothing has frustrated me to the point where I felt like spending a pile of money would significantly make the gameplay experience better. 7 free heroes a week + lots of easy gold to spend on heroes early on means there is always a lot of appealing choices on tap.

At this point, my real money investment stands at $4 for E.T.C. (who I bought mainly for Wonder Billy.) Even if I felt compelled to drop $60 on heroes tomorrow, I'd still feel like I have gotten more than my money's worth, time-wise.

brian!

I see ppl claiming way less than that, but i mean it's whatever, all i was trying to say was that heroes is the only free game ive played where i felt like i didnt have enough in game currency haha, not really forwarding a position here about heroes or league

My real $ investment is prob gonna stay 0

Actually another thing that prob contributes to my feeling is the speediness of the game, i feel like it's easier to get tired of a hero in this game in comparison to other games, but the quick patches often switch things up enough to keep me interested

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I do kind of wish Blizzard would've pulled a Smite and done the "pay once for all current and future heroes" scheme...but I think the system in place is remarkably fair. Nothing has frustrated me to the point where I felt like spending a pile of money would significantly make the gameplay experience better. 7 free heroes a week + lots of easy gold to spend on heroes early on means there is always a lot of appealing choices on tap.

At this point, my real money investment stands at $4 for E.T.C. (who I bought mainly for Wonder Billy.) Even if I felt compelled to drop $60 on heroes tomorrow, I'd still feel like I have gotten more than my money's worth, time-wise.

Marvel Heroes does that yearly

Oh man Tyrael is so fun. I was switching between him and Jaina last night and went on a
really nice winning streak. I didn't actually lose a single game last night (out of like 8 or 9)

I didn't expect to like Tyrael as much as I do. His mobility definitely fits my playstyle well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
gimme some (fake) facebook accounts so I can add you for that mount thing pls!

Rhaknar

You can just add my real FB, I don't mind. Anyone who blows as much money as you do on Marvel Heroes has to be a cool dude (with horrible self control problems).

at least you said MH and not HotS, you know...the good one

:3

spk

Lost a game with an immediate leaver named "RageQuitLife"

cool

I really wish they would go the Smite route. Gold gain falls of fairly quickly and getting heroes to 10 is an incredible chore. Having to do dailies for often meager amounts of gold is something I could do without. Past level 40 it's taken a shitload of games to build up 10k, most of which I've had before hitting 40, now I can either buy 2 less interesting characters or continue grinding for the expensive characters I have interest in. It's pretty awful

danielcw

Just had a great comeback.
I was playing Nova in VS A.I., or so I thought, on Tomb Of The Spider Queen.
We were like 3 levels behind, sometimes lanes were empty, and one Valla player even called it GG rather early, meaning he expected us to loose.
In the end, we cought up and were only one level behind, and then were able to deny them taking the boss, and later took it ourselfs, which was probably the turn around.
We won later, but I spare you the other details.

It turned out, it wasn't actually a VS A.I. game, but Quickmatch. Comeback in this game is real :)

Because the match making doesn't have a rule that mandates a support. If your team doesn't get a support (and isn't a full premade), the other team shouldn't either, however.

I ask again: is that rule for matchmaking actually live (in the EU)?

Rhaknar

by any chance do they give you codes for the extras in a bundle if you already own it?

Rhaknar

No! Or at least they didn't do it for me, when I bought the starter bundle.

The retail package has one code per item though.

meh, sucks. Might have bought that xmas bundle if I could then give away Jaina

also got my spider mount TY peeps

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Played just one QM to finish the 800 quest. It was on Booty Bay against Super Push Team Azmo/Zagara + Super Cloaked Gank Team Nova/Zeratul with backup Thrall. My team was Super Always Separated.

Fuck you, matching system.

Maximus.

Just bought Johanna and I find her to be pretty sweet and she fits my play style well. Thrall, Diablo, Zagara and Johanna are my favorite so far. Playing them in rotation is so satisfying. Johanna is great at siege damage and controlling the flow of battles. I think she is also great at absorbing damage and controlling when necessary. I can see how some may not like her, since she is slow and doesn't deal huge amounts of damage. Does definitely take a lot of consideration when attacking or placement on the map.

Edit:

Played a game on Booty Bay and 2 team members were just concentrating on pushing, while the rest of us worked together for objective. At first we were losing, but through them pushing and us winning the objective we were able to demolish the other team. It was funny because at first we were mad the two were pushing and not playing objective and they were claiming we were being useless, but overall our two sub teams were able to decimate the other team.

Alur

Thank you. I did not find it in the patch notes.

It was in ours and I am assuming it was in yours but who knows. I don't know why they'd implement it in one region and not the other, though. Its pretty easy to tell if you go in a few games though. Some have said they've seen it not work with groups of 3 or 4, but so far it's never failed for me unless we have a full five.

Fuck you, matching system.

That doesn't sound like matchmaking, that just sounds like idiots or a team without any direction. Due to the variety of heroes, anyone can be an idiot at any hero at any given time and matchmaking can't take that into account which is (IMO of course) a good chunk of the stupidity we see. I never have bought into all the matchmaking complaints, though. Its not ideal but its used as an excuse for a loss way too often. Sometimes people have bad games. Sometimes they are bad at certain heroes. Sometimes you do bad. It can be a variety of things.

We ran 5's earlier (NA GAF). More or less the same people we have been winning handily with. 1-6. Then Milly and I did duo after. 1-2. Then I soloed after. 0-3. From winning like 60% of our games regularly. At least your Booty Bay experience was only one game.

I think Kael'thas is going to be the first hero I get to 20.

The space marines are such a turn off for me, they seem so out of place in this fantasy game. But since I dont have the will power to get gud at the other mobas, maybe I should try this.

Before I played the Alpha, I thought HotS looked fucking stupid. Jim Raynor riding what looked like a low level WoW horse mount through a generic high fantasy map...but then I played it as Raynor, hit ten for the first time, summoned Hyperion over a lane, blew the shit up out of a bunch of buildings and heroes and stopped caring about how ridiculous it all looked because it was fun as hell.

The fact that matches are only 20-ish minutes was pretty huge for me as well. I love Dota but it's the thief of time.

Chaos17

It turned out, it wasn't actually a VS A.I. game, but Quickmatch. Comeback in this game is real :)

I ask again: is that rule for matchmaking actually live (in the EU)?

1. That's why I like this game, you can't have this in other MOBAS
2 . yes, it's applied.

danielcw

It was in ours and I am assuming it was in yours but who knows. I don't know why they'd implement it in one region and not the other, though. Its pretty easy to tell if you go in a few games though.

I looked through the German Patch notes in the Battle.net client, and assuming it is not hidden in the third sentence of some paragraph, that initially is about another topic, it is not in the patch notes. I read from most current patch notes until I reached late March.
Then I looked for the U.S.-English patch notes and searched for "healer", no result.
Maybe it was a hotfix?

Alur

Yeah it was in one of the hotfixes but they had notes too here. And it'd be support not healer if you're CTRL+F searching. Well, whatever support = in German :D

Alur

Free Heroes are:

Raynor
Muradin
Rehgar
Tyrael
Jaina
Uther (12)
Sylvanas (15)

Sales are:

Tyrande — Sale Price: 3.19 GBP, 4.19 EUR, $4.24 USD
Gazlowe — Sale Price: 2.49 GBP, 3.19 EUR, $3.24 USD
Warden Tyrande Skin — Sale Price: 2.70 GBP, 3.69 EUR, $3.74 USD
Big Top Gazlowe Skin — Sale Price: 3.69 GBP, 4.99 EUR, $4.99 USD
Shan’do Illidan Skin — Sale Price: 3.69 GBP, 4.99 EUR, $4.99 USD
Magic Carpet Mount — Sale Price: 3.69 GBP, 4.99 EUR, $4.99 USD

awake

Is there a problem with the game balance? I'm playing a girl with a crossbow which I bought for 2000 coins. She seems to be some kind of AD carry. However, the tanks or offtanks are stronger when it comes to escaping, defense and also deal a whole lot of damage. I've played against a dwarf or something (I'm really sorry, I don't know many characters from that "multiverse") - that guy was absolutely incredible.

Double

Don't think I've ever seen a 35 minute game in this
Oh, I've had multiple.

About that currency discussion, only thing I REALLY don't like how Blizz is doing it is the absurd amount of +50% gold that you have to pay for a new hero in the first two weeks. (In League they at some point added a similar thing but from 6300 to 7800 only, while also reducing the cost of at least one hero with every new one released)

Alur

Is there a problem with the game balance? I'm playing a girl with a crossbow which I bought for 2000 coins. She seems to be some kind of AD carry. However, the tanks or offtanks are stronger when it comes to escaping, defense and also deal a whole lot of damage. I've played against a dwarf or something (I'm really sorry, I don't know many characters from that "multiverse") - that guy was absolutely incredible.

Well, there are no carries in HOTS. Not in the regular moba sense anyway. They've designed it to be way too team oriented for that. You only lane til 10, most fights over objectives you take are 5v5, etc.

You're talking about Valla and it sounds like the dwarf was Muradin. If you went for an auto attack build against Muradin you probably discovered it doesn't do much to him thanks to one of his level one talents. He's a warrior (tank). Though if the dwarf was on a griffon all game then that was Falstad who is an assassin with a global flight ability on a 45 second cooldown.

As for the game balance no, there's no issues I know of. Valla is one of the strongest ranged assassins in the game along with Kael'thas and Jaina. She is strong because of her escape (which you should only be using to escape/evade 90% or more of the time) and ability to deal a good amount of damage.

Valla has the escape built in - Vault - which is something Kael'thas and Jaina lack, but Kael'thas and Jaina do more burst damage in exchange for the loss in survivability.

If your game had a tank topping the damage charts it was kind of an anomaly. You don't see it very often outside of Anub'arak doing so, and usually when you do it often means the rest of his/her team crapped the bed or the tank was super aggressive.

About that currency discussion, only thing I REALLY don't like how Blizz is doing it is the absurd amount of +50% gold that you have to pay for a new hero in the first two weeks. (In League they at some point added a similar thing but from 6300 to 7800 only, while also reducing the cost of at least one hero with every new one released)

I hear ya on that. Since I have all the heroes on Keyes and all the ones I want on Alur it doesn't bother me in the least because my gold just sits there otherwise. I wish there were more gold sinks actually. A new mount would be sweet. If you're not in that position I can see what it would be frustrating however.

I think most of this was designed with the long road in mind gold wise. People facing gold/hero issues in month one who play regularly and continue playing aren't going to have many in month three or four. Once you've been at it for a while your gold stockpile grows pretty good unless you're trying to "catch them all", and if you are able to continue catching them all as you go fairly regularly then you're at least getting something even when you can't grab that new 15k shiny toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom