• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is there a problem with the game balance? I'm playing a girl with a crossbow which I bought for 2000 coins. She seems to be some kind of AD carry. However, the tanks or offtanks are stronger when it comes to escaping, defense and also deal a whole lot of damage. I've played against a dwarf or something (I'm really sorry, I don't know many characters from that "multiverse") - that guy was absolutely incredible.

Man... I'm not trying to be a dick but talking about balance in a game where you just started out is just soooo off-base.

TheYanger

Is there a problem with the game balance? I'm playing a girl with a crossbow which I bought for 2000 coins. She seems to be some kind of AD carry. However, the tanks or offtanks are stronger when it comes to escaping, defense and also deal a whole lot of damage. I've played against a dwarf or something (I'm really sorry, I don't know many characters from that "multiverse") - that guy was absolutely incredible.

You're wrong. Not much else to say, you're saying one of the easiest ranged assassins to escape with (Valla) is bad at escaping compared to warriors (She's not) or implying there's a balance issue somehow when you're playing one of the consitently top 10 heroes in the game. Just learn the game more :) You'll get better.

If you're having trouble disengaging from fights it means either you're out of position during the battles (which you will get better at) or you're getting caught completely alone and ganked, which is something you just need map awareness to prevent. It's true in all mobas, but I find that the lanes are close and the vision is harder without wards, so you REALLY need to be on top of your map game in hots to not get caught with your pants down. Number one thing I wish I could teach every player I want to rage on would be how to look at the map with your peripheral at all times and KNOW when you're going to get ganked. It tends to be super obvious once you know what to look for, and when they still catch you all you can do is tip your hat and admit that you got baited.

Celegus

Free Heroes are:

Raynor
Muradin
Rehgar
Tyrael
Jaina
Uther (12)
Sylvanas (15)

Awesome! Tyrael, Jaina, Uther and Sylvanas are all heroes I would love to try out. I'm only level 11 so far, hopefully I'll be able to hit 15 this week for the second free hero slot.

Xater

Free Heroes are:

Raynor
Muradin
Rehgar
Tyrael
Jaina
Uther (12)
Sylvanas (15)

Sales are:

Tyrande — Sale Price: 3.19 GBP, 4.19 EUR, $4.24 USD
Gazlowe — Sale Price: 2.49 GBP, 3.19 EUR, $3.24 USD
Warden Tyrande Skin — Sale Price: 2.70 GBP, 3.69 EUR, $3.74 USD
Big Top Gazlowe Skin — Sale Price: 3.69 GBP, 4.99 EUR, $4.99 USD
Shan’do Illidan Skin — Sale Price: 3.69 GBP, 4.99 EUR, $4.99 USD
Magic Carpet Mount — Sale Price: 3.69 GBP, 4.99 EUR, $4.99 USD

Already own all of these so nothing new for me to try.

Collection so far! Gold acquisition has slowed down a bit now i'm level 40 and have levelled a lot of them to 5 already, but earning enough through the dailies and stimpack to be a decent rate still (1k a day or so).

OBialWb.jpg

Think Tyrande will be my next hero, should have enough for her this weekend. Then time to start saving for the big guns like Kael, Nova and Johanna.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just woke up...

Yo, is the 50% holiday bonus active now? Also, why hasn't the shop changed yet?!

patchday

Nice hero rotation. Now I get a chance to play with Jaina. I'm used to playing with warriors though so need to adjust to the smaller health pool

Dunno if posted, but Gamespot just gave this game a 9/10!

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/heroes-of-the-storm-review/1900-6416165/

good review

Think Tyrande will be my next hero, should have enough for her this weekend. Then time to start saving for the big guns like Kael, Nova and Johanna.

Yeah saving up my gold to play with Tyrande. Just 10 gold away from her :)

So who used to play the original HOTS - the hero-based RTS called Warcraft III?

Sure, I played a ton of the original DOTA back in the day, but HOTS almost feels more like the base game, where you chose a hero and nurtured it to a leveled-up badass on the fields of battle.

I love how so many heroes in HOTS are near-carbon copies of the original heroes in Warcraft III.

Alliance paladin? Uther. Archmage? Jaina. Mountain King? Muradin. Blood Mage? Kael'thas.

etc.

Sure, I played a ton of the original DOTA back in the day, but HOTS almost feels more like the base game, where you chose a hero and nurtured it to a leveled-up badass on the fields of battle.

I love how so many heroes in HOTS are near-carbon copies of the original heroes in Warcraft III.

Alliance paladin? Uther. Archmage? Jaina. Mountain King? Muradin. Blood Mage? Kael'thas.

etc.

For sure - loved WC3 and The Frozen Throne. The campaigns alone got several playthroughs, one of the reasons i got into WoW was because i loved the characters and world so much and wanted to see what happened next. Definitely see the majority of heroes getting a HotS incarnation.

Did a fair share of ladder too, mostly arranged team as i sucked at 1v1. DotA All Stars was definitely one of the more played mods, although Footman Wars and Tower Defense were similarly fun. I agree - getting those nostalgia strings plucked by playing Heroes of the Storm :)

danielcw

Yeah it was in one of the hotfixes but they had notes too here. And it'd be support not healer if you're CTRL+F searching. Well, whatever support = in German :D

I scanned through the German patch notes, and only used find (Ctrl+F) on the U.S. patch notes. And even if I search for "support" - thanks for pointing that out - I can't find anything concrete on a change in matchmaking.
I also can't find anything related to matchmaking when I google for hotfixes (Google: "heroes of the storm hotfix site:battle.net"). The 3 recent hotfixes I am able to find can be labelled like this: LiLi's serpent bounce, some Reghar control issues, and the pause button in custom games.

If Blizzard has changed the matchmaking, and not just announced they are going to make the change, I can not find the notes on it.
Could you link me to it?

Shop changes at 11PM or even later for us Yoshi.

Doesn't the shop change on Mondays?

For sure - loved WC3 and The Frozen Throne. The campaigns alone got several playthroughs, one of the reasons i got into WoW was because i loved the characters and world so much and wanted to see what happened next. Definitely see the majority of heroes getting a HotS incarnation.

Did a fair share of ladder too, mostly arranged team as i sucked at 1v1. DotA All Stars was definitely one of the more played mods, although Footman Wars and Tower Defense were similarly fun. I agree - getting those nostalgia strings plucked by playing Heroes of the Storm :)
Yeah! Especially since HOTS also features music and skins from Warcraft III, like default Thrall and human-form Arthas.

Did you ever play Burbenog tower defense? That one was by far my favorite. I also liked Orc Burrow defense a lot, and of course Legion TD (which is still hugely popular in StarCraft 2 as Squadron TD).

Regarding the average length of any given match as you were discussing a few posts back, hotslogs.com shows the average length for each map based on their replays. They have over 20,000 replays for each map. Here's the stats for the last 7 days (today is June 9th).

Garden of Terror - 22:02
Blackheart's Bay - 21:03
Tomb of the Spider Queen - 21:00
Dragon Shire - 20:53
Cursed Hollow - 20:16
Haunted Mines - 19:01
Sky Temple - 18:50

So, the average duration across all maps is around 20 minutes, with Sky Temple being the shortest on average at just under 19 minutes and Garden of Terror being the longest on average at just over 22 minutes.

etc.

We just need that lich king and blade master. >=D Also the power ups that spawn at one of 2 locations ;)

Also the secret shop in top left jungle :p.

Kioshen

I did and honestly I didn't like the game very much. I couldn't grap my head around microing a single powerful unit that I seemed to always be behind. I went back to starcraft pretty fast and never looked back. I think I never even finished the sp campaign.

I did and honestly I didn't like the game very much. I couldn't grap my head around microing a single powerful unit that I seemed to always be behind. I went back to starcraft pretty fast and never looked back. I think I never even finished the sp campaign.

I loved having the hero and mico managing 5-12 unites early game destroying mobs of 15 footmen.

Orc was my race of choice! Loved the heros, BM, Witch Doctor, Thrall on his wolf.

BM with his invisible strike and clones. Ah man...

I'd biuld grunts then witch doctors for their stun and healing ward. if time permitted tauren and shamans for their blood lust. all situational of course vs air/ranged folk. Anway thanks for the memory job haha

kirblar

I'm seeing so much Nova/Zeratul salt in MMR hell in HL. People don't understand that running around by yourself just gets you killed.

br3wnor

Started playing this game at launch and so far, realllllly like it. Gives me the tank/dps/healing fix I used to get from WoW but in 15-20 minute bites which is really convenient.

I've had the most fun doing support and so far have bought Malfurian and Li Li. Reghar is free this week and the few games I've played with him have been pretty cool so far. Is he worth spending 7,000 gold on or should I save up to 10k to get brightwing? I guess main question is if I already have Malfurian and Li Li, does Reghar differ enough to warrant a purchase or should I just go all out and get brightwing since he seems to be really unique among the support toons?

patchday

etc.

Really enjoyed WC3. Playing this game makes me miss it a lot.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait what? Do you quit?

Actually, bro. I might be gone when you're back. Gonna have to BRB for a few hours today.

OMG Johanna I love you! Finally just had my first insane %2 left on our core comeback win. (Wow, it was so chaotic and I was on the edge of my seat so much, I didn't realize until watching the replay that I was the only one on my team at the core for the final blow.)

It was haunted mines, they won the majority of the last two golems in a row and had us down to %2, we had their core at 49%. Both the golems right at core, and a clear path. I was running Johanna, and I didn't have my best early game with her, but my god once you start buffing iron skin with talents, it gets crazy. Had a fun double kill during one of our golems.
http://webm.host/b4faf/vid.webm

We nearly lost our core twice.Thank god for condemn, because it allowed me to control three catapults that were about to take that last %2 with their next volley.
http://webm.host/2c1e2/vid.webm

Another save with only %2 left. So close!
http://webm.host/2ac69/vid.webm

Ok, in the clear I figured, let them take the bait for mines, we will just push the wide open top and take core before golems even spawn. My team doesn't seem to want to do that so they start going mines, even after the other team already has 30+ skulls, so that is more than enough to take our core down if even one of their players push our core. Finally, one teammate, Raynor, gets on board for a last ditch core push while Sylvannas stays back to defend our core. I'm dead at this point, but he gets some damage in before I show up and form there it is all Johanna the master tank for the win. So fucking close. Amazing win. I was shaking after.
http://webm.host/f3098/vid.webm

Pooya

Today has been hilarious.

solo Rehgar lane pushers are a thing, man. Rehgar on our team, the only support, was bragging how he did the most healing. They should mandate that when you pick a hero for the first time, you have to play 3 matches against AI first.

hero league. our side rushes to pick Gazlowe first, going for pve build on Blackheart Bay, ahahahaha. Went as expected.

Alavard

Started playing this game at launch and so far, realllllly like it. Gives me the tank/dps/healing fix I used to get from WoW but in 15-20 minute bites which is really convenient.

I've had the most fun doing support and so far have bought Malfurian and Li Li. Reghar is free this week and the few games I've played with him have been pretty cool so far. Is he worth spending 7,000 gold on or should I save up to 10k to get brightwing? I guess main question is if I already have Malfurian and Li Li, does Reghar differ enough to warrant a purchase or should I just go all out and get brightwing since he seems to be really unique among the support toons?

I find Rehgar to be a different experience than Li Li or Malf due to his amazing ghost wolf, and doing some solid melee damage. And his Ancestral Healing ult is I believe the strongest single heal in the game. But Brightwing is a more unique experience, that's true. She has the better CC and great mobility via her teleports. She can turn into a frantic experience, juggling all her abilities while keeping an eye on the rest of the team, and depending on talent picks also working in shields and healing teleports.

So the TLDR.. uh, they're both really good and fun. Brightwing feels like she has a higher skill ceiling though, and more ways to mess up (and also more ways to shine).

br3wnor

I find Rehgar to be a different experience than Li Li or Malf due to his amazing ghost wolf, and doing some solid melee damage. And his Ancestral Healing ult is I believe the strongest single heal in the game. But Brightwing is a more unique experience, that's true. She has the better CC and great mobility via her teleports. She can turn into a frantic experience, juggling all her abilities while keeping an eye on the rest of the team, and depending on talent picks also working in shields and healing teleports.

So the TLDR.. uh, they're both really good and fun. Brightwing feels like she has a higher skill ceiling though, and more ways to mess up (and also more ways to shine).

Yeah, I still suck pretty bad so I think I'll play Reghar all week and if I still really like him, bite the 7k gold bullet. I'll get Brightwing down the line when I'm less of a noob, right now I'm most useful just keeping groups alive with healing, don't have enough experience to be juggling everything involved with Brightwing. Thanks.

Yoshichan

sup!

What mumble server are you using? I'll hang out with you guys :p
On my phone right now, so I can't link! Can someone link Raxious? By the way I'm not gonna be there for a few hours but after 9PM I'll be online for like 7-8 hours.

phyrlord

WHYYYYYYYYY does gazlowe's 3 second charge laser do less damage in a line then sonya's seismic slam? FML I want to love gazlowe but this pisses me off sooo much, it should max around 1k+ lvl 20+. /rant /ugh

brian!

It's pretty much an ability you cast when you have nothing else to do, maybe they dont want to reward that i dunno

Id love it if it had a knockback tho

Yoshichan

welp... i just got confirmation that i'm gonna be homeless in 30 days!

my life is great

absolutely fantastic

i won't play anymore today, i think... sorry eu-gaf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom