• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
yacobod said:
ya the pq on riddick is awesome, but if you are really into top notch PQ, seabiscuit is prolly one of the top live action movies when it comes to PQ, its pretty amazing

I'll have to rent it,I already sent off my rebate so im stuck with Riddick :)

Petrarca

Banned
Where the **** is the Nielsen data? this is suppose the data when PS3 lower price went into effect

I bet MS ****ing bribed Nielsen not to release data this friday

I don't think Neisen is a company that is easily bought off. At all.

I know somebody who works there (no access to the VideoScan data, though).

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/807/807121p2.html

10 The Movie
An incredible, masterful epic.
10 The Video
The cleanest, sharpest image we've seen yet.
10 The Audio
Feels as if you're in the midst of battle.
10 The Extras
Seemingly about 300 extras!
10 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
The Bottom Line
We could easily use 300 words to describe this gorgeous, benchmark HD DVD, but we'll only use three in conclusion:

Buy…It…Now…

It's IGN, it's usually worthless, but it's the first review available (I think).

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ahhh cant wait :D

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Frys Electronics B&M is doing an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray sale again. About 5 movies for $11.99 apiece including Corpse Bride, A Scanner Darkly, and Swordfish. The first two are supposed to be reference quality. Luckily, they are doing it for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray this time.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=877755

The LA times ad for today has the Frys ad. I intend to take it to Circuit City to get a price match + additional 10% off $30 DVD's. I plan to pick up at least two movies tonight.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, the HD A2......that's the one that doesn't do 1080p, right? I'm thinking of upgrading my tv, so 1080p is probably going to be important to me.

ManaByte said:
That and Hot Fuzz on the same day. WOOHOO

A couple of people got it already along with The Host, Shaun of the Dead and 300 from DVD Pacific. I ordered Hot Fuzz yesterday and it shipped on the same day, so hopefully I'll get it by next Friday (days before the street date :D).

Hot Fuzz's transfer seems to be an excellent one apparently.

ManaByte

Gold Member
VanMardigan said:
So, the HD A20......that's the one that doesn't do 1080p, right? I'm thinking of upgrading my tv, so 1080p is probably going to be important to me.

The A2 does 1080i, the A20 does 1080p

VanMardigan said:
So, the HD A2......that's the one that doesn't do 1080p, right? I'm thinking of upgrading my tv, so 1080p is probably going to be important to me.

You'd probably want to get at least the HD-A20 and upgrade your TV with 1080p/24fps support to benefit it when the firmware hits in a couple of months.

ManaByte

Gold Member
From the 300 review:
The picture-in-picture commentary is a ridiculously entertaining and informative addition, highlighting not only Snyder's dynamic, easy-going personality but everything and anything audiences may have wanted to know about the film's production. With a second, smaller screen in the bottom-left corner matched shot-for-shot with the theatrical release, viewers can see the green-screen, blue-screen, warts-and-all reference shots compared against their fully-produced end products. The Film-School-101, special-effects master class value is both remarkable and completely accessible as Snyder walks us through the arduous, painstaking process of creating an effects-heavy film with an impressive charisma and a well-delivered lesson plan. And the dual-picture accompaniment is a welcome, educational visual aid.

4u3jfqx.jpg

Matrix

Any word on how good the Host transfer is?

Matrix

Just searched the avs forums,this is all I could find so far...

"Second, the HD DVD does not have a master quality audio track. The Korean and English dub tracks are only encoded in DTS-HD HR. This is a disappointment considering that the BD version has PCM tracks.

The picture quality is spectacular, however. The clarity is quite amazing, blacks look inky, and the fine grain structure remains intact."

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Well, that's good to hear. Magnolia has yet to release anything less than a spectacular transfer; admittedly, I don't care about the audio since I don't even have the most basic of sound systems. I'll assume the best about the subs, since if they were hard-of-hearing subtitles, it seems like that would've been mentioned.

Matrix

Same for me Mana.I think Im also getting the Shooter on Blu-ray for free so Ill most likely have that too .

This coming week it's all about Bourne :D

Mrbob

Seeing the Hot Fuzz boxart is the first time I've felt any pain for not owning a HD DVD player.

Oh well I guess I stick with it on DVD for now.

Raistlin

rubso said:
nice ManaByte. :D
same as Mana, but no Hot Fuzz for me till Heroes Season 1 come out.
+ Darkman
51TWN-Bq4DL._SS500_.jpg

Well ... that there gets my vote for the worst cover I've seen this year.

Christ, that's shite.

Petrarca

Banned
Andy787 said:
Why are we talking about our recent HD-DVD purchases in a thread titled "Bluray/HD-DVD: Bluray takeover watch?"

Because this is a rare time where Nielsen didn't release their weekly sales data, so all the HD-DVD boys felt safe to come out and play on Friday night

Oni Jazar said:
3 more months! (so long as they don't delay it again)

The Samsung BD1400 (coming this fall) is 1.1 compliant, so it's ready for the next players. I think the problem they're having is trying to see what they can do in terms of firmware for the 1.0 players.

Solo

ManaByte said:
And my A2 has shipped. I'll have a standalone just in time for the 31st megaton.

Why are you buying a player for a format that appears by all accounts (especially the most important one: sales) to be the one destined to fail? I dont have an HD-DVD or BRD player, and dont really have any bias for either one, so this is an honest question, not a troll. I could understand buying one a year ago. But now?

Also, LOL at that IGN review. Pack it up, DVD/HD-DVD/BRD producers, its over. Nothing you can ever do will top the 300 HD-DVD. Ever.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Solo said:
Why are you buying a player for a format that appears by all accounts (especially the most important one: sales) to be the one destined to fail? I dont have an HD-DVD or BRD player, and dont really have any bias for either one, so this is an honest question, not a troll. I could understand buying one a year ago. But now?

Also, LOL at that IGN review. Pack it up, DVD/HD-DVD/BRD producers, its over. Nothing you can ever do will top the 300 HD-DVD. Ever.

Manabyte is interested in having more dilapidated players around in a years time. That's all.

Solo

I think he's extended the Disney hivemind into his everyday purchasing decisions. "Buy that HD-DVD player before its too late! Soon to be going into the vault forever!"

Costanza

Banned
I was at Sam's Club this morning and the HD-DVD's were all mixed in with the Blu-Ray display with no HD-DVD players (or any mention of it differentiating from blu-ray) in sight. Kinda misleading for the average consumer.

Oni Jazar

DarkJediKnight said:
The Samsung BD1400 (coming this fall) is 1.1 compliant, so it's ready for the next players. I think the problem they're having is trying to see what they can do in terms of firmware for the 1.0 players.

Was that confirmed?

BTW Good news regarding BD1.1 and PS3:

I already had this conversation with industry insiders from Sun (and elsewhere) at the Java-TV Day @ JavaOne this year. From what was told to me, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is more a question of when than if Sony can provide the necessary firmware updates, and considering their willingness to address system issues to date I'm not in the least bit concerned personally.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=877838

Well, the PS3 has all the necessary requirement for BD1.1. In fact, PS3 will probably be the first BD live player. That was never in question. It's about the older models. I for example, bought the Sony S300 and am awating True HD firmware. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't get 1.1 update, but it would be great if it did.

Brofist

Solo said:

I think he just wanted to pick it up before it drops again in price, so he can feel like it's worth more.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I love it how jackasses jump into the thread to question purchasing decisions. Even if HD DVD died TODAY, you'd still have the ability to get more use out of it (from the hundreds of movies that are out) than you would on most of the crap purchases the average consumer makes.

This time next year, HD DVD movies will still be getting released. If any of you jerks questioning the viability of buying an HD DVD player (which offers superb dvd upscaling as well) wants to doubt the format will be alive this time next year, why not bet a ban on it?

Oni Jazar

DarkJediKnight said:
Well, the PS3 has all the necessary requirement for BD1.1. In fact, PS3 will probably be the first BD live player. That was never in question.

Technically true I guess but there just hasn't been any official confirmation that the PS3 will be BD1.1 and 2.0 compliant. I would imagine that it would be but it's nice to hear additional confirmation from those in the know.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
I love it how jackasses jump into the thread to question purchasing decisions. Even if HD DVD died TODAY, you'd still have the ability to get more use out of it (from the hundreds of movies that are out) than you would on most of the crap purchases the average consumer makes.

This time next year, HD DVD movies will still be getting released. If any of you jerks questioning the viability of buying an HD DVD player (which offers superb dvd upscaling as well) wants to doubt the format will be alive this time next year, why not bet a ban on it?

HD-DVD fans explode in rage!

What he does with his money is fine. But I would warn against labouring under the thought that HD-DVD will see it past 2009.

thaivo

Solo said:

I can't speak for him, but some reasons could be:

1) He is a reasonable person, who can think for himself, and understands that HD-DVD is going to be around for a significant amount of time.

2) Related to the above point, he has not been affected by the tactics of BD propaganda.

3) the A2 is a pretty sweet deal! It's affordable, and with the price difference between the A2 and even the lowest priced BD player you can purchase around 10+ films, not including the 5 free films through the mail.

4) Since he is buying it for the 31st, 300 on HD-DVD is will be better than on BD.

Crayon Shinchan said:
HD-DVD fans explode in rage!

What he does with his money is fine. But I would warn against labouring under the thought that HD-DVD will see it past 2009.

You never know, it might be BD that doesn't see the light of a 2009 day... It'll be funny when this thread still exists going into 2009.

painey

just pre ordered my 300 Blu Ray.. i hope it doesnt take too long to arrive in the UK.. ill be happy if i have it by august 7th :D

Chemo

thaivo said:
You never know, it might be BD that doesn't see the light of a 2009 day... It'll be funny when this thread still exists going into 2009.
You are completely and totally insane. Beyond belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom