• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

So today I dscovered the observer system is literally one of the most god awful in-game systems I have ever seen.

Trying to find an ARAM game, end up in a lobby that's already counting down. If you leave as an observer during that time it resets the lobby, so I thought I'd stay in, then quit when the game launched.

Turns out you can't quit when the game is in play - your only option is to exit to desktop. How stupid is that?

Even worse, when you then log back in, it forces you back into the game as if you were a player. No option to not go back into the match. I now have to watch a full legnth ARAM game, or do something else. Plus of course you have to wait on the shitty reconnect system.

I understand they are stuck with the shitty SC2 engine that isn't designed for this sort of thing, but I do worry about how much it will harm them in the long term if this sort of crap is their best solution. This isn't an observer mode, it's a hack job.

So today I dscovered the observer system is literally one of the most god awful in-game systems I have ever seen.

Trying to find an ARAM game, end up in a lobby that's already counting down. If you leave as an observer during that time it resets the lobby, so I thought I'd stay in, then quit when the game launched.

Turns out you can't quit when the game is in play - your only option is to exit to desktop. How stupid is that?

Even worse, when you then log back in, it forces you back into the game as if you were a player. No option to not go back into the match. I now have to watch a full legnth ARAM game, or do something else. Plus of course you have to wait on the shitty reconnect system.

I understand they are stuck with the shitty SC2 engine that isn't designed for this sort of thing, but I do worry about how much it will harm them in the long term if this sort of crap is their best solution. This isn't an observer mode, it's a hack job.

I found that out once due to an observer that for stuck in my game. Unlike you, I'm a dick and will just bail out if I join as an obs while there is a count down. Cause fuck that I'm not sitting watching a fourty minute game of scrubs making misplays.

Maledict

I found that out once due to an observer that for stuck in my game. Unlike you, I'm a dick and will just bail out if I join as an obs while there is a count down. Cause fuck that I'm not sitting watching a fourty minute game of scrubs making misplays.

Well I'm going to be a dick from now on. Sorry folks, but it's absolutely not worth it to stick around and get forced inot a match like that. Utterly stupid.

brian!

Yeah a long time ago we were doing a gaf inhouse and we literally couldnt even get into the game and had to let bots finish the match.

Also tuned in to heroes of the dorm for a sec where jake is making tlv out as a weird pick on towers and then suggesting that they might puck abathur to go "all in" on a soak strat, like dude this is why you arent getting picked up for casting

Ketch

Going all in on that soak strat. Classic.

Like the thing is that he actually hasn't gotten any better. He sucks at observing, casting, and hosting. He was getting propped up by the people around him and now they've all distanced themselves.

I wonder if it was town hall overwatch that pissed people off.

kirblar

Also tuned in to heroes of the dorm for a sec where jake is making tlv out as a weird pick on towers and then suggesting that they might puck abathur to go "all in" on a soak strat, like dude this is why you arent getting picked up for casting
My brain just exploded.

Milly79

Going all in on that soak strat. Classic.

Like the thing is that he actually hasn't gotten any better. He sucks at observing, casting, and hosting. He was getting propped up by the people around him and now they've all distanced themselves.

idk he just had an appreciation thread on reddit

you think he paid someone to do that?

kirblar

I think the problem is that Jake's a well-intentioned guy, but he's kind of an empty suit?

Milly79

I'm ranked #260 in the bracket challenge with 550 points. Hopefully I can stay in the race so I can get the Azmodunk bundle for free. How's everyone else doing?

brian!

he's a cool dude, good at some things, bad at others, the things he's bad at and has had trouble at improving on are good reasons not to pick him up as a caster since there are better ppl to pick up (dunno about dorm finals, he seems like he shoulda been a shoe-in for that tourney, but trikslyr is the man)

Alur

While I agree Jake has lost his luster to most of us here, the sentiment that he's DOA seems a bit premature. There isn't really a similar level backlash to him on Reddit or Twitch that I've seen beyond everyone disliking the Schamtoo decision. From all I've seen THH is still as popular as it ever was. I'm also not a huge fan of his casting, but the outright glee you have at him not getting to cast Dorm finals or Korea championship is a bit...strange, Ketch lol. Didn't you say a while back you don't know why you hate him so bad? I don't know why either.

I think kirblar nailed it to some degree when he said that he is (or comes across as) an empty suit and for whatever reason we gotta rebel on hate on that as video gamers. He's fine. I don't think he's bad on the desk at all (that most suits his suit persona, actually - that's where you put those guys) and bar a stupid thing said here or there (which they pretty much all do, to a man or woman) don't think he's bad casting either when paired with someone who has more in depth knowledge or a bigger personality.

He's not my first, second, or even third choice by any means, but I dunno how we went from critiquing his job to dancing at the news that he got left out of a job. That seems kinda petty. If he hadn't been so into this game early and put so much into it (along with Khaldor in EU) we likely wouldn't have anything to watch anyway. At the very least he should be appreciated for carrying the game as its face until we could get more suitable people in position.

Maledict

Yeah, I think it would be bad for the game if someone like Jake left. I don't actively dislike him like others - his casting is middle of the road for me.

My main beef is how he's managed THH, a show which just could be so much more. State of the NExus is going through the patch notes right now, and it continues to be on a completely different tier to THH.

Milly79

While I agree Jake has lost his luster to most of us here, the sentiment that he's DOA seems a bit premature. There isn't really a similar level backlash to him on Reddit or Twitch that I've seen beyond everyone disliking the Schamtoo decision. From all I've seen THH is still as popular as it ever was. I'm also not a huge fan of his casting, but the outright glee you have at him not getting to cast Dorm finals or Korea championship is a bit...strange, Ketch lol. Didn't you say a while back you don't know why you hate him so bad? I don't know why either.

I think kirblar nailed it to some degree when he said that he is (or comes across as) an empty suit and for whatever reason we gotta rebel on hate on that as video gamers. He's fine. I don't think he's bad on the desk at all (that most suits his suit persona, actually - that's where you put those guys) and bar a stupid thing said here or there (which they pretty much all do, to a man or woman) don't think he's bad casting either when paired with someone who has more in depth knowledge or a bigger personality.

He's not my first, second, or even third choice by any means, but I dunno how we went from critiquing his job to dancing at the news that he got left out of a job. That seems kinda petty. If he hadn't been so into this game early and put so much into it (along with Khaldor in EU) we likely wouldn't have anything to watch anyway. At the very least he should be appreciated for carrying the game as its face until we could get more suitable people in position.

i agree.

Alur

Agreed wholeheartedly man.

My issue with him isn't what he does do so much as what he's missed the opportunity on or is simply unable to do. THH could be huge, for example. His interaction with the community itself is also pretty subpar for someone who claims his content is targeted at the community. He just doesn't have the personality to engage with fans/watchers/listeners and there's a reason Cooby refers to "SolidEgo".

All that aside, though, he (and his show) functioned as the de facto voice for HOTS players to Blizzard for a long time. A lot of things we have were probably helped along quicker (or in the case of bans, made to happen at all) by the regular complaints on THH and from those people and their connections (meaning pro players here) behind the scenes. I respect him and the rest of the cast for that.

The sheriff is in town.

A truer shit stirrer I hath never witnessed.

Milly79

I still haven't even listened to State of the Nexus, but if you're claiming it's better I'll have to check it out. 4 podcasts to manage isn't gonna be essy though.

Alur

I want State of the Nexus on podcast badly. Hard to watch it live or stream with my kids. Easier to listen in the car on commutes.

Ketch

watching it now for the first time and it's actually the best.

the thing that makes it good is that they don't make unqualified blanket statements. There's no zoia/jake esque: "Dumpstered, NEXT!"

also, they should let gazlowe move while charging lazer and chen move while drinking.

kirblar

The Empty Suit thing feels like it's a result of his MLG/EEEEEE-Sports experience working against him. You need a personality to catch people's attention, and he completely submerges his in the interest of being Caesar Flickerman. Have an opinion, be willing to say negative things, etc - the self-censorship isn't a good thing.

Milly79

I think Gaz needs two things:

Get rid of the lazer. The idea is cool and fitting, but it just doesn't work. It takes way too long to charge without talenting into it and the slower charge competes with turret slow or multiple targets.

Secondly, his bomb. I've never went a full bomb build, but the detonation time could be shaved by a second or two.

Gaz is fun, but I wish he were just a little bit better.

Ketch

I agree. I tried full tnt build on PTR because of the changes, but it still sucks. it's way too unreliable, or you just need to be god like to get it to work... and if that's the case just use your god like skills to play a good hero pls.

and yea lazer is so bad. either dont make him stand still or give him a different ability (that doesn't require him to stand still).

think about it. gaz sucks, hammer sucks, chen sucks... what do all these heroes have in common? they have to stand still. Why is chen better the rest? because he has more mobility.

any other heroes that have to stand still to do shit?

oh yea diablo lightning breath - also sucks. zeebo's ravenous - also sucks.

How would you fix all of these abilities? make them do waaaay more damage. laser makes you stand still and does shit damage.

Maledict

They can't really touch Nazeebo. He's one of the best heroes in the game for solo play in ranked and quick match. Also ravenous has a place - it's all I ever pick in ARAM! ;-)

Milly79

Lazer actually does a good bit of damage, the issue is the charge time. If you take the level 16? Talent for an extra second of charge for 100% more damage, it hits like a truck. It's great for finishing people off, but the charge is just way too slow! I do wish they would replace it though. Not sure what they could give him.

When is the last time they changed abilities? Alpha? Early closed beta?

kirblar

They can't really touch Nazeebo. He's one of the best heroes in the game for solo play in ranked and quick match. Also ravenous has a place - it's all I ever pick in ARAM! ;-)
Making hero preference baseline on spiders (without requiring the leaping talent) would be a nice QoL change.

Alur

Damn. Nazeebo still has a 52.3% winrate and is sort of middle of the road in pick rate.

I'm kinda surprised. I always feel like he's weak unless I'm playing in ARAM which makes me sad. I love his master skin.

Zackat

I haven't had the chance to play much on the PTR. How is Butcher with the silence on lamb to the slaughter? Is the lvl 20 that upgrades it so everyone gets chained the way to go?

Zackat

Going to play a few games as him right now. I have just been doing dailies on the live server until the patch comes out. Can hardly get myself to play it knowing this sweet sweet patch is going live in a few days.

Alur

I'm now ranked #115 with 590 points. Come to me, free Azmodunk bundle!

LOL, that shit is insane. How did you pick? I am at like 400 points.

lamb no longer goes through cleanse now though so it's pretty much octo grab tier. huge nerf to butcher.

Ketch is right here Zackat. I forgot about Cleanse working properly now. Shouldn't matter much in QM, TBH, but all in all it's a nerf yeah.

#29658 but I literally clicked randomly.

I was 13256 last night.

EDIT: Oh shit, I'm 6586. Up to 480 points. I GOT SOME RITE GUISE

kirblar

Whats the cutoff for the Dunk bundle? I'm at 270 (no shot), I just picked techy sounding teams. Will use EZGAME method next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom