• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Yaari

There's only about 500 of the 1000 Dungeon Crawler slots left, figure there should be a pretty big spike when that gets closer to 200-300, as it's the most popular of the remaining $250 tiers and will definitely sell out. Raid Leader and Guild Master no one really seems to be interested in, and I don't know if Collector will sell out but it's a little popular at least. If the Dungeon Crawler does sell out they could probably open up more slots for it a bit easier than with the Pro Player tier.

They already made some statement regarding extra slots, or even new Tiers, saying that they would not be doing that.

Hey everyone. I see people have some very strong opinions about the Kickstarter campaign. I just wanted to reiterate that we will not be increasing the quantity on Pro Player or Grand King tiers. The people who backed at those levels backed with the expectation that they would be limited, and we will honor that. Just like we won't increase the quantity on the Dungeon Crawler tiers if they should sell out. That's the unfortunate nature of limited items, but there are multiple options available to you that are still an incredible value should you want to be a HEX backer. You're free to continue discussing this civilly with each other, but that's our official position.

That's from their Kickstarter page.

So for anyone considering picking one of those up, better decide quickly!

Edit:

Like one free draft a week? Is that what it is?

Yeah. And it takes 3 boosters and 1$ to enter, so you already save 52$ just by entering once a week.

Poetic

Where does it say the other $250 ones get a free draft per week? I only saw that for the pro one which I would have bought for sure.

shiv_

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I searched through the thread and skimmed through the site and I couldn't find any answers..

Anyone know if you can mix colors for your deck? In the game play video on their site it seemed like there wasn't a second main phase, which seems silly :D.

I think it's interesting that some of these rewards for the high end tiers offer basically thousands of cards.... if the game is going to launch with 350 cards in it, how many reprints do they think people will want?

Or are they actually just vouchers that can be turned in for free starters/boosters whenever you want to redeem them?

Ryuukan

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I searched through the thread and skimmed through the site and I couldn't find any answers..

Anyone know if you can mix colors for your deck? In the game play video on their site it seemed like there wasn't a second main phase, which seems silly :D.

I think it's interesting that some of these rewards for the high end tiers offer basically thousands of cards.... if the game is going to launch with 350 cards in it, how many reprints do they think people will want?

Or are they actually just vouchers that can be turned in for free starters/boosters whenever you want to redeem them?

You can have multicolor decks.

The packs you get are Set 1 but you can trade them off/use for drafts.

shiv_

You can have multicolor decks.

The packs you get are Set 1 but you can trade them off/use for drafts.

Thanks Ryuukan... good point about the drafts... forgot about that. I just clicked through that how to play video again, and it seems like you do have a second main phase... the guys in the video just kept spending their mana before combat. This makes me much more excited to give this game a shot!

It's interesting that the stretch goals for the most part are just increasing the rewards that you get for each tier, rather than adding more content to the game... I think that's probably for the best though since there's only so much functionality you can add at one time to a 'math based' game before the balance gets all out of whack. Especially in the beginning phases, it would suck to be locked into some kind of permanent decision that will forever hamper the play style of the game.

Either way, this looks fun... sockets on cards is a great idea :D

Poetic

Damn I wish I saw this earlier, would have loved to get in on the pro tier. I'm going to research today and decide which tier I want. King at the very least. Maybe one of the $250s. Gotta read about PVE vs. PVP.

Shinjica

Thanks Ryuukan... good point about the drafts... forgot about that. I just clicked through that how to play video again, and it seems like you do have a second main phase... the guys in the video just kept spending their mana before combat. This makes me much more excited to give this game a shot!

It's interesting that the stretch goals for the most part are just increasing the rewards that you get for each tier, rather than adding more content to the game... I think that's probably for the best though since there's only so much functionality you can add at one time to a 'math based' game before the balance gets all out of whack. Especially in the beginning phases, it would suck to be locked into some kind of permanent decision that will forever hamper the play style of the game.

Either way, this looks fun... sockets on cards is a great idea :D

They dont want to add too much feature to let the game come out fast as possible

C-Drive

I'm really hoping the game eventually let's users "code" new casual formats using some sort of simple GUI interface. Just off the top of my head, but it can definitely go deeper:

• Number of cards per deck
  • singletons/2-of/4-of/unlimited/rarity deck restrictions
  • life totals
  • how mana/threshold is handled (also whether or not you start with X amount of each color as well)
  • custom ban lists
  • custom win conditions

One of the best things about Magic is the fact it can easily be modified into a different format, and I'd love to see them push HEX as having that capability too. With the digital benefits, you could see casual formats with a lot more dedicated communities. Of course, you'll still see formats appear, with rules made outside the game and expected to be withheld in the game, but it would work so much better with the game enforcing the format.

Not sure how exactly you'd control the distribution of the "unofficial" formats, though, and share them with other players. Possibly limit it to within guilds so you don't have a glut of broken formats floating around. I'd hate to see that, as interguild tournaments and casual random games would suffer. I'll just leave that problem to someone else's solution.

Boken

Banned
I actually agree with you. I was just stating their own reasoning (because their AI acts as the judge so precise wording isn't needed like on a physical card where cheating and such is possible). Since you seem to really understand how wording on cards should be, I suggest that you make a topic on the official forums and make possible suggestions or even just your critiques - that way it at least gets known to CZE. Unless you don't care that much, that is haha

I probably should, huh?

I was reading more game mechanics and some are worded or named so poorly

threshold? It should just be redefined as magic levesl. You need two levels of wild magic in order to cast a 2 rank wild spell (2 threshold currently). this reading just makes more sense

I feel like cryptozoic has tried to make their words as unique as possible to distance themselves from the fact the game is mechanically MTG. It comes off as needless obfuscation though, as things should just make immediate sense.

also, their systems seem TOO much like magic, with small modifications. I dont think im fully on board for PvP right now, I dont see why I should play this over MTGO. Might just check out the PVE and see if the PvP scene develops.

Ryuukan

There's only about 500 of the 1000 Dungeon Crawler slots left, figure there should be a pretty big spike when that gets closer to 200-300, as it's the most popular of the remaining $250 tiers and will definitely sell out. Raid Leader and Guild Master no one really seems to be interested in, and I don't know if Collector will sell out but it's a little popular at least. If the Dungeon Crawler does sell out they could probably open up more slots for it a bit easier than with the Pro Player tier.

imo, they should combine the guild and raid leader tiers into one

kodt

Banned
Didn't read the whole thread, but I won't spend money buying digital cards if I cannot resell them.

I was alright dropping money on MtG because you could always resell your cards. Craigslist, ebay, in person, to a shop, lots of options.

Shinjica

Didn't read the whole thread, but I won't spend money buying digital cards if I cannot resell them.

I was alright dropping money on MtG because you could always resell your cards. Craigslist, ebay, in person, to a shop, lots of options.

You can resell card

Minsc

Gold Member
You can resell card

There's no cashing out though, right? Like after you accumulated the 1000 or so booster packs and cards you get from backing at a Grand King level and all the 1000s of cards from years of free drafts etc, you're stuck with 10,000s of cards you can't sell for real money?

All I can find on the Auction House is this:

Perhaps the most notable MMO element is the auction house. In HEX, there will be a ready in-game market for rare and powerful cards traded for in-game currency.

Which mentions just selling for in-game gold.

StMeph

There's no cashing out though, right? Like after you accumulated the 1000 or so booster packs and cards you get from backing at a Grand King level and all the 1000s of cards from years of free drafts etc, you're stuck with 10,000s of cards you can't sell for real money?

All I can find on the Auction House is this:

<blurb>

Which mentions just selling for in-game gold.

There won't be an in-game first-party client to sell cards for real money. I think the issue is mostly not wanting to deal with the legal issues, as well as not having to perform customer support for the kinds of scamming/fraud that would be necessary if they did have such a system.

So far the word (semi-officially) is that you can sell on the side, as through eBay, or somewhere else, and they don't care. It's not sanctioned, so if you get screwed on a deal, they're not going to do anything about it. But it's also not a bannable offense. Not sure if it's technically against ToS though.

Chris Woods

Neo Member
Hey guys!

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. I actually created a NeoGaf account as soon as the KickStarter went up, but didn't realize NeoGaf had a slower vetting process.

I'm going to try to answer all the questions that came up in this thread. If I missed one, sorry!

- Gold and Platinum is indeed tradeable

- We've already mentioned that we're going to have a 'build your own league' system, where you can determine all sorts of information about the format (such as banning cards, adjusting life totals, etc.) -- we're not guaranteeing it at launch, but it's a feature we are going to put in for sure.

- Mercs are all PvE onle, though there is a 'wild west' format, which is 'play PvE decks against other players'.

- All $250 tiers get 1 free draft a week for a year. The Pro Player tier gets that for its entire life.

- You can mix shards (Diamond, Sapphire, etc.) at will when deckbuilding.

- In our videos, we have all the priority stops turned on, which is why you see people having to click on 'Pass Priority' all the time. Most users will probably turn a significant number of those off to speed up their game.

Again, apologies if I missed anything. It's a long thread!

Chris Woods

StMeph

- In our videos, we have all the priority stops turned on, which is why you see people having to click on 'Pass Priority' all the time. Most users will probably turn a significant number of those off to speed up their game.

Welcome to GAF

Question about this part: is there going to be a fixed/formalized pass priority system for PvP? Like, always automatically pass if no action, etc.? I would imagine that some people would always leave it on if the option exists just the potential mind game of suggesting a playable answer or not; or, if they're poor sports, to quit the match but make you slowly grind it out.

Is there a fixed set of rules for the competitive PvP side?

Chris Woods

Neo Member
Welcome to GAF

Question about this part: is there going to be a fixed/formalized pass priority system for PvP? Like, always automatically pass if no action, etc.? I would imagine that some people would always leave it on if the option exists just the potential mind game of suggesting a playable answer or not; or, if they're poor sports, to quit the match but make you slowly grind it out.

Is there a fixed set of rules for the competitive PvP side?

There is a formalized pass priority system, and you can have 'pass if that would be my only response' checked, though I imagine a lot of people would leave that off because it indicates to your opponent that you don't have any cards that would respond to what they just did.

I'm not sure I understand the question 'Is there a fixed set of rules for the competitive PvP side?' -- all the standard rules of the game apply, but there aren't any special "tournament only" rules, only matching structure and pairing, etc.

Chris Woods

Ryuukan

Hey guys!

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. I actually created a NeoGaf account as soon as the KickStarter went up, but didn't realize NeoGaf had a slower vetting process.

I'm going to try to answer all the questions that came up in this thread. If I missed one, sorry!

I saw that the rewards will not come with the alpha, does that include packs too? Will there be a reset before beta?

Shinjica

Hey guys!

- Gold and Platinum is indeed tradeable

- We've already mentioned that we're going to have a 'build your own league' system, where you can determine all sorts of information about the format (such as banning cards, adjusting life totals, etc.) -- we're not guaranteeing it at launch, but it's a feature we are going to put in for sure.

- Mercs are all PvE onle, though there is a 'wild west' format, which is 'play PvE decks against other players'.

- All $250 tiers get 1 free draft a week for a year. The Pro Player tier gets that for its entire life.

- You can mix shards (Diamond, Sapphire, etc.) at will when deckbuilding.

Again, apologies if I missed anything. It's a long thread!

Chris Woods

Hi Chris, welcome to Gaf and thanks for the answer.

Can we have information about the Auction house? like what we can and what we cannot do with pack, gold, platinum etc.?
For example i think people will want to know if you can cash out your platinum.

Chris Woods

Neo Member
We haven't determined if we're going to let people cash out their platinum. This is a legal thing -- there are international money laundering laws we apparently have to comply with. I honestly don't know the specifics on it, because I'm not the legal guy. We will let people know once we do.

We won't be giving out rewards until Beta, because we will probably do a wipe after alpha. In alpha we'll probably just give people a buncha stuff and let them go nuts.

You can sell anything that is tradeable on the AH (which is almost everything, with some limitations on trial players) for gold or platinum. Gold is the "in game" currency, and can only be obtained by playing PvE or from other players. Platinum is the premium currency.

Chris Woods

Ryuukan

We haven't determined if we're going to let people cash out their platinum. This is a legal thing -- there are international money laundering laws we apparently have to comply with. I honestly don't know the specifics on it, because I'm not the legal guy. We will let people know once we do.

We won't be giving out rewards until Beta, because we will probably do a wipe after alpha. In alpha we'll probably just give people a buncha stuff and let them go nuts.

You can sell anything that is tradeable on the AH (which is almost everything, with some limitations on trial players) for gold or platinum. Gold is the "in game" currency, and can only be obtained by playing PvE or from other players. Platinum is the premium currency.

Chris Woods

Thanks for the response, another question:
When is alpha

I just saw the HEX Kickstarter for the first time. As a long time Magic player, this looks appealing since it's mechanically very similar, but it includes PVE elements and it appears that it will significantly undercut MTG in terms of costs. $6 drafts vs. $15 drafts in MTGO makes a huge difference over time.

Eteric Rice

Chris Woods

Will you be able to get PVP cards through PVE? Or do you only get PVP cards through buying packs?

Chris Woods

Neo Member
We're not 100% sure on the date for alpha yet, so until we do know we don't want to say anything.

The only way to get PvP cards in through purchase of PvP packs, winning tournaments, or as KS rewards.

Chris Woods

Shinjica

Chris Woods

Thanks for your answer Chris. Really hyped for your game and see how developer interact with player is really a good thing. Keep working in this way.

Eteric Rice

We're not 100% sure on the date for alpha yet, so until we do know we don't want to say anything.

The only way to get PvP cards in through purchase of PvP packs, winning tournaments, or as KS rewards.

Chris Woods

Oh okay, cool.

How can you tell if a card is PVP or PVE?

Also, will there be sales on packs?

Minsc

Gold Member

Chris Woods

Surely you can get them through the Auction House too I'd imagine (from trading away gold or even PvE cards)?

Chris Woods

Neo Member
Yes Minsc, you are correct. I guess I mean 'the only way to get PvP cards from us." As far as other methods of acquisition (AH, people just giving them to you, etc.) I can't speak to it, but I'm fairly positive they'll show up on AH and other trading systems.

Chris Woods

Proven

I make an account and it takes me 6-9 months to get approved. He makes an account and gets approved in under a month. Either more people are getting banned or this site is going to the dogs.

Serious tone now, there was a new kickstarter update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/496623
And there was a new website update: http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points-and-question-marks/

The kickstarter update links to a preview on Joystiq as well as another podcast interview with Cory Jones, this time with the podcast Geek All Stars. No, I've never heard of them either.

What's also cool is that they link to two community made databases to track updates and card previews, and people have been using them for theorycrafting so we're all welcome to go nuts too.

Finally, the hextcg.com update clears up the difference between dungeons and raids, which I saw questioned on SomethingAwful yesterday. Basically, dungeons are multi-encounter single player affairs, while raids are single encounter multiplayer affairs. More details on the site.

Oh, and three more card previews.

One actual question for Chris Woods, I've heard that the Dungeon Crawler tier is one of the most rewarding tiers designed, but considering that the bonus is only from making your way to the boss and killing it, is it really that substantial? And then by comparison the Raid Leader tier feels kinda underwhelming, since it doesn't look like much of a reward but instead just something that makes grinding easier.

Chris Woods

Neo Member
Dungeon Crawler is best for someone who likes the equipment side of the game. (The modifiers next to cards when you look at them on our website.)

Raid Leader is nice because you will have no trouble finding people to raid with. If you are planning on just playing with friends, then is just makes defeating raids easier, but if you're playing alone being a Raid Leader makes you an auto-include in any group.

Each tier is designed to try to appeal to a particular type of player.

Chris Woods

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Hey guys!

Welcome to NeoGAF, Mr. Woods! It's really awesome how communicative your whole team has been during this Kickstarter and I truly believe Hex will be something special as a result of the commitment your team has shown to the game thus far (and I hope you and your team always has this passion). I can tell you that Hex is only the second Kickstarter I have ever backed and I'm a Grand King because I sense how serious you guys are taking this game and I can see that it's not only about the bottom line. My first Kickstarter I backed was for only $10, for the record. =P

Anyway, with that said, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to a few questions that I have so I figured I'll just ask you haha

(1) Will it be possible to join draft tournaments, limited, constructed, etc. with your friends so you can face each other in the PVP experience? I know there's a casual version of PVP, but with paper TCGs I've always had fun going to competitive tournaments and playing with my friends (we never ended up actually playing against each other, but it was always fun wondering if we eventually would get paired against one another and we always had fun seeing how much better one of us did against the other in overall ladder rankings).

(2) Are you able to talk much about guilds? Can people join more than one guild? Can there be more than one official leader and is there a detailed system that lets creators of guilds have as many options as possible to customize it to their liking? Are guilds restricted by faction?

EDIT: Had another question but didn't see the newest website update that Proven just linked to and I'm pretty sure that answers the question I had.

Also, will there be sales on packs?

I'm not speaking for Chris or CZE, but I would seriously be surprised if there were no sales on packs ever. I'm sure there will be (you could even almost say that the $4 a month subscription is an infinite sale on packs).

Shinjica

I'm not speaking for Chris or CZE, but I would seriously be surprised if there were no sales on packs ever. I'm sure there will be (you could even almost say that the $4 a month subscription is an infinite sale on packs).

If you want sales on pack, i think you can buy it from other player, much cheaper than normal price

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just dropped 120. Can't wait :)

ChronicMadness-214x300.png

Is it just me or does this seem a little OP? Not that I can complain as I play decks of that sort.

Proven

Actually, now that I think about it, I remember people telling me that deck mill was a Black strategy in Magic, not Blue. It feels like anything that might be considered stall is being linked to Sapphire and Diamond.
Dungeon Crawler is best for someone who likes the equipment side of the game. (The modifiers next to cards when you look at them on our website.)

Raid Leader is nice because you will have no trouble finding people to raid with. If you are planning on just playing with friends, then is just makes defeating raids easier, but if you're playing alone being a Raid Leader makes you an auto-include in any group.

Each tier is designed to try to appeal to a particular type of player.

Chris Woods
Hmm... are there any guaranteed drops from dungeons or raids?

Izayoi

Banned
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ChronicMadness-214x300.png[IMG]

Is it just me or does this seem a little OP? Not that I can complain as I play decks of that sort.[/QUOTE]
The problem with escalation cards in PvP right now is that we don't know how fast/slow the meta is going to be. If it's fast enough you might be able to get a couple of identical escalations off, and it looks like Blue in particular has some serious draw power, so it's possible that something like the card you linked could be useful in a milling deck.

However, if the meta ends up being slower, escalation cards could be completely useless. Not strong enough the first time you pull them, and by the time you pull them again (if you do), it's far too late for you to change the outcome of the game with them.

I guess we'll see how it plays out, and it's a great idea, but I think that escalation will have more use in PvE.

Top Bottom