• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need some help, the past couple of weeks this game has been running like complete garbage. Massive lag spikes every single match, clicks not responding, constant stuttering. I've excluded the game from my firewall and antivirus, lowered the graphic quality and sound, and it's still consistently unplayable.

Is there anything I'm missing? Can I change servers or anything? My roommates seem to run the game fine.

You can use Ctrl + Alt + F in match to see which server cluster you connecting to and what your ping is. Buried in the options is the ability to restrict which servers you queue for, Dota has this option in the same screen you start to search for a match in but in HotS it's in a sub-menu.

If your connection is shit no matter which server cluster you connect to, your roommates is fine, and you both use the same network, might I suggest some canned air?

Alur

So I need some help, the past couple of weeks this game has been running like complete garbage. Massive lag spikes every single match, clicks not responding, constant stuttering. I've excluded the game from my firewall and antivirus, lowered the graphic quality and sound, and it's still consistently unplayable.

Is there anything I'm missing? Can I change servers or anything? My roommates seem to run the game fine.

Also, I dunno if it still exists but there was a bug affecting performance within the sound settings. You basically had to turn them to high to low IIRC and that helped a good number of people.

Your issue may also coincide with the removal of the East Coast server and everyone over there going back to playing on ORD1, which has seen more complaints than nearly anything in this game...yet it still exists while the other does not.

Makes sense.

Milly79

I think it's because her healing with the ult is enough to keep a team in a fight long enough to get the kills and win. In a short engagement it's not noticable that she is lacking the tools, and her offensive power is so much that you win off that before the lack of big healing matters.

Oh well. Agree to disagree. Everyone has varying opinions on what to do with her, unlike for instance, Lunara.

Will be exciting to see what they do, and hopefully they don't put her underground.

You can use Ctrl + Alt + F in match to see which server cluster you connecting to and what your ping is. Buried in the options is the ability to restrict which servers you queue for, Dota has this option in the same screen you start to search for a match in but in HotS it's in a sub-menu.

If your connection is shit no matter which server cluster you connect to, your roommates is fine, and you both use the same network, might I suggest some canned air?

I'll try that out. It's a new computer so it shouldn't be a dust issue. Any idea where the sub menu is hiding? I've looked around and didn't have luck.

Also, I dunno if it still exists but there was a bug affecting performance within the sound settings. You basically had to turn them to high to low IIRC and that helped a good number of people.

Your issue may also coincide with the removal of the East Coast server and everyone over there going back to playing on ORD1, which has seen more complaints than nearly anything in this game...yet it still exists while the other does not.

Makes sense.

West Coast and I did turn the sound to low. Turned the graphics to medium too just to be safe. Stuck with wireless (as are the roommates). Silly question though, I'm sharing a wall with the bathroom, could the tile and stuff interfere with a wireless signal? Just spit balling ideas.

Maledict

Yep - she's a very fun hero with a high skill cap, the game needs more heroes like her. She just shouldn't be solo healing like she can, and the stun thing might be sorted by wider changes.

Black Kings Bar for all!

I'll try that out. It's a new computer so it shouldn't be a dust issue. Any idea where the sub menu is hiding? I've looked around and didn't have luck.

Options > Language and Region > Region.

Preferred game server is the only option there, it's defaulted to anywhere in NA. If you're on the west coast, choose US8.

Black Kings Bar for all!

"Someone stun Lili, she's ulting"

"I can't she popped BKB"

Sounds amazing.

The talent system versus items and dirt farming has its advantages and disadvantages, how to deal with or balance stuns is definitely one of the disadvantages. If they do add some sort of magic immunity to the game, who gets it? Who doesn't? They already have the answer to a BKB'd (pre-Cleansed if they make it function like a BKB) hero; Morales and Raynor or Valla with Stim Drone.

Milly79

da fuq lol, that was quick. Was wondering why they got a feeder team anyway since that's a good org.

Just says a lot of conflict between the players. Really bet they're beating themselves up over losing Bakery/Snitch, etc now.

Zafir

West Coast and I did turn the sound to low. Turned the graphics to medium too just to be safe. Stuck with wireless (as are the roommates). Silly question though, I'm sharing a wall with the bathroom, could the tile and stuff interfere with a wireless signal? Just spit balling ideas.

There used to be an issue where you needed to delete a versions folder sometimes. I haven't had to do it in a while, but you could still try that?

With the game and desktop app closed,
1.) Hit Windows+R to open the Run dialog
2.) Copy/paste the following: C:\ProgramData\
3.) Open the Blizzard Entertainment folder, and then open the Heroes of the Storm folder.
4.) Delete the Versions folder.
5.) Run the app again and allow itself to update.

There used to be an issue where you needed to delete a versions folder sometimes. I haven't had to do it in a while, but you could still try that?

With the game and desktop app closed,
1.) Hit Windows+R to open the Run dialog
2.) Copy/paste the following: C:\ProgramData\
3.) Open the Blizzard Entertainment folder, and then open the Heroes of the Storm folder.
4.) Delete the Versions folder.
5.) Run the app again and allow itself to update.

Tried this out and it outright froze when I tried out Training mode. Loaded it up again vs AI and it still same problems.

It's a bummer. At least in these cases I knew right off the bat. Now, when i'm in the last quarter of the match and it suddenly becomes unplayable, that's the worst. I'm just running in circles during team fights because my clicks aren't registering and possibly costing us the game.

I've been playing QM and randoming and I must say way more fun than choosing beforehand.

Played falstad and Epic Mount is bonkers, played KT and pyro is hilarious af. That character really champions the bond villain in oneself. Was almost verbally doing a mwahahahaha.

Well, after about three weeks my abominable love affair with Abathur is still going strong. So far it's just been through randoms, so I've gotta know: Does he get much play in the more competitive scene? Because I'm getting dangerously close to unlocking ranked matches and am really tempted to bring him in as he's still the single hero I've been able to be the most consistantly useful to my team with.

Alur

He goes through phases in competitive. Right now he's considering fairly weak in comparison to how he's been previously, sometimes he's OpieOP. If you get some time check out some videos of Fan playing Abathur for C9 leading up to the World Championship, as he's about as good as it gets.

If you pick him in HL prepare for BM, most likely. Once the opposing team can counter pick against you, you have to be a lot more picky on where/when you use Abathur.

He goes through phases in competitive. Right now he's considering fairly weak in comparison to how he's been previously, sometimes he's OpieOP. If you get some time check out some videos of Fan playing Abathur for C9 leading up to the World Championship, as he's about as good as it gets.

If you pick him in HL prepare for BM, most likely. Once the opposing team can counter pick against you, you have to be a lot more picky on where/when you use Abathur.
Thanks, definitely going to check out some some of those videos. Always afraid of just jumping into this sort of thing with a non-conventional hero but I always seem to fall in a part of the group that wants to use them. It was techies in dota, now Abathur in HoTS... Eager to see how it works out.

Alur

If you don't mind muting people or are the type who can ignore the occasional idiot/BM, I'd go for it. If you are good at the hero and enjoy it (and it works for the draft), no reason not to.

Now if you're like a 33% win rate player of Abathur, yeah I wouldn't take him into HL and potentially cost people games just because I only want to play one hero. Especially when I can do just that in QM as that's what that mode is for. Sounds like you do well with him though, so give it a shot.

EDIT: If you're here from another MOBA you've probably got a considerable leg up anyway, so I definitely wouldn't worry too much.

Alavard

Got back to playing Johanna last night for the first time in a couple months, and mmmm, felt good. Felt even better with that Abathur top hat on. Managed to go from 8 core hits behind on Towers of Doom to a full tower cap to win.

Lombax

Banned
I had a total "ah-ha!" moment with Greymane last night. I am having a lot of success with starting in human form, activating inner beast, then poking at another char in lane, then when the time is right pouncing on them with the combo meter charged.

Really the most fun I have had with a char in this game in a really long time!

Muddimar

I had a total "ah-ha!" moment with Greymane last night. I am having a lot of success with starting in human form, activating inner beast, then poking at another char in lane, then when the time is right pouncing on them with the combo meter charged.

Really the most fun I have had with a char in this game in a really long time!

I need to try this tactic. I always get tunnel vision and pounce for the kill, too quickly. I need to reserve myself a bit lol.

Ketch

Finally got to watch some heroes rising. Really surprised with the new tempo storm. Great showing vs bob Ross in the lower bracket finals.

Hato-kun

Just added my btag in the docs list. Been playing on and off since the alpha but still have heaps of trouble with matchmaking. it would be good to play with some gaffers!
Btag is Ghettomould#1184

Altairre

I'm thinking about getting Greymane, his stance switch seems like a really fun mechanic but I'm worried about playing him in QM without a support since he seems really squishy and doesn't have any sustain. Looks like you have to be super careful with him all the time especially if you're not in wolf form when you're laning since he doesn't have any escapes as a human.

