• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Gold sales ever. The only thing that happened is that prices lowered once the heroes were older. For Kaelthas to drop to 2000 or something would probably take years though.

Derp, I did not realize this. I guess there was no point in buying Tyrande on sale today with gold. For some reason when I saw Anub so low priced on gold the other week when he was on sale I assumed gold amount was reduced too. Well fuuuuuuck that. I guess if I am going to spend real money I should do it on sales and gold on the non-sale heroes. Oops, got that backwards. Oh well, I still have only bought the heroes I wanted.

ENB seems to be enjoying this game! :D

fXtiX1g.jpg

-

Edit: Wow, I was complaining about this just the other day! Although it took Blizzard awhile to do this, it's nice that it finally happened :)

X7pXI48.jpg

Kripparrian just "realized" it live and... well, just watch :p

http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp/v/6005710?t=2h56m45s

Yes! I need more HoTS bros. BT: plbelanger#1923

Xater

Derp, I did not realize this. I guess there was no point in buying Tyrande on sale today with gold. For some reason when I saw Anub so low priced on gold the other week when he was on sale I assumed gold amount was reduced too. Well fuuuuuuck that. I guess if I am going to spend real money I should do it on sales and gold on the non-sale heroes. Oops, got that backwards. Oh well, I still have only bought the heroes I wanted.

Yep, that is exactly how you should handle it. Buy for real money on sale, otherwise with gold.

I'm trying so hard to get into Gazlowe. I got him in one of the alpha bundles so I'd like to level him, but I just don't know how to play him. It almost feels like I should be laning the entire game, but I know that's a noobish thing to do.

What is his role, anyway? I feel so worthless in big hero battles.

I'm trying so hard to get into Gazlowe. I got him in one of the alpha bundles so I'd like to level him, but I just don't know how to play him. It almost feels like I should be laning the entire game, but I know that's a noobish thing to do.

Laning, taking camps, taking towers, taking boss eventually.

I think the majority of his dmg comes from the turrets, the lazor is worthless really, the grav bomb is OK if combined with something else I guess.

Also dying a lot if you aren't great with him.

I am thinking about buying him in this weeks sale.

Alex

Depends on the map entirely, you're going to want to go for a team battle build on something like Dragon Shire for instance (I am assuming you're doing QM, not HL, in which case you'd never pick Gazlowe there). Meanwhile on Cursed Hollow you can do heavy work with a good Robo-Goblin build.

The main thing with him, sort of like Abathur but possibly to an even greater extent, is you need a team that can support what you're doing. If you're just rolling with solo queue quickmatches or something it's gonna be rough due to the way people dive into a fight regardless of circumstances. Need a team that can handle your diminished presence without feeding non-stop and in return you can pretty throw everything on the map at the enemy base.

Zafir

Yeah, turrets amount to the majority of his damage, you can mount it up if the enemy team fights in the range of them. Consequently he's better on maps where you're fighting over point.

Explodium Charge into Gravo can do a lot of damage too, but it's hard to land without help to set up since people can just walk out of it.

brian!

Gazlowe needs to read the map to be effective and be able to get into position early to set up turrets. As a pusher/merc camper he's ok, but try not to play this way, there are heroes more suited to this.

His team fight is all wombo if you arent able to set up, it's really strong, combo it with your e. At 20 his ult is really easy to land, but yeah try not to use it as an engage, use it when they have commited to a fight. So basically create a zone of turrets, e/ult, laser from far away, it's not great but e/ult will win you fights easily

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yo, yo, yo, I'm ready to play! Who's up?

Did they change something with LFG? It used to be lots of people LFG when I would pop on now it's like a wasteland. This is regarding the homescreen where it would show people*

What do we know about drops in price? How often do they happen? Do they all happen at the same rate over time, or is Blizzard actively controlling it?

Sometimes when a new hero is added an older hero has their gold price adjusted and lowered. I think Anub has dropped the fastest and the lowest from 10k to 4k.

brian!

Did they change something with LFG? It used to be lots of people LFG when I would pop on now it's like a wasteland. This is regarding the homescreen where it would show people*

Did you join a chat? I used to get it a lot when i started, but after like lvl 10 it dissappeared. It shows chat specific l4g atm for me now tho

On Gaz. In low level QMs I really seem to enjoy a wombo/laser build. PVE requires too much from your team to really be useful, and if you don't have good map/objective knowledge yourself you're gonna ruin the game.

At least wombo gives you a team fight presence and laser traits can be pretty potent during team fights. It's pretty easy to get off full charge snipes when hiding in cover or behind walls while your team fights inside your turret area.

Also abuse scrap. Even with just 1 bomb charge, Scrap makes bombs nearly spammable they are great for area denial/harass. It also makes soloing mercs easier as you can double bomb/laser a camp right at the getgo.

I'm still very much a beginner though, so I might be off base.

Tried Tyrael for the first time today, since he's a free hero. I'm not usually a Warrior player, but surprisingly, I really enjoyed playing as him. After 2 wins in a row in QM, I have him to almost level 5 now.

TxdoHawk

- As others have mentioned, turrets are his main source of damage. Make sure you use Scrap (D) to get rid of turrets you no longer need and collect the bolt, this speeds up your cooldowns and gives you a small amount of mana back. You can do this while mounted. Turrets will also soak a ton of tower ammo/damage if you drop them in range. If you roll up to an enemy tower and your creeps aren't pushing it yet, you can drop turrets to soak ammo away while you get a few melee hits in + drop a charge for more damage.

- The xplodium charge has several good uses. For one, it is great to throw into a pile of enemy creeps for lane clearing. You can also hit multiple buildings with one charge if you are careful about placement. Most experienced players will not be caught in the blast, but if you throw the charge at them it will force them to move from their position. Use this to your advantage. You can also stand in the blast radius if you are being chased by a melee hero to discourage them from jumping on you, or drop it in front of you while being chased. If you time and place it right, you can force a chaser to run around it to avoid the stun, buying you extra time. Also, drop one in the middle of a thick teamfight and more often than not you will catch someone not paying attention.

- Nobody likes Deth Lazor, but it can do a chunk of damage in a wide range if you let it charge for a second and a half (with no talents, it is at full damage when the arrow completely widens out after growing longways.) It is amazing for dealing damage to a bunch of creeps + an enemy hero in the early laning phase. Don't hesitate to whip it out when everything else is on cooldown. You can also use it to pick the last little bit of health from an escaping enemy hero if you are quick about it.

- Hero talents: Grav-O-Bomb has a Wombo Combo where you drop a charge, then immediately drop the bomb. If you do this right, you'll suck the enemies into the charge, and stun them just long enough so they'll all take damage and stun from the charge too. However, I vastly prefer Robo-Goblin. The insane bonus damage means you shred buildings, lanes, and merc camps. Roll up to a Siege camp, drop a charge, drop a turret and start attacking, you'll have that camp cleared in seconds. Roll up to a tower, that tower is pretty much gone if someone doesn't jump on you immediately. Plus, at Level 20, Mecha Lord lets you abuse that bonus damage on heroes, who often don't realize that you are suddenly very dangerous in melee range.

Other tips: If you are being chased, run around in range of your turrets whenever possible, especially if you don't think a clean escape is likely. I have gotten countless kills making an enemy hero run around in circles chasing me while my turrets blasted them the whole time. They are often so focused on ending your life that they don't notice their life bar disappearing. Also remember that it only takes a split second to drop a turret, don't be afraid to drop them on the run as you are doing this. If you find yourself being wailed on by a boss or a merc camp, drop a turret in front of you and back off just a little bit, and they'll attack your turret instead.

This is a lot of info to digest, probably, and your best bet is to go watch a few Youtube videos of good Gazlowe players to see what they do.

brian!

I havent played much gaz, but im not into the idea of ever taking a pushing ult over a combat ult (posession over arrow, nydus over maw, etc.), unless it results in grouped sieging, and that wont work with current heroes

Having a level lead means little when your team cant win fights; exp is the only real resource in the game, and the only real way to take advantage of the resource is to use it to muscle objectives

kirblar

I havent played much gaz, but im not into the idea of ever taking a pushing ult over a combat ult (posession over arrow, nydus over maw, etc.), unless it results in grouped sieging, and that wont work with current heroes
You can do it at low levels on CH/BB, but pretty much nowhere else.

TxdoHawk

Normally I would agree, but Robo-Gobiln is insane if you use it right. Once you hit 10 and choose it, it becomes very easy to quickly solo merc camps, so you can immediately start grabbing camps for your team. You just have to be somewhat careful and be aware of where the enemy is, and your best bet is to be a nasty little rat and never stay somewhere long (I will often push a lane, destroy a tower or two in a few seconds, and back off somewhere else, maybe a merc camp or wherever.) If we already have someone good at grabbing camps though, I will often choose the bomb instead.

brian!

I think it's a common peeve for a lot of ppl when ppl dedicate certain heroes to indiscrimate camp taking too, being able to solo camps is nice but hardly important (in a theoretical 4 lane map it'd be quite useful). Pushing all the way to base and getting away w/ free base buildings is certainly useful tho since it's permanent lane pressure

I think the real problem is that split pushing actually is important in about 30% of games in Quick Match, because each team probably has 1-3 people who don't have a fucking clue how to position or even stick with a group, but it takes probably 200 games played before you get a feel for how things are going to be at lvl 17 when you're lvl 7.

On the other hand, sometimes lane maintenance becomes critical even in HL. It's an element of the game I don't really reject outright because there's so many variables in this game and hilarious momentum swings are one of the top 3 reasons I play this.

I think it's a common peeve for a lot of ppl when ppl dedicate certain heroes to indiscrimate camp taking too, being able to solo camps is nice but hardly important (in a theoretical 4 lane map it'd be quite useful). Pushing all the way to base and getting away w/ free base buildings is certainly useful tho since it's permanent lane pressure

Yeah, I'm bad at that. Especially with Sylvannas with a minion build. It is just so much fun that you lose sight of the end goal.

It's an element of the game I don't really reject outright because there's so many variables in this game and hilarious momentum swings are one of the top 3 reasons I play this.

That is the best thing this game has going for it, yet overwhelmingly the player base is trying their hardest to cookie-cutter everything. I hesitate using the term meta (mainly because I think it is overused and ridiculous), but the overall flow of this game has to adapt not only based on your team comp and play style, but also the situation at any particular moment. There are still some huge hero balance issues, but in the grand scheme of things it is getting pretty damn awesome.

Fortunately once you get past a certain point in HL, it seems that teammates are more accepting of this fact. Early Hero League where everyone thinks they are a MOBA god, however, is downright painful.

Alur

On another note, did anybody catch any news if blizzard intend to fix the ORD1 cluster ? I was matched on it all evening and couldn't do much because of all the lag.

You're not by chance on Time Warner Cable are you? Cause TWC customers had huge issues last night with ORD1 due to something going on further down the line with AT&T apparently.

Did you leave the General Chat channel?

It's based on who has selected LFG on the channels you're in. Early on everyone is in in a General Chat so it shows tons of them, however most people leave it so you see it less often. I rarely see a GAF player in LFG.

Kioshen

You're not by chance on Time Warner Cable are you? Cause TWC customers had huge issues last night with ORD1 due to something going on further down the line with AT&T apparently.

No I'm not even in the US but in Eastern Canada. That's what puzzling me. I did see a post in the blizzard forums that asked for traceroutes and pings so when I come back home I'll post them to help. Every single game I've landed on that cluster yesterday and I've had a horrible experience because of it.

My ISP probably has some peering agreements with AT&T I dunno.

Spl1nter

No I'm not even in the US but in Eastern Canada. That's what puzzling me. I did see a post in the blizzard forums that asked for traceroutes and pings so when I come back home I'll post them to help. Every single game I've landed on that cluster yesterday and I've had a horrible experience because of it.

You are not alone. I have had intermittent issues with ORD1 using Bell in Toronto. AT&T definitely is the common culprit.

Savitar

It's your net connection.

Been there, done that. It's the same old shit. It's your provider being a dick. Or sometimes force to have shitty times by whoever they are leashing lines from that can limit what those lines do. It's one more reason we Canadians take it up the ass from these groups and why so many Canadians hate them overall. Crappy service and too high a cost.

Also when do we get advanced notice of sales for next week, contemplating spending 10 grand on Az since I've been wanting to play him for awhile now but if a sale is coming I can wait.

brian!

I think the real problem is that split pushing actually is important in about 30% of games in Quick Match, because each team probably has 1-3 people who don't have a fucking clue how to position or even stick with a group, but it takes probably 200 games played before you get a feel for how things are going to be at lvl 17 when you're lvl 7.

On the other hand, sometimes lane maintenance becomes critical even in HL. It's an element of the game I don't really reject outright because there's so many variables in this game and hilarious momentum swings are one of the top 3 reasons I play this.

Yeah i feel this sentiment, lane maintenence is incredibly important, usually the most useful tool for this is waveclear though.

kirblar

Yeah i feel this sentiment, lane maintenence is incredibly important, usually the most useful tool for this is waveclear though.
Dreadnaught's DS guide's emphasis on lane clear was really eye-opening, since pushing your opponents out makes them have to wade through your minions. (In addition to allowing the 2-4 man roam at the bottom)

Alur

Dreadnaught's DS guide's emphasis on lane clear was really eye-opening, since pushing your opponents out makes them have to wade through your minions. (In addition to allowing the 2-4 man roam at the bottom)

Yeah I think realizing pushing your lanes out has uses beyond experience is a thing you sort of grow into in this game if you don't have prior experience in the genre.

Here's Dread's guide.

Kioshen

You are not alone. I have had intermittent issues with ORD1 using Bell in Toronto. AT&T definitely is the common culprit.

That's good to know. I'm with Videotron but they probably have the same peering agreement to reach that cluster.

It's your net connection.

Been there, done that. It's the same old shit. It's your provider being a dick. Or sometimes force to have shitty times by whoever they are leashing lines from that can limit what those lines do. It's one more reason we Canadians take it up the ass from these groups and why so many Canadians hate them overall. Crappy service and too high a cost.

While I do agree on high prices from our ISP, I never had any latency issues with any game for as long as I can remember except for Heroes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was prepared to be disappointed but she was surprisingly fun!

Fun-tier-list
Zagara > Kael'thas > Sylvanas > Jaina > Valla > Kerrigan > Anub'arak > Illidan > Raynor > Nova > Muradin

Trying to figure out who to play next... maybe Shitchus?

Yoshichan

Tychus it is. Geez.

TxdoHawk

All told, I could definitely see why people would say no to Robo-Goblin (although I don't think it's quite Posession-level bad).

Just my opinions, I've got something around a hundred games with Gazlowe played last I checked so I definitely do not profess to be an expert. I'm just sharing what worked for me.

I never really mentioned talents, this is what I personally like to use:

1 - Extra TNT or Break It Down (I leaned heavily on the former in the past, but now really like the latter because I think the charge damage scales decently enough without TNT.)

4 - Reduce Reuse Recycle (especially if you took Break It Down). My understanding is that the buffs to Promote make it powerful, but Gaz pushes so well that I don't know if it is really needed. Sometimes I take Goblin Fusion if I took Extra TNT, but I'm not convinced this is worth it if you aren't going for a Lazor-focused build.

7 - Rock-It Turret XL, hands down. Even with the nerf to how it works, I feel like the extra damage definitely beats out the minor slow of Engine Gunk.

10 - Already said way too much about this earlier. Basically, pick what you think you need.

13 - Turret Storage. Sprint maybe if you aren't focusing on a turret build and feel you need an escape?

16 - Long-ranged Turrets. This makes your turrets a nightmare, especially with the other talents for turrets.

20 - Upgrade to whatever ult you took.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wtf at people comparing robo-gob to possession

Robo gob is amazing to solo merc camps and bosses, and to fuck up lane towers

Yoshichan

i don't know how anyone can love tyrael

From a lore perspective or the way he plays in Heroes?

Edit: first match done with Tychus. I used my ultimate just as I was about to die. Twice.

Yeah.

I'm enjoying him so far though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom