• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Armies of Myth |OT| Fun2Play MMOTCG

Ryuukan

Servers are up

not all the items due to people for various events/kickstarter have been put in yet
will be done tomorrow

Ri'Orius

The game is just like magic and that's why i like it. MTGO is a mess and i'm not interested in giving them money when they will not improve their game

There's a lot that Magic does very well, but I feel like Magic, as essentially the first game of its kind, made some mistakes that newer games should learn from. The biggest one in my mind is the resource system.

Mana screw happens. Mana flood happens. Color screw happens. You can tweak your deck to minimize these things, but they're still going to happen. RNG is a fact of life in TCGs, but after playing games where resources are automatically increased (eg Hearthstone) or games that allow you to use any card as a resource (eg Duel Masters, WoW TCG), I don't see a good reason to stick with the more restrictive system used in Magic (and Hex).

Especially since Magic now relies so heavily on $20 fancy lands, which just seems ridiculous to me. At least it looks like for now Hex's dual lands are uncommon?

But yeah, some of the toughest choices I've made in card games were "which of these cards do I discard for a resource?" I love that system so much.

Shinjica

There's a lot that Magic does very well, but I feel like Magic, as essentially the first game of its kind, made some mistakes that newer games should learn from. The biggest one in my mind is the resource system.

Mana screw happens. Mana flood happens. Color screw happens. You can tweak your deck to minimize these things, but they're still going to happen. RNG is a fact of life in TCGs, but after playing games where resources are automatically increased (eg Hearthstone) or games that allow you to use any card as a resource (eg Duel Masters, WoW TCG), I don't see a good reason to stick with the more restrictive system used in Magic (and Hex).

Especially since Magic now relies so heavily on $20 fancy lands, which just seems ridiculous to me. At least it looks like for now Hex's dual lands are uncommon?

But yeah, some of the toughest choices I've made in card games were "which of these cards do I discard for a resource?" I love that system so much.

I agree that resource in hex is pretty much RNG because you can be flooded or screwed like in Magic. Lucky for us, in HEX has a little difference in resource (the threshold system that mitigate the mana flood/screw).

I'm pretty sure they decide to play it safe and using a system well know for resource.

I agree that resource in hex is pretty much RNG because you can be flooded or screwed like in Magic. Lucky for us, in HEX has a little difference in resource (the threshold system that mitigate the mana flood/screw).

I'm pretty sure they decide to play it safe and using a system well know for resource.

Overall, the threshold system does help with mana screw quite a bit. It also opened up some interesting design possibilities whereby they can give other cards in the game the ability to add a threshold without adding the resource that comes along with it. That means that thresholds are fundamentally 'cheaper' (not in terms of actual $ cost, but in terms of game mechanics) in Hex than resources in MTG. Have a look at the cards "Royal Herald" or "Hex Geode" to see what I mean...they can make fixing easier with cards like this, and by so doing avoid some of the frustration from mana screw.

If you go with a system like Hearthstone, you end up losing some fairly crucial aspects of gameplay because dispersing with the limited-resource system altogether has profound ripple effects. For example, because you can count on your resources always being there, you can also count on always being able to play the 10 mana bomb, so long as the game goes long enough to do so. This means that designers have to limit the power of those 10 mana bombs so that they do not have so profound an effect on the game. Without such severe effects attached to bombs, control decks tend to do worse because they don't have sure-fire ways to close out games. That is just one of many examples.

Arveene

Neo Member
i remember seeing this Kickstarter, but i was in grad school at the time and low on funds.

gonna register and give it a whirl.

i'd love an online TCG with a little depth, Hearthstone was way too shallow for me.

any tips on how to get free stuff to bolster my decks outright?

If you need anything from Set 1, list it out here with your username in-game and I'll send you free stuff. I have hundreds of each of Set 1 commons. Yes, hundreds. I have probably have enough of the uncommons as well to help you out with what you need. If anyone else needs some Set 1 commons/uncommons feel free to let me know what you need. Another suggestion for picking up cards you need would be to get a solid deck for arena. Farm gold and trade it for plat to buy stuff off the AH. Sometimes you can find good deals for cards with a gold B/O as well.

It seems like the delay for Set 3 was worth it, the client / card manager overall feel a lot faster. I remember the card manager sometimes hanging for a good 10-20 seconds when it was loading my collection.

I started off 4-0 in my first Sealed Gauntlet and promptly went 4-3 afterwards in some really close games. I'm really liking the Shift mechanic so far. It allows for some really surprising plays. Sealed / Constructed Gauntlet is something I've felt this game has needed for awhile now, especially with Hearthstone's arena mode. Being able to do a Gauntlet run a game or two at a time makes the game accessible to more people.

Unlocking of extended art is pretty neat. I've only unlocked it on my AA Cerulean Mirror Knights so far. I'm not sure what else I'll unlock, any suggestions?

I'll probably play a good amount of Set 3 in the next few weeks. Do some drafts, try out some more Gauntlet and then step back a bit. Maybe just keep up with my weekly drafts. Like everyone else, I'm pretty disappointed that most of the PvE stuff still isn't in the game. They did mention that the PvE patch will be the next one, but they've said a lot of things. If they can stay true to their word with this at least, I can see a good influx of players coming. I know most of my friends are waiting for PvE before they commit to Hex.

Overall this patch seems to add a lot to the game. All they have to do now is to nail the next patch as well and I think we'll pretty much have the game we imagined when the Kickstarter launched.

Edit: OH GOD I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT CHESTS. (and I can only open them one at a time ;_;.)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I think he was just referring to MTGO (MTG Online), which IS huge fucking mess. It was coded ages ago and sure looks and feels still like it. Hearthstone especially is the best example for user-friendlyness, MTGO is the total opposite. Hex is also much better than MTGO in terms of having a useful client. If MTGO adopted a better platform, it'd be a real difficulty for alternatives to b successful due to the sheer size of the MTG community. but it's shitty so people look elsewhere.

Proven

Glad to see that Hex is still running. Never did check how that lawsuit with Wizards was going.

Gold is useful even for those with platinum? Can anyone give me a heads up as to what they did? I probably read about it a year ago and forgot.

Edit:

Overall, the threshold system does help with mana screw quite a bit. It also opened up some interesting design possibilities whereby they can give other cards in the game the ability to add a threshold without adding the resource that comes along with it. That means that thresholds are fundamentally 'cheaper' (not in terms of actual $ cost, but in terms of game mechanics) in Hex than resources in MTG. Have a look at the cards "Royal Herald" or "Hex Geode" to see what I mean...they can make fixing easier with cards like this, and by so doing avoid some of the frustration from mana screw.

If you go with a system like Hearthstone, you end up losing some fairly crucial aspects of gameplay because dispersing with the limited-resource system altogether has profound ripple effects. For example, because you can count on your resources always being there, you can also count on always being able to play the 10 mana bomb, so long as the game goes long enough to do so. This means that designers have to limit the power of those 10 mana bombs so that they do not have so profound an effect on the game. Without such severe effects attached to bombs, control decks tend to do worse because they don't have sure-fire ways to close out games. That is just one of many examples.

I suppose it says something about me that I'm fine with all of those ripple effects.

PSqueak

Banned
Hey Hex-Gaf, you guys having any problem so far?

I nupdated during my lunch and opened a few chests and bought pack (both from the store and the auction house) but i ran into two problems:

a)I got a couple of mercenaries from my chests, but they're unselectable as my champions
b)the packs i bought from the auction house were not delivered to me, but my platinum was spent.

Anybody had any similar problems? im worried mostly about the packs.

Smiley90

Hey Hex-Gaf, you guys having any problem so far?

I nupdated during my lunch and opened a few chests and bought pack (both from the store and the auction house) but i ran into two problems:

a)I got a couple of mercenaries from my chests, but they're unselectable as my champions
b)the packs i bought from the auction house were not delivered to me, but my platinum was spent.

Anybody had any similar problems? im worried mostly about the packs.

Did you look at your messages? You have to receive them in there

Smiley90

And if you don't get it, just email support, they're good. Whenever there's an issue you get your stuff back and a free draft ticket, usually. :p

Shinjica

Glad to see that Hex is still running. Never did check how that lawsuit with Wizards was going.

Gold is useful even for those with platinum? Can anyone give me a heads up as to what they did? I probably read about it a year ago and forgot.

With gold you can trade it for platinum with other player or buy cards for the auction house using gold instead of platinum.

If i rememeber correctly the current change for player trade is 1 plat = 100 gold

Poetic

Have a ton of dust I want to sell but all the sellers have cut its value by like 40%. Guess I'll wait for the prices to normalize before I try.

Proven

With gold you can trade it for platinum with other player or buy cards for the auction house using gold instead of platinum.

If i rememeber correctly the current change for player trade is 1 plat = 100 gold

I mean, what does a player who already as platinum want with gold? What things can you buy with only it?

I might just go back and make an account anyhow. Even if I know I won't play much, I wouldn't mind being ready for when more PvE content comes out.

Did they finish putting out Guilds?

Fishious

I mean, what does a player who already as platinum want with gold? What things can you buy with only it?

I might just go back and make an account anyhow. Even if I know I won't play much, I wouldn't mind being ready for when more PvE content comes out.

Did they finish putting out Guilds?

You use gold to spin chests. If you're unaware you get a chest with each booster pack. The cost to spin depends on the chest rarity with higher rarities costing more. Rewards for spinning include regular cards, specific AA cards, booster packs, etc.

You can also spend gold to buy exclusive AA commons (which just rotated out of the store with the new set launch).

Proven

You use gold to spin chests. If you're unaware you get a chest with each booster pack. The cost to spin depends on the chest rarity with higher rarities costing more. Rewards for spinning include regular cards, specific AA cards, booster packs, etc.

You can also spend gold to buy exclusive AA commons (which just rotated out of the store with the new set launch).

Thanks, I remember reading about an article about chests a year ago, but because when they were first released you couldn't open them yet, I must have forgotten about the gold cost issue. I like Cryptozoic for this.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
noKuiKA.png

Extended art so nice :D (clicking the box on the top right or simply zooming into the card during gameplay shows the original card. So no worries about playing against an EA'd card and not knowing what it does)

and mac patcher has been fixed it seems

PSqueak

Banned
And if you don't get it, just email support, they're good. Whenever there's an issue you get your stuff back and a free draft ticket, usually. :p

The good news is i got everything i bought once i came back home.

The bad news is now i know i missed the chance for a draft ticket ;3

Fishious

Thanks, I remember reading about an article about chests a year ago, but because when they were first released you couldn't open them yet, I must have forgotten about the gold cost issue. I like Cryptozoic for this.

Just to clarify, chests have 2 functions. You can spin them and you can open them. Spinning them costs gold and has a chance for rewards, but a lot of the time you won't get anything (or you'll get extra spins, more gold, or whatever). Opening them gives equipment, PVE cards, deck sleeves, etc.

You can spin a chest and then open it. Or you can just open the chest, but lose the chance to spin. There are probably other rewards I'm leaving out since I haven't played Hex a ton and am just catching up on the changes myself. For instance chests can also give dust now (in different rarities) to create full art versions of a card as seen in dmcAxle's post.

Kyuur

noKuiKA.png

Extended art so nice :D (clicking the box on the top right or simply zooming into the card during gameplay shows the original card. So no worries about playing against an EA'd card and not knowing what it does)

and mac patcher has been fixed it seems

Looking at this, I kind of wish this was the default look for cards. It looks so nice.

Going to play for the first time in forever (not counting test server) tonight! Probably some drafting and sealed. Both formats are pure Set 3 now right?

Smiley90

Looking at this, I kind of wish this was the default look for cards. It looks so nice.

Going to play for the first time in forever (not counting test server) tonight! Probably some drafting and sealed. Both formats are pure Set 3 now right?

yeup! Then after a while probably 1-2-3, which is gonna be great

I suck at Set 3 drafting atm... Feels like it's very egg-heavy tho.

Still playing this now and then, hopefully I'll start playing it more now. Thing is my launcher seems to have just stalled applying this patch. Not sure why.

Here's a thread on their forums about patching issues.

I'm running Windows 7 and had an issue where it got stuck at 99% and had to turn UAC back on to fix it. Hopefully the link helps you fix your issue.

I might give this a shot.

EDIT: I reinstalled and that worked but now I am stuck at the Terms of Service.
EDIT2: I reinstalled again this time deleting my HEX folder before hand but now the game is patched and none of the buttons including "Play Now!" work. Guess I'll try playing a few months from now I guess :/

Arveene

Neo Member
PUT UP YA DUKES

CKs7-n2UYAA7XsF.png:large

Yancy & Murdertron BFFs

Very nice. I got boned in the VIP constructed tourney earlier. My socketed gems decided to disappear in between g1 and g2 along with a bunch of other bugs from Set 3 cards. Titania's Majesty appears to break a bunch of come into play effects. Currently 2-1 in this scheduled sealed tournament though. Wish me luck.

Poetic

Received my 4th Duke last night in the VIP with a really poor B/D deck. I won 2 gauntlet, 1 draft, 1 3-1 VIP this weekend. Started with 50 packs, sitting at 51. Not a bad weekend I must say.

I find sealed gauntlet to be really fun. I have no idea if the interest will hold up once the celebration is over. I hope though.

Arveene

Neo Member
After what started as an awful weekend in tournaments, I went 3-1 in the last two VIP sealed tournaments.

One was a R/W elf / big stuff deck. I had 3 Sylvan Performer, which pretty much gave me a huge amount of card advantage once one or two were on the table. I had a Tribal Warfare which basically won me the game multiple times. It broke some really monstrous stalemates.

The other deck was a D/W deck, it was a mix a elves and necrotic. I had a Crocosaurus which I didn't even see until round 4 and it won me both games 2-0 so I'll forgive the RNG. I also had a good amount of shift with a Deepgaze Champion. Surprisingly, Purge won me a couple of my games. That brings me to my next point.

I had multiple copies of Lullaby in both decks and they were both insanely good, especially with how much shift / prophecy was being thrown around.

After playing a ton this weekend, I've noticed a couple of things. Set 3 seems to be much slower than Set 1/2. In all of my games this weekend, I almost always was going into long games. Once I noticed this and started to build my decks gearing towards that, I did much better. Was it just the games and opponents I had or was everyone else experiencing this as well?

Champions. Cressida (ramp) is really damn good. Special mention to a Mightsinger Alyndra that actually gave me two Gigantisaurs in one game. I think the slower pace of set 3 will make her actually useful in Limited formats. Madame Anana (D/W 3 phantom) is pretty nice, especially in games where your opponent can't stop fliers. Do a nice trade and then putting out a 1/1 flyer is pretty nice. Knightsbane Ovo (D 3 Revert a troop you control) is pretty nice, you can pull off some pretty nice tricks with reverting after using stuff like Ethereal Caller. I'm sure there's plenty more tricks you'll be able to come up with in Constructed.

So far, I'm enjoying set 3 much more than set 2.

Poetic

I'm with ya, I didn't like 221 at all and barely drafted. I can see myself drafting 333 a lot.

My favorite archetype would be R/D aggro/shift with assailants and the +1 attack champ.

blackflag

So pissed right now. I was 4-0 with a really good sealed deck. Played someone and lost a close one. Waited 5 minutes, rejoied queue....played the same person and lost.

Then I play someone else, mulligan to 6, never draw a resource past my opening 2....and I've got 18 in my deck.

SALTY

At least I can sell the 2 Indigo Dreamwalkers for some good platinum.

Arveene

Neo Member
So pissed right now. I was 4-0 with a really good sealed deck. Played someone and lost a close one. Waited 5 minutes, rejoied queue....played the same person and lost.

Then I play someone else, mulligan to 6, never draw a resource past my opening 2....and I've got 18 in my deck.

SALTY

At least I can sell the 2 Indigo Dreamwalkers for some good platinum.

plz give. Seriously though, how much?

Edit: If there are any singles you need, I'd be willing to pay more in those than pure plat.

Did they make changes to how you can get cards?

I couldn't make any decks for shit because everything I need was extremely expensive or could be bought with that real money currency.

blackflag

plz give. Seriously though, how much?

Edit: If there are any singles you need, I'd be willing to pay more in those than pure plat.

Well I'm new so I was looking at creating a constructed tournament deck but it seems about the same price, maybe a little less, than creating an MTGO standard deck. So I dunno, maybe I just play limited for now.

Smiley90

Did they make changes to how you can get cards?

I couldn't make any decks for shit because everything I need was extremely expensive or could be bought with that real money currency.

You get free gold out of playing Arena, maybe do that for a while if you don't wanna spend money?

Arveene

Neo Member
Anyone get a Convocation 2013/2014 pack yet? I've done like 4 20-0 arena runs and I've gotten 1 2015 pack. Not sure if Dungeon Crawler rolls can land on Convocation packs, but this is pretty crappy.

Ryuukan

Anyone get a Convocation 2013/2014 pack yet? I've done like 4 20-0 arena runs and I've gotten 1 2015 pack. Not sure if Dungeon Crawler rolls can land on Convocation packs, but this is pretty crappy.

Only did 3 runs (arena so boring) and got 1 2015 each time, no 2014 ones

Top Bottom