Alur

I'm thinking about getting Greymane, his stance switch seems like a really fun mechanic but I'm worried about playing him in QM without a support since he seems really squishy and doesn't have any sustain. Looks like you have to be super careful with him all the time especially if you're not in wolf form when you're laning since he doesn't have any escapes as a human.

He is viable to play in human form for the majority of the time (while finishing kills in worgen). Unfortunately, you're gonna run into games where there are frew good opportunities to shift into worgen.

His human range damage is pretty respectable, but it's basically just like Lunara at that point. You can get some nice numbers, but ultimately you aren't killing much of anyone unless you can shift.

How viable is an all gank squad?

Abathur, Zeratul, Nova, Brightwing, and The Butcher.

Butcher charges in, Zeratul/Nova blink in/go-in hard, Abathur throws down the stabs/spikes from one of the cloakers and Brightwing uses her R to blink to Butcher and Polymorph the target.

gg no re kthx

Duress

Abathur, Zeratul, Nova, Brightwing, and The Butcher.

Butcher charges in, Zeratul/Nova blink in/go-in hard, Abathur throws down the stabs/spikes from one of the cloakers and Brightwing uses her R to blink to Butcher and Polymorph the target.

gg no re kthx

lol that sounds ridiculous. Too bad I'm never going to find a game like that :(

Alur

Me, Proto, and Milly played a comp that looked like this:

Stitches, Tyrande, Nova/Nazeebo. Four games, went 2-2. The most competitive four games we've had in QM in some time. We could've won all four if the matchmaker was able to find us a decent comp in each game.

The best game we had was this Cursed Hollow:

Stitches/Tyrande/Nova/Murky/Abathur (really) vs. Leoric/Tyrande/Tassadar/Nova/Nazeebo

We somehow won all but two teamfights, had 42 to kills to their 25 and had large periods of time where we could push for the win...unfortunately we had absolutely nothing to push with, and Leoric just hounded us at every opportunity.

We held them off for 42 minutes before we traded kills in a teamfight and winions killed our core behind us before we could get back.

Was a stupid game and we lost, but it was fun af.

Alur

It was last night.

I wouldn't call it something particularly viable in a HL setting, however. Stitches has to hang back too much for that and gets ripped by the other tanks (or more specifically his team does).

Very fun though.

brian!

in patches before where stitches wasnt so gutted it was great on maps like sky temple or cursed, free pick everytime

my fav c9m w/ zuna comp was a stitches nova comp they did on sky temple, it didn't work out for them tho because they played booty

Alavard

Little bit of discussion on Reddit about the next Heroes. A few people have brought up this art from when Arena mode was announced back at Blizzcon.

H864FXENNCXK1446678714560.jpg

The Hero wielding the staff in the bottom middle of the pic, and the Hero that the daggers near Rexxar's foot are thought to possibly be next.

The dagger-wielder could be Valeera, Garona, or some other Warcraft rogue.

The staff-wielder could be Diablo 3's Wizard.

Alur

in patches before where stitches wasnt so gutted it was great on maps like sky temple or cursed, free pick everytime

Haha, it's been a long ass time since there was a C9M or Stitches was strong on a patch. Like Beta or earlier, no?

I think he's in a decent spot now. The health talent at 1 really helps. And he's fun, so can't really complain I guess.

Little bit of discussion on Reddit about the next Heroes. A few people have brought up this art from when Arena mode was announced back at Blizzcon.

The Hero wielding the staff in the bottom middle of the pic, and the Hero that the daggers near Rexxar's foot are thought to possibly be next.

The dagger-wielder could be Valeera, Garona, or some other Warcraft rogue.

The staff-wielder could be Diablo 3's Wizard.

What do we have...two weeks or one week til the next hero? I would assume they'll release a video the week before with the upcoming skins for the next bit and all that, at least that's what they usually do.

and pls. Give us a rogue.

So you can be salty about not having a comp in QM to play another hero? :p huehue

Give us ranged. Fuck all these melee heroes.

Maledict

I think the staff is Kel'thuzad by the way, not the diablo 3 wizard. It's very egyptian in design, and the only character that's had that motif is Kel'thuzad - it would also fit his colours.

Diablo 3 wizard doesn't have any set or gear that resembles that pattern.

(although saying that, the magic in the staff is purple which is arcane).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom