• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs

The only streamers worth watching are HORSEPANTS and Chu8. Chu8 is tier S streamer. HORSEPANTS is tier 1. Mewnfares is like tier 4.

Maledict

It's one reason why cris is so successful. The guy streams like a machine - often streaming every day, and streaming before scrims and then straight after scrims. I think a lot of hots players dont realize that you don't just need to be a good player and entertaining to watch - you do also need to put a lot of hours into streaming if you are going to make some money off it. And you can't do it for two weeks, then quit because you don't have five thousand subs already.

Ketch

I mean like Alur said... I really doubt that HOTS pros are too busy to stream consistently. Unless they also have day jobs (which they very well could or maybe even should?), then they're not any busier then pro gamers from other scenes who stream consistently.

Alur

you do also need to put a lot of hours into streaming if you are going to make some money off it. And you can't do it for two weeks, then quit because you don't have five thousand subs already.

Exactly, that's what I was getting at.

If these dudes do it every day for a month or so, the numbers (and donations) start going up. It's only a matter of repetition provided they are either entertaining enough or a big enough name to get the first 100 or so through the door.

brian!

I feel like the conversation is getting away from me because im tired and cant communicate lol

So basically hots has a really shitty amount of viewers and the ppl who tune in usually attach themselves to some sort of entertaining personality. I think chu has said this in the past too, that he wouldnt mind playing for a pro team but hes streaming and making money so the pro teams would have to compensate accordingly + streaming is more sustainable for his situation compared to competing and potentually diminishing his brand if he gets dunked on. Imo the pro hots players that stream after hours do it cuz they enjoy it, same with content creation. The video guides also exist partially for monetization too, im thinking making guides for ts/icy veins dont pay much

In league it's a whole different thing because ppl actually watch and it's popular. In some cases players will even request clauses in their contract that allows them to stream. ~2011 tsm would consistently not attend tourneys because they would make more streaming. But during the season it's unusual to see streaming (usually ppl stream after scrim blocks) from pros without situated brands and again lots of ppl are super wiped out after playing the game for so long and so intensely that it's hard for them to keep going.

Pretty much the idea here is that for hots pros the casual afterhours streaming is not lucrative the way it is for other games vs. the type of streaming that mewn and chu do. They can make some cash and get some subscribers, but not in a way that will pay rent and expenses

Heres an article i googled that details twitch $ circa 2015 http://www.dailydot.com/esports/twitch-streaming-money-careers-destiny/

Anotha one from a guy who went pretty all in: http://danielfenner.com/how-much-does-a-streamer-make-january-2015/

I think if hots pros made the effort they could build a brand and do decent

I dont really know what they are thinking tho, im sure some ppl consider streaming a distraction and some are lazy and dont care and some just value their free time

so the overall issue is the lack of a large twitch viewerbase? What would need to happen to increase viewership?

More heroes? More quality streamers? More Tournaments? More brawl modes? More cho'gall/abathur/TLV stlye hereos? Everything? Its impossible?

brian!

Probably memes

But yeah i mean i think the new tourney will drive viewership a bit but for hots to do bigger numbers probably other games have to die off first

Ketch

Pretty much the idea here is that for hots pros the casual afterhours streaming is not lucrative the way it is for other games vs. the type of streaming that mewn and chu do. They can make some cash and get some subscribers, but not in a way that will pay rent and expenses

I agree. I brought it up because we were talking about the 20k per year salary. The salary itself isn't great, but combine it with winnings and streaming on the side, and I think it's a pretty reasonable yearly wage for a 20-something who plays video games for a living.

scoobs

The deputy Valla skin is S tier. Amazing animations, design, booty, everything you'd want in a skin. I'm never playing another hero ever again

so the overall issue is the lack of a large twitch viewerbase? What would need to happen to increase viewership?

More heroes? More quality streamers? More Tournaments? More brawl modes? More cho'gall/abathur/TLV stlye hereos? Everything? Its impossible?

A more exciting game. HOTS is way too balanced. To a League or DOTA viewer, watching HOTS is like drinking watered-down KoolAid. And I say this as someone who enjoys watching all of them, so I think I understand where LOL and DOTA viewers are coming from when they say they feel that way.

I'll point to Slardar in DOTA as an example. His W is literally Divine Storm on an 8 second cooldown. And his Ultimate is essentially a physical-only Hunter's Mark with a 25-second duration on a 5-second cooldown. And while he's a popular pick in competitive DOTA, Slardar isn't even close to first-pick material (and hasn't really ever been).

This is why you hear a lot of pros like Zuna saying stuff like "make every hero imbalanced instead of nerfing heroes." It makes things more exciting and raises the skillcap. The problem with that is HOTS is constructed in such a way that "imbalanced" stuff has no counterplay after the draft screen as items don't exist. As an example, in HOTS you wouldn't be able to buy a diffusal blade to purge an Omniknight's Repel (a buff that makes a hero magic immune). If you didn't draft a purging hero to begin with, you'd be completely fucked. In DOTA you pick Omni expecting people to buy a Diffusal but there's often a midgame timing where the other team doesn't have it yet and during that window Omni is ridiculously strong.

And so you're left with this game that to LOL and DOTA fans looks neutered and boring to watch. I don't really know what the solution is. I'm sure there's one out there, but the talent system as it stands just doesn't allow for that kind of flexibility.

There's that and they need to start having near-zero downtime between competitive matches. Like literally 3 minutes tops. If games are shorter, which HOTS games are relative to its competition, there needs to be a concerted effort to spend as much time in game as possible. I'm sure they're trying but it's really not good enough so far.

I was timing the time between Dream League games and Blizzcon games today. I think it's pretty embarrassing that it took HOTS the same amount of time to go from game 1 to game 2 of Denial's first series as it took Alliance and Vega to go from game 1 to 2 of their Dream League match despite G1 of the DOTA match lasting twice as long (29 minutes).

Also HOTS has this massive map pool and yet we still never see much variety because matches are BO3 and teams ban out the weird maps. HOTS should be able to finish a BO5 in the time it takes for DOTA to do a BO3 if they'd just get their shit together and not have all this downtime.

scoobs

I don't remember who all was playing earlier today, but it was super fun and thanks for inviting me (even if I didn't get MVP when I obviously should have!) :D

Also I'm just looking at hotslogs win percentages right now and I'm fucking stunned how low Greymane and Alarak are. Both extremely good heroes and they're bottom 5 somehow.

Alur

It was me, Milly, and proto. The 5th wasn't a GAFer, just someone we've met in queue a while back. That was a pretty good stomp we had.

IceMarker

I never see any of you in the GAF chat channel in-game. Add me if you don't mind casual QM games, I'm not a fan of unranked/ranked. IceMarker#1172 (NA)

And I promise, regardless of my post history, I only get salty when I solo queue.

brian!

I remember getting a couple of inhouses together, around when stage dive etc was op and muradin was about to break out as op...wait that sounds familiar

Alur

In house always led to stomp house because the skill levels of everyone were so different. Was hard to set up teams fairly.

A chair league team would be neat but I dunno what everyone's schedule is.

im game for stuff, what regions are people in? im over on pacific time. I think the main clincher to doing gaf groups is just giving enough of a heads up. If we call it out a day or two in advance it would be alot easier for me. Although if im online you can always whisper me!

brian!

it's cool i probably suck now
u guys wanna go hard in the paint @ ~10 est?
can you do brawl in a custom game, we could do that too

Ketch

nvm, I still dont want to play this game.

the shit that pisses me off is that no matter how good you do if your teammates suck just a little bit they end up weighing like 10,000 lbs and you cant carry them.

scoobs

I played quite a few games w/ another gaffer here but other people were doing HL and shit, so we didn't end up all playing together. Probably for the best, had some really shitty games tonight.

Maybe we can get together for some team league this weekend?

Kioshen

I'd be up for it. I just need to remember to not stand in phoenix so that the opposing kt doesn't get a card for damage without doing anything. If anything i'll widen the mmr gap so that we can get some wins.

brian!

If im available im down

Prtty good games tonight for western viewers, aa vs. pba and dig vs. mvp.
Wonder if there is a pool going on for korean teams to see how many teams they can spread the western participants across post-blizcon

Got her to level 9 on one account and 8 on another but haven't played her since the last round of nerfs. Been playing Chen, Samuro, and Valla mostly. How is she now? Does she feel any different or were the damage nerfs not hugely noticeable as you play?

Doesn't feel very different to me but I never went for the chart topping builds. She just makes the plays as a pseudo support with some nasty harass. I feel like Pain is Temporary is still underrated as the absolute best talent at 13, she's almost unkillable at 20 combined with the shield rewind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom