• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the digital CE's. I actually use the digital bonuses, as paltry as they are for others, while the physical CE's just occupy shelf space gathering dust after I look at the contents once.

Alavard

Played a bunch of Sylvanas last night and took a new talent for the first time - Windrunner (Teleporting with Haunting Wave fully recharges your Withering Fire. Haunting Wave can be cast a second time within 5 seconds after teleporting for free.).

This talent is in a very competitive tier (lvl 13), competing with Life Drain, Will of the Forsaken, and Spell Shield, but man, it adds a lot of damage. Every time you run out of Withering Fire charges, you can pop off her haunting wave, teleport at the earliest opportunity, launch a full stack of withering fire charges, get your extra free cast of haunting wave and do it again. And if you've taken Withering Barrage, thats an extra 12 shots. So good.

Alur

"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED" before an Octo-Grab but in MRGL. He could even have a giant floppy poorly made foam Galive of Azinoth to smack people with.

That's what I'm talking about! Slime could be repurposed to give the AOE flame thing from talented sweeping strikes. Dunno what to do with Puffer or March but I'm sure they could do something. March could just be baby Murkidans I guess.

So they changed the NA schedule, but didn't even bat an eyelash at the EU conflict.

They did that just to tweak Maledict and Familie IMO.

Didn't even notice, Dig made the first qualifier easily anyway. Don't even know when the final qualifier is, or the championship. mYi still has to qualify though, as does NaVi.

There's honestly not enough good EU teams to make them particularly exciting. The same 6 teams +2 stitched together by free agents teams will make it to all of them.

Alur

There's honestly not enough good EU teams to make them particularly exciting. The same 6 teams +2 stitched together by free agents teams will make it to all of them.

You know it's bad when you EU guys are saying this. Cut it to like half of that for even semi-viable teams in NA. The level definitely needs to be upped.

kirblar

Best Buy is $48 + Tax and a $10 BB Giftcard as a throw in. (w/ GCU) - getting the basic one through Blizzard doesn't make sense if you have access to that.

Alur

Can that be bought digitally? I'm assuming they give you a code? I have it, just wondering if I were to buy it that way for someone else.

kirblar

Can that be bought digitally? I'm assuming they give you a code? I have it, just wondering if I were to buy it that way for someone else.
Nah, physical only. I got LOTV from them the Monday before release, so they're good on trying to ship early.

Sioen

Now that I finally got it working, I've been getting wrecked. What are some good beginner heroes? Thrall perhaps?

Alur

Range is better to begin with IMO. Valla is probably the best starter hero.

Muradin (for warriors/tanks) and Lili (for support/healers) are the other two most forgiving to learn those archetypes. It also helps that all of them are just 2k gold a piece IIRC.

Altairre

Played a bunch of Sylvanas last night and took a new talent for the first time - Windrunner (Teleporting with Haunting Wave fully recharges your Withering Fire. Haunting Wave can be cast a second time within 5 seconds after teleporting for free.).

This talent is in a very competitive tier (lvl 13), competing with Life Drain, Will of the Forsaken, and Spell Shield, but man, it adds a lot of damage. Every time you run out of Withering Fire charges, you can pop off her haunting wave, teleport at the earliest opportunity, launch a full stack of withering fire charges, get your extra free cast of haunting wave and do it again. And if you've taken Withering Barrage, thats an extra 12 shots. So good.

That sounds neat, I'll try that. Still hate that they changed the withering fire sound, the old one was so satisfying.

Range is better to begin with IMO. Valla is probably the best starter hero.

Muradin (for warriors/tanks) and Lili (for support/healers) are the other two most forgiving to learn those archetypes. It also helps that all of them are just 2k gold a piece IIRC.

Valla is super mana hungry though, especially if you're just starting out and throw your abilities out more than you probably should. Raynor might be a better choice there.

Alur

Valla is super mana hungry though, especially if you're just starting out and throw your abilities out more than you probably should. Raynor might be a better choice there.

She is, but she's always been that way and is still one of the easiest heroes to get into. Raynor is often a bit of a noob trap for new players because of his lack of mobility. If they don't realize they need to take Revolution Overdrive at 7, it often ends in a bad time. He also requires you to stutter step to get the most out of him, which is a lot to ask of truly new players.

To be honest, if you really think about it it's an easy call IMO. Valla has an escape, Raynor does not. If Valla runs out of mana, she becomes what Raynor is basically the entire time anyway just with 1 tile shorter range.

What's your build with her usually? Still having a hard time figuring her out after the changes.

Have yet to play her on the new patch so can't help with that. Usually went into her Q before that.

Seems like they really neutered her with this patch in utility. Surprised there's so little self cleanse taken according to hotslogs.

Ketch

What's your build with her usually? Still having a hard time figuring her out after the changes.

I think she's stronger then she was before.

I go poison duration, withering range, unstable poison, wailing arrow, windrunner, poison affects heroes, bolt.

Alur

I'm late on the uptake on this, but apparently there was a comment in the AMA that implied loot boxes could potentially come to HOTS?

Loot boxes are fun in Overwatch, but I honestly have no clue how they'd implement it in this game based on the monetization model they have. There's just nothing to really give away in the boxes (because skins are already a set price regardless of skin, not varied prices of in-game currency a-la Overwatch) IMO...that is unless they make stuff.

I really feel like they are missing the boat on some amount of money, or maybe just variety without being monetized, by not giving us portraits of the major HOTS esports teams or portraits of influential Nexus figures like the Raven Lord and such. When I queue into a game, if it's actually all players at my MMR, it's split about 50/50 between the giveaway portraits/achievement portraits and the generic hero portraits telling me that there's probably a good sized amount of people who'd love to see more variety beyond the base bit of hero portraits and stuff we get.

brian!

The optimal build for valla atm is a pretty good way to learn the game imo, a lot of stuff there to get good at if you're starting out

brian!

I like block w/ blades but i havent tried marked for death

Like technically hunter's onslaught has synergy w/ marked, but personally im not into the idea of being forced to q onto the same target, which is why i prefer blades of azinoth + you can hold onto the active for good timings. In a picking split pushers off w/ hunt scenario sure, but even then you prob dont need the q damage.

Milly79

I'm late on the uptake on this, but apparently there was a comment in the AMA that implied loot boxes could potentially come to HOTS?

Loot boxes are fun in Overwatch, but I honestly have no clue how they'd implement it in this game based on the monetization model they have. There's just nothing to really give away in the boxes (because skins are already a set price regardless of skin, not varied prices of in-game currency a-la Overwatch) IMO...that is unless they make stuff.

I really feel like they are missing the boat on some amount of money, or maybe just variety without being monetized, by not giving us portraits of the major HOTS esports teams or portraits of influential Nexus figures like the Raven Lord and such. When I queue into a game, if it's actually all players at my MMR, it's split about 50/50 between the giveaway portraits/achievement portraits and the generic hero portraits telling me that there's probably a good sized amount of people who'd love to see more variety beyond the base bit of hero portraits and stuff we get.

This is exactly what Core talked about near the beginning this week

Alur

This is exactly what Core talked about near the beginning this week

That's where I got it from actually. I had saw the mention of it in the AMA, but didn't think much about til they talked about it on Core.

To give skins they'd have to basically give up making money on those particular skins, unless they release skins good enough (and exclusive to loot boxes) where people might be willing to buy loot boxes, but that kind of gets away from the additional reward aspect of the thing. In Overwatch you will be able to buy loot boxes, too, but you can get anything that's available in a loot box because you already paid for the game.

Additional skin and mount tints and portraits they could do without hurting their business model. Any new skins and mounts would kind of be a toss-up between netting them money the original way, or via loot boxes...and to make something exclusive AND sell the loot boxes on top of that would probably cause quite the stir based on the business model as is.

Ketch

I have a couple questions about new Illidan:

1: reflexive block or Hunter's onslaught
2: marked for death or blades of azinoth

I like block w/ blades but i havent tried marked for death

Like technically hunter's onslaught has synergy w/ marked, but personally im not into the idea of being forced to q onto the same target, which is why i prefer blades of azinoth + you can hold onto the active for good timings. In a picking split pushers off w/ hunt scenario sure, but even then you prob dont need the q damage.

I think in QM with no healer hunter's onslaught hunt is the way to go. but for HL when you've got another front liner and a healer then you need to go reflexive block meta resistance, it's really hard to die if you've got a healer.

I think she's stronger then she was before.

I go poison duration, withering range, unstable poison, wailing arrow, windrunner, poison affects heroes, bolt.

You're doing it wrong if you're not taking possession my friend, it's almost stupidly broken right now. It's amazing for picking off stragglers, it's amazing against solo laners, it's amazing in team fights when you want to drag the healer into range of your assassin's. Not that wailing arrow isn't still good, but it's just so insanely satisfying to guarantee kills with it.

Alur

You're doing it wrong if you're not taking possession my friend, it's almost stupidly broken right now. It's amazing for picking off stragglers, it's amazing against solo laners, it's amazing in team fights when you want to drag the healer into range of your assassin's. Not that wailing arrow isn't still good, but it's just so insanely satisfying to guarantee kills with it.

That's a strong level 7 talent you're describing there. :p

Mind Control is so amazing, it makes calling down a precision strike on Sylvanas stupidly easy.

Mind Control is situationally great, but like Ravenous Spirit, it makes Sylvanas vulnerable because she has to remain stationary to channel. Channeling gets more dangerous the longer a game goes on because there's less safe ground to channel from. Mind Control is great if you're winning a match and have a lot of map control. Wailing Arrow is a great initiation/counter-initiation tool no matter how the match is going.

Indignate

Mind Control is dope as fuck. It has way to much range and doesn't seem to break if they get out of that range during the channel before it pops off (which I think shouldn't happen and it's where they should nerf it).

Arrow is still good and prob the better pick, but I'm taking Mind Control more often right now. It's nice to finally have two viable ults for her though.

Alur

It makes her QM use a little stronger, IMO. One of the few things you can count on in QM/HL, regardless of MMR, is a random enemy running at you and the team wanting to fight no matter the context. Mind Control gives you that.

The issue with Wailing Arrow was always the same as other ults like it. Setup ults I mean. It needed follow up or it was wasted. It has to be up there with Divine Palm and Stim Drone for the most wasted ult in QM on a per game basis.

Ketch

wailing arrow is imho the better ultimate. it has much more utility, is easier to pull off, and doesn't put yourself at risk.

you can interrupt, turn a fight, solo kill or long range snipe with it. mind control is a neat trick and it's good at singling a target out or capitalizing on an enemies mistake. but you can do those things with arrow as well and it requires less coordination and risk.

brian!

What's great about the ult rework is that they both do pretty different things and are both strong enough to be picked for situation, even tho arrow situations occur more often. Esp. if you consider the ways the ults manipulate the enemy team (arrow pushes them back, mc brings them forward in most situations, havent run into the hype mc to save someone situation yet it's always to get a pick atm)

Also rip dancing as reaction to mc, very sad about this

Maledict

I finally got Falstad in an ARAM match this evening. As someone who plays Falstad more than any other hero nowadays, it was rather entertaining how ridiculously, *stupidly* good he is in a single lane, 5 man brawl map.

One of those heroes who can literally carry a team with the stacking damage talent at level 1. I had it over 100 before I'd even hit level 7. throughout the game it was always giving me at least +100% damage to the hammer, so that thing *hurt* when it connected.

brian!

kael is prob the most egregious aram stacker, it's so free and fast

aram dream team
kael, azmo, falstad, muradin, uhhhh rehgar? dunno which support I'd put as best disengage/peeler
prob need another melee tho, had a xul w/ a similar comp that worked really well yesterday

Been encountering Xul/Dehaka cheese combos lately that also, but not always, include a Thrall, Tyrande and/or Diablo. Tyrande or Xul start the stunlock and the rest follows, usually resulting in a hero delete.

Maledict

kael is prob the most egregious aram stacker, it's so free and fast

aram dream team
kael, azmo, falstad, muradin, uhhhh rehgar? dunno which support I'd put as best disengage/peeler
prob need another melee tho, had a xul w/ a similar comp that worked really well yesterday

I find Kael to be bad tbh. You can stack his flame strike quest really fast (I had it at leve 7 I think), but that means no arcane barrier and you still have the problem that people just move out the flame strike, and even when they don't it's not as much damage as a landed blizzard or li-Ming orb.

Have to be honest, I'm more dissapointed with the new Kael everytime I play him. I just don't get how they felt this was in any way balanced or even fun compared to everyone else out there.

Altairre

Tried out Artanis for the first time today. What a fun hero. I thought I read something recently that they wanted to include some form of zealot charge in his base kit?

Alur

Yessir. A nerfed version will be part of his based kit (probably small range). Will be a huge improvement at level 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom