• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Proven

Probably going to play this guy:

Gozzog_Web.png

or this guy:

Monikashin_Web.png

The other 8 are here: http://hextcg.com/pvp-champions-underworld/

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
That Shin'Hare warlock looks pretty op, I gotta say. Well, kinda. You do essentially sacrifice two troops for another troop who is a different creature type.

Proven

That Shin'Hare warlock looks pretty op, I gotta say. Well, kinda. You do essentially sacrifice two troops for another troop who is a different creature type.

Really, the issue is that although you get a fatter troop, it's still taking away some amount of board presence, and it's also getting rid of whatever abilities the two prior cards had.

Shrennin

Really, the issue is that although you get a fatter troop, it's still taking away some amount of board presence, and it's also getting rid of whatever abilities the two prior cards had.

Yeah, it's really just a good thing for two vanilla creatures but one creature is often easier to take out than two and I never play vanilla creatures, really, so maybe that card isn't as good as I thought lol

I'm still not sure which faction I want to play nor what race I want to main. Shin'Hare seem to be the most similar race to the Elf from Magic (which is what I loved playing) but I am a sucker for the good factions.

Izayoi

Banned
Keep in mind there are some other very powerful champion powers, like the one that lets you pay one life and draw a card. The Warlock is neat, but I doubt it's something that will see heavy competitive play.

Proven

After some time to mull it over, I take back what I said about losing board presence. I was thinking of it from the attacking point of view, where you lose two threats. What making an abomination is really good for is blocking.

I never thought I'd be tempted to switch factions over champion card art, but here I am...

I thought the same thing when I first looked at the page.

Shrennin

After some time to mull it over, I take back what I said about losing board presence. I was thinking of it from the attacking point of view, where you lose two threats. What making an abomination is really good for is blocking.

It can be - I mean, an abomination could only block one creature and it would be a vanilla blocker at best. It could still buy some time though, which could be very important. I think that abomination card actually does work really well with a Shin'Hare deck where you wouldn't normally have a very powerful, single card (as Shin'Hare are focused on multiplying little attackers). An abomination could certainly (or should certainly) survive card destruction cards that could normally devastate a normal growth deck.

Thinking about it some more - it really fits with a blood Shin'Hare deck as well, since that deck focuses on sacrifice.

Proven

It can be - I mean, an abomination could only block one creature and it would be a vanilla blocker at best. It could still buy some time though, which could be very important. I think that abomination card actually does work really well with a Shin'Hare deck where you wouldn't normally have a very powerful, single card (as Shin'Hare are focused on multiplying little attackers). An abomination could certainly (or should certainly) survive card destruction cards that could normally devastate a normal growth deck.

Thinking about it some more - it really fits with a blood Shin'Hare deck as well, since that deck focuses on sacrifice.

I was thinking more in the sense that most creatures you'd block with it you would kill. It wouldn't be a "chump" blocker, as I've heard Magic players use the term. This could also be used to lock up the board until your opponent can get more board presence.

I'm assuming though that you'll make at least a 5/5, though.

Shrennin

I was thinking more in the sense that most creatures you'd block with it you would kill. It wouldn't be a "chump" blocker, as I've heard Magic players use the term. This could also be used to lock up the board until your opponent can get more board presence.

I'm assuming though that you'll make at least a 5/5, though.

I don't see that working too well in constructed, but I could be wrong. I don't know, I try not to play vanilla creatures - even if they are relatively powerful.

Anyway, the newest Hex update was just released - an announcement from Cory regarding exclusive event cards is particularly interesting:

http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/

And the card previews:

http://hextcg.com/card-preview-july-12th/

As well as an announcement that the next Hex update is gonna include a date for a stream. Apparently Crypto is prepping their new streaming area, so the next stream should be awesome!

Lastly, there's going to be an interview with Cory from these guys tomorrow on Saturday at 3:00pm EST:

http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow

And this site has an interview with one of the Hex artists:

http://hexshuffle.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/artist-interview-santi-santi-ikari-casas/

I'm really excited about the exclusive live event stuff that Cryptozoic has planned. I really feel they made the right move making the exclusive cards and other gameplay stuff available in treasure chests obtained during the hours of the exclusive event to anyone BUT making the sleeves only obtainable to the actual people at the convention. Really smart compromise.

Shinjica

from the official forum

Alpha at the end of September?

I mailed Crypto on Kickstarter hoping to get an idea of when to expect beta because I need to schedule my vacation days for work soon. This is the response I got:

"We are aiming for the end of September for the release of Alpha. The Beta will follow a short time after that in which you will receive your activation code via email. Keep in mind these are estimates."

Alpha at the end of September with Beta some time after that? I was really hoping for alpha at the end of August with beta by the end of September, but I honestly can't say I'm surprised to see it later.

Shrennin

I'll be sure to play some games at their Gen Con booth in two weeks and provide all kinds of exciting impressions.

Please do. I really wanted to go to Gen Con just for this game, but alas I cannot. :(

Also, I really need to watch the twitch stream soon. Any impressions from that? I'm not able to watch it yet.

Lastly, it looks like Alpha will be at the end of September.

Proven

Checking around the internet, I found out that the wifi router or something was down for about 5 hours at the convention, so they had to rig up their own LAN to get HEX going. Also, with the rush of people all around and trying to earn tickets I expect more impressions to come out Saturday and Sunday. Of course, those are the two days I'll be too busy to read any of them.

I played three times, got enough tickets for the sleeves and the mercenary. Game is the real deal, people. Ask away.

Fuuuuck. Was it awesome? You mind writing up a small impression?

A friend and I bought a booster box of Magic last night and did some sealed play. Cannot wait to do that whenever I want with Hex.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I played three times, got enough tickets for the sleeves and the mercenary. Game is the real deal, people. Ask away.

Sweeet! A few questions:

How fast/slow was the interface? it seemed REALLY slow during all their twitch streams, so I'm hoping that got improved. Especially inbetween player phases/draw phases.

Were there any unseen cards that stood out to you? or any cards that you thought weren't that spectacular until you actually got to play them?

Were you able to use equipments/gems at all? Did they say much about that?

Did you feel like with the decks that were available, there was enough variety in terms of strategy you could employ? (e.g. fast rush, big creature, counter, milling, etc. think MtG here. :p )

Which of the three games you played was the most interesting? did anything exciting ("omg I had him lined up then he played card x and it all fell apart") happen?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these seemed like the most interesting ones that only somebody who's actually played it could answer.

Fuuuuck. Was it awesome? You mind writing up a small impression?

A friend and I bought a booster box of Magic last night and did some sealed play. Cannot wait to do that whenever I want with Hex.

I'll say this, I'm in trouble when this game comes out. Deep, deep trouble. Take the fun and basics of Magic, the more polished interface of Duels of the Planeswalkers except even cleaner and clearer (minus some bugs in the obviously alpha build), and add a layer than exists in neither of those because they are forever a slave to a game that exists in a physical medium. It's just comfortably familiar with enough new bits and the ability to play anyone at any time which are going to propel this game into the stratosphere.

You could probably get what it only existing digitally can mean watching live streams, but seeing it in person and playing it really solidifies what they're doing. Making a card in a players hand get minuses, bringing back creatures from the graveyard with stat boosts still intact...its just really great.

I only played two decks. The sapphire artifact/deck and the shin'hare/blood deck. My favorite was when I fed this mushroom thing nine of my shin'hare, making him 28/28. The artifact deck had a lot of synergy too.

There were some interface issues, and I mean bugs, like ability buttons staying up sometimes. The one thing they could do is draw more attention to cards when its your time to actually play them. I did see some people click continue instead of playing a card, because it's ore in the place of where a player is looking. I mean, the cards do glow when you can play them or activate abilities, but it could start to be a bit more pronounced for unfamiliar players.

Shrennin

I'll say this, I'm in trouble when this game comes out. Deep, deep trouble. Take the fun and basics of Magic, the more polished interface of Duels of the Planeswalkers except even cleaner and clearer (minus some bugs in the obviously alpha build), and add a layer than exists in neither of those because they are forever a slave to a game that exists in a physical medium. It's just comfortably familiar with enough new bits and the ability to play anyone at any time which are going to propel this game into the stratosphere.

You could probably get what it only existing digitally can mean watching live streams, but seeing it in person and playing it really solidifies what they're doing. Making a card in a players hand get minuses, bringing back creatures from the graveyard with stat boosts still intact...its just really great.

Yeah, this game is gonna end up being my game of choice for quite some time. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but everyone's impressions seems to be good and the lines to play the game at Gencon are apparently long (200 give or take).

gafcensus, worth investing in this game? there's a slacker backer program and i could as well dump a 50$ish there...
i've been an mtg AVID player (nothing to write home about, i just had a steady placement in our local/regional tournament), but in the end i dropped it because wotg was going arse with rotation and formats... is this game for me? it will it be souped-up mtg?

gafcensus, worth investing in this game? there's a slacker backer program and i could as well dump a 50$ish there...
i've been an mtg AVID player (nothing to write home about, i just had a steady placement in our local/regional tournament), but in the end i dropped it because wotg was going arse with rotation and formats... is this game for me? it will it be souped-up mtg?

Absolutely.

Zaventem

I know this is a late bump but wow am i excited. I love card games and something like this all pieced together that for the most part can only be done digitally makes me happy. It's weird it hasn't gotten much attention even after breaking 2 million though.

Shrennin

Anyone else have any more experiences they want to share at Gencon? We didn't have any GAFfers at the Dragon Lord dinner, did we?

Also, on the official forums, someone took a picture of a Mushwocky he or she got that eventually got 91 attack and 91 defense. Yes, that's right - Ninety-one attack and defense. That's insane.

Proven

Hardly anyone here is talking about it, and I went to Something Awful and just got a couple of impressions, but nothing deep. I don't want to touch their official forums so I guess I'll have to start checking some fansites.

Anyone else have any more experiences they want to share at Gencon? We didn't have any GAFfers at the Dragon Lord dinner, did we?

Also, on the official forums, someone took a picture of a Mushwocky he or she got that eventually got 91 attack and 91 defense. Yes, that's right - Ninety-one attack and defense. That's insane.

Wasn't at the dinner.

As for that Mushwocky, best thing is that if they were playing against the diamond deck, they still might lose. The diamond deck that was there was nuts as for as gaining health.

Shrennin

Hardly anyone here is talking about it, and I went to Something Awful and just got a couple of impressions, but nothing deep. I don't want to touch their official forums so I guess I'll have to start checking some fansites.

Hopefully this will get more popular once people get to play it, specifically on GAF. I feel like we'll at least be talking a lot more about it once we get into alpha/beta. We could be playing this game in ~6 weeks!

Wasn't at the dinner.

As for that Mushwocky, best thing is that if they were playing against the diamond deck, they still might lose. The diamond deck that was there was nuts as for as gaining health.

I heard the burn deck was the best one there, but that all the decks were pretty balanced.

I really want to know the information that Cory gave out during the dinner, assuming there wasn't an NDA associated with it. Apparently CZE is considering making guilds PVE centric with a team type system for PVP. I'm not sure I like that idea, but I'm open to hearing the idea.

That little tidbit might actually be in this interview, I have yet to listen to it but I think that's where people got it from:

http://hextcgpro.com/?p=1055

EDIT: That interview is kinda hard to hear, but I did hear some new stuff regarding the guild and teams idea. I think I actually like it because Cory mentioned that Guilds will essentially be a PVE experience with lots of people while teams will consist of 8 or 16 people that are a dedicated team for PVP. I think that's a pretty smart way to go about it in terms of serious e-sports (teams would essentially be like dedicated clans that can work together).

Shrennin

I'm just going to bump this because some new information has released and more is supposed to release on Monday at the PVE panel at DragonCon.

Anyway, this is the PVP panel that took place at DragonCon this past Friday or Saturday:

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/#prettyPhoto

Also, we have learned that alpha is gonna last several months now. It's starting at the end of September and it will likely be released in phases that won't be apart for more than a couple of days (the priority will probably be based on how much was spent and who backed Hex first but Cory didn't really confirm directly apparently).

Anyway, it looks like alpha will first let us have 4 of every card plus lots of platinum (unless the platinum has changed) and then it may go into a different testing period where we can do unlimited drafting and such. I'm not sure if that means that they'll take away the 4 of every card or not when unlimited drafting is released but I imagine they want us texting various PVP game types like constructed, limited, etc.

Staggered alpha access? It is extremely petty & small of me, but fuck that. I just know I'll be in the last wave and I'll be sad.

Not to sad about the details of alpha play though.

Shrennin

Staggered alpha access? It is extremely petty & small of me, but fuck that. I just know I'll be in the last wave and I'll be sad.

From what I can tell, the phases will be there to slowly integrate groups of players onto the servers. I see, at most, that people may have to wait a week at most before everyone is playing alpha. It also doesn't seem like alpha will be taken away from those who were in a previous phase, rather that the phases are just ways to get the servers up to par so that everyone in alpha can eventually play whenever and for however long they want.

Not to sad about the details of alpha play though.

Alpha play will be fun, no doubt about that. I may use that time to theorize possible deck strategies since all of set 1 will be available to me. Then the unlimited drafting will allow me to hone some of my drafting skills for the real game.

Hey HEXers. We're quickly coming up on the end of September, and you know what that means: Alpha! We'll have everything you need to know about alpha in next week's update, but I can share this: there's no NDA; you all can stream your games of HEX publicly. In fact, we would love it if you would! The more, the merrier, and we want this game to continue to grow.

So, big alpha announcement next week :D!

Shrennin

Yeah, I can't wait for alpha. I think initially we're going to get x4 of every card, then other features of the PVP will be integrated in phases - for instance, x4 of every card, then unlimited drafting, etc.

Any guesses on the exact date of alpha? I'm going with September 28th, myself.

Yeah I'm pretty dissappointed with the news about staggered alpha and super long delay to beta. But still excited overall.

I still think beta could release before the end of the year - I just want my rewards. I can't wait to play Hex overall (and in any form) but I want to keep my cards/rewards and that won't happen until beta. I suspect that CZE really wants beta to be super polished and probably wants most/all of the bugs out by alpha's end - beta is probably going to be a stress test on the servers and to test the PVE component of the game. The PVP component will hopefully be completely polished by alpha's end.

Top Bottom