• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Armies of Myth |OT| Fun2Play MMOTCG

Xetherion

Anyone get a Convocation 2013/2014 pack yet? I've done like 4 20-0 arena runs and I've gotten 1 2015 pack. Not sure if Dungeon Crawler rolls can land on Convocation packs, but this is pretty crappy.

That's pretty lousy luck, sorry man. Dungeon Crawler bonus loot does not include the Convocation packs though.

I thought arena was only 2015 packs. I got a 2013/2014 from a 5 win gauntlet. Not sure if I should open or sell.

Arena can drop both packs, though 2013/2014 packs have a lower drop rate than 2015.

Ryuukan

dungeon crawler definitely affects the packs

UkJirxM.png

edit: it affects Uruunaz drops too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

cvxPR9x.png

Ryuukan

People are currently super salty about Stormcoat. Keep it up ryuukan

I could empathize if these were top tier pve cards

The only value any of the pve 2015 gencon stuff has is due to the OCD of these nutcases who are mad about not having everything

Arrage

Banned
Please someone explain me what is a power shift? Playing like 5 games now and there doesn't seem to be a good internet resource to explain this mechanics. The best I got was from the hex keywords:"Shift is a keyword that power that cards can have. It means: BASIC 1-SHOT → This loses the following power and target troop you control gets this power."

The game lacks newbie training. Like the Martyr card. WTF does it mean? "Transform target troop into a Monument of the Martyr" Am I supposed to know what this is?

Also it seems that I made a huge mistake taking a swamp deck. I should have went with forest equivalent to have superior creatures and win every tutorial game by placing defensive shit.

Fishious

Please someone explain me what is a power shift? Playing like 5 games now and there doesn't seem to be a good internet resource to explain this mechanics. The best I got was from the hex keywords:"Shift is a keyword that power that cards can have. It means: BASIC 1-SHOT → This loses the following power and target troop you control gets this power."

The game lacks newbie training. Like the Martyr card. WTF does it mean? "Transform target troop into a Monument of the Martyr" Am I supposed to know what this is?

Also it seems that I made a huge mistake taking a swamp deck. I should have went with forest equivalent to have superior creatures and win every tutorial game by placing defensive shit.

Shift is new to the most recent set. It allows you to move whatever keyword or power is after it. So if something has Shift 1: Flight, you pay one resource to give Flight to another troop and the original troop loses Flight.

Most cards that transform or create another card allow you to click on the name in their text box to bring up the referenced card.

I'll agree that Hex isn't terribly newbie friendly. Having experience with other TCGs helps greatly in making the transition though I'm sure people in this thread will be happy to answer your questions.

Arrage

Banned
Shift is new to the most recent set. It allows you to move whatever keyword or power is after it. So if something has Shift 1: Flight, you pay one resource to give Flight to another troop and the original troop loses Flight.

Most cards that transform or create another card allow you to click on the name in their text box to bring up the referenced card.

I'll agree that Hex isn't terribly newbie friendly. Having experience with other TCGs helps greatly in making the transition though I'm sure people in this thread will be happy to answer your questions.

Ok, that helps. So when I shift power from one troop to another, is it only for one turn? Can the original troop still attack?

I played MTG a lot, mostly in Kamigawa and Ravnica which was like 9-8 years ago.

Are there any archetypes like Land destruction? Something like island's control countering? Swamp's re-animator?

Fishious

Ok, that helps. So when I shift power from one troop to another, is it only for one turn? Can the original troop still attack?

I played MTG a lot, mostly in Kamigawa and Ravnica which was like 9-8 years ago.

Are there any archetypes like Land destruction? Something like island's control countering? Swamp's re-animator?

If you're familiar with MTG that makes a few things easier.

For cards that have activated abilities the cost is on the left side of the arrow and the actual effect is on the right. For shift there's the keyword and a resource cost. Since the cost doesn't exhaust the card with shift or give it anything else that would prevent it from attacking, there's nothing about shift itself that will prevent it from attacking.

So you can shift a keyword or ability onto another troop, then attack with both. You can play a troop with shift, use shift to move its keyword or ability onto another troop that can attack this turn (since without speed the shift card would have to wait until next turn to attack).

Shift, like a lot of stuff in Hex, is permanent across all zones. Unless something says "until end of turn" it's usually permanent. So when you shift, that card (let's say Windbourne Disciple) permanently loses flight and the ability to shift flight. The target of its shift ability permanently gains flight. If the opponent returns the troop you gave flight to back to your hand, it will still have flight. If they kill it, it will still have flight in the graveyard. When you bring it from the graveyard back to play it will still have flight. It's permanent until the end of the current game.The only way to return a card to its original state is by using something with the keyword "revert".

There are similar resource destruction, control, and reanimator cards like in MTG, but since I'm just coming back to Hex myself I can't say if they are viable archetypes.

I got the card backs at GenCon and a few other things. Really wasn't too happy with how they were doing stuff, but also not super salty about it either.

Arveene

Neo Member
Apparently my account (and others) have been locked for "irregular activity". I'm glad I'll be getting completely screwed on prices for some of the Convocation stuff I'm still missing. If this is because of the mail bugs, I'm going to be really upset.

Arrage

Banned
So I am 30+ games in, beat the first Frost Arena tier without a single defeat and didn't get any new cards. Should I expect to get new cards any time soon (Without buying them from the auction)? If yes, will I ever get cards that aren't MTG trash-draft tier?

I thought this game wasn't supposed to be pay to win? Even EA's Battleforge was capable of giving players common cards that were comparable against charged rares.

Fishious

So I am 30+ games in, beat the first Frost Arena tier without a single defeat and didn't get any new cards. Should I expect to get new cards any time soon (Without buying them from the auction)? If yes, will I ever get cards that aren't MTG trash-draft tier?

I thought this game wasn't supposed to be pay to win? Even EA's Battleforge was capable of giving players common cards that were comparable against charged rares.

The short answer is no.

The PvE experience in Hex is still very incomplete which makes progressing without spending money very difficult. They plan to eventually add dungeons (which I believe a work in progress was teased at Gen Con) and a campaign style progression where you create and level a champion. Without these elements the new player experience is basically like being flung out of a car into a brick wall. So it's still a work in progress and hopefully it will in improve in time, but I wouldn't expect the ride to get much smoother any time soon.

Then there's the fact that Cryptozoic decided that PvP cards (which comprise the majority of your deck since there's a much smaller pool of PvE cards) shouldn't be obtainable from the game itself for gold so that player's collections maintain their value. This is more in line with a MTG, but it's different from how most F2P card games work so it's going to be off-putting for a lot of people.

Doing the Arena you'll get gold, equipment, and PvE cards. While there aren't a ton of PvE cards, they're typically stronger than their PvP counterparts. Each piece of equipment modifies a specific PvP or PvE card, usually making them much more powerful. So my suggestion for progression is run Arena a few times. Use any cards or equipment that look useful to you and sell the rest on the auction house using HexPrice as a reference. You'll probably have an easier time selling more common or trash items for gold, but you can sell rare or in demand items for platinum. Use the money you make to buy cards off the auction house. Commons are generally very cheap (and a lot of them are worthwhile) and depending on their power uncommons can be reasonable for a new player as well.

Arrage

Banned
The short answer is no.

Then there's the fact that Cryptozoic decided that PvP cards (which comprise the majority of your deck since there's a much smaller pool of PvE cards) shouldn't be obtainable from the game itself for gold so that player's collections maintain their value. This is more in line with a MTG, but it's different from how most F2P card games work so it's going to be off-putting for a lot of people.

Thank you for your information.

The block on common pvp cards tricking down to players that don't spend money is ridiculous. Fuck you, Cryptozoid, with your value. Every MTG player accumulates boxes of commons and duplicates that have no value. I had a 8KG box of cards, useless, gave a lot away to new players in the MTG club.

I was hopping for the game that has something like a free to play model, rather than adopting 20 year old MTG mode with a discount. They were funded by community and developed a pay to win model where player who invest 100$ will beat freeloaders.

My hopes were that this is a semi-fair business model where commons and uncommons were obtained without paying $. Dailies and progressions that reward players for playing X games with usable cards/boosters. Rares, legendaries, promo, foil, full art, boosters, drafts should have been items that generated income.

Was I wrong to expect a business model that is in like with today's games? Was this advertised as a "Paid deck or brick wall" during the kickstarter?

Xetherion

The block on common pvp cards tricking down to players that don't spend money is ridiculous. Fuck you, Cryptozoid, with your value. Every MTG player accumulates boxes of commons and duplicates that have no value. I had a 8KG box of cards, useless, gave a lot away to new players in the MTG club.

I was hopping for the game that has something like a free to play model, rather than adopting 20 year old MTG mode with a discount. They were funded by community and developed a pay to win model where player who invest 100$ will beat freeloaders.

My hopes were that this is a semi-fair business model where commons and uncommons were obtained without paying $. Dailies and progressions that reward players for playing X games with usable cards/boosters. Rares, legendaries, promo, foil, full art, boosters, drafts should have been items that generated income.

Was I wrong to expect a business model that is in like with today's games? Was this advertised as a "Paid deck or brick wall" during the kickstarter?

Commons are dirt cheap on the AH, it's very easy to buy them with earnings from running Arena. And there's plenty of players with huge collections that will give commons away to new players if you ask in the right places, like the hex subreddit.

But yes you were wrong to expect a free game, this was advertised as a TCG (trading card game) not a CCG (collectible card game). The difference is cards are not free so that they have value to trade. And yes if you play PVP people who spend money will beat freeloaders, Crypto made it very clear that only the PVE side of the game would be F2P.

blackflag

You are comparing offline mtg to online hex. It's more accurate to compare online Magic to Hex and in that vein....Hex is much more generous.

Arveene

Neo Member
If you can do runs of arena without many issues, you can trade gold for plat with players. It's pretty easy to find buyers. That alone should be able to get you any commons and uncommons you need. I don't think many are more than 50p. Most will be on the AH for the absolute minimum.

Once more PvE is out (should be next patch), you'll have a lot more ways to generate gold and then you can turn that into plat. The PvE patch should hopefully introduce more PvE cards and more ways to obtain them. That's when you'll start to see progression as a f2p player in building your collections.

The game was advertised as a TCG in the Kickstarter and most TCGs have always been super expensive to get into. I went in on the Kickstarter expecting to spend more money than I initially invested when later sets were released.

too crowded?

Not too crowded, but in previous year, you go to pick what you wanted to get. This year they had the random packs. Honestly, my friend and I could have gamed it pretty hard if we wanted, since if you played versus, you got 3 packs for a win in a 3-round game, 2 for a loss. We could have just had one person essentially not play while the other steamrolled them.

Fishious

It's worth noting that the non-premium currency, gold, that you earn from arena does have value. One of its primary uses is to "spin" chests which you receive from booster packs for rewards. This means people who buy packs for platinum will have chests, and those who spend a lot will have a lot of chests, more than they could reasonably get gold for. So people will put up cards for gold or trade platinum for gold because they need it. That said even the most efficient arena runs usually only work out to a few dollars an hour, but it's something.

You have to think of Hex like the TCG it is. The trading is a very important part. As someone else said, like MTG, there are people with tons of commons from opening boosters or draft that will give them to new players or trade for a reasonable amount. You need to be willing to trade or play the auction house to get ahead without spending a ton of time or money. And now that the auction house lets people list multiple copies of a card at once, prices for most commons and uncommons have dropped.

I've probably spent under $100 on Hex (and 70% of that was the kickstarter). The orc deck I run for arena is probably under $20 so it's really only in competitive constructed where you need to worry about players with more cash trashing you. And even then I'm pretty sure there are tournaments that players arrange that have restrictions on price or rarity to make things more equitable.

Fishious

https://twitter.com/hextcg/status/629379984499421185

second convocation event coming soon due to loot bugs

Well that's good news for me. I did a fair number of arena runs, but didn't wind up drafting during the event like I intended and was only able to buy up a few things off the AH in a panic when I realized it was ending today.

I was never looking for a full set of anything, but I'll gladly buy stuff up on the cheap when convocation comes back and sit on it until the price goes up.

Ryuukan

I made 7000p selling off all my packs and used all the arena gold to buy the 3 2013/2014 mercs

8/10 would do again

blackflag

Did the bug affect arena? I didn't hear what it was but I know personally the first day or 2 I got a lot of convocation packs from bonus loot chests and then never again after that. Not even when I flawlessed it so I quit doing it.

Ryuukan

Did the bug affect arena? I didn't hear what it was but I know personally the first day or 2 I got a lot of convocation packs from bonus loot chests and then never again after that. Not even when I flawlessed it so I quit doing it.

Yes, only arena

Arveene

Neo Member
This is retarded. I couldn't fucking log onto my account for half of it so I spent plat to pick up the rest of the stuff I couldn't farm on my other account. Now there's a second fucking event. They say they need to make good with the people who missed out, but fuck the people that spent money to get these cards. Time to spam tickets until they refund me plat.

Fishious

This is retarded. I couldn't fucking log onto my account for half of it so I spent plat to pick up the rest of the stuff I couldn't farm on my other account. Now there's a second fucking event. They say they need to make good with the people who missed out, but fuck the people that spent money to get these cards. Time to spam tickets until they refund me plat.

I seriously doubt they're going to refund you. Also, despite the fact that they've announced a second convocation event will be coming, prices for most of the convocation cards still seem to be up over what they were shortly before the event ended. You can probably sell back anything you don't want for a small profit in the next few days or you can hold onto them through the next event, then sell your spares further on down the line for significantly more.

Fishious

Decision has been reversed

bonus loot rolls awarded, no second event

That was a quick reversal. I look forward to a week from now when when they calculate my missed drops and I get no packs :)

Reading Chark's explanation on the Hex forums clarified the situation a bit. I would have been fine with either solution, but I can see how it would bug people who were buying based on the understood exclusivity (even if a second convocation would likely mean even more plat/gold for them).

blackflag

.....Guess I shouldn't have quit doing it.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
We got dungeon screenshots now. Hopefully more in the Friday update. Mercenaries are like party members in RPGs now.
Hex_Dungeon_Preview_1.jpg

Hex_Dungeon_Preview_3-1.jpg

Hex_Dungeon_Preview_2.jpg

Hex_Dungeon_Preview_4-1.jpg

Hex_Dungeon_Preview_4.jpg

Hex_Dungeon_Preview_5.jpg

and the skill tree from before if anyone hasn't seen it
CLK4dxPUAAAJAKo.jpg

Looks pretty cool. Hopefully we get it by the end of the year. Think it will be tough, considering they also need to put a new set out in that time frame too.

Started playing this more now that it has Gauntlet and more content.

Gurrry

started playing this today, its a blast! but its a little hard to wrap my head around how to get new cards and build decks. i guess the only way to really play is to buy some platinum. i really wanna draft, but unfortunately there is no free option. :(

Aselith

started playing this today, its a blast! but its a little hard to wrap my head around how to get new cards and build decks. i guess the only way to really play is to buy some platinum. i really wanna draft, but unfortunately there is no free option. :(

There never will be because it's the most popular format and they let you keep the cards you draft win or lose. If they did a draft where you could draft for free but no cards, that would eat way too much into their revenue as so many people just want to draft.

Gurrry

There never will be because it's the most popular format and they let you keep the cards you draft win or lose. If they did a draft where you could draft for free but no cards, that would eat way too much into their revenue as so many people just want to draft.

yeah that definitely makes sense. right now im just grinding out the arena for gold and items. im gonna try and use the gold from there to hit the AH and get new cards.

Aselith

yeah that definitely makes sense. right now im just grinding out the arena for gold and items. im gonna try and use the gold from there to hit the AH and get new cards.

Yeah you should be able to expand a bit that way although I'm assuming the gold card prices are atrocious.

So... Campaign delayed to early 2016... Who did not see that coming.

Is there anyone left who still plays/looks forward to this game? The goodwill of backers seems to be running out and HE aren't delivering on their promises.

I almost wish that another developer would clone this concept and delivered... The 2vs2, 3vs3, Emperors and Hunts would do wonders for this type of game. HE doesn't even talk about MULTIPLAYER modes in an MMO game, all they jap about is their pro-scene, community and streamers...

Aselith

So... Campaign delayed to early 2016... Who did not see that coming.

Is there anyone left who still plays/looks forward to this game? The goodwill of backers seems to be running out and HE aren't delivering on their promises.

I almost wish that another developer would clone this concept and delivered... The 2vs2, 3vs3, Emperors and Hunts would do wonders for this type of game. HE doesn't even talk about MULTIPLAYER modes in an MMO game, all they jap about is their pro-scene, community and streamers...

I still look forward to it for sure but I don't play much these days too much other stuff taking my time and the forward progress is too slow. I'll definitely come back once they get some more dungeon stuff going and what not.

I probably would be playing fairly regularly except they changed VIP to be something I don't want to purchase.

Xetherion

I still play because i backed high enough to have a free weekly draft for life, plus i've been seeing some decent Legendary cards go for as cheap as 15k gold on the AH so i started grinding Arena some more too. I'm still looking forward to the campaign as well.

i didn't kickstart the game, so i'm not as frustrated as the people who expected a MMO to be complete by now

but I still play for the PVP. it basically replaced Hearthstone for me

I dip back in every time a set launches...feels like forever ago the 3rd one came out. Saw that PVE got delayed, which is the least surprising thing ever. Starting to doubt this game will ever get there.

On a further note, the forums for the this game are some of the worst I've ever seen...

Aselith

i didn't kickstart the game, so i'm not as frustrated as the people who expected a MMO to be complete by now

but I still play for the PVP. it basically replaced Hearthstone for me

What do you mean "by now"? Their proposed delivery date was the end of 2013 and according to their own statements on the Kickstarter had already been in development for 2 years. The game is slowly coming together but it feels like it's going to reach Duke Nukem Forever territory before it ships.

What do you mean "by now"? Their proposed delivery date was the end of 2013 and according to their own statements on the Kickstarter had already been in development for 2 years. The game is slowly coming together but it feels like it's going to reach Duke Nukem Forever territory before it ships.

i'm really not the best person to ask about their development schedule/process

i actually don't even know what a MMOTCG is. it just sounded like something I might like playing, so I signed up in the middle of set 1 and the MTG-like PVP has found a place in my gaming

Aselith

i'm really not the best person to ask about their development schedule/process

i actually don't even know what a MMOTCG is. it just sounded like something I might like playing, so I signed up in the middle of set 1 and the MTG-like PVP has found a place in my gaming

Yeah, it's a fun game but they are way, way behind schedule. Frankly, with their pace, I'd imagine any fresh ideas they add to the game are going to be added to other TCG's and be old hat by the time they officially release :p

Top Bottom