• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
New update

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts

Lots of cool info and new screenshots. They're still on track for Oct 8. They say first waves in will be Producer and Grand King. I think they said Sept 31 was their internal alpha date? Probably know a lot more next week then.

Sweet! I'm in the first wave. I thought I was guaranteed to be in the second. Producers to Grand Kings are a pretty good amount of people, so that's either confidence on CZE's part with the server load or it could be a mistake. I hope it's the former.

Also, really, really warming up to the Keep idea. It's unique, makes sense, and allows for the most customization with names people want.

Sweet! I'm in the first wave. I thought I was guaranteed to be in the second. Producers to Grand Kings are a pretty good amount of people, so that's either confidence on CZE's part with the server load or it could be a mistake. I hope it's the former.

Also, really, really warming up to the Keep idea. It's unique, makes sense, and allows for the most customization with names people want.

I like the Keep idea too. Unfortunately, the official forums are kind of shitting on it.

havocau

Neo Member
I think people just want a different name for chat rooms and what not, makes sense to me but I'm not fussed too much either way.

Proven

You technically name yourself, not your keep, so I'd be "Lord Knive" or something.

So of course you'd use Knive as your chatroom name. I don't understand what's there to shit on.

I'm getting increasingly psyched for this. I played the heck out of it at the GenCon "tournament" and had a great time. The one thing that surprised me (although in retrospect I shouldn't be surprised) was the amount of... devotion???... that players had already put into it. I've been reading updates here and there, but showed up to GenCon to play and have fun.... people around me in line were already in online guilds, comparing relative deck and card strengths, critiquing people's strategies, etc, and this was back in mid August.

It was cool, but it also had me concerned, as i'm much more of a 'casual' player; I could see myself doing a few drafts a week, and having some fun with the PvE stuff, but I have zero intent to devoting multiple hours per day of my life to this thing. So yeah, i'm curious how they eventually go about appeasing the ultrahardcore without completely alienating the more casual players.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You technically name yourself, not your keep, so I'd be "Lord Knive" or something.

So of course you'd use Knive as your chatroom name. I don't understand what's there to shit on.

Nah, you name yourself "Lord Knive of Knifenberg" and "Knifenberg" will be your user name in chat. There can be various "Lord Knives" or "Lady Knive" but only one "of Kneifenberg".

It's all in the screenshots, no idea how this can be confusing ^^

Nah, you name yourself "Lord Knive of Knifenberg" and "Knifenberg" will be your user name in chat. There can be various "Lord Knives" or "Lady Knive" but only one "of Kneifenberg".

Okay, now I need to find a name that incorporates the "of" in a stupid way that's funny for 30 seconds, then I end up regretting for the rest of the life of the game.

Lord Cream of Mushroom?
Lord Box of Hammers?
Lord Of of Of?

Proven

It's all in the screenshots, no idea how this can be confusing ^^

No, no, no, look at the screenshots again. When you make your keep name you have to also state whether you, the account holder making the keep, are a Lord or Lady.

Keep-Name.jpg

So in the chatroom, I'm Lord Knive, of the Keep of Knive, with [Character Name] of Knive being my warrior.

Basically, you're not naming your Keep. Your Keep is being named after you/your account name.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, no, look at the screenshots again. When you make your keep name you have to also state whether you, the account holder making the keep, are a Lord or Lady.

Keep-Name.jpg

So in the chatroom, I'm Lord Knive, of the Keep of Knive, with [Character Name] of Knive being my warrior.

Basically, you're not naming your Keep. Your Keep is being named after you/your account name.

Nah, look at the next screens :D Guy named his Champion "Blinkman", his keep "Celindor", he's Lord of Celindor with the Character "Blinkman of Celindor" for one particular champion. The Lord/Lady Selection only defines if you as the master of the keep are a guy or a girl I guess.
Now check the next one (the screenshot from the chat window) and you clearly see his chat name is "Celindor". Also he stated there can be many Blinkmans, but only one "Blinkman of Celindor".

I assume you just give every deck (aka "champion" character of one deck) a different first name to distinguish them, but your username is definitively the keep name.

Shrennin

I like the Keep idea too. Unfortunately, the official forums are kind of shitting on it.

I think people keep thinking that the Keep name is like a building when it's actually a surname. The surname is unique and your identifier.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I think people keep thinking that the Keep name is like a building when it's actually a surname. The surname is unique and your identifier.

Just get "Targaryen" and all will be forgiven.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm getting increasingly psyched for this. I played the heck out of it at the GenCon "tournament" and had a great time. The one thing that surprised me (although in retrospect I shouldn't be surprised) was the amount of... devotion???... that players had already put into it. I've been reading updates here and there, but showed up to GenCon to play and have fun.... people around me in line were already in online guilds, comparing relative deck and card strengths, critiquing people's strategies, etc, and this was back in mid August.

It was cool, but it also had me concerned, as i'm much more of a 'casual' player; I could see myself doing a few drafts a week, and having some fun with the PvE stuff, but I have zero intent to devoting multiple hours per day of my life to this thing. So yeah, i'm curious how they eventually go about appeasing the ultrahardcore without completely alienating the more casual players.
I imagine it will be similar to magic in that regard. If you don't dedicate the time to learn every card in every set, and don't keep tabs on the latest meta, you're probably going to struggle in organized play (especially in pre-built formats).

If you're only planning on drafting and dabbling in PvE, I don't think you have to really worry about it too much. The really hardcore guys are going to be doing tournaments and the like.

Proven

Nah, look at the next screens :D Guy named his Champion "Blinkman", his keep "Celindor", he's Lord of Celindor with the Character "Blinkman of Celindor" for one particular champion. The Lord/Lady Selection only defines if you as the master of the keep are a guy or a girl I guess.
Now check the next one (the screenshot from the chat window) and you clearly see his chat name is "Celindor". Also he stated there can be many Blinkmans, but only one "Blinkman of Celindor".

I assume you just give every deck (aka "champion" character of one deck) a different first name to distinguish them, but your username is definitively the keep name.
I just can't see it that way. But it might just be because the name I would have used for both my account and for a keep is a surname. For example I can picture someone naming themselves Faren, and then having Blinkman of Faren, which could also be written as Faren's Blinkman, meaning the warrior that he owns. It doesn't take much for me to go from there and see someone name themselves David, have a Blinkman of David, which I'd just think of as saying David's Blinkman.

Raytow

After watching videos and reading, tons of reading, I'm mighty tempted to do the late backer but is 50$ someone stop me please!

Brakara

After watching videos and reading, tons of reading, I'm mighty tempted to do the late backer but is 50$ someone stop me please!

Nah, I did the same thing. The only downside I guess is that us slacker backers will be the last ones to get into the alpha/beta (God knows when).

Shrennin

They only said Grand Kings and up will be first into the alpha, havent said anything beyond that. Also, slacker pledge is still a good deal.

Cory mentioned that he'd like to get waves in between a couple of days within each other. So Producers --> Grand Kings in on October 8th then a couple days pass and the next set gets allowed in based on what CZE thinks the servers can hold. So, assuming all goes well, everyone should be in by the end of October at the very latest. However, everything probably won't go well so... >_>

Excite!

I'm $50 (CAPTAIN) vested into HEX, but not sure if I'm in the Alpha, but that's ok, I'm really busy with other games right now...If I'm in, cool, if not, I'm ok.

Excite!

I'm $50 (CAPTAIN) vested into HEX, but not sure if I'm in the Alpha, but that's ok, I'm really busy with other games right now...If I'm in, cool, if not, I'm ok.

Yeah, everyone is in the Alpha, just a matter of when. We know that Grand King -> Producer get in October 8, everyone else is a function of how well its going. In a perfect world King level (me) will hopefully get in by that Friday, but I seriously doubt it.

Izayoi

Banned
Aw shit, I'm at school all day on the 8th... At least I've got Wednesday off.

I can't believe it's only three days away!

Corsick

How many people here will be getting in tomorrow? I believe I'm at the $25 tier, and will have to wait a bit. Did they say in any updates how long the intervals will be between invites? I thought it was a couple days or so? Anyways, enjoy tomorrow for those that will be able to play, I'll watch as much as I can!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How many people here will be getting in tomorrow? I believe I'm at the $25 tier, and will have to wait a bit. Did they say in any updates how long the intervals will be between invites? I thought it was a couple days or so? Anyways, enjoy tomorrow for those that will be able to play, I'll watch as much as I can!

I probably would've gotten an email by now if I'd gotten in... My best guess is that the 250.- tiers are gonna get in next week and King the week after or so. At least I hope, I'm King and don't wanna wait more than 2 weeks lol.

Shrennin

It is grand king and up getting in first (I'm grand king :D)

I was a little...over zealous...with this KS and so I'll be joining you haha

Although I'm still happy with my pledge. I think this game is going to be special. The only reason I even pledged Grand King was because we were essentially going to be playing it mere months from the KS date (which is tomorrow).

Regardless, I'm still anxiously awaiting the alpha forums. I would have thought they would be up by now, since potential delays to the alpha would be announced there. Perhaps the October 8th date is set-in-stone and the alpha forums will be to announce future wave delays? I guess we'll see by tomorrow!

I also am not that big of a fan of constructed, but I guess this is the time to hone my skills where that is concerned.

As far as I am aware, Cory initially said that the waves would be a couple days from each other. However, that could change if the servers aren't stable enough to let in more people. It's alpha so I would hope for the worst and let the best happen if it happens. Right now I'm actually anticipating the alpha to be delayed from tomorrow. I won't believe alpha is tomorrow until I'm playing it.

EDIT:

Well, look at that - the Hex Alpha forum section is actually up. Here is the Alpha Notes thread:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27943

They've cut the download time for the patcher in half apparently, and they are just working patching issues unrelated to the streamlining (the download time).

Also, should we have another thread for Hex when the alpha launches?

Shrennin

New thread would be a good idea I think. Alpha is a good time to dump the original Kickstarter thread.

I would offer to do it, but I won't really have the time this week nor will I be available for the alpha stream (I think the thread should be created before that) or the official start of alpha tomorrow. Not that I was expected to do it, I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't offering to do it haha

is there an NDA on alpha?

Nope. Discuss and stream away. All CZE asks is that streamers and people who post impressions remind people that it is indeed alpha and not a representation of the final product - and as such there are gonna be bugs and a lot of them.

Shrennin

Man, I actually think Alpha will happen tomorrow. Crazy. Hope Kings get in by weekend, but not holding my breath.

I expect the next wave to be the $250 tiers and then Kings (and maybe even more). Of course, it could also be Producers --> Grand Kings, 2 $250 tiers, 2 $250 tiers, Kings, and then more. Producers ---> Grand Kings is actually not that many people compared to the lower tiers and the waves could be less than what it is now (I thought CZE mentioned that the first wave would, hypothetically, be a 1,000 people then the next wave might be 500 and so on and so forth but I may be wrong about that).

Tucah

you speak so well
Not gonna get into the alpha for a while ($50 tier) but I'm really excited to see more streams pop up and to eventually get my hands on it as well.

I expect the next wave to be the $250 tiers and then Kings (and maybe even more). Of course, it could also be Producers --> Grand Kings, 2 $250 tiers, 2 $250 tiers, Kings, and then more. Producers ---> Grand Kings is actually not that many people compared to the lower tiers and the waves could be less than what it is now (I thought CZE mentioned that the first wave would, hypothetically, be a 1,000 people then the next wave might be 500 and so on and so forth but I may be wrong about that).

I think the next wave will be all the 250$ tiers, otherwise you're going to piss of tiers that payed the same amount of money (ie. Letting in Pro and Guild Master first, but no the other two). That's quite a bit of people, so things would have to be going smoothly I'm sure for that to happen. But I'm with you on King's being Wave 3.

Shrennin

I think the next wave will be all the 250$ tiers, otherwise you're going to piss of tiers that payed the same amount of money (ie. Letting in Pro and Guild Master first, but no the other two). That's quite a bit of people, so things would have to be going smoothly I'm sure for that to happen. But I'm with you on King's being Wave 3.

Yeah, that's way more likely and CZE (Cory specifically) gave the initial hope that if 500 people were let in on wave one, then 1,000 people would be let in on wave 2, and maybe 5,000 on wave 3:

Cory Jones said:
My hope is we do relatively small batches the first couple of days and based on that info we throttle it as high as we can reasonably go to get everyone in as quickly as possible. As an example: if we let in 500 people day one, 1000 day two, and the server is handling it no problem, we could go 5000 day three and the rest day four, but this is all based on server performance.

update #47 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ard-game/posts

Also,

CZE said:
Our plan for releasing pledges has the Grand Kings and Producers hitting the servers first, and we'll plan our waves around how the servers handle that load and steps we need to take in order to prepare for the next wave.

update # 48 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ard-game/posts

Proven

Honestly, if the alpha came out any time in September I would have looked at it with disinterest and continued playing Wonderful 101. With it starting up tomorrow I'm starting to get excited again. Going through the summer looking into how much influence Wizards of the Coast has with Magic has made me less enthusiastic about Hex becoming all that big, but I'm still looking forward to many hours of fun.

Shrennin

Going through the summer looking into how much influence Wizards of the Coast has with Magic has made me less enthusiastic about Hex becoming all that big, but I'm still looking forward to many hours of fun.

What do you mean by this exactly? Unless something changed to make them have even more influence, I always thought Wizards of the Coast had a lot of influence in the TCG world with Magic. Hex was always the underdog, but I feel like Wizards has been making a lot of mistakes in taking advantage of the inevitable future of TCGs (digital). Again, that is unless something changed.

Shrennin

Wait, the slacker backer gets way less stuff than the kickstarter? wtf

They do get a lot less stuff - initially, the two promo cards weren't even included in the Slacker Backer pledge. Even still, for $50 you get 25 packs, alpha and beta access, two promo cards, VIP, and some other things. It's still a really good deal.

Proven

What do you mean by this exactly? Unless something changed to make them have even more influence, I always thought Wizards of the Coast had a lot of influence in the TCG world with Magic. Hex was always the underdog, but I feel like Wizards has been making a lot of mistakes in taking advantage of the inevitable future of TCGs (digital). Again, that is unless something changed.

Basically, I never realized how much power Magic had until this past summer. I always knew it was big, and that part of that was because they spent the money and restructured their set releases with the point of driving sustained success, but it never really hit me. I even went to a nerdy high school, but Magic wasn't played by all that many people and I got everyone my year and above hooked onto a different TCG. And the middle school I went to before that only cared for Yugioh and, for a short time before that, Pokemon.

I knew Friday Night Magic existed, but I also knew that hobby shops didn't exist everywhere, and that just because I knew a few stores that did it didn't mean that that many stores took part. I finally turned a serious eye to Magic and saw just how far reaching it is.

And it still irks me because while I can see the appeal in it, I can't see myself liking it all that much. Hex has me excited mostly because it's a new TCG for me since I never got into Magic, and I'm interested in how the PvE ends up in the end. I'll probably get burned out of playing against other people after a few months, but I'll get my money's worth.

Whooter

Wait, the slacker backer gets way less stuff than the kickstarter? wtf

Why should someone that donates $50 now get the same amount as someone that committed their money four months ago? I think the Slacker Backer package is fair.
I say this as someone who "slacked" and am just now getting in.

JWong

Banned
Why should someone that donates $50 now get the same amount as someone that committed their money four months ago? I think the Slacker Backer package is fair.
I say this as someone who "slacked" and am just now getting in.

But the Kickstarter isn't closed, right?

Edit: Nm, it is lol.

Top Bottom