• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Taking Uther over Rehgar was a massive screw-up on the part of PPSD. They needed a sustained healer given their composition - Uther is for dive comps which want a battle to end quickly. Good on C9V grabbing Malf and banning BW in response.

Alur

I completely forgot this tournament had a loser's bracket...so now we get the treat of potentially two Tempo Storm vs C9M matchups. Dis goin be gud.

I disagree. They can make the talents be whatever they want them to be, there's no reason they can't all be good. Regardless, there's plenty of lame shit that they could definitely make way better before they make the few good choices worse.

MAC JUST WENT SONYA IN NA OPEN

WHERE ARE YOU MAN

FU3jyOv.jpg

Alur

Why do you doubt me alur? Y?!

Cause it was a throwaway game against a scrub team that they had just beaten in 11 minutes the game before, maybe? :D

I mean the game was on Haunted Mines for chrissakes lol

EDIT: beaten by Turdburger lol

SGRU

I'm on an argument with a guy regarding the development costs of that game. Do guys know the investment made on that game? Can it be considered a AAA game?

Thanks!

Alur

During each tournament cast, Twitch chat tells me it's an iPad game that ended up on PC designed for casuls and mouthbreathers. I don't know if that's accurate or not.

I'm kidding. I honestly don't know what went into the game. Just that it's been in the works since 2010 I believe.

EDIT: Tempo Storm just shitting all over C9M lately. Dunkjustgottrained

Alur

I dunno. Dunktrain said in one of the post match interviews it was a lack of practice and familiarity earlier due to the traveling and he thought they had it down now...but ayy lmao after that first game.

Anyone here watch/watched a lot of DOTA play? I'm trying to figure out why DOTA is a lot more fun to watch than Heroes. I haven't even played DOTA in a while but I would still rather watch a game of DOTA than Heroes at the moment.

I guess maybe it's the shared levels? Maybe pro Heroes players are just boring to watch? I dunno.

Anyone else agree?

Alur

I've only watched a couple tournaments. Watched a few League ones too. Never played either. I prefer League myself of the two, but I'd rather watch Heroes.

Maybe it's understanding what's going on better or maybe it's that I've followed these teams for at least 8 months now, I dunno. Plus the monotony early with not a lot going on in the other two versus constantly action in this one. It's way more cat and mouse in the two established games I guess and I'd rather just see the brute force. I just find it more interesting.

Chaos17

Anyone here watch/watched a lot of DOTA play? I'm trying to figure out why DOTA is a lot more fun to watch than Heroes. I haven't even played DOTA in a while but I would still rather watch a game of DOTA than Heroes at the moment.

I guess maybe it's the shared levels? Maybe pro Heroes players are just boring to watch? I dunno.

Anyone else agree?

Watching 45+ mins matches ain't my thing.

Wok

Plus the monotony early with not a lot going on in the other two versus constantly action in this one. It's way more cat and mouse in the two established games I guess and I'd rather just see the brute force. I just find it more interesting.

Early game in Dota2 is now a lot more gank- and fight-oriented that it used to be, with the bounty runes at 0:00, the buff of kill bounty and nerf of creep bounty.

Anyone else agree?

I agree. To me, there are two points: i) I know the heroes in Dota2, but I don't know those of HotS as well, partly due to the business model, ii) heroes and spells are much more easy to identify in Dota2 than in HotS, which makes the fights more readable.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Anyone else agree?

I've watched LoL, Dota, and HotS tournaments and I think they're all interesting, but Dota is less so than the others. Maybe it's because I never really played Dota while I played LoL for several years, but Dota fights just feel so item dependent that the heroes all seem to blend together. All the commentators talk about is Blink Dagger this and BKB that and I'm sitting there scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on.

LoL is also item dependent but there are a lot fewer active abilities to be had from items vs. Dota, so the items are more about buffing your character. The characters are all also super interesting so seeing how different comps go up against each other is fascinating.

HotS to me is the best though: heroes are very differentiated, and the lack of items means it's all about hero composition and talent picks. The 20-minute length doesn't hurt either.

kirblar

when will teams stop picking Falstad
I don't understand what's up with that. I love the guy, but he's needed some work since they rework.
HotS to me is the best though: heroes are very differentiated, and the lack of items means it's all about hero composition and talent picks. The 20-minute length doesn't hurt either.
Yup. This is why you want the universals to generally be mediocre- they're the "items" of the game and homogenize heroes if they're better than everything else and not marginal.

Alur

Listening to Zoia and Zixz from C9V talk the other day they both think it's Jaina/Kael and then Zagara/Falstad for ranged before Valla and whoever else now. /shrug

I think Falstad is underrated. I also think Raynor is too, though.

Wok

I've watched LoL, Dota, and HotS tournaments and I think they're all interesting, but Dota is less so than the others. Maybe it's because I never really played Dota while I played LoL for several years, but Dota fights just feel so item dependent that the heroes all seem to blend together. All the commentators talk about is Blink Dagger this and BKB that and I'm sitting there scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on.

LoL is also item dependent but there are a lot fewer active abilities to be had from items vs. Dota, so the items are more about buffing your character. The characters are all also super interesting so seeing how different comps go up against each other is fascinating.

I could not disagree more. I have the opposite experience and the exact opposite feeling.

Alur

Love to see Complexity get another shot at C9M here. Would really like to see them take advantage of them while they are (theoretically) reeling after getting blanked yet again.

I could not disagree more. I have the opposite experience and the exact opposite feeling.

Which heroes are similar to you, then?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's a wider range of plays available in DOTA 2, thanks to the versatility granted by items. That's the main difference. HOTS inevitably turns into 5 people ramming into 5 other people because there's very little else that can be done. Split pushing is too risky and there's nothing to be gained by farming, no "power peaks" to exploit in the long game (Azmodan being the sole exception). The objectives also force both teams to be adequately suited for team fighting so composition tends to be similar in capability if not execution.

It might change as HOTS expands and diversifies its roster but in the current state of the game everything feels very same-y.

Wok

Which heroes are similar to you, then?

Well, visually, when the heroes are on their mounts, I am not able to quickly distinguish between them.

And when the heroes are on foot, I mistake Tychus for Raynor or Sgt Marteau, Falstad for Muradin on a mount, Valla for Jaina, and others.

The fact that the big creeps come to fight the towers is also confusing, I don't know whether one is a hero.

Also I feel like many heroes have a dash-like ability on a low cooldown, which makes it hard to anticipate which hero can move where.

I have little experience with HotS, so things might change.

Ketch

I think a lot of enjoyment in watching MOBAs comes from understanding what's happening on screen... The more familiar you are with the game the more you will understand and appreciate the big plays and the unexpected draft picks. So those "oh shit!" moments have more weight and are more enjoyable to watch because of it.

That being said I can understand why DOTA might be more exciting to watch for some people because despite the longer match times and farming mechanics, it's actually a faster paced game when it comes ganks and team fights. due to level and item advantage, as well as how the abilities and defenses in DOTA are balanced. Because there's less margin for error, heroes die faster, the exciting moments are more sudden and explosive.

Alur

I have little experience with HotS, so things might change.

I would say this is the crux of the debate from all sides, much like Ketch did.

The more familiar you are with the game the more inclined you probably are to enjoy it and the more foreign a new game would appear. To each his own, after all. They all have their place and it's really in everyone's interest for all three succeed. Heroes succeeding is only going to help the genre, not hurt it.

Alur

I dig both of these teams. It's a shame they can't seem to break the glass ceiling on a regular basis, would make everything more interesting in NA.

kirblar

The replay thing needs to be a thing in all of the casts. Takes the whole broadcast up a level IMO.
It is actually a lot harder than you'd think to get up and running, especially on live casts. (Despite the appearances, these are not live games.) It's definitely great to have for major events though.

Alur

It is actually a lot harder than you'd think to get up and running, especially on live casts. (Despite the appearances, these are not live games.) It's definitely great to have for major events though.

Oh I know they aren't live and this is a rare treat, but I'd love for it to be possible. Even if they just gathered the replays post game and put together a recap of a pivotal play from each game post series it'd be a step up.

Not being able to jump where you want in a replay immediately is part of the problem, though, I guess.

These three personality black holes they have casting are bumming me out.

I'd have to say maybe HOTS casts might not be for you then. Jake and Cooby are pretty much the mainstays for casting in NA (with Fourcourtjester being #3) along with Khaldor in EU. Not sure what there is not to like, myself, but YMMV obviously.

Alur

Are you talking about at the desk or in the games? If you're talking about at the desks, they are on the script. In the games I just don't see the issue. They explain, they hype when they need to, and they cover pretty much everything pertinent.

Not every caster needs to be Khaldor blowing his mind at every drop in health IMO. And I enjoy Khaldor but it's kinda his thing.

patchday

wow that was a close win. Complexity pulled it out. What the hell that Mule thing is crazy powerful. Keeps the main tower up no matter what

Alur

Well that was exciting.

I thought the Barrelboys were done for. Not sure how they didn't get 4% damage off with that VP and those two there. Just couldn't get in.

kirblar

There are some legendary casters in esports.
Jake and Cooby's normal casts aren't like this. It's the ESPN-ization at work where they have to spout inane platititudes to fill airtime and can't have real opinions.

Mule is great on Sky Temple. That game was insane.

Also, does Abathur have a 100% winrate today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom