• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm so sorry :( I promise, next character!

kd-z

So I've been playing Heroes of the Storm a bit (I'd say "a lot" considering that it was the end of a semester, but from what I'm seeing in this thread I'm small potatoes) and liking it quite a lot. The highs are high and the lows aren't TOO low.

That said, quickmatching with randoms is becoming less and less fun. Especially since my favourite hero so far is Tassadar and his role is more of a support one.

So, how do I get around to playing with gaffers? I'm in Europe (Poland) and am totally up for some voice-chat powered pwnage sessions. Not that I'm any good, but I at least try not to die too much. I can't vouch for my English skillz, but I'm pretty sure they are communicative enough :)

Also wouldn't mind learning some strategies and tips from you people!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Guys it's so hard to have two "main" games. I've been trying to make the most of the month of WoW I got as well as my stimpak for this and it's pretty bonkers. It's probably better to have alternating "seasons" for each game you play a lot.

So I've been playing Heroes of the Storm a bit (I'd say "a lot" considering that it was the end of a semester, but from what I'm seeing in this thread I'm small potatoes) and liking it quite a lot. The highs are high and the lows aren't TOO low.

That said, quickmatching with randoms is becoming less and less fun. Especially since my favourite hero so far is Tassadar and his role is more of a support one.

So, how do I get around to playing with gaffers? I'm in Europe (Poland) and am totally up for some voice-chat powered pwnage sessions. Not that I'm any good, but I at least try not to die too much. I can't vouch for my English skillz, but I'm pretty sure they are communicative enough :)

Glad you're liking the game! To join the GAF chat simply type /join NeoGAF and you will join the channel. There are always people looking for someone to group with do you won't have a problem finding a party.

Alur

Quote the OP and there's a Google document there with GAF battle.net ID's, Mumble voice chat info and the like.

Alur

E3EPZd2.jpg

100% EXP bonus so good. Uffer complete.

All the buttons on Uther are so fun. Also amazingly enjoyable to hard counter all the Octograb Murky's (my brethren) and watch them be totally useless for an entire Quick Match.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Congrats buddy!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to prevent this game from sucking up all my free time since there are other games out there that I want to play (and a bunch that I plan to buy today off the Steam sale). Yesterday I was going to play just a game or two before moving on to Witcher 3, but I ended up playing for 2 hours. :/

Blizzard, make this game less fun please.

Also, I can never find anyone in GAF chat to play with me. Are you guys all hanging out on Mumble and ignoring chat or something?

Alur

I see folks forming in chat from time to time. I think as it goes on, though, people are added to friends and there is less talk in the chat cause they just message directly.

That's how it happened in the first big influx of new players and seems to be happening here as folks are finding people they like to play with regularly.

I'd still ask in the chat, though. People are always looking for more after they grab the 1 or 2 they are normally playing with.

Milly79

Also, I can never find anyone in GAF chat to play with me. Are you guys all hanging out on Mumble and ignoring chat or something?

A lot of them probably also have the in-game group messaging disabled. When people do talk in the group it gets quite annoying having all those messages pop up in game.

Miletius

I've played a few matches here and there, but I think I need a wider group of friends. Quickmatching solo has been painful recently, don't really think I've won one for days. The screen post game is confusing me -- in the stats, does the big number near the bottom represent the average level of your team?

danielcw

At least in the EU the neogaf channel rarely talks.
The only times I have seen a lively chat there was about E3 or a Tyrande-skin's breast size :)

kd-z

I've played a few matches here and there, but I think I need a wider group of friends. Quickmatching solo has been painful recently, don't really think I've won one for days. The screen post game is confusing me -- in the stats, does the big number near the bottom represent the average level of your team?
I believe the big number is the number of takedowns you team had. There really isn't such a thing as an average team level - levels are team-wide.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try to get in touch and play some games with gaffers one of these days :)

So I got hit with the rejoin bug there the game crashes when loading and when you try to connect again it forces you to rejoin which in turn gets you stuck at loading the map again.

I'm upto level 26 and frankly the online of this is pretty amateur hour. Without voice chat, disconnect issues and such I feel like Blizzard is about 3-5 years behind on the tech side. This is shocking considerng they are/were THE mmo out there and have years of history with battle.net

Complistic

Pretty sure they're adding voice chat. In the meantime, pings are more than adequate enough to get points across.

The disconnects are bad.

Alur

I haven't seen a lot of disconnects in the actual game personally.

I mean, if we're counting the random dude who seems to dc once every 3 games as everyone loads in, sure...but I'm pretty sure that's more on their end with their CPU and ISP than it's Blizzards fault. Those folks are the ones always holding up the load screen. The latency issues for TWC customers during prime time hours due to ORD1 is a real problem though and every few days there's a huge hubbub about it.

As for the voice chat, they are adding it and I think they said hopefully before the end of the year? I can't remember exactly.

I honestly don't see the need for built in voice chat myself (though others obviously do). To me, its going to be abused more than it's used and most people who play online already have access to a Vent/TeamSpeak/Mumble like the one we have for GAF. A large sum of folks can't even communicate in the in game chat without getting salty as fuck, so I don't see how it will lead to anything positive.

I understand it allows you to communicate with strangers while your personal/group VOIP cannot when you queue in a game solo or whatever. I could even see it serving some purpose in Hero League where things are a bit better...but it will be an absolute cesspool in Quick Match. Not to mention the fact that from my experience with this game no one who isn't part of your party gives a good gat damn what anyone says and often finds the strangest ways to take offense or plays mute and never responds to anything.

Alur

Blizzard on the Public Test Realm:

Blizzard said:
What about The Butcher?

Sorry, the Butcher will not be available for play or purchase during this PTR phase, but you can still try out our newest Battleground, Battlefield of Eternity, along with a host of balance changes, and other improvements. The Butcher will be available on the live version of Heroes once the patch arrives on June 30.

That new patch smell. Shame about The Butcher but I kinda figured. Also thought maybe they'd give a portrait for being guinea pigs with nothing to gain from it, but I suppose not this time.

Yoshichan

I don't see myself leveling one more character to 10 after Li Li. I am noticing way too many players sucking ass right now and I can't stand trash at this stage of the game.

Open beta was a great game
Release made this game shit

kirblar

I don't see myself leveling one more character to 10 after Li Li. I am noticing way too many players sucking ass right now and I can't stand trash at this stage of the game.

Oh, for the days when it was only a limited pool of alpha testers and you generally had good, pleasant, helpful games all over.

Alur

Heard something on the ITN cast about Blizz moving Tyrande and Tassadar out of the support category. Is this true? I was only half listening.

I think they were referring to the same thing as the big discussion we were all having a while back. It came up on Town Hall Heroes too in the last episode. It's more about how they factor into QM queuing as solo support than anything (and where the Monk is gonna fit in all that). I think both podcasts were just going hypothetical for what they'd like to see. I haven't seen anything from Blizzard about it personally, though it would be nice.

All about perspective.

Started in Alpha? Alpha was a great game.
Closed beta was shit.

Started in closed beta? Closed beta was a great game.
Open beta was shit.

Started in open beta? Open beta was a great game.
Release is shit.

Started at release? Release was a great game.
*whenever the next big influx of players comes* ____ content cycle is shit.

From my perspective, after a month or two of each step people catch up and end up where they should be in matchmaking. Initially each change was very rough for people who don't play with a group of 3 or more, though.

Yoshichan

When did I start anyway? Was it closed or open?

Yoshichan

Think it was like a week before open beta.

Ah okay, thanks!

Gonna chill the rest of the night. I'm on massive tilt.

danielcw

How do I go about joint a neogaf channel?
see OP, or here:

type /join neogaf in chat

you can also enable to see chat channels during match in the options

I'm upto level 26 and frankly the online of this is pretty amateur hour. Without voice chat, disconnect issues and such I feel like Blizzard is about 3-5 years behind on the tech side.

The reconnect thing might get improved, if Blizzard is willing to make big changes on the engine, for the rest I have to agree with Alur:

I haven't seen a lot of disconnects in the actual game personally.

I mean, if we're counting the random dude who seems to dc once every 3 games as everyone loads in, sure...but I'm pretty sure that's more on their end with their CPU and ISP than it's Blizzards fault. Those folks are the ones always holding up the load screen.

When I play with EU gaffers or by myself (site: EU8) I never had any big connection problem, unless Blizzard did something on their serves, which led to some lag spikes.

If you have connection problems, it is likely on your end or the "road"

PTR is in the US?
Totally new account, or are things unlocked for you?

When did I start anyway? Was it closed or open?
definitely closed beta

that's soothing too :)

Alur

Alur is shit.

And top of the page no less. <3 u bae

How do I go about joint a neogaf channel?

/join NeoGAF

PTR is in the US?
Totally new account, or are things unlocked for you?

PTR is for everyone AFAIK. It just clones whatever you've purchased onto PTR from what I read in the thing, but any progress you make doesn't go anywhere once you are on PTR. You just get an early look at the changes and the new map.

Alur

That I don't know. I would hope there are separate ones but since they haven't specified I would assume it's just one location for the servers yeah.

Kioshen

I suck pretty bad with Kael but he's starting to grow on me ... I think he's starting to start contending for the top spots in my prefered hero list.

Curious to know what balance changes they'll do on the PTR.

Mechazawa

How do you micro an AFK teammate? All the bot does is follow you, no?

I'm pretty sure the bot also responded to my defend pings. Maybe that was just a coincidence.

But still, "carrying" the bot to a different lane and then detaching it on that lane was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom