• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

havocau

Neo Member
Yeh, I was thinking 28th also...

I like how the alpha is gonna last a while, gives them more time to iron out all the bugs plus the unlimited drafting is HUGE, so much time to practice and become very proficient :)

I hope there isn't a ton of content that you can only achieve/get/whatever if you're in a guild. I've never been much of a social butterfly. Hell, when I played WoW I pretty much missed everything since I rarely if ever did instances. I just went solo everywhere.

Stupid I know to join an online experience and try to keep to yourself, but...well, yeah.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeh, I was thinking 28th also...

It almost seems too obvious, so it's probably September 25th or something random like that lol

I like how the alpha is gonna last a while, gives them more time to iron out all the bugs plus the unlimited drafting is HUGE, so much time to practice and become very proficient :)

Yeah, plus the x4 of every card gives us enough time to test constructed as well. I just want to clarify that unlimited drafting likely won't be there at the start of alpha - it will be phased in eventually at a certain time up to CZE's choosing. Hopefully sooner rather than later though!

I hope there isn't a ton of content that you can only achieve/get/whatever if you're in a guild. I've never been much of a social butterfly. Hell, when I played WoW I pretty much missed everything since I rarely if ever did instances. I just went solo everywhere.

Stupid I know to join an online experience and try to keep to yourself, but...well, yeah.

The only times you may need a group is for raids. The PVP can go either way - you can have teams (assuming they are still going with this idea) or you can just do it by yourself. The guild portion is PVE based (again, assuming that's still correct) and will not really help you at all in PVP. However, dungeons and whatnot can easily be done by individual players - raids can even be done alone but it would be extremely difficult to pull off because it's focused on team fights.

havocau

Neo Member
I'd highly recommend joining a guild, the advantages are just too good, even if you keep to yourself.

For example, guild perks from kickstarter rewards and then there is a guild bank which guild members can put copies of their decks in for other guildies to try out without even needing the cards.

So if you don't have many cards, you could just play with other peoples created decks within the guild ;)

Link to my guild: http://elementary.enjin.com/

Everyone is welcome :D

KuroNeeko

I don't know, I think we may see the Alpha hit the first week of October. He mentioned that they'd do a stream of the Alpha before release and then said he'd announce the stream date at a later time.

I think we're looking at stream announcement next week, the stream the week after, and then alpha for maybe Dragon Lord and above the week after that.

They could stream on Friday and release the alpha the next day, though, no one knows. I just hope King will have access to the first round release of the Alpha.

Shrennin

I don't know, I think we may see the Alpha hit the first week of October. He mentioned that they'd do a stream of the Alpha before release and then said he'd announce the stream date at a later time.

I think we're looking at stream announcement next week, the stream the week after, and then alpha for maybe Dragon Lord and above the week after that.

They could stream on Friday and release the alpha the next day, though, no one knows. I just hope King will have access to the first round release of the Alpha.

They key phrasing about the stream and alpha is there will be a stream of the alpha we'll play in "right before we (CZE) send it to you."

I personally think the date for the stream will be announced next week (the week of September 28th would be my guess - not necessarily on September 28th) and that alpha will be open right after the stream or a couple days after the stream. However, I think that by now CZE would have a good idea about alpha being available at the end of September and so I don't think they would use the "end of September" phrasing if they didn't plan on releasing it by the end of September.

Yaari

They will have plenty of work to do, assigning all the backers to accounts and combining the ones who pledged multiple times, I guess?

Proven

So, I guess this isn't free to play, right?

Completely F2P, even more than Hearthstone. Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait a few more months for open Beta if you didn't Kickstart. Well, maybe you can go to their paypal link and use the Slack Backer option.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well, I don't think "completely," drafting will cost money and have no f2p option I believe, and the starter deck is PvE, not PvP? Or was it both?

Shrennin

Well, I don't think "completely," drafting will cost money and have no f2p option I believe, and the starter deck is PvE, not PvP? Or was it both?

Even if the starter deck was PVE only, you can earn PVP cards (or packs) by trading your PVE cards on the auction house. You can even trade for platinum to buy entry fees to draft with. I actually think it might be totally possible to play this game for absolutely free, but to access everything would be quite the time sink.

havocau

Neo Member
Basically the PVE experience is 100% free to play and don't go thinking its just some side add-on, you could argue that the amount of effort and work that has gone into the PVE far outweighs the work needed for PVP.

From what I have read and seen the PVE sounds amazing and the fact that is free is even better, however when you want to play PVP you will have to trade for PVP cards (can use auction house) or buy some booster packs.

However, if you don't mind plonking down $50 for the slacker backer, I highly recommend getting it as you get 25 boosters and a few other things but most importantly you get into the alpha :)

Shrennin

However, if you don't mind plonking down $50 for the slacker backer, I highly recommend getting it as you get 25 boosters and a few other things but most importantly you get into the alpha :)

I recommend this too. The 25 boosters alone make up the $50, you get alpha and beta access, two exclusive backer cards, and I believe 2 months of VIP access along with a couple more goodies.

kulapik

Completely F2P, even more than Hearthstone. Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait a few more months for open Beta if you didn't Kickstart. Well, maybe you can go to their paypal link and use the Slack Backer option.

:lol 50 bucks:

I can definitely wait for it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Peeps who backed with Paypal on the site directly, did you get any Email, Codes or whatever so far?

Shrennin

Please let alpha start tomorrow and let me be part of it pleaaaaaaaaase.

I'm still saying the 28th, but it would be amazing if the stream was announced for tomorrow and the alpha would be open right as soon as the stream ends. Talk about a hype effect that would have on me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm still saying the 28th, but it would be amazing if the stream was announced for tomorrow and the alpha would be open right as soon as the stream ends. Talk about a hype effect that would have on me.

I'd honestly be SO stoked. My hype has died down a bit lately due to lack of new info, it's waiting to be reignited

:(. And based on their progression of invites, I probably won't get into the final wave (or maybe one before...). I'd have to look where King Tier lies.

Wow. Pretty disappointed. Kinda...got GTAV to hold me.

October 8 is more than a week after September, and with the waves who knows when you actually get it (based on money spent or time signed up?). And it's not even down pat? And they haven't tested servers? Yikes. Far cry from getting Beta in September.

Still excited.

Wow. Pretty disappointed. Kinda...got GTAV to hold me.

October 8 is more than a week after September, and with the waves who knows when you actually get it (based on money spent or time signed up?). And it's not even down pat? And they haven't tested servers? Yikes. Far cry from getting Beta in September.

Still excited.

Game development is hard, yo. Especially stuff with server infrastructure like this.

Luigi87

I'm actually surprised deck building will be in the initial alpha release. I was honestly expecting us to be locked to pre-made decks such as their PAX decks.

Shrennin

While it is disappointing that alpha won't be until October 8th (possibly), I do respect the fact that at no point has CZE tried to rush things and let players in by their tentative deadlines. It also makes me more confident in the beta and release game's polish.

I'm actually surprised deck building will be in the initial alpha release. I was honestly expecting us to be locked to pre-made decks such as their PAX decks.

They confirmed deck building at Dragoncon, I believe - the 4x of every card. They also confirmed that alpha would unlock features in phases - for instance, free and unlimited drafting will eventually be available when it is ready.

Shrennin

What tier would you have to be at to get Alpha access?

Or do all tiers that get beta, also get alpha?

I'm fairly sure that all tiers get alpha and beta access - not sure about the very first tier (I can't remember if there was a "give $5 just because" tier and whether or not that one got alpha). However, slacker backer (the $50 pledge after the KS) gets alpha (and beta) access.

Ibuki

Banned
I'm fairly sure that all tiers get alpha and beta access - not sure about the very first tier (I can't remember if there was a "give $5 just because" tier and whether or not that one got alpha). However, slacker backer (the $50 pledge after the KS) gets alpha (and beta) access.

I backed at the $20 dollar level, so I will just wait and see. There was a $10 dollar tier as well which grants a beta invite, but doesn't mention alpha.

Shrennin

I backed at the $20 dollar level, so I will just wait and see. There was a $10 dollar tier as well which grants a beta invite, but doesn't mention alpha.

I can confirm, and you'll be happy to learn, that Squire (the $20 tier) and above all receive alpha access. The Supporter (the $10 tier) is the only tier that doesn't. The only thing you're not guaranteed of is getting into the alpha in October (although this is certainly possible). You will get in, but you'll probably be at the end of the line priority-wise based on your level (you may and probably will be in front of the slacker backers though).

The $1.8 million stretch goal included alpha access for Squire and above.

JWong

Banned
Sooo beta is ways off, isn't it?

They're more than funded, so I hope they aren't trying to keep selling Alpha access if they want to get testers.

Shrennin

Sooo beta is ways off, isn't it?

Beta is probably going to be early 2014 by the looks of it. Alpha will probably encompass the entire rest of this year. This is purely my speculation, of course.

They're more than funded, so I hope they aren't trying to keep selling Alpha access if they want to get testers.

In regards to specifically alpha? They might only let backers in (slacker backer being the only way to get into alpha now). Let's not forget that alpha originally wasn't going to be public until the 1.8 million dollar stretch goal. With that said, you can sign up for beta on the Hex website. No money required.

Beta is probably going to be early 2014 by the looks of it. Alpha will probably encompass the entire rest of this year. This is purely my speculation, of course.

In regards to specifically alpha? They might only let backers in (slacker backer being the only way to get into alpha now). Let's not forget that alpha originally wasn't going to be public until the 1.8 million dollar stretch goal. With that said, you can sign up for beta on the Hex website. No money required.

The part the blows my mind is how alpha wasn't given to us until 1.8 mil. That was when beta was quoted for September.

Shrennin

The part the blows my mind is how alpha wasn't given to us until 1.8 mil. That was when beta was quoted for September.

Alpha was originally planned to be a few weeks at best before beta. It was supposed to be a small taste of the game, but as the budget grew and CZE realized the game needed more time, I think the alpha being an extended period of time like it is now developed since CZE did promise backers that they could play the game in September. It was a great compromise. It's good that the servers will be tested in an alpha state and the beta is sure to be super polished as a result.

Alpha was originally planned to be a few weeks at best before beta. It was supposed to be a small taste of the game, but as the budget grew and CZE realized the game needed more time, I think the alpha being an extended period of time like it is now developed since CZE did promise backers that they could play the game in September. It was a great compromise. It's good that the servers will be tested in an alpha state and the beta is sure to be super polished as a result.

Yeah it's a good compromise, but I think its funny that Crypto (and a lot of fans for some reason) pretends like they're delivering the product anywhere near its originally intended time frame. Its miles off.

Shrennin

Yeah it's a good compromise, but I think its funny that Crypto (and a lot of fans for some reason) pretends like they're delivering the product anywhere near its originally intended time frame. Its miles off.

Oh, yeah. The game has definitely been delayed considerably from the original intended release dates. With that said, as long as Hex releases in 2014, I'll be content.

Minsc

Gold Member

Things get delayed all the time, no big deal. "Miles off" would be years to me, this is hardly the case.

KHarvey16

Really couldn't be more happy with the way they've handled everything so far. Sure, I'd love to get everything right now but the fact they're open about what's going on and why things are happening this way is enough for me.

Shrennin

Things get delayed all the time, no big deal. "Miles off" would be years to me, this is hardly the case.

That's also true. Especially for a Kickstarter. I think CZE garnered so much goodwill during the campaign precisely because they had already worked on it for 2 years, invested their own money into the game, and had a realistic and soon release goal based on the funds and work that already had been done. For me personally, Hex was probably the safest KS campaign that existed.

That's also true. Especially for a Kickstarter. I think CZE garnered so much goodwill during the campaign precisely because they had already worked on it for 2 years, invested their own money into the game, and had a realistic and soon release goal based on the funds and work that already had been done. For me personally, Hex was probably the safest KS campaign that existed.

I completely agree with this. Only reason I had faith enough to drop 120$ on it. Still, I guess I'm rubbed the wrong way with the Sept 30 internal deadline despite the constant promise of alpha in September.

Shrennin

I completely agree with this. Only reason I had faith enough to drop 120$ on it. Still, I guess I'm rubbed the wrong way with the Sept 30 internal deadline despite the constant promise of alpha in September.

It's not *that* big of a deal for me since it's supposed to come out October 8th. It's literally 8 days late, although I wouldn't be too surprised if it got delayed even more.

I can't wait to play the game in any capacity, but the real fun begins when we actually get to play with cards we will own (and when we get our KS rewards).

Luigi87

It's not *that* big of a deal for me since it's supposed to come out October 8th. It's literally 8 days late, although I wouldn't be too surprised if it got delayed even more.

I can't wait to play the game in any capacity, but the real fun begins when we actually get to play with cards we will own (and when we get our KS rewards).

This is how I feel.
I'm excited for the alpha, but the beta is what I really desire, but if it takes longer deliver a better product, I'm totally okay with that.
A game of this nature, where digital items are to be collected for value as well as played with, definitely want things like security and however they're coding what booster packs give us to be as good as possible.

Top Bottom