• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

So, I was looking through my heroes and noticed that a lot of them have random (or basic) skins and colours, which aren't what I normally use. I think that Brawl might be messing it up. Has anyone else noticed this?

I assumed it was something that happened in the patch today. Brawl hadn't changed any of my skins before now.

scoobs

His Q cancels all DoTs on him btw. If Gul'Dan hits you with a corruption, or Lunara has her nasty DoTs on you, you can just Q to wipe them all off. Its pretty handy.

Celegus

His Q cancels all DoTs on him btw. If Gul'Dan hits you with a corruption, or Lunara has her nasty DoTs on you, you can just Q to wipe them all off. Its pretty handy.

Also cancels Butcher charge, so don't use it on him ever. It works a lot like Tracer's recall, but with a shorter cooldown.

Altairre

Seconded on both. If you've lost 3 in a row, it's time to take a break or play a different mode. If beating your head up against the wall is your thing, you're not gonna last long back in HOTS again.

And if you're in QM, while it's okay to bitch about the comps in game to your team, you can't really expect much or still be salty about it after. They put unranked in for a reason after many, many requests.

3 is my magic number as well as far as losses go. If that happens I'm just done for the day. That being said I think the last Zeratul game I played broke me, haven't been back since. It was the kind of shit you have to expect in QM, in this case twiddling your thumbs after a teamwipe late game instead of going core ("we can't go core the keep is still up"), then deciding mercs + boss is the better idea even though the enemy team was almost up again. Needless to say we get wiped while doing boss and lose. Like I said, my fault for playing QM but that throw really tilted me. Had just added some money to buy shit too but I guess I can always spend that later. That Kerrigan skin isn't going anywhere. Still following this thread too, best Chromie discussions you can find (huehue). Samuro doesn't really look all that interesting to me though I do want to try out Zarya eventually.

Milly79

Sam down to 64.2%.

With Blizzcon coming up (if they follow the same schedule), he won't be seeing more nerfs for at least 2 weeks you think?

Just won my promotion match last night to finally hit Gold 5. I can feel myself really getting better over the past 6 months, watching streamers, analyzing Hotslogs, etc.

Really satisfied with my ranking so far, hoping to get even better before the season is through.

Alavard

Just won my promotion match last night to finally hit Gold 5. I can feel myself really getting better over the past 6 months, watching streamers, analyzing Hotslogs, etc.

Really satisfied with my ranking so far, hoping to get even better before the season is through.

Hey, congrats, and keep up the good work!

Alur

Sam down to 64.2%.

With Blizzcon coming up (if they follow the same schedule), he won't be seeing more nerfs for at least 2 weeks you think?

I believe they said the only buffs/nerfs we would see prior to Blizzcon are for him because he's not available at Blizzcon. I dunno if that means more will come or not, but I would hope so.

I wonder if Glaurung picked up Alarak by now. He should be right up his alley but I've not seen anyone on denial play him so far and the time to hide stuff is about to be over.

Well that went about as expected but at least it wasn't on glau.

Alur

That push with the objective near level 10 was like Hero League/QM in a nutshell. When one team is just clearly better than another, they can just push back out and roflstomp like that. Normally you see teams hesitant to engage there because of all the clutter.

Kudos to them I guess. Glad they can get a chuckle out of it, but it isn't much to watch =/.

I just don't see denial adapting much the are running mostly the same compositions no matter their success.

well its interesting, because leaving qualifiers, the issue lobbed most at denial was flexibility, which it sounds like they drilled hard on, and i think it shows. But they then seemed to weaken in teamfighting fundamentals

scoobs

This must suck for a couple of these teams. Basically they could end up playing 4 games and going back home.

Ya but they got to go to Blizzcon for free, and get to hang out for the entire show and play the new stuff. Plus all the parties that go on, and trying to hook up with cosplay Tyrandes at the bar. I'd still be stoked.

Alur

Do they get to stay for actual Blizzcon, though? That's up to their organization funding that whole extra week for nothing, isn't it?

Alur

Yes, everyone gets money for showing up. But if my money for showing up goes directly back into staying, that would be shitty since I only got 4 games in and never saw the big stage.

Also, please quit digging a hole Glaurung. We know you dudes are getting smoked by Korea, as is everyone else probably. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Alur

So teams in the HGC next year will receive roughly $100,000 per team, which could mean ~$20,000 per player depending on the split and subs/coaches. That's a huge step up, and before prize pools.

I feel like this ought to be enough money to entice some lesser pros from other MOBAs to jump ship. What do you guys think?

brian!

i hope so but it feels more likely that ppl on the cusp of breaking through in other mobas might switch over rather than more players like zuna who actually got kinda far.
i think they could do pretty well if they did switch tho

brian!

sponsored teams receive a salary and usually play tournaments all year, but yeah it's not great
in bigger games they will receive housing and living expenses too

Alur

$20k a year is nothing. Its nice they're paying players, but its not enough to live off of.

$20k a year isn't much to someone working a real job, sure, but to dudes who are lucky to get $2,000 to split 5 ways out of a $25,000 prize pool two or three times a year it's a huge upgrade.

Almost all of the money in this game stays in the top 2 or 3 teams. Now, everyone will make more than they did previous. Significantly more for teams that weren't in the top two.

They were already living off of less before, so I don't see how this is anything but a positive.

sponsored teams receive a salary and usually play tournaments all year, but yeah it's not great
in bigger games they will receive housing and living expenses too

Yeah, they'll get their 20k and they'll still make money from their team/sponsorship/prize pools as well. It's a considerable upgrade for these guys in quality of life if they've been doing this since Alpha/Beta for low prize pools and no guaranteed money.

Don't some teams in HOTS still provide housing and what not already, anyway? Pretty sure AA stay at or use the same place that Cognitive used to use (eSports arena) based on their THH appearance.

brian!

as a prize pool for not winning it's real nice
i only know that ts had a house, i think ppl bootcamp sometimes like nvt and aa but im not sure the org foots the bill

Alur

20k as a baseline guarantee before sponsorships? (assuming you don't get knocked out of the league) That seems fantastic.

It's $100k for the year, provided they remain in the league. So 20k or less depends on how many people they pay. Just 5 players is 20k. 5 and a coach? 5 and a sub and a coach? Less. But still an improvement.

scoobs

Its technically more than 0, so its obviously better. I'm just saying, if you want to keep these guys on their teams and continuing with eSports as a career, they have to make more money than this.

kirblar

Its technically more than 0, so its obviously better. I'm just saying, if you want to keep these guys on their teams and continuing with eSports as a career, they have to make more money than this.
Yes, that's what sponsorships and prize money are for.

Alur

Why not? Players have done it. Other MOBA pros do it. Fan does it quite a bit for the past while now.

I think it's more they don't like the game enough to keep playing in their free time than that they actually "can't".

scoobs

the stream income thing would work if people actually watched HOTS on twitch. Only 4 or 5 hots streamers are successful.

brian!

i dont think fan is making a living with his ~100 viewers unless there are some ham donations, for hots you gotta do stuff more like chu and mewn, pros also scrim during peak hours

man i cant read again, yeah pros can make some spending money w/ streaming, I thought we were talking about sustaining urself w/ streaming
basically it's a time issue, they cant do these marathon hots streams for 8 hours and build themselves up and be energetic and entertaining and also do 8 hours of scrims and stuff

Alur

basically it's a time issue, they cant do these marathon hots streams for 8 hours and build themselves up and be energetic and entertaining and also do 8 hours of scrims and stuff

Why not? I see Sneaky and the TSM dudes doing it pretty often. And their game and schedules are probably far more demanding.

HOTS viewership isn't great, sure, but a decent percentage of why it is so bad is that there is so little option. No one sticks with it. Dunk was pulling a couple hundred a day and quit. Kaeyoh is spotty. Dread did it for about 3 weeks and then he was "too busy" despite people clamoring to watch him. Zuna used to stream. McIntyre streams in spurts. Even "personality" streamers like HORSEPANTS and mewn aren't exactly reliably from time to time like chu8.

I still think an enterprising pro or three could carve out a nice little side gig a-la chu8 with subs and donations and YouTube videos patched together from streams. It'd take some work, but if they really wanted the money they could do it and it would help the game at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom