• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

I've started to enjoy the:
"valla you f-@&€;ing coward y u no dps?!"
"No u stupid"
-arguments... It's like a minigame inside the game :)

I'm the shit healer because someone died.

Just today some shitty Sylvannas went into a team fight that was unwinnable for us so we backed off. I put all my heals on her so she could survive and then she re-engages. Then runs away as she is close to death and gets killed. So all my shit was on cooldown because I used it to save her in the first place, of course I'm the shit healer now.

Ketch

I'll be picking winners of the free codes in an hour or so, so please get your entries in as soon as possible. So far I have:

Zagara - Fixed, Cowboy, JC Sera

Zeratul - Celegus, twookie, menchi, question mark, Llyanor

Sonya - Pigeon

Lili - Sothis King

Celegus

I'll be picking winners of the free codes in an hour or so, so please get your entries in as soon as possible. So far I have:

Zagara - Fixed, Cowboy, JC Sera

Zeratul - Celegus, twookie, menchi, question mark, Llyanor

Sonya - Pigeon

Lili - Sothis King

You can switch me to Sonya if you want since there's more competition for Zer. I don't own any characters outside of the basic starter pack.

Ketch

OK. I picked winners now, but pulling names from a hat (for the ones that had multiple entries), and here they are:

Zagara goes to JC Sera

Zeratul for Twookie

Sonya for Pigeon (I did switch you celegus, but you still lost)

and Lili (most popular hero by far) goes to Sothis Krieg (one of the best pictures imho)

I'll PM you guys the codes. Thanks for all the great artwork, really classy stuff.

The Cowboy

Aww, my artwork failed :( - aren't happy clouds meant to give +10 awesome? :D..

Congrats to the winners, it was fun (haven't drawn in years).

Boogdud

is there any counters to invis?

Do you mean invisibility, like Tassadar's which is a real invisibility (invulnerable) or the Nova/Zeratul 'stealth'? If the later, they're always still visible as a slight shimmering, you can target them and hit them and everything. When Tassadar pops his invisibility (it's a real invisibility) you can't target him or see him, or hit him.

patchday

Finally will get a few hours to play today. My quest journal is actually full too

sandboxgod will be ready to Quickmatch in the /neogaf channel shortly. But first, gonna practice against bots with this new character I havent played

I know its considered heresy around here by some, but what heroes are you most often playing in Quick Match? A variety or just a set few? Regardless of personal love or a random tier list, some heroes are just plain better for going it alone or in a duo.

I've never been wed to a specific hero/set of heroes before though so much that I wouldn't switch it up to go with whatever is working based on the free week/teammates I have. I find that
other than Gazlowe and Chen
I can have a pretty enjoyable time playing any of them.

Just look at whatever is free (which is mainly what you face each week in QM) and play a counter or at least play something that isn't countered and doesn't rely on people setting you up. Work on improving you and don't worry so much about how it turns out with them. You can't do anything for them if they don't want to listen anyway. You'll always have the asshats and trolls and generally bad players, but if you do your thing better you'll win more regardless. And if all else fails play Murky and troll the shit out of the enemy.

I play about 7 characters more than the rest. I generally don't try to counter pick the free week heroes, no. I dunno, I'm sure that would help, but I'm already annoyed enough with HL meaning I can't pick whoever I want all the time, and QM is my opportunity to do otherwise. Maybe I should just stop bitching since I really prefer not to do what would likely help.

20 minutes * 15 matches = 300 minutes = 6 hours... maybe take a break? Cut back a bit? Open up MS Paint?

Well, facetiousness aside, it is about 3 hours a night that I play. I take whole nights off though, and I can't say I'm really burnt out, but some time away might be prudent.

Note to self: avoid playing qm on the weekends

I kinda think this is the real answer. Friday and Saturday night have been absolute shitfests for like 6 weeks.

The Cowboy

Bought Zagara (for cash) seeing as i didn't win the artwork contest, great character - she really fits the way i like to play and she looks great to. Saving my gold for Azmodan, after trying him out he looks fantastic and is super fun to play with.

Ketch

had a guy second pick vikings into kael thas in HL and then admit he didn't know how to play it and just kept them grouped the whole time... we lost badly

Chaos17

I had close matches with Oibignose thanks to dumb match makings (2 support or 2 tanks or both, like usual when you group up). Then for our last macth we were like "fuck match making let's go all DPS!" ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლી

We got a full team of DPS (3 assassins and 2 spe).
Ennemy got similar party but with a tanks.
Me : "are we cursed ?!"
We flew most of the team fights and ganked them hard when they were solo.
We did a rally among all the mercenaries camps.

In the end it worked pretty well ʕ•̫͡•ʔ♬✧
It was nice to meet you Oibignose.

Oibignose

I had close matches with Oibignose thanks to dumb match makings (2 support or 2 tanks or both, like usual when you group up). Then for our last macth we were like "fuck match making let's go all DPS!" ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლી

We got a full team of DPS (3 assassins and 2 spe).
Ennemy got similar party but with a tanks.
Me : "are we cursed ?!"
We flew most of the team fights and ganked them hard when they were solo.
We did a rally among all the mercenaries camps.

In the end it worked pretty well ʕ•̫͡•ʔ♬✧
It was nice to meet you Oibignose.

Nice to meet You too. That matchmaking was terrible hey? All the games were close though so I don't think we did too badly. I'm on most evenings for a couple of hours so happy to party up again in future.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just reached the xp cap again... fuck this shit...

Alur

Quickmatch with 2 stealth characters and Abathur.

Quick Match with Abathur period is a harrowing experience. Let alone with the Nova/Zeratul combo.

I just reached the xp cap again... fuck this shit...

Gotta give up the level 10 dream and diversify to make life easier on yourself. Play heroes (that you've probably already leveled and/or not touched) that work solo/duo in QM and win more often/avoid the EXP cap...or keep hitting the cap

Of course you're gonna hit the EXP cap in a short amount of time (based on how much you play) with a stimpack, 50% EXP bonus and potential friend bonus if you're with anyone else. The cap wasn't designed with those things in mind because most of the time most people don't have anything but the friend bonus since most never spend any money.

Pooya

Now after spending considerable amount of time with this game, I kind of dislike the soundtrack, this 'epic' bombastic kind of music is very inappropriate for this game and after a while it goes on my nerves now. I can just mute it I guess. It's a shame because their other games have infinitely listenable music, take Hearthstone or StarCraft even. /rant

Alur

I can see your point on the HOTS music though I still enjoy it for the most part, but "infinitely repeatable" and that Hearthstone theme + myself do not jive. I guess I've just heard it too much.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
But I am enjoying the diversity of leveling characters to 10 (except Muradin). I'm not leveling them for the sake of leveling them, I feel that I'm gaining lots of knowledge by just playing the heroes. The dream is still alive! Falstad is fun.

Alur

I guess my question would be are you leveling each hero in the free week to 5 as well? If so then yeah, I could agree with that. The experience of getting to 5 with each one teaching you so much about them individually, though, that its just about the best thing you can do for yourself and gives you more knowledge than just about anything else.

Otherwise when you encounter them you are always kind of half baked on your knowledge of what they do.

Yoshichan

I guess my question would be are you leveling each hero in the free week to 5 as well? If so then yeah, I could agree with that. The experience of getting to 5 with each one teaching you so much about them individually, though, that its just about the best thing you can do for yourself and gives you more knowledge than just about anything else.
No, I don't find level 5 anywhere near enough... That's literally two won games with all those bonuses. 50 games per character is what I find "optimal" in order to learn a character! And 50 games = level 10, most of the time!

No, I don't find level 5 anywhere near enough... That's literally two won games with all those bonuses. 50 games per character is what I find "optimal" in order to learn a character!

id say it's more like 5-6 good wins?

maybe 8

If you need 50 games with a character to learn them, something is wrong.

Yoshichan

maybe 8

Or, we have different views of what "learning a hero" means :p

Alur

What you find to be optimal doesn't necessarily equal what can also be just plain useful is what I'm saying.

Whether you play two games or 6 in coop (which is the typical number to get to 5 with just a stimpack and no extra bonus), you are learning a great deal.

What is the range of 'x' ability? How long is the cooldown? How does the passive work? What talents do they have available? Why does this ultimate seem so annoying?

Even a rudimentary effort with two games lets you see a ton of this stuff and is ridiculously useful in a game setting against that hero versus going in blind.

EDIT: I'm just trying to help. You seem to be regularly frustrated to the extreme with losing or the quality of your games. These few things are the easiest ways to overcome that (play heroes that counter the free week, level each hero to 5 to learn them, etc). Sticking with one hero all the way through to 10 indeed teaches you a ton about a hero. But if you do that to the exclusion of all else, you're gonna lose more unless the hero is inherently strong and you're missing out on any other hero who is available to give it a test spin.

-Digits-

maybe 8

I'd say he's right. After 5 or 6 games you may have a fairly solid grasp on the characters abilities and a build that works but it takes quite a bit longer to actually master a character.

Yoshichan

What you find to be optimal doesn't necessarily equal what can also be just plain useful is what I'm saying.

Whether you play two games or 6 in coop (which is the typical number to get to 5 with just a stimpack and no extra bonus), you are learning a great deal.

What is the range of 'x' ability? How long is the cooldown? How does the passive work? What talents do they have available? Why does this ultimate seem so annoying?

Even a rudimentary effort with two games lets you see a ton of this stuff and is ridiculously useful in a game setting against that hero versus going in blind.

EDIT: I'm just trying to help. You seem to be regularly frustrated to the extreme with losing or the quality of your games. These few things are the easiest ways to overcome that (play heroes that counter the free week, level each hero to 5 to learn them, etc). Sticking with one hero all the way through to 10 indeed teaches you a ton about a hero. But if you do that to the exclusion of all else, you're gonna lose more unless the hero is inherently strong and you're missing out on any other hero who is available to give it a test spin.
I come from FGC, and I've played competitive gaming a long time so I know exactly what you mean. I'm not denying the fact that you can learn the utmost basic stuff (cooldowns, range, etc) by playing a few games with that individual hero. I am however saying that that is something you also learn by playing against that particular hero as well. I haven't played Thrall for one single game, but I know the approximate cooldown of every spell he has, the range of his wolf-cc, the usual timing on his earth-Ultimate, etc. That is knowledge I gain by just playing a helluva ton games.

I mean, when a new fighting game came out back in the days when I was into that - I couldn't possibly play every fighter in the roster "just to learn their combos". That would've taken me way, way, way too long time. You simply play the game, and eventually, if you have the competitive info-absorbing mind set and awareness, you'll learn everything there is to know.

I also don't see how I am being "regularly frustrated to the extreme". Today, I was frustrated at the experience cap and not complaining about some hero being overpowered and whatnot. I don't even remember when I made such a post last time. Yah, I complain on Mumble but it's been at least a few days since I was complaining reaaaaaaally hard about a hero in this thread. So I don't get your "edit"-part at all :/
I'd say he's right. After 5 or 6 games you may have a fairly solid grasp on the characters abilities and a build that works but it takes quite a bit longer to actually master a character.
Yup. I'm level 5 with Johanna (because of the silly warrior-dailies) and I have learned literally zero things throughout these games. Every knowledge I know about Johanna came from playing against her (which I've undoubtedly done over 150+ matches now).

Alur

I also don't see how I am being "regularly frustrated to the extreme". Today, I was frustrated at the experience cap and not complaining about some hero being overpowered and whatnot. I don't even remember when I made such a post last time. Yah, I complain on Mumble but it's been at least a few days since I was complaining reaaaaaaally hard about a hero in this thread. So I don't get your "edit"-part at all :/

You've made several posts in the past about being upset with a losing streak. Breaking tables, lamps, what not. I would classify that "extreme" lol.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I'm just offering options to help you, that's it. There's no need to twist it into something else.

Yoshichan

You've made several posts in the past about being upset with a losing streak. Breaking tables, lamps, what not. I would classify that "extreme" lol.
You mean half a month ago? Fair enough. I just don't see how that was relevant to what we were discussing above though, it seems highly inappropriate. Also, "regularly" is a downright lie because that word, in my book, means every day, or every other day. In this case, that's not been true :) But yeah, I do get frustrated when I play the game and I'm on Mumble, but that's just the competitive mind-set that I have. It has nothing to do with x character or y spell.
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I'm just offering options to help you, that's it. There's no need to twist it into something else.
Trust me man, I know. Don't worry, I'm not taking any offense.

edit: Geez, I've edited this post like 400 times at this point. My apologies!

Alur

I kind of want to give Abathur a try lately.

Mainly because I want to see what he's like to play exactly.

He's very fun. Kind of relaxing and also taxing in the same breath. Lots to watch, but the positioning isn't a constant worry like it is with all other heroes.

The best part is you never miss any action.

Hey bros I'm currently playing in the Road to blizzcon tournament with my team Great White North and our game is about to be streamed here

http://www.twitch.tv/solidjakegg

I was asking about this yesterday! Good luck man, hope you take it far.

Another guy Milly79 and I knew from SWTOR and played with here in HOTS when he first started played Tempo Storm earlier (PUNDEMONIUM was his team). Was pretty weird to see him there, honestly. Kind of awesome.

Yoshichan

Hey bros I'm currently playing in the Road to blizzcon tournament with my team Great White North and our game is about to be streamed here

http://www.twitch.tv/solidjakegg
Oh my, you're always so fucking good at the games you play (at least the ones that I've watched you at, in this case, it's Blizzard games)! Good luck~

Ketch

fuck yea! go EJ! better shout out to GAF!
goodjob.gif

Alur

Yeah, man. Throw out a GAF lyfe in all chat at the end of the game if you win. :D

EDIT: Solid Jake giving one of you guys shade for not being ready lol. Not sure which team he's referring to though.

Yoshichan

The delay is real!

Yoshichan

I knew it was the other team and not EJs!

LET'S GO!

Alur

With a name like GoodGuyGaming they deserve to know that "winter is coming"! Good guys never win. Especially in Game of Thrones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom