• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'll eat 12 lemon popcicles if doublestrike ends up being called twinstrike. Would be about as lame.

And then I'll avatar quote you.

I really don't think they'll call it twinstrike though. It doesn't invoke quite the same meaning as doublestrike.

Boken

Banned
Speed - Readiness
SwiftStrike - Initiative
Spellshield - Magic Immunity

Neutral, non fantastastical and easy to understand keywords are clearly superior
-inspire and rage are good, neutral toned and self descriptive. swiftstrike is just too.... special and fantasy. Mechanic names need to sound neutral because theyre not special instances or unique abilities. Swiftstrike sounds like a special ability.

speed just isnt descriptive enough and is a clear example of them trying to use a direct synonym of "haste", rather than trying to find a word that describes the mechanic.

hire me cryptozoic

C-Drive

WotC could have also just copied Magic straight up (including the terminology), retooled it to take advantage of the digital space, and create a new IP to go with this while maintaining Magic: The Gathering as its own paper TCG and the new IP as the "Magic of the digital world."

Yep, they could have done that, but I doubt they would have in the interests of not diluting the Magic brand, or causing consumer confusion.

Best option if they had taken that road would have been branding it Duels of the Planeswalkers Online.

Island

So this game.....

I have only played a bit of duel of the planewalkers. I used to play the Star Wars CCG back in the 90s. I have never funded a kick starter before (even with great ones that I should have) and I have a massive backlog of games. Yet this one has me wanting to go in at the $120 king level.

Am I crazy or do you guys think this is the real deal? I am not super hardcore into TCG's but I could see myself getting lost for years in this if its successful.

StMeph

So this game.....

I have only played a bit of duel of the planewalkers. I used to play the Star Wars CCG back in the 90s. I have never funded a kick starter before (even with great ones that I should have) and I have a massive backlog of games. Yet this one has me wanting to go in at the $120 king level.

Am I crazy or do you guys think this is the real deal? I am not super hardcore into TCG's but I could see myself getting lost for years in this if its successful.

It certainly can be. It's hard to tell now exactly where it will be, but this isn't Cryptozoic's first TCG, and that history helps lend them significant credibility.

That, and the Kickstarter rewards are REALLY good in terms of value, which helps spurs interest in high tiers.

But, right now, you know as much as we do about where the game will be in 5-10 years.

Shrennin

Yep, they could have done that, but I doubt they would have in the interests of not diluting the Magic brand, or causing consumer confusion.

Best option if they had taken that road would have been branding it Duels of the Planeswalkers Online.

The problem is that the TCG would eventually evolve beyond the paper card game. I just think WotC is hurting themselves by being afraid to lose something that they will lose eventually if they don't keep up-to-date. I mean, the actual Duels of the Planeswalkers was purposely not like the card game so it wouldn't conflict with the actual one. I'm just surprised that they don't see where the market is going.

So this game.....

I've been in multiple TCGs so it's always been a passion for me. However, I never supported SolForge (from the creators of another popular digital TCG but with the input of Richard Garfield - the creator of Magic) in Kickstarter even though I really wanted to. This game, though, looks like a different beast and I think it's really smart to incorporate MMO elements into it. Personally, I'm at the Grand King level so $120 doesn't seem that much to me for the value that you are getting - AS LONG as that $120 won't hurt you financially.

Speaking of SolForge - I really, really hate the idea of getting any card you want for free through playing the game itself BUT those specific cards aren't tradeable unless you got them from the booster packs. I much prefer the way Hex is separating the cards by the game and all the cards in the game are ultimately tradeable.

Proven

Sliver of the Immortal Spear
2-cost Artifact

Power 1: Exhaust and pay 0 life, create a new copy of this card and shuffle it into your deck. Then increase the life cost for this ability by 1.

Power 2: Exhaust five Slivers of the Immortal Spear that you control to deal 5,000 damage to your opponent. lol.

Card previews:
TrialOfFaith_Gear_Web.png

which can make:

The other card is Sword Trainer, which we've already seen during the Hex stream when they showed off the Ruby/Diamond Human-Inspire deck.

SwordTrainer_Gear_Web.jpg

Noreturn

Less than 1,000 away from our last goal!! Next update should be interesting. Glad to see the amount of backers has picked up.

dailybackers.png

Hope they can keep the momentum going to the end.

Minsc

Gold Member
2-cost Artifact

Power 1: Exhaust and pay 0 life, create a new copy of this card and shuffle it into your deck. Then increase the life cost for this ability by 1.

Power 2: Exhaust five Slivers of the Immortal Spear that you control to deal 5,000 damage to your opponent. lol.

You laugh now, but wait for the dungeon boss with 20,000 life. :p

Shinjica

2-cost Artifact

Card previews:
TrialOfFaith_Gear_Web.png

which can make:

The other card is Sword Trainer, which we've already seen during the Hex stream when they showed off the Ruby/Diamond Human-Inspire deck.

SwordTrainer_Gear_Web.jpg

I really like trial of faith. I'll built a deck around that one

Boken

Banned
I feel like the language really could be cleaned up

"void all other cards"?

What does void even mean?
is it being "discarded"? or is it going away forever?

Mechanics need to be descriptive - if its the latter, as void suggest why not, "put into the void" or "put all other cards into the void"

if it means discard, just use discard, thats universal language, not magic exclusive

Shrennin

I feel like the language really could be cleaned up

"void all other cards"?

What does void even mean?
is it being "discarded"? or is it going away forever?

Mechanics need to be descriptive - if its the latter, as void suggest why not, "put into the void" or "put all other cards into the void"

if it means discard, just use discard, thats universal language, not magic exclusive

Void is the Hex term for exile.

Also, with PayPal, the final stretch goal has been reached!

Boken

Banned
Void is the Hex term for exile.

Also, with PayPal, the final stretch goal has been reached!

So basically "remove from the game"

Magic has already replaced exile with RFTG to clean up its language.

Void, not only isnt self descriptive, but is also vague. It can also be interpreted as discard, since void itself means empty or no effect.

Exile actually describes RFTG better in that sense, since its a severe form of removal.

Shrennin

So basically "remove from the game"

Magic has already replaced exile with RFTG to clean up its language.

Void, not only isnt self descriptive, but is also vague. It can also be interpreted as discard, since void itself means empty or no effect.

Exile actually describes RFTG better in that sense, since its a severe form of removal.

CZE did mention that they don't have to have extremely clear terms precisely because it's a digital game. Technically, voided cards are not removed from the game mechanically - they enter "The Void" and most likely won't return outside a few cards. It's essentially the same, but it brings up the possibility of cards returning more often than exiled cards normally would.

Looking at this more, I'm a bit dissapointed in how much its ripping off Magic. I mean, even the colors are the same (ok, they made black into purple). Not only are the colors the same but they have the same ideals, blue is all about sorceries/instants and drawing cards, red is direct damage etc. I'm still interested in the game and obviously they are doing things that Magic can't but still.

Ryuukan

Looking at this more, I'm a bit dissapointed in how much its ripping off Magic. I mean, even the colors are the same (ok, they made black into purple). Not only are the colors the same but they have the same ideals, blue is all about sorceries/instants and drawing cards, red is direct damage etc. I'm still interested in the game and obviously they are doing things that Magic can't but still.

I would much rather play a true digital TCG that cribs magic hard (and well) than lament over not having the option to.

Mugaaz

I dont think its exaggeration to say that every non digital only mechanic they have is lifted from Magic.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I didn't even know until after I threw into this that one of my friends already had at guild leader tier, so I'm getting 30 boosters. Awww yisssss

I dont think its exaggeration to say that every non digital only mechanic they have is lifted from Magic.

Hero Abilities? (I believe they are from WoW?)

Also, the ressource mechanic is originally based on Magics lands, but slightly improved so it is (a little) less likely to screw you over.

Yaari

That's going to be a very difficult one. Mostly because the high $$$ options are getting less interesting.

I'll do some extra pledge on the last day. I want to see if I can grab something nice first. If not, then probably an extra King. I figure if I'm going to be playing the game I might aswell get those boosters that I would have bought anyway.

Izayoi

Banned
It won't be difficult at all, we're guaranteed to hit the first extended goal no matter what.

We haven't hit the "final three days" Kickstarter rush yet, and there is the possibility of them adding additional tiers/add-ons as well.

Depending on how high the follow-up goals are, though, it's quite possible we won't hit them. If they're 300k additional each there's a good chance we won't hit the second one, and definitely not the third one.

So we'll see.

biocat

Doesn't anyone worry that they are going to alienate new users by creating a small army of over-powered backers?

Arveene

Neo Member
Doesn't anyone worry that they are going to alienate new users by creating a small army of over-powered backers?

How so? In PvP, we'll start with some more boosters so we might get a headstart on constructed because we have more cards. A non backer who jumps in late and easily fix that by buying a bunch of boosters. There's always drafting if you don't have the funds for constructed. That's how it has always worked in most card games. If you have the skill and the money, you'd be able to make most of the decks from the current meta to play and practice against. Giving you the best chances at a high finish.

No one really knows what PvE is going to be like, so we'll have to see when that comes out.

Izayoi

Banned
Everything on PvP side is ranked, which means that people of equal skill/ability will always be matched up against each other. The Kickstarter backers will likely ascend to a higher rank faster, but that's fine, because they'll all be playing against each other, and not just stomping free players 24/7.

Keep in mind this will only be in constructed, which not everyone plays. Anyone can jump right into drafts and be on equal footing no matter how much money someone donated during Kickstarter. Any advantage the Kickstarter players have will go away very quickly, because for set 3 and beyond, nobody except for Producers get cards when they release.

Boken

Banned
CZE did mention that they don't have to have extremely clear terms precisely because it's a digital game. Technically, voided cards are not removed from the game mechanically - they enter "The Void" and most likely won't return outside a few cards. It's essentially the same, but it brings up the possibility of cards returning more often than exiled cards normally would.

I understand the argument that less self defining precision is required because users can just look everything up, but I also think thats lazy design because it makes it harder for new players to learn.

Yeah, I'm not asking for them to replace it with "remove from the game" - im suggesting that the language be changed to "put into the void" since the action implies what is happening mechanically. Voiding a card just sounds like poor english and really doesnt mean anything immediately in a game sense.

That's going to be a very difficult one. Mostly because the high $$$ options are getting less interesting.

I'll do some extra pledge on the last day. I want to see if I can grab something nice first. If not, then probably an extra King. I figure if I'm going to be playing the game I might aswell get those boosters that I would have bought anyway.

I think, by the end, this will get over 2m. Next goal will likely be 2.2m though.

Arveene

Neo Member
So when the kickstarter hits 1.8m, does anyone want to speculate when Alpha may become available? :D

I'm really hoping for June. They have a working client and we've seen videos of when devs visit some place for an interview they can connect to their servers to play against someone at the office.

Shrennin

We will easily hit 1.8m. It's the ones after it that I'm not so sure about.

Yeah, I think so too. What I really want to know, seeing as how this extended stretch goal is so good (alpha, new book), is what the next one will be.

No, simply because there is no real power shift given to backers on the PVP side of things. PVP is the only time players will fight players (hence PVP! =P) and PVE is mainly a singleplayer and cooperative experience so any power shift given there won't matter. The thing that backers may get out of this is huge value with the kickstarter exclusive PVE cards and the PVP alternate art cards (notice that there is no exclusive PVP card being given to any backer).

So when the kickstarter hits 1.8m, does anyone want to speculate when Alpha may become available? :D

After the Kickstarter ends!

Kinda joking

I do think the alpha will be in very tight waves (weekend waves) so the actual playtime for the alpha is something that I think won't be very much.

I understand the argument that less self defining precision is required because users can just look everything up, but I also think thats lazy design because it makes it harder for new players to learn.

Yeah, I'm not asking for them to replace it with "remove from the game" - im suggesting that the language be changed to "put into the void" since the action implies what is happening mechanically. Voiding a card just sounds like poor english and really doesnt mean anything immediately in a game sense.

I actually agree with you. I was just stating their own reasoning (because their AI acts as the judge so precise wording isn't needed like on a physical card where cheating and such is possible). Since you seem to really understand how wording on cards should be, I suggest that you make a topic on the official forums and make possible suggestions or even just your critiques - that way it at least gets known to CZE. Unless you don't care that much, that is haha

Izayoi

Banned
Well, we've got about three months before the beta starts. So, given that, I wouldn't be surprised to see the alpha sometime in June. If not June, it will without question be available in July.

They already have a working alpha ("pre-alpha" according to them, but it looks a little further along than that) so I can't imagine that there's too much stopping them from putting it out within a few weeks.

Yeah, I think so too. What I really want to know, seeing as how this extended stretch goal is so good (alpha, new book), is what the next one will be.
Cory said he wanted to focus on getting it in player's hands sooner with these goals, so maybe they want to bring the beta launch closer? It's a thought.

Poetic

Really thinking about jumping in on this. It's very similar to MTG which I've played for many many years. What's the best value right now? I really just want the starters, 150 boosters and that Lotus Garden thing. King tier?

Also, all the special cards we get. Are they bound to our accounts or would we be able to trade/sell them?

Shinjica

Really thinking about jumping in on this. It's very similar to MTG which I've played for many many years. What's the best value right now? I really just want the starters, 150 boosters and that Lotus Garden thing. King tier?

Also, all the special cards we get. Are they bound to our accounts or would we be able to trade/sell them?

king tier is good but if you want more, Dungeon crawler or Collector are your best choice.

All the card and pack are tradable but you cannot trade mercenaries.

Poetic

king tier is good but if you want more, Dungeon crawler or Collector are your best choice.

All the card and pack are tradable but you cannot trade mercenaries.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to research a bit, not sure what mercenaries are. Might be tempted to double king if they stack. Lots of packs for drafting.

Yaari

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to research a bit, not sure what mercenaries are. Might be tempted to double king if they stack. Lots of packs for drafting.

Mercenaries are for PvE I think. Tbh, if you are willing to go to 250$ then I'd get one of those 250$ Tiers. You will still get those 150 boosters from King, and free drafts for a year.

King is definitely good but only if 120$ is your limit.

Minsc

Gold Member
There's only about 500 of the 1000 Dungeon Crawler slots left, figure there should be a pretty big spike when that gets closer to 200-300, as it's the most popular of the remaining $250 tiers and will definitely sell out. Raid Leader and Guild Master no one really seems to be interested in, and I don't know if Collector will sell out but it's a little popular at least. If the Dungeon Crawler does sell out they could probably open up more slots for it a bit easier than with the Pro Player tier.

Top Bottom