• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Fancolors

I wish I could show this whenever a Morales is on the other team.

This+is+what+happens+when+you+don+t+kill+the+medic+_cf7d9bc110a0ec685412baee4b1a842a.jpg

Maledict

Here's the thing - that isn't the right response sometimes. If you haven't drafted a dive team, or they have superior dive, everyone focussing Morales will get get you killed. There's nothing quite so frustrating about having someone in your team rage about us not focussing morales and your team is all poke and muradin.

Alur

Seriously though, make a pool for new players or fix the mmr gains for the new players.

In some ways they are between a rock and a hard place. They basically have to start them out in the starting MMR/silver level. Putting them all together with entirely new people would teach them nothing and would be a total cesspool.

The vast majority of people they are put with really are about the same skill level as a new player. They know a little more stuff, and have preferences based on that knowledge and so forth, but by the time both players have played another 100 games they just end up more or less in the same spot.

Now the gains that take them out of that area -- say they win 4 of their first 5 games and suddenly they are in high plat/low diamond queues for a game or two -- that definitely needs to be looked at. The way the system works currently it is pretty vulnerable to have that happen anytime in the first 20-30 games with just a few wins a row provided you weren't total garbage beforehand, so it's a real concern. All that said, once this is over next Tuesday it's not really going to matter all that much unless they do something exactly like this again.

I wish I could show this whenever a Morales is on the other team.

This is actually a pretty big meme in HOTS, but not in the way you'd expect. Maledict hits on it with his post.

Just diving in and focusing Morales is not the right answer. If your damage can't safely do it, dying to try and do it is a mistake. If Morales is standing in the front line that's a different story, but usually in these scenarios it's not the case from my experience.

I think I will stick with undrafted over quickmatch now, there doesn't seem to be any benefit in doing QM, at least in undrafted you can see what the map is and chose your hero accordingly and see what they pick.

I also don't like mirrors, find it more exciting when everyone is different chars so that's another pro of undrafted.

Nothing to do with losing 6 in a row in QM mostly due to a combination of countered comps and a friend who just play's the lowest level hero for loot boxes (I can't even blame him, but I'm starting to dislike the way loot boxes are given out because of it) so he's shit at everyone, and wanting to delete the game and then winning 5 in row in undrafted on a friend's suggestion I assure you.

Here's the thing - that isn't the right response sometimes. If you haven't drafted a dive team, or they have superior dive, everyone focussing Morales will get get you killed. There's nothing quite so frustrating about having someone in your team rage about us not focussing morales and your team is all poke and muradin.
This, this, this.

- Focus Morales idiots
- Sure I'll just ask ETC and Dehaka if they'll let me walk past them

Milly79

Puke, regarding Arth.

Won't be long before he joins a bottom tier team and quits in 2 months, then looks for another team in 6 months. All these "ex/retired" pros just need to give it up. At least in NA.

brian!

The rule is pretty much make sure you have enough burst as a team for your target, whether it's medic, her heal target, or someone else. Big thing here is to not waste cooldowns, one thing medic does real well since she has no cd on her heal is stealing your cds and allowing her team to take advantage.

Obviously it's bad to all-in a well positioned medic, like if you are going for her you have to wait for displacement from your team or just be rdy (with cooldowns up) to all-in her if she steps out of line. Which happens a lot, ppl often let her get away with murder in my games, like if muradin can jump on her she's usually dead. But yeah the main thing to think about when going against medic is being cognizant of ur dmg output and her dmg mitigation and also k ow that if scatter your dmg she will prob destroy you

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
D-Va bundle is 1020 gems, I thought u guys said it was more expensive than usual on the PTR?

or is THAT more expensive than usual?

edit: nvm im an idiot, its the SKIN bundle that is 1020 >_>

D-Va bundle is 1020 gems, I thought u guys said it was more expensive than usual on the PTR?

Funny thing, if you buy Dva with gold, the skin pack alone is more expensive than the whole Dva pack.

Alur

wait for it

wait for it...

M5CdWtk.gif

got eeem

EDIT: real talk I logged into EU this morning and was gonna hit you up for a game to see how bad the ping was since you were online...but then D.Va patch dropped. Had to try her, maybe next time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shut up Alur.

just had a disgusting Valeera game (my second), ended up like 14-0. I was tryharding so much ;_;

edit: oh portraits show the actual levels now, neat.

Prelude.

In some ways they are between a rock and a hard place. They basically have to start them out in the starting MMR/silver level. Putting them all together with entirely new people would teach them nothing and would be a total cesspool.

The vast majority of people they are put with really are about the same skill level as a new player. They know a little more stuff, and have preferences based on that knowledge and so forth, but by the time both players have played another 100 games they just end up more or less in the same spot.

Now the gains that take them out of that area -- say they win 4 of their first 5 games and suddenly they are in high plat/low diamond queues for a game or two -- that definitely needs to be looked at. The way the system works currently it is pretty vulnerable to have that happen anytime in the first 20-30 games with just a few wins a row provided you weren't total garbage beforehand, so it's a real concern. All that said, once this is over next Tuesday it's not really going to matter all that much unless they do something exactly like this again.
Considering how hard they're trying to do mirror matches in QM, they could do the same for the player level at least. If you're gonna put a lv4 on my team, go and find another new player and put him in the enemy team so at least it's a little more fair.
But yeah, it'll be over soon.

Rhaknar

Bought D.Va with gems (hero only), then remembered I should have waited for the 10 loot boxes from nexus challenge. Welp.

Played one game, she certainly seems fun. Everytime the mech blew up I died right after tho, kinda reminds me of most times I use ice block, its usually just delaying the inevitable.

Her pea shooter isn't AA. So I had had to right click to use. her boost was surprisingly easy to use. Thought it might be confusing.

didn't realized i can't change direction when i use her defense matrix. so it's just awkward to back it up to absorb attacks LOL

EDIT: her pea shooter is AA. it didnt' feel like it sometimes lol

scoobs

Mewnfarez announced on twitter today that he's no longer streaming HOTS and going to be a variety streamer "for a few months."

Good riddance salt factory

dva's self destruct is interesting. the speed of it going off and the size i thought people would be able to get away easily but it works well when you have people slowing enemy down or rooting.

i used it to block people from running back to their base.

bunny hop still fun xD

Alur

Yep, that's the play with it. You put it where they want to go and force them to go where you want them to.

Mewnfarez announced on twitter today that he's no longer streaming HOTS and going to be a variety streamer "for a few months."

Agreed.

Also, wow, they did release D.Va and the patch today in EU? They've only done that a couple of times before right?

spk

Hm I tried this last night and it only showed my player camera, not the cursor. I'll try again later I guess

Yeah, it's showing the green UI element but not the actual mouse cursor. So there's no way to do this?

e- and now when I watch the replay it downloads 100mb (did not do this any other time that I've noticed, and the files are 500k on disk) and tells me it needs to disconnect from Bnet to play. When I quit the demo it just drops me back at a login screen. This game has a pretty frustrating replay experience

kirblar

Is D.Va not a warrior? I'm seeing matches with a D.Va on one side and no warrior on the other.
Is a Warrior, is not a Tank, which may be part of it. Ty/Tass are excepted from the match rule, I vaguely remember them going through the warriors and adjusting them too.

I imagine that will kill his viewership, to which he'll come back. I watched him for a long time, but I started realizing how much more I'm enjoying other streams where there's more positivity.

psyfi

Banned
How does Azmodan's E attack work? Sometimes it fires for two seconds, sometimes for twenty. What causes it to stop?

Mechazawa

I did not appreciate just how fucking slow D.Va is just from watching others play her.

Doesn't help that my first match with her was Warhead.

yay for new map rotations. got tombs. first time playing that map. partyed up with someone who was just lvl 200+ ended up pairing me with higher level people lol but their mmr was fine.

I did not appreciate just how fucking slow D.Va is just from watching others play her.

Doesn't help that my first match with her was Warhead.

idk. her speed seems fine to me. harder to escape when youre pilot dva. but then again i'm being banged by the enemies from all side.

idk what to pick for dva lvl 13 and 16.

been picking

Lvl 1 - Hit the nitrous
Lvl 4 - Fusion Generator
Lvl 7 - Dazer Zone
Lvl 10 - Bunny Hop (just because i love her hopping. lol)
Lvl 13 - Ablative Armor
Lvl 16 - GG, WP
Lvl 20 - Stop and Pop

but then again.. i should read the abilities before picking lol.

brian!

How does Azmodan's E attack work? Sometimes it fires for two seconds, sometimes for twenty. What causes it to stop?

It's a channeling spell so it can get interrupted. The e will turn off if the target goes out of range or if he gets interrupted with a stun.

Alur

For 13 Ablative is the one to pick against AA I think. The other one that increases Mech recall time but also adds 20% health is good against Chromie and the like.

For 16 it's GG, WP or the Dash. I think the Dash is probably more useful overall but I'm still rotating through both.

been picking

Lvl 1 - Hit the nitrous
Lvl 4 - Fusion Generator
Lvl 7 - Dazer Zone
Lvl 10 - Bunny Hop (just because i love her hopping. lol)
Lvl 13 - Ablative Armor
Lvl 16 - GG, WP
Lvl 20 - Stop and Pop

but then again.. i should read the abilities before picking lol.

Depends a lot if you like to stay on Pilot mode or the MEKA.

I use the expensive plating (extra MEKA health and lower CD for callking meka) on 13, the shield to save your meka feels pointless unless you like diving a lot and the Ablative armor is great against pokes

on Lv 16 I use GG, WP too, the dash talent is kind of risky if you are not used to dive and run away , pilot shield is risky and the pilot AA being able to slow down enemies is useful but risky if you are not using a Pilot build on her

i'll probably just rotate skills and sees what works for me. tbh i don't really play "tanks" but dva right now is a bit easier for me to use. actually saved a few of my team when they getting chased using her DM though.

And nothing of value was lost.

I imagine that will kill his viewership, to which he'll come back. I watched him for a long time, but I started realizing how much more I'm enjoying other streams where there's more positivity.

2.0 was the biggest and best thing that happened to him. And he immediately threw it away. He had 6k+ viewers (more than grubby concurrent) during day streams with the influx. He switched over to Dota yesterday and today and got 1/7th the amount.

With that being said, he should play what he finds fun. Switching games is a huge risk so good luck to him. I also won't miss him though.

psyfi

Banned
It's a channeling spell so it can get interrupted. The e will turn off if the target goes out of range or if he gets interrupted with a stun.
Huh, okay cool, thanks. Sometimes it seems to interrupt for no reason, but I'm probably just not paying close enough attention.

Chu is probably next :p

Although I don't think Chu would take the viewership drop by quitting hots like mewn.

scoobs

not sure why chu would quit, never hear him complaining about the game like mewn, and he has a big loyal viewerbase

I can kind of see why mewn would, because hes so fucking salty he can't stand playing cooperatively with humans because nothing is ever his fault.

Top Bottom