• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
jjasper said:
They are.

Someone at HTF brought up a good point that if the game consoles didn't play HD movies there wouldn't be certain people so passionate about pushing a certain format and it would be about what MOVIES are available to watch in HD and not what game console is able to play them.

I personally HATE using my game consoles to watch movies. I had a drive on a PS2 die from watching DVDs on it so much, which is why I prefer standalone players. Once Blu-Ray standalones get down to $250 I'll buy one and use that exclusively to watch movies on as I want to save the PS3 for GAMES.

Petrarca

Banned
StoOgE said:
I think the begging Steven Spielberg to release movies on HDDVD may have been trolling. Seeing as how you made the whole thing up.

Did you read my freakin post? check out the link? I said ManaByte started the argument...and it's not your freaking business, so get off my ass already and go ****ing mind your own business

thaivo

Petrarca said:
Did you read my freakin post? check out the link? I said ManaByte started the argument...and it's not your freaking business, so get off my ass already and go ****ing mind your own business

Wow! It's a public discussion forum. I think it is generally allowed for people to enter into discussions whenever they like. :D

jjasper

ManaByte said:
Someone at HTF brought up a good point that if the game consoles didn't play HD movies there wouldn't be certain people so passionate about pushing a certain format and it would be about what MOVIES are available to watch in HD and not what game console is able to play them.

I personally HATE using my game consoles to watch movies. I had a drive on a PS2 die from watching DVDs on it so much, which is why I prefer standalone players. Once Blu-Ray standalones get down to $250 I'll buy one and use that exclusively to watch movies on as I want to save the PS3 for GAMES.

Well if you go over to the gaming side and you can see it and there are other place you can see it too.

I don't know why put I have always used my video game consoles for movies (in fact the stand alone is the first stand alone player I have ever purchased) I bought the PS2 in large part because of the DVD player. and I would not have bought never gotten a PS3 if not for blu ray movies.

Petrarca

Banned
...and more blu-ray good news

Pirates 3 on blu-ray on December 4

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=638

Third 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Film Coming to Blu-Ray Disc
July 26, 2007

Buena Vista Home Entertainment's 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' will be released in a two-disc Blu-ray Disc set on December 4, day-and-date with the standard DVD debut.

The third pirates adventure on high-def home video is being constructed much like the first two. Disc one will be a BD-50 and include the film while disc two, a BD-25, will be chock full of extras including featurettes such as Keith & the Captain, Hoist the Colors: Masters of Design, Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom, The Tale of the Multiple Jacks, Inside the Brethren Court, and The Pirate Code: Revealed. Exclusive to the Blu-ray version will be the BD-J interactive feature Enter the Maelstrom which will give viewers a chance to interactively poke around the scene.

'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' on Blu-ray Disc will carry an SRP of $35.99. Check back regularly for a complete list of extras and high resolution cover art.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Petrarca said:

Nice. Internet freakout session FTW.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Petrarca said:

4kz1kwn.gif

Anywho. Got my 360 HD-DVD drive and King Kong, Children of Men, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Clerks II, The Untouchables discs in yesterday. Is it a dying format? Maybe, but I'll be damned if those titles didn't look gorgeous in 720p on my set. Have no regrets about the purchase, even if the oft noisy 360 doesn't make the best player in the world. It's great to finally not have to dump to a separate menu when you want to do anything and how chapter selection and setup can now all be done in-movie. Really does feel like a "next gen" kind of format.

Let me reword my last post:

The tone here as gotten nasty again, as it does whenever there's a bit of bad news for HD DVD and fanboys on both sides amp up for a skirmish.

Didn't mean to lay that at the feet of any group generalized by their format choice.

jjasper

I wonder if Troy will be like Kingdom of Heaven where the directors cut makes takes it from being an average at best movie to a great movie.

ManaByte

Gold Member
jjasper said:
I wonder if Troy will be like Kingdom of Heaven where the directors cut makes takes it from being an average at best movie to a great movie.

The new version is 30 mins longer.

jjasper said:

one can certainly hope....yeah Director's Cut of KoH is amazing...

Petrarca

Banned
Here's the detail on Pirates 3....Disney is going all out on this one

URBANK, CA -- 07/26/07 -- Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment presents "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" like you have never experienced it before on Disney DVD and stunning high-definition Blu-ray Disc® loaded with an armada of bonus materials. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley and Geoffrey Rush lead a stellar cast in the biggest, most thrilling installment of the blockbuster franchise, filled with spectacular visual effects, exotic locales and breathtaking action. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" arrives in time for the holidays on multiple platforms including 2-disc DVD and 2-disc 75GB Blu-ray sets featuring hours of extra material highlighted by bloopers and extensive behind-the-scenes content -- plus the Blu-ray exclusive Enter the Maelstrom: a BD-Java feature that takes Blu-ray interactivity to an astounding new level! Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Gore Verbinski, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," which catapulted to become the #1 global box office hit of 2007 to date with over $946 million generated at the box office, arrives December 4 on multiple platforms, including a 2-disc DVD for the SRP of $34.99, 2-disc 75GB Blu-ray for the SRP of $35.99, and single-disc DVD for the SRP of $29.99.

Captain Jack Sparrow returns in a massively entertaining epic adventure beyond the very ends of the earth in the #1 worldwide box office phenomenon of 2007. Join Elizabeth, Will, and Captain Barbossa as they navigate through treacherous lands, mysterious lore, and supernatural wonders of the pirate world. Meet the legendary pirate lords as they prepare for a titanic clash with the ruthless Lord Beckett and Davy Jones' fearsome Flying Dutchman.

The "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" 2-disc Disney DVD set immerses users in hours of behind-the-scenes content and pirate lore from the four corners of the earth. Features include a behind-the-scenes documentary, "Keith & the Captain"; "Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom"; "The Tale of the Multiple Jacks"; "Hoist the Colors"; "Masters of Design"; "Inside the Brethren Court"; "The Pirate Code: Revealed"; "The World of Chow Yun Fat"; "The Pirate Maestro: The Music of Hans Zimmer"; "Bloopers of the Caribbean"; and much, much more!

Relive the breathtaking action and mind-boggling special effects in glorious high-definition detail with the "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" Blu-ray 2-disc release. The Blu-ray Disc high-definition feature film presentation was created from the original digital source files, delivering an unequaled, demo-worthy home viewing experience. Marvel at the wondrous 1080p detail of Davy Jones' slimy, barnacle-encrusted crew and tremble at the ground-shaking cannonade of ship to ship battles with 7.1 channels surround, 48 kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio -- you'll swear you smell the gun powder and feel the salty sea-spray splash across your face!

The Blu-ray Disc release includes all of the standard DVD bonus content re-mastered in high-definition, plus exclusive BD-Java enhanced features including "Enter the Maelstrom," an extensive interactive look at the climactic sequence of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and the return of the Jolly Roger host, who navigates users through animated menus with state-of-the-art BD-Java enabled artificial intelligence. This scurvy scallywag entertainingly guides you through the pirate waters of your Blu-ray experience, responding to your actions (and inactions) with humorous commentary.

About "Enter The Maelstrom"

"Enter the Maelstrom," the exclusive showpiece of the Blu-ray Disc, takes you deep into the perilous whirlpool of the Maelstrom, a sequence of unimaginable scale. The colossal battle between the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman stands as one of the most impressive action set pieces in cinema history with its photorealistic blend of live-action footage and computer-aided FX wizardry. Jerry Bruckheimer hosts the BD-Java feature -- a one-hour immersive, interactive tour that explores the sequence from stem to stern, covering everything you would want to know and more about this awe-inspiring cinematic achievement. Explore the Palmdale hanger that housed the sets from floor to ceiling seamlessly through an interactive, time-lapse footage interface. In-feature pop-ups and selectable icons appear throughout the time-lapse footage over different areas of the massive set; navigating to each of these reveals multimedia content about how the Maelstrom was created, from set construction to special effects. Discover the Maelstrom on your own, or take a tour of the highlights of the set with Jerry Bruckheimer, who also provides optional commentary throughout the feature.
"Enter the Maelstrom" is a BD-Java interactive feature that was developed and produced by Disney and programmed by Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory. Panasonic is a key technology provider for BD-Java or Blu-ray Disc Java, which is the interactive platform supporting advanced content for Blu-ray Disc. BD-Java allows bonus content on Blu-ray Disc titles to be far more sophisticated then bonus content provided by standard definition DVD. Panasonic also handled the film's AVC video compression (Advanced Video Coding; a digital video codec standard that is noted for achieving very high data compression) direct from digital intermediates as well as menu authoring for Disc 1 of the Blu-ray 2-disc set.

Synopsis

Just when he's needed most, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), that witty and wily charmer of a pirate, is trapped on a sea of sand in Davy Jones' Locker. In an increasingly shaky alliance, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) begin a desperate quest to find and rescue him. Captain Jack's the last of the nine Pirate Lords of the Brethren Court who must come together united in one last stand to preserve the freedom-loving pirates' way of life. From exotic Singapore, to World's End and beyond, from Shipwreck Island, to a titanic battle, this adventure's filled with over-the-edge action, irreverent humor and seafaring myth and magic. Everything has led to this twisting, turning, wild swashbuckling ride in this final chapter of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" trilogy.

"PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END"

2-Disc Disney DVD Bonus Materials

DISC 1

-- Feature Film Presentation
-- Bloopers of the Caribbean - hilarious outtakes of cast and crew

DISC 2

-- Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom - a detailed breakdown of one of
cinema's most complex and impressive action set pieces
-- Keith & the Captain - A revealing look at the dynamic relationship
between living legends Keith Richards and Johnny Depp
-- Tale of the Multiple Jacks - an in-depth look at the mind-blowing FX
that went into creating multiple Captain Jacks
-- Hoist the Colors - reveals the inspiration for the "Hoist the Colors"
original composition
-- Masters of Design - five individual documentaries highlighting the
talented design teams behind this immense production
- #1: Jim Byrkit and The Map
- #2: Crash McCreary and the Krusty Pirates
- #3: Rick Heinrichs and the Singapore Set
- #4: Penny Rose and the Captain Teague Costumes
- #5: Chris Peck and the Pirate Code Book
-- Inside the Brethren Court - a closer look at the legendary Pirate Lords
and their costume designs, origins and unique personalities
-- The Pirate Code: Revealed - explores the pirate code and the history
of piracy
-- The World of Chow Yun Fat - a look at the man behind devious Captain
Sao Feng, international sensation Chow Yun Fat, and his meteoric rise
to fame
-- The Pirate Maestro: The Music of Hans Zimmer - meet the renowned
composer who created the film's rousing score

Blu-ray 2-Disc Bonus Materials

DISC 1

-- Jolly Roger Host - BD-Java Exclusive

DISC 2

-- Enter the Maelstrom - BD-Java Exclusive
-- All Standard DVD Bonus Content - available in high-definition

Single Disc Disney DVD Bonus Materials

DISC 1

-- Feature Audio Commentary
-- Bloopers of the Caribbean

TITLE INFORMATION
2-Disc Disney DVD SRP $34.99 U.S.; $41.99 Canada
Blu-ray Disc SRP: $35.99 U.S.; $45.99 Canada
Single Disc Disney DVD SRP: $29.99 U.S.; $37.99 Canada
Running Time: Approximately 150 minutes
MPAA Rating: U.S. PG-13 for Intense Sequences of
Adventure Violence, Including Frightening
Images; Bonus Material Not Rated
Languages: U.S. DVD: English, Spanish; Canada DVD:
English, Spanish; Blu-ray Disc: English,
Spanish, French
Subtitles: U.S. DVD: English SDH, Spanish; Canada DVD:
English SDH, Spanish; Blu-ray: English SDH,
Spanish, French
Cast: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom,
Keira Knightley, Bill Nighy, Chow Yun Fat,
Tom Hollander and Jonathan Pryce
Director: Gore Verbinski
Writers: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio
Producer: Jerry Bruckheimer
Blu-ray Disc Sound: 5.1 48 kHz, 24-bit uncompressed sound
(English)
5.1 Dolby Digital
(English, French, Spanish)
Blu-ray Disc Encoding: AVC
Blu-ray Disc Resolution: 1080p

djkimothy

TITLE INFORMATION
2-Disc Disney DVD SRP $34.99 U.S.; $41.99 Canada
Blu-ray Disc SRP: $35.99 U.S.; $45.99 Canada
Single Disc Disney DVD SRP: $29.99 U.S.; $37.99 Canada

:lol I don't recall ever bying a Blu-ray film for that much other than Planet Earth.

jjasper

The Blu-ray Disc release includes all of the standard DVD bonus content re-mastered in high-definition, plus exclusive BD-Java enhanced features including "Enter the Maelstrom," an extensive interactive look at the climactic sequence of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and the return of the Jolly Roger host, who navigates users through animated menus with state-of-the-art BD-Java enabled artificial intelligence. This scurvy scallywag entertainingly guides you through the pirate waters of your Blu-ray experience, responding to your actions (and inactions) with humorous commentary.

Someone finally gets it.

el Diablo

Banned
ManaByte said:
IME/U Control stuff like Universal and Warner do?

Paranoid much? Was asking a simple question, i don't own an HD-DVD player and i've only watched about a dozen movies on HD-DVD so i had no clue what you could do with Java outside of IME and U control, thought maybe there was something even more interesting out there that it could be used for since those 2 features really didn't do much for me.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/07-26-2007/0004632974&EDATE=

For fans of the original Star Trek series, CBS Home Entertainment and
Paramount Home Entertainment announced the upcoming release of STAR TREK:
The Original Series in a 10-disc HD DVD/DVD combo disc set. The completely
remastered edition goes where no fan has gone before with pristine HD audio
and video, and exclusive HD DVD interactive features including
picture-in-picture video commentaries and an in-depth tour of the starship
Enterprise.
The combo disc format offers a high definition version on one
side for playback on any HD DVD player, and a standard DVD version on the
other side for playback on any DVD player. This historic boxed set goes on
sale in time for the holidays on November 20, 2007 for the suggested retail
price of $199.00.

4qeyx35.jpg

Not a fan, but pretty neat looking :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
djkimothy said:
And the ridiculous pricing on Star Trek seasons continue. I still think it was ridiculous when TNG was $125 per season. $200 is even worse. :/

No, this is $200 for the entire Original Series. It's only $50 more than the current three-set bundle that's $150.

Season sets are currently $50.

jjasper

StoOgE said:
I think 300 is doing this as well.

I guess we find out for sure on Tuesday.

Good. I don't really even watch the special features all that often but it is annoying as hell when they are not in HD.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Main Event said:

Also from that link:

Heroes: Season 1, available August 28th, 2007 from Universal Studios
Home Entertainment, will offer exclusive features only on HD DVD, including
a web-enabled Download Center, a Heroes Abilities Test, The Helix Revealed,
Character Connections and Picture-in-Picture Commentary. The seven-disc HD
DVD set provides a personal experience for viewers of television's hottest
must-see series and immerses them in the program. The exclusive interactive
features showcase HD DVD web-connectivity which is a first for Universal
and only the second title to include this new feature. HD DVD is the only
high definition format that offers web connectivity today. The boxed set
will retail for $99.98.

Alcibiades

ManaByte said:
No, this is $200 for the entire Original Series. It's only $50 more than the current three-set bundle that's $150.

it's only season 1 I think (that said, the season sets were originally more than $100 dollar each, and before that it was like $20 for 2 episodes one by one)... Paramount overpricing Trek is nothing new...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Alcibiades said:
it's only season 1 I think (that said, the season sets were originally more than $100 dollar each, and before that it was like $20 for 2 episodes one by one)... Paramount overpricing Trek is nothing new...

The article says "Star Trek: The Original Series" doesn't say anything about it being a specific season.

CBS Home Entertainment and
Paramount Home Entertainment announced the upcoming release of STAR TREK:
The Original Series in a 10-disc HD DVD/DVD combo disc set.

Can't wait to hear about how Sony bought off Woolworth's, too.

Could this and the Target decision *just possibly* be due to the 6 months of Blu-Ray killing HD-DVD in sales?

Question to the more ardent supporters: what will have to happen for you to call the Format War effectively over?

Is it:
Another major retailer dropping or limiting support
Universal going neutral
Blu-Ray Sales advantage continues through date XX
Blu-Ray Sales advantage increading to X:Y ratio
Toshiba ceasing making players

Or something else?

I say it's effectively over, and we're waiting for the delayed reaction of Universal to confirm it.

C4Lukins

If it is the whole series, I may pick it up. That picture just shows season 1 though. The 10 disks has me confused. It seems like way to many for one season, but not enough for the whole series.

yacobod

Banned
jjasper said:

what he said

but i'm a little more skeptical with troy, eric bana was great as hector imo, its just that brad pitt is not convincing as Achilles, i dont know hes not enough of a bad ass or something, i think he was kinda weak in the movie

C4Lukins

Ignatz Mouse said:
Can't wait to hear about how Sony bought off Woolworth's, too.

Could this and the Target decision *just possibly* be due to the 6 months of Blu-Ray killing HD-DVD in sales?

Question to the more ardent supporters: what will have to happen for you to call the Format War effectively over?

Is it:
Another major retailer dropping or limiting support
Universal going neutral
Blu-Ray Sales advantage continues through date XX
Blu-Ray Sales advantage increading to X:Y ratio
Toshiba ceasing making players

Or something else?

I say it's effectively over, and we're waiting for the delayed reaction of Universal to confirm it.

Why? Everyone is discussing all of these cool announcements for both formats, and you have to bring it back to this? To answer your question, the format war will end when they stop making HDDVDs that I personally want to buy.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
C4Lukins said:
Why? Everyone is discussing all of these cool announcements for both formats, and you have to bring it back to this? To answer your question, the format war will end when they stop making HDDVDs that I personally want to buy.

Stop making, or becomes available on BD?

There's a pretty big difference between the two. But the statement shows how ingrained into HD-DVD you are more than anything else.

C4Lukins

Ignatz Mouse said:
Becuase it's a takeover watch thread?

And the takeover has happened. I know a lot of you want to see HDDVD dead and buried, but as long as it gets support, that is not going to happen. It will be around for at least another 6 months, and until that marketshare drops to ridiculously low levels, it is not going to just disappear for your convenience. If it loses support from a major studio that it currently has, then the writing is on the wall, and the death should be swift. This is a huge potential market though, and they are not going to throw in the towel when they currently have over 30% of that potentially huge market. Even for a company like Universal, the worst case scenario is that they get to double dip on two formats if HDDVD fails. What a horrible position to be in.

djkimothy

ManaByte said:

Well the box in the picture says Season one. That's what I gathered from it. :/ But yah, the text blurb doesn't specifiy.

So your answer is the loss of a major studio for HD-DVD. Got it.

I ask becuase for a long time, a common stance was "it's too early to tell" who would win out in the long run, and I was wondering of those people who still felt that way, what would be their personal limit. I was willing to call it on the combo of continued sales ratio in the face of price-drops on the Toshiba players + the BB announcement (fairly recently). I'm pro-Blu, though, I realize people more pro HD-DVD are going to have a more skeptical set of criteria.

No need to take this personally.

C4Lukins

Crayon Shinchan said:
Stop making, or becomes available on BD?

There's a pretty big difference between the two. But the statement shows how ingrained into HD-DVD you are more than anything else.

I am not pretending like I am not routing for HD-DVD to survive. If a title is released on both formats, I will go for HD-DVD everytime unless the BR version is vastly superior. It would still be nice to have a discussion without the whole fanboyish rhetoric. There is a big difference between me preferring HD-DVD and people attacking the opposing format every chance they get. I am just as happy when a big BR exclusive title is announced because I want to see these movies in HD, and I am not cheering for BR to fail. If HD-DVD goes under tomorrow, it will not be a big deal to me. I want to see it succeed, but I have very little emotional investment in this "war." I will still have my HD-DVD player for the movies that I have bought, and I will still have my PS3 for future BR titles. I think this war is forcing both formats to be innovative and competitive which will benefit everyone in the long run, but is a pain in the ass for early adopters.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
C4Lukins said:
And the takeover has happened. I know a lot of you want to see HDDVD dead and buried, but as long as it gets support, that is not going to happen. It will be around for at least another 6 months, and until that marketshare drops to ridiculously low levels, it is not going to just disappear for your convenience. If it loses support from a major studio that it currently has, then the writing is on the wall, and the death should be swift. This is a huge potential market though, and they are not going to throw in the towel when they currently have over 30% of that potentially huge market. Even for a company like Universal, the worst case scenario is that they get to double dip on two formats if HDDVD fails. What a horrible position to be in.

Well said C4. Hey Ignatz maybe if you close your eyes click you're heels twice and repeat "There's nothing like blu ray... There's nothing like blu ray" that might expedite things a little. Let me know how that works out for you. That goes for crayon and pet too. ;)

Hmmm....

I want a ful selection on movies, I want to only have to have one player to play them, and I want to seemingly-inevitable conclusion to this format war that's preventing that outcome to get here as soon as it can... and *I'm* the fanboy?

Hey Days, weren't you banned for trolling Sony threads in the Gaming forum?

And C4, I'm asking a question, not insulting anybody's choice. Read all 7000+ posts of this thread, I've never called anybody dumb for buying an HD-DVD player, or said it was a bad idea, or any of that crap. I *have* said I wish HD-DVD would hurry up and die, or (what I really want) for Universal to go neutral and WB to hurry up with their BD offerings. I don't see a big problem with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom