• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

Yep, they do this holiday bonus EXP fairly often. I'd venture even more since the game is actually out now and not in beta anymore.

It will indeed be sad times when it's gone. I like getting near 300k per game no matter how long it is and seeing 400k fairly regularly instead of once in a blue moon.

brian!

I mean the talent gating is explicitly to put ppl in a position where they have to play more imo, which i think has less to do with gaining some sort of prerequisite experience (they could force a number of coop games for example) and more to do with creating more situations where ppl desire to speed up a tedious aspect of the game. Like if they get even 5% of the player base to consider buying a stimpack so they arent talent gated thats a big win for them.

A core tenet of f2p is definitely this navigation between dumb tedious mechanic vs. "it's not so bad".

Anyone else came from Dota to this game and feel anything you do, doesn't matter pretty much at all. Soon level 30, to unlock the ranked play. I'm just not sure if its even worth it to try ranked play. Are they still these mirror matches and are people still as clueless as they're in the normal mode? People wont even say hi in start.

Feeling kinda bummed out, its cool to play blizz heroes, but there is barely any depth to this game. As far as I have seen. :(

kirblar

The restricted # of choices to a first time player is also valuable (as pointed out earlier), as it keeps them from reading everything each time the console comes up with a new talent. Not having the newbies have to completely interrupt their play during their initial play sessions has value.

brian!

Yeah i totally see a theoretical easing from a lot of the walls blizz put up, i have a hard time seeing it exist like that in practice but maybe i have no imagination

The restricted # of choices to a first time player is also valuable (as pointed out earlier), as it keeps them from reading everything each time the console comes up with a new talent. Not having the newbies have to completely interrupt their play during their initial play sessions has value.

Won't you have to read them all at some point though? If the assumption is that you're going into a game with a new hero without reading the talents beforehand, there will always be some level of info dump that a new player needs to take in.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Won't you have to read them all at some point though? If the assumption is that you're going into a game with a new hero without reading the talents beforehand, there will always be some level of info dump that a new player needs to take in.

And having half of them unavailable makes that info dump not as prevalent. Most people are probably not even reading it that much anyway and picking the first one.

kirblar

Yeah i totally see a theoretical easing from a lot of the walls blizz put up, i have a hard time seeing it exist like that in practice but maybe i have no imagination
You have to go super-lowest common denominator with this stuff. The issue you have as a good/competent player is assuming that level of competence/knowledge among the player-base. You think you're at the 50th percentile, but you're really at the 85th.

brian!

Im not even thinking about that though, it's more my thoughts on other possible tickets for entry (mandatory coop, mandatory (various) tutorial(s), etc.), vs. one that can be quickened by spending cash. Like the latter in relation with the idea that "i dont mind leveling to 4, it doesnt take that long" is mainly what im considering.

Where my own respective skill, whatever that is, comes in is my own idea that the only real way to learn the game is to play it w/ a reasonable amnt of tools over and over, but yeah thats not really relevant. It definitely doesnt involve throwing talent gated ppl in w/ talent unlocked ppl and having the latter be all man why are you picking the worst talenta in the wurld haha

TheYanger

Anyone else came from Dota to this game and feel anything you do, doesn't matter pretty much at all. Soon level 30, to unlock the ranked play. I'm just not sure if its even worth it to try ranked play. Are they still these mirror matches and are people still as clueless as they're in the normal mode? People wont even say hi in start.

Feeling kinda bummed out, its cool to play blizz heroes, but there is barely any depth to this game. As far as I have seen. :(

If you can't find the depth not sure what to say, you're not looking. Game is easily as deep as other mobas. It's just not as obviously obtuse on the surface. It's like comparing Super Turbo to some crazy modern Anime Fighter, SF2 has less going on but it's absolutely deep.

By the time they need to read 3 and 4, they've got a vague idea of what 1 and 2 do and don't have to spend time processing what they mean. they probably just speed read those and go 'oh yeah that's that one'. It's a lot different.

If you can't find the depth not sure what to say, you're not looking. Game is easily as deep as other mobas. It's just not as obviously obtuse on the surface. It's like comparing Super Turbo to some crazy modern Anime Fighter, SF2 has less going on but it's absolutely deep.

I agree. Maybe it's just the people you've been playing with. The game was just released and more new players are jumping in. I've been playing for around 2 months and quick match right now is just shit for me. I feel like it was a lot better a couple months ago.

I've also noticed that new people don't usually talk. If I noticed that someone is new, I try to ask them if they're new and try to offer help. Most of the time they just stay quite or tell me to fuck off.

In DOTA people are assholes but in Heroes most of the people don't know what the fuck they're doing AND are assholes.

It's going to garner a more casual crowd but the depth is still there.

I came from DOTA as well and it took me a bit to get used to.

Who is everyone's most anticipated unreleased hero?

Mine haven't been announced or rumored, but I'd love to see some sort of Demonology Warlock character. I'd also like to see an Arcane Mage like the Diablo 3 Wizard.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maiev Shadowsong.

Probably the only hero I'm willing to spend money on.

Alur

Necromancer.

And my bae Rexxar so I can have yet another ranged assassin because Blizzard heard I liked ranged assassins so they gave me another to add to my stable of ranged assassins.

and because I wanna go face hunter in HOTS

I just want more casters like Jaina and Kael. Not really giving a *** about Lore :>

Same here. Give me a demo lock and arcane mage and I'm set.

Just like my mains in WoW :)

I really love what they did with Sgt. Hammer - taking a basic unit and giving it a personality and full set of abilities. The options are endless, really.

pigeon

Banned
Im not even thinking about that though, it's more my thoughts on other possible tickets for entry (mandatory coop, mandatory (various) tutorial(s), etc.), vs. one that can be quickened by spending cash. Like the latter in relation with the idea that "i dont mind leveling to 4, it doesnt take that long" is mainly what im considering.

Where my own respective skill, whatever that is, comes in is my own idea that the only real way to learn the game is to play it w/ a reasonable amnt of tools over and over, but yeah thats not really relevant. It definitely doesnt involve throwing talent gated ppl in w/ talent unlocked ppl and having the latter be all man why are you picking the worst talenta in the wurld haha

To clarify my position on talent gating a little bit more, like, I don't think it's intrinsically a bad idea, I just think it's executed very poorly. If you're going to lock people into the first two talents, then they need to be carefully sorted to ensure that newbies have access to reasonably powerful builds. Sure, they should also be generally the simplest options, but if you hand a newbie a bunch of simple talents that don't cohere or create a battle strategy together, then they will feel like the game is kind of stupid, and they'll be right.

Frankly, if you're going to do a gating system (which I think is probably a reasonably good idea), you need to ensure that if you pick the FIRST TALENT FROM EVERY TIER, you have a reasonably effective character -- and that means "doesn't automatically lose to somebody who's deliberately picked synergetic talents." I don't know if any of the talent trees I've played through so far can make that claim. This is part of what I mean when I say I don't think Blizzard has done an especially good job with hero design.

My complaints about Raynor are part of the same issue -- sure, he's easy to play. But with three abilities that affect three different situations, none of which want to be used in combination with any of the others, there's zero depth or interest in his ability gameplay. (Yes, there's important skills to master in terms of positioning, orb walking, etc. But I would firmly contend that those are higher-tier skills and you can't expect newbies to develop them first -- you need to hand them a strategic problem to master before you put them in mechanics class.)

Basically, macro game design: great! Really fun. Individual hero/talent design? Sloppy, right down to the incongruous trash can lid on Olaf's pajama party skin.

TheYanger

Maiev Shadowsong.

Probably the only hero I'm willing to spend money on.

I feel like Warden Tyrande almost precludes Maiev being in the game, sadly. They would look too similar imo. Then again maybe not, the cloak etc could be a big difference in the silhouette. Sort of like Tychus and Raynor looking quite different.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Mine haven't been announced or rumored, but I'd love to see some sort of Demonology Warlock character. I'd also like to see an Arcane Mage like the Diablo 3 Wizard.

The Wizard in the files is the Arcane spec, which makes sense given that Jaina is the ice mage and Kael is the fire mage.

I'm guessing the Diablo 2 sorceress would be the lightning mage if they add one.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like Warden Tyrande almost precludes Maiev being in the game, sadly. They would look too similar imo. Then again maybe not, the cloak etc could be a big difference in the silhouette. Sort of like Tychus and Raynor looking quite different.

Nah man, Warden Tyrande is a shit.

I'm talking this Maiev, not the WoW one.

tumblr_limjl7SOTo1qhjpufo1_500.jpg

Very bulky.

Alur

I'd also like to see Edwin VanCleef in some form or fashion...cause we all know more stealth would be best for business.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Please do not compare Tyrande, trash who got wooped by a few forsaken, with the most patient assassin in the history of Warcraft, Maiev.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I bought the starter pack which gives me a 150% XP boost or something. Does that stack with the already present launch week XP boost? Or does it stomp it? Did I just waste money by buying the starter pack now because they are running an XP boost for everyone?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RIP in Peace Fenix

Also, RIP retconned Raynor dialogue with Kerrigan regarding Fenix' death. Fuck Metzen.

oh, and we definitely need a Worgen hero in this game. I would also be excited about Lady Vashj.
Yes... Huge fan of her. God, I love Warcraft

brian!

To clarify my position on talent gating a little bit more, like, I don't think it's intrinsically a bad idea, I just think it's executed very poorly. If you're going to lock people into the first two talents, then they need to be carefully sorted to ensure that newbies have access to reasonably powerful builds. Sure, they should also be generally the simplest options, but if you hand a newbie a bunch of simple talents that don't cohere or create a battle strategy together, then they will feel like the game is kind of stupid, and they'll be right.

Frankly, if you're going to do a gating system (which I think is probably a reasonably good idea), you need to ensure that if you pick the FIRST TALENT FROM EVERY TIER, you have a reasonably effective character -- and that means "doesn't automatically lose to somebody who's deliberately picked synergetic talents." I don't know if any of the talent trees I've played through so far can make that claim. This is part of what I mean when I say I don't think Blizzard has done an especially good job with hero design.

My complaints about Raynor are part of the same issue -- sure, he's easy to play. But with three abilities that affect three different situations, none of which want to be used in combination with any of the others, there's zero depth or interest in his ability gameplay. (Yes, there's important skills to master in terms of positioning, orb walking, etc. But I would firmly contend that those are higher-tier skills and you can't expect newbies to develop them first -- you need to hand them a strategic problem to master before you put them in mechanics class.)

Basically, macro game design: great! Really fun. Individual hero/talent design? Sloppy, right down to the incongruous trash can lid on Olaf's pajama party skin.

Yeah i agree with this, i chalk up a lot of blizzards airballs to failure in delivery, and i think they wound up w/ a system that encourages, or at least allows the option of, payment to get rid of something tedious, which is core and succesful f2p design by my account. Even something like introducing the unlocking of all talents at 25 fits that mold for me.

Alavard

- Deckard Cain, just to see what they do with him

- Arcturus Mengsk for similar reasons. We know a couple of his abilities that have been datamined: 'Life Insurance' and 'Propaganda Tower', for example, but what will they actually do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom