• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

I can't remember ever losing two games in a row with the based brian! That shook me to my core, and it was then I knew that I must rage quit after our next loss.

scoobs

Just to chime in on the Kyle Fergusson discussion...

Agreed for the most part, he has gotten a little big-headed, especially recently with his climb to master, and Garret certainly isn't helping the matter with how he sucks up to Kyle on such a frequent basis. But he is a skilled player and has plenty of insightful thoughts on the game. My issues with him are his "meta knowledge" is fairly lacking, he likes to pretend he knows what hes talking about and is sometimes just flat-out wrong about which heroes/abilities are good at the moment, so he spreads misinformation on occasion which makes me cringe when I hear it on the podcast. Also he mispronounces everything, which bothers me on a whole different kind of level, but tha'ts neither here nor there.

Overall though I really love his YouTube channel, and his game knowledge is pretty strong and I've learned a few things from him that I hadn't elsewhere. I think he does ALOT more good for the community than bad, we're kind of just nitpicking at this point. I'm glad he and his show ITN exist.

His co-host Garrett, on the other hand, is pretty becoming fairly worthless. He clearly does not play the game very much (he hosts like 5 podcasts for other Blizz games, namely Overwatchers) and really doesn't contribute much other than feed Kyle's ego, and loosely follow the scene as he plays Overwatch with most of his free time. The show could use a new voice, someone who actually plays the game and can provide valuable contributions other than to read patch notes and ask Kyle how his Hero League games are going.

I do think that if you really love HOTS, and are looking for good YouTube content for it you should check out Kyle's channel. He doesn't just play games and post them all, he has different series like Q&A, reviews fan submitted games for analysis, and even analyzes his own games. Plus he is one of those streamers who actually discusses their mindset while they play, which I really do enjoy. The content can sometimes get a little stale because he literally only plays Tychus, Diablo, and Leoric, but its still good stuff in general. He plays way too much Tychus though. If Tychus didn't exist, he never would have sniffed master league.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i just need one more game for the nexus challenge. i hope i dont accidentally forget to get it done by the 4th... that would suck

Maledict

Yah i dunno how to play tracer esp. against varian lol

I don't think there is a way to play Tracer against Varian without dying tbh. He has two absolutely hard counters against her that she can't dodge. Mind you, Tracer doesn't seem that great in the current meta either which is a shame as she's so much fun to play.

Milly79

Tracer is really fun, but she sucks complete ass right now. No matter how much juking and jiving you do, her health pool is way too small.

scoobs

Tracer is still good, yall just suck at her. I still see her pop up in competitive games, she's so fucking annoying if played by a skilled player. The trick to Tracer is to just fucking go in. You can't be a bitch.

Maledict

Tracer is still good, yall just suck at her. I still see her pop up in competitive games, she's so fucking annoying if played by a skilled player. The trick to Tracer is to just fucking go in. You can't be a bitch.

She pops up with Tassadar and another support against very specific comps - that's it. She just doesn't have the health for going all in without Tassadar to support her. Even at the pro-level she's unplayable without him, and at the hero league level of play she often just feel spointless.

It doesn't help that the current meta (2 warrior or 2 support" is very strong against her as wel. plus Raynor, Valla and tychus are the top 3 ranged assassins and all do well against her - she's a mage killer, and mages aren't that good right now.

Milly79

Oh, right. I forgot you were a pro. My bad.

Kioshen

Yah i dunno how to play tracer esp. against varian lol

The only thing I've found is to bait his parry, recall his stun, hope you do have enough damage and in the end just kite him and go for his back line because screw him there's enough squishies to go around anyway.

Maledict

The only thing I've found is to bait his parry, recall his stun, hope you do have enough damage and in the end just kite him and go for his back line because screw him there's enough squishies to go around anyway.

If it's a tank spec varian you can't even do that. Taint will absolutely kill you every time.

My issue with Tracer diving the back line is she doesn't have the explosive damage she used to have and if they behave any sort of sustained damage she's going to trade equally at best when she goes into the back line. Typhus or Raynor just annihilate her. She's. It the backlkme threat she used to be without those tassadar shields.

(Tychus health is utterly DUMB btw. He has more health at level 10 than Valla at 20 apparently, and three different ways of getting resistant (all of which can stack).

scoobs

If it's a tank spec varian you can't even do that. Taint will absolutely kill you every time.

My issue with Tracer diving the back line is she doesn't have the explosive damage she used to have and if they behave any sort of sustained damage she's going to trade equally at best when she goes into the back line. Typhus or Raynor just annihilate her. She's. It the backlkme threat she used to be without those tassadar shields.

(Tychus health is utterly DUMB btw. He has more health at level 10 than Valla at 20 apparently, and three different ways of getting resistant (all of which can stack).
When did they change her burst damage? They haven't touched her bomb or melee as far as I can remember...

The nerfed her AA damage, HP, and her recall talents.

Milly79

In other news, the new brawl is pretty fun. It is legit all random. Have had teams with 2 healers on each side, 3 tanks, etc. The map is also gorgeous as hell compared to Lost Cavern.

Alavard

In other news, the new brawl is pretty fun. It is legit all random. Have had teams with 2 healers on each side, 3 tanks, etc. The map is also gorgeous as hell compared to Lost Cavern.

Yeah, it's kinda fun, but if this is really the only 'Diablo anniversary' thing we're getting, it's really damn lazy. Diablo himself isn't even on the splash screen for it.

Alur

Like the new brawl map way better than the old one. Like Milly said, we had some weird comps. 2 and 3 tanks, or 2 and 3 healers and stuff like that.

Still suffers from the main thing that drives me away from ARAM. Certain heroes are broken (as in way too good or way too bad) for the mode, and the randomness of the comps creates some truly unfun experiences.

Alavard

Like the new brawl map way better than the old one. Like Milly said, we had some weird comps. 2 and 3 tanks, or 2 and 3 healers and stuff like that.

Still suffers from the main thing that drives me away from ARAM. Certain heroes are broken (as in way too good or way too bad) for the mode, and the randomness of the comps creates some truly unfun experiences.

Yeah, I've played one match of it, and we lucked out that the randomness evened out - we had Abathur, but we also had Sylvanas. But it didn't have to. There's no regenerating shields at least though, right (that seemed to be the case from the one match I've done so far, and I don't remember from the last ARAM brawl)? That should at least stop the matches from dragging.

Kioshen

I agree on all accounts. She's a fun character but just annoying most of the time if she has any counter on the other side like Varian.

matmanx1

So is Sonya just bad right now? I've played her a little bit as a counterpoint to working on Tyrael (because it's fun to play a warrior who has some burst) and she's really fun but seems much squishier than Tyrael.

Is she a waste of time?

Alavard

So is Sonya just bad right now? I've played her a little bit as a counterpoint to working on Tyrael (because it's fun to play a warrior who has some burst) and she's really fun but seems much squishier than Tyrael.

Is she a waste of time?

Sonya's weird. She goes through such ups and downs. I feel like her role has been overshadowed due to power creep, and new characters vying for her 'spot' so to speak.

I'm a huge Sonya fan, but I think right now I would hesitate to use her in any situation where I have the option of taking Varian, Artanis, and maybe even Thrall and Alarak. Varian especially is just a better Sonya right now.

Having said that, I really didn't realize her winrate is so low right now, yikes.

Kioshen

Anybody got that weird bug that when you take a camp in the new brawl sometimes a dude just straight up sets red instead of all three blue ?

scoobs

I think Leap Sonya is still a viable pick against double mage comps. You can really destroy someone with Leap > AA > Spear > AA > Slam burst.

Things I say during HotS that I hope my wife doesn't hear: "If he pops through that portal, I'll tongue his ass."

Dehaka makes me talk dirty.

Stuck in MMR hell is still awful.............

Me "please don't pick gazlowe, he's not that good in the current meta"

Then I see him go off solo and get killed over and over...........

I'm so fucking sick of it, even the Overwatch community is better at lower levels even on console than HoTs.

Isaccard

Stuck in MMR hell is still awful.............

Me "please don't pick gazlowe, he's not that good in the current meta"

Then I see him go off solo and get killed over and over...........

I'm so fucking sick of it, even the Overwatch community is better at lower levels even on console than HoTs.

At your level meta picks don't matter?

Maledict

Thrall, Raynor, Diablo. Plus rehgar to follow up if you can.

I think someone tracked that if you get those first three heroes in your draft, you basically auto-win at this point. Earthquake + Hyperion + Apocalypse is simply way too strong.

patchday

Very cool there's a new Brawl. This game has been super rewarding for a super casual like myself. I usually only have time to finish the brawls during the week. I do want to start doing a little more QM (actually I meant unranked mode hero draft) tho. will keep doing ranked in Hearthstone for now tho but who knows maybe I'll get back on the ladder at some point

Still missing Medivh. Always seem like when I get 10k gold saved it goes straight to the next new hero. Medivh just looks too high skill cap too me in any case

Alur

Medivh is a fun hero in concept, but in execution it's pretty hard to get what you want out of him without being in a coordinated group. It can happen, but it's inconsistent.

Milly79

Listening to the most recent ITN and I can't believe some of the stuff they didn't know about maps. The plant icon on GoT just slays me.

Alur

I think that's fine design. The alternative is to be as OP as Tassadar.

Yeah I think it's fine, too. Just sucks a bit on the user end because there will always be some heroes that just can't be used optimally or enjoyed as much by some majority of players. I'd love to play Medivh a ton, but I'd have to either (A) force my friends to suffer through me learning him or (B) force randoms to do the same thing. It's just part of it, though, but yeah I do like him.

Listening to the most recent ITN and I can't believe some of the stuff they didn't know about maps. The plant icon on GoT just slays me.

That's what I'm talking about man. It's hilarious. Dude acts like he's the Encyclopedia Britannica but he's constantly mispronouncing stuff, or misreading it, or just flat out giving misinformation. Don't get me wrong, he does lay out some good stuff, but it's the way he does it that chafes me.

Kioshen

ITN aims at the everyday man of hots not really the esports crowd. I can agree that Kyle did up the grating factor a little bit ever since tasting master rank but it at least opened his eyes and seem to apply himself even more at the game. Sure it's not the level of dreadnaught analysis wise but they don't aim to be.

Finally plunked down the gold for Ragnaros and yep he's fun. I understand him a little bit better now what he does and should be able to play better against him now.

Alur

Cattlepillar's stoner voice plus the copious amounts of "STRONG STATEMENT..." followed by "...but I don't know" make him my least favorite THH guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom