• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs

QM is the only place to guarantee you get to play the hero you want to play. I unfortunately had to endure a few days of QM to get Alarak to level 9. It was brutal, but my win rates up to 49% w/ him.

scoobs

once you embrace the lawlessness and impossibilities involved in QM things can be a lot easier to handle and laugh at

God is that ever true. Employ the YOLO strategy and you will find you'll have a much better time. Dive fucking in there and kick some ass, yes you will definitely die but you might be able to instill some confidence in your team and grab a couple kills on your way out.

Kioshen

QM is your issue

Why do you want to hurt yourself?

For many reasons, like ladder anxiety, I'm rusty beyond belief if I'm able to lose like that and I don't have a deep enough pool of heroes that I can play competently to be valuable in hero league. I don't even have any concepts of a correct comp so that doesn't help either. I may have access to all heroes bar two but that doesn't mean anything really.

Milly79

Unranked bro! Do it!

And I find it funny Chu's stream title is: "quick Battlerite before bed". I've been to sleep since then, that was 6 hours ago :lol. He's playing with Fan and bkid and they're destroying. I need to fire this game up today.

scoobs

It's the best place to learn drafting, team comps, map strategy, etc. There is nothing to get anxious about since it's not ranked, just try to learn and have fun. If your teammates are being shitty people then just mute them.

I played 4 games of Rexxar this morning having not touched him since release week.... Won all 4 and dominated. Rexxar is very strong right now if you can stand controlling that bear. Plus his new skin is too sexy! I was specing into the PVE talents and just dominating with map control and hopping into team fights to secure kills with my stun.

Just beware unranked won't stop people from being dicks and drafting irregardless
, yes that's not a word,
of what your comp needs. Also first pick nova and still mothereffingfucking banning KT.

Alur

For many reasons, like ladder anxiety, I'm rusty beyond belief if I'm able to lose like that and I don't have a deep enough pool of heroes that I can play competently to be valuable in hero league. I don't even have any concepts of a correct comp so that doesn't help either. I may have access to all heroes bar two but that doesn't mean anything really.

No reason to have ladder anxiety with unranked. It's a separate MMR and...well, there's no rank. It's there to help people learn and (more or less) avoid the pitfalls of QM.

You've been saying you're rusty since we started playing together in OW and Clash more than a month ago :p. I would venture you are just fine, and by virtue of your skill in OW and Clash Royale it's hard for me to imagine you shitting the bed in this game which is arguably easier than those two (def easier than OW to play at the level you play at in OW).

irregardless
, yes that's not a word,

When I got married several years ago, my wife badgered me til I struck this word from my vocabulary. It's in the dictionary now, though. Started as a misnomer now we here.

And I find it funny Chu's stream title is: "quick Battlerite before bed". I've been to sleep since then, that was 6 hours ago :lol. He's playing with Fan and bkid and they're destroying. I need to fire this game up today.

McIntyre played it last night as well.

It was fun. It's a whole new meaning to anxiety in competitive gaming, though, as it often comes down to a 1v1. Still not sure which hero I like, but gat damn if Shifu isn't in every fucking game. Lucie and Poloma look pretty strong too.

Maybe if someone wasn't a sleepy head we could've played it last night. :D

Kioshen

No reason to have ladder anxiety with unranked. It's a separate MMR and...well, there's no rank. It's there to help people learn and (more or less) avoid the pitfalls of QM.

You've been saying you're rusty since we started playing together in OW and Clash more than a month ago :p. I would venture you are just fine, and by virtue of your skill in OW and Clash Royale it's hard for me to imagine you shitting the bed in this game which is arguably easier than those two (def easier than OW to play at the level you play at in OW).

Well I was mostly talking about HL but I'll give unranked a try. Clash I can control my side of the board and overwatch it's easier to carry games. What I'm saying is that I still make stupid positioning decisions after all this time and just don't know what to fix really. I'll keep saying the old adage until I can work on something else : Don't die.

For some reason, people burst me down with ease or AA harder than I seem to do myself. I keep poking and poking but people just turn around and bam I'm dead.

brian!

I think heroes like raynor or lunara are good teachers of positioning since their whole thing is hitting ppl without getting hit back. Id suggest worrying less about dying and more about maximizing deepz (which will help w/r/t positioning since they are inextricably linked), all mobas are about pushing the limits of what you can get away with. So like in this philosophy when you die you are thinking "ugh i could be getting so many things done right now" instead of "ugh i just fed the enemy exp", the worst thing to fall into in mobas is being fearful.

Kioshen

I started by picking Falstad up since he's still so meta but a little too squishy and ability dependant for now so I did try good ole Raynor. I was topping the charts with him but can't fix stupid as always. Will try Lunara next since I always dread facing her in lane. At least I'll know her weakness afterwards.

I will also try to change my approach of trying not to die but thinking what else can be done. I won't be trying to feed for sure but at least explore alternatives.

Alur

You can't play too passive. You're gonna die some. You're also gonna be out of position some. Even the pros regularly get caught out. It's not something to beat yourself up over. Just do the best you can and try to make the plays you can.

Alur

Milly is the king of #passivelyfe. He doesn't die much, but he also leaves a few dollars on the table from time to time. All depends on how you look at it. He did go through a phase where he was gung-ho for a bit. It must've faded during our break, though.

brian!

Falstad is more utility orientated so success w/ him is often more measured by making decisive plays and maximizing map presence. I think if you are topping charts w/ raynor without feeding you are already a great contributor and the main thing to work on in this kind of situation is to not fold under decisive late-game situations while maintaining the lvl of dmg you have already been doing, but a lot of that is matchup knowledge which youll get jus by playing a bunch and trying those heroes

Wait whats that about, the shield is stacking? 260 seems normal
260 is normal, no stacking. The thread was arguing calamity is too good and diamond skin is what breaks the camel's back.

I only ever take diamond skin against a persistent nova or something, I really just don't take diamond skin anymore.

So sad they are nerfing orb build. Going full in on orbs had hilarious results.

brian!

Oh ok just reddit being weird again lol

You only take diamond skin if you need the extra protection from dives, and if you really want survivability synergy w/ calamity the lvl 13 and lvl 4 talent are more useful and not so singular

Alur

They improved the precision. Now it doesn't get clipped on every little thing that happens around it. It's easier to use it like the bowling ball it should be that you can finely aim than a huge mass of blah that it was before.

Alur

I'm talking about the size in general. It is now easier to avoid minions and other crap in the way which = an improvement on your ability to aim the projectile. Not sure how that is reduction in precision. That's how you improve precision, by removing impediments. It's a reduction in the skill required to aim it, sure, but that's simply because it is now easier to be precise.

I'm talking about the size in general. It is now easier to avoid minions and other crap in the way which = an improvement on your ability to aim the projectile. Not sure how that is reduction in precision. That's how you improve precision, by removing impediments. It's a reduction in the skill required to aim it, sure, but that's simply because it is now easier to be precise.
That's what I was trying to say put in proper words.

FML, I still gotta penalty matches from getting d/c'd during those DDos attacks this morning.

Damn things got me yesterday to so now I'm at 4 penalty games ;_;

Kioshen

Lunara is fun now what the hell ! I missed a couple of patches but she sure feels different now. First thing tyrael did when he got lv 10 was to judgement me out of frustration lmao.

Schuhu

Neo Member
And we peaked for the season, blizzard needs to lock Grand Master for the frist 1-2 weeks because everyone is stuck in diamond 3 und the first to get out aren't necessarily high grandmaster stuff.
9Eh9k9d.jpg

brian!

I dunno how it works in hots but in league the top ladder is something you have to fight for until the season ends, usually the gud players are still around

Alur

I dunno how it works in hots but in league the top ladder is something you have to fight for until the season ends, usually the gud players are still around

Think he's referring to being able to break into GM early in the season if you do your placements quickly and spam a good amount games afterward and can hover in that high Diamond range. Last season proto pushed into GM for a few days early on in the season as well.

Eventually the ladder warriors and pros (plus their alts) spam enough to push Master/high Diamond people out, but early if you are near that skill level you can sneak in there and hold it for a bit. In theory if you are relatively close in MMR range to the bottom, you could keep spamming to stay in there since the system rewards amount of games more than it does total MMR. Just not sure it's worth it outside of poking in, getting the rewards, and getting your screenshot of the accomplishment. Would be much harder to stick now, as well, due to it being just 200 people instead of 500.

Alavard

So, League of Legends just announced they're doing the crowdfunded prize-pool for their big tournaments, just like Dota 2 has been doing with The International. I wonder how long it takes Blizz to finally jump on that train.

I mean, it seems like a smart thing to do right?

Alur

Can't believe League didn't already do it. They already sell team branded stuff in their shop. Makes perfect sense.

Hope Blizz is willing to consider doing the same, if for no other reason than so we can have team branded stuff in our shop.

Alavard

Can't believe League didn't already do it. They already sell team branded stuff in their shop. Makes perfect sense.

Hope Blizz is willing to consider doing the same, if for no other reason than so we can have team branded stuff in our shop.

I guess now that I think about it - the only concern (from the Blizzard end I mean) is that they hold the tournament at Blizzcon, to which they already sell the virtual tickets.

So, they either have to combine the virtual ticket with the crowdfunding prize pool and risk losing some money (if they give out let's say 25% of the sales of the new combined ticket but don't make an additional 25% more sales of it), or they have to create a separate thing from the virtual ticket that is only for the prize pool that doesn't grant the cosmetics from the virtual ticket.

I guess now that I think about it - the only concern (from the Blizzard end I mean) is that they hold the tournament at Blizzcon, to which they already sell the virtual tickets.

So, they either have to combine the virtual ticket with the crowdfunding prize pool and risk losing some money (if they give out let's say 25% of the sales of the new combined ticket but don't make an additional 25% more sales of it), or they have to create a separate thing from the virtual ticket that is only for the prize pool that doesn't grant the cosmetics from the virtual ticket.

tournament streams are free for Blizzcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom