• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4Lukins

Ignatz Mouse said:
Hmmm....

I want a ful selection on movies, I want to only have to have one player to play them, and I want to seemingly-inevitable conclusion to this format war that's preventing that outcome to get here as soon as it can... and *I'm* the fanboy?

Hey Days, weren't you banned for trolling Sony threads in the Gaming forum?

And C4, I'm asking a question, not insulting anybody's choice. Read all 7000+ posts of this thread, I've never called anybody dumb for buying an HD-DVD player, or said it was a bad idea, or any of that crap. I *have* said I wish HD-DVD would hurry up and die, or (what I really want) for Universal to go neutral and WB to hurry up with their BD offerings. I don't see a big problem with that.

I am not attacking you personally at all, and you are not even one of the offenders I am referring to. I know the nature of this thread, it is usually a page of good followed by a page of the discussion we are having now, and it is just a cycle of derailment. Of course the title of the thread implies the two format war so it should be expected, but this is where most of the discussion of the two formats goes on, and it would be nice if there was less of the anti BR/HD-DVD stuff and more discussion of the news. I find the topic itself very interesting, it can just be very frustrating.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'll take that torch.

What do I need to do differently?

Should I add an irrational hate of Sony to the menu?
Maybe petitions to get Disney to support HDDVD

yacobod

Banned
i own both formats, but i think the writing is on the wall for hd-dvd, but i dont think the war will be resolved until at least 2009, i think it will get dragged out for at least another year, we'll see tho

yacobod

Banned
has anyone picked up the bourne identity on hd-dvd yet?

any user impressions?

the highdefdigest review seemed pretty positive, but i kinda take their reviews with a grain of salt now

ManaByte

Gold Member
yacobod said:

any user impressions?

the highdefdigest review seemed pretty positive, but i kinda take their reviews with a grain of salt now

Picking up both Bourne movies tonight, but I won't be able to watch them until tomorrow night. Identity DOES have every single extra ever made for the three previous SD releases on it though.

StoOgE said:
I'll take that torch.

What do I need to do differently?

Should I add an irrational hate of Sony to the menu?
Maybe petitions to get Disney to support HDDVD

I say do both.

As for the Star Trek set, there's "Season One" written on the package, so I guess it's not the complete original series unfortunately.

StoOgE

yacobod said:

any user impressions?

its a very strong transfer.

thaivo

Ignatz Mouse said:
Only one reply to my question-- do other pro-HD-DVD folks think the outcome is determined now?

Not really, has that much really changed in the last few days? The Target announcement was a positive for BD I'll admit, but as it turned out it, it wasn't so earth shattering.

I think the earliest we will be able to see if HD-DVD is sustainable will be after this holiday season. I personally think the fact that you will likely be able pick up an HD-DVD stand-alone player for around $200 this Winter will mean big things, and the format will be alive going into 2009.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
thaivo said:
Not really, has that much really changed in the last few days? The Target announcement was a positive for BD I'll admit, but as it turned out it, it wasn't so earth shattering.

I think the earliest we will be able to see if HD-DVD is sustainable will be after this holiday season. I personally think the fact that you will likely be able pick up an HD-DVD stand-alone player for around $200 this Winter will mean big things, and the format will be alive going into 2009.

As we know the lower prices has made a huge impact.. *sigh*
Then again i'm not a "much better human being" such as yourself.

thaivo

Suikoguy said:
As we know the lower prices has made a huge impact.. *sigh*
Then again i'm not a "much better human being" such as yourself.

It's good that you've come to realize those two facts. :D

I'm not sure you realize this, but the "better human beings" statement was a joke.

jjasper

yacobod said:
for owners of both formats, which are you going to be picking up 300 on next week?

hd-dvd or brd

fight!!!

I was actually thinking about it today as I was going to preorder it on amazon. The Blu Ray is cheaper but the HD DVD has extra, decisions. Can't decide so I think I am going to wait and see if either has a better transfer (which I doubt)

Ignatz Mouse said:
Only one reply to my question-- do other pro-HD-DVD folks think the outcome is determined now?

No.

It's not looking good for HD DVD, but it's not over. Crazier things have happened and we (HD movie formats) still have a miniscule adoption rate when compared to the amount of HDTV owners.

yacobod said:

any user impressions?

I picked it up a couple days ago. It's on par with Supremacy, which is to say it looks and sounds very good.

yacobod

Banned
jjasper said:
I was actually thinking about it today as I was going to preorder it on amazon. The Blu Ray is cheaper but the HD DVD has extra, decisions. Can't decide so I think I am going to wait and see if either has a better transfer (which I doubt)

ya thats what i was thinking, i decided to go with the hd-dvd for the extras, the green screen stuff sounds cool as hell, i expect the transfers to be identical for both, so that didnt really play a part in my decision

if the extras were the same i prolly would have got the brd to be honest

Raistlin

So ... ummm ... anyways ...

Denon anncounces reference BD player

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/denon-dvd-3800bdci-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

According to Denon, the DVD-3800BDCI is the worlds first Blu-ray DVD player with Blu-Ray Profile 1.1 support. In keeping with the guidelines mandated by the Blu-ray Association for BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 players, the DVD-3800BDCI incorporates a secondary audio and video decoder. This allows for simultaneous playback of a secondary audio and video track which may be used for interactive audio, games and commentary and for picture-in-picture capability (respectively). Additional information (subtitles, audio streams, camera angles, trailers, games, etc.) can be downloaded from the Internet via computer and stored on a SD card which interfaces directly on the front panel of the player. This content can be played with the original content of Blu-ray Discs.

The DVD-3800BDCI features the latest in video processing via the 10-bit Silicon Optix Realta chipset with scaling up to 1080p for SD sources, providing consumers with the highest resolution high-definition video available today via HDMI™ connection, as well as the ultimate in audio performance, including high-definition audio decoding and DDSC-HD audio output.

Denon’s new DVD-3800BDCI utilizes a variety of the world’s most advanced audio technologies, including Advanced AL24 processing, to deliver the ultimate in audio performance. The player offers HD Audio and DDSC-HD, with decoding of Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and is capable of outputting both 7.1-channel analog signals and PCM audio via HDMI output. Denon claims the audio analog section is borrowed from their venerable DVD-5910 though disappointingly, you won’t find any DVD-A or SACD support on this product. The DVD-3800BDCI also has a bitstream bypass feature that will allow it to transmit native TrueHD and DTS-HD formats without re-encoding it to multichannel PCM as most of the current Blu-ray and HD players do today.
The DVD-3800BDI is scheduled to ship this fall and with a retail price of $1999.

:lol @ price ... though this IS meant to be a reference player.

Crap though, this things a beast.

* BluRay Profile 1.1 compliant

* HQV Realta (no, not Reon) for upconversion

* Decodes ALL new audio formats, and outputs either via 7.1 analog or HDMI

* Analog section based on DVD-5910

* Bypass mode to send bitstream for the new audio codecs

Kind of sucks they didn't include SACD/DVDA support though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Onix said:
So ... ummm ... anyways ...

Denon anncounces reference BD player

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/denon-dvd-3800bdci-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

:lol @ price ... though this IS meant to be a reference player.

Crap though, this things a beast.

* BluRay Profile 1.1 compliant

* HQV Realta (no, not Reon) for upconversion

* Decodes ALL new audio formats, and outputs either via 7.1 analog or HDMI

* Analog section based on DVD-5910

* Bypass mode to send bitstream for the new audio codecs

Kind of sucks they didn't include SACD/DVDA support though.
...old, like 7 pages old :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7165147&postcount=6989

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
yacobod said:
for owners of both formats, which are you going to be picking up 300 on next week?

hd-dvd or brd

fight!!!

Hd-dvd for the extras.

If I had both, I'd get the HD-DVD.... but I'm not into the movie, so I am not even getting the BD. I may rent it, but I didn't think it was very good.

Petrarca

Banned
I don't know how HD-DVD can survive this.

I mean c'mon, nothing can survice Goku's KAMEHA-MEHA.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=344

News

Dragon Ball Z Heads to Blu-ray
Posted July 25, 2007 by Josh

FUNimation Entertainment is planning to announce the release of their first Blu-ray disc later this week at the San Diego Comic-Con. Their first title will be two Dragon Ball Z titles on the same disc - 'Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan' and 'Broly: Second Coming' - due out November 13th. The disc will be presented in 1080p with a new 5.1 surround sound mix.

Both titles, which are two of the best selling Dragon Ball Z titles ever, have been digitally remastered from the original 35mm print. All extras will also be in 1080p, including a special featurette describing the restoration process called "Dragon Ball Z: A New Look". FUNimation plans to continue releasing their most popular titles on Blu-ray in the near future.

el Diablo

Banned
So what're we thinking the pie is going to be for 300 next week? Will special features sway all the neutral owners to HD-DVD or will the PS3 owners once again prove they're the deciding factor? Personally i'm going 60/40 w/ BD taking the lion's share, but even with that being said i think getting 40 is a win for HD-DVD considering how sales for The Departed went. The second big format neutral studio release for the year should be an interesting one heh.

thaivo

el Diablo said:
So what're we thinking the pie is going to be for 300 next week? Will special features sway all the neutral owners to HD-DVD or will the PS3 owners once again prove they're the deciding factor? Personally i'm going 60/40 w/ BD taking the lion's share, but even with that being said i think getting 40 is a win for HD-DVD considering how sales for The Departed went. The second big format neutral studio release for the year should be an interesting one heh.

Seeing as how 300 fits very well into the PS3 demographic, and PS3 owners outnumber HD-DVD owners by a large margin, I think it's going to be pretty high for BD (even considering the extra features of the HD-DVD version).

Probably something like 70:30. However, as you said, getting 40% would be quite a feat, and a very positive sign. I think 30% would be quite good as well, considering the disparity between the number of players out there.

jjasper

el Diablo said:

Selling less does not equal a win

thaivo

jjasper said:
Selling less does not equal a win

Realistically that's all us HD-DVD supporters can expect at the present.

It's not a win, but would certainly be a positive. Would you consider 50:50 a win? I would!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Oh shit Darkman is out too....f me,I cant get that next week either.

*adds to netflix*

thaivo

The Main Event said:
The Host
The Bourne Identity
300 (HD DVD)
Hot Fuzz
Shaun of the Dead
Darkman

This month is a serious blow to my wallet.

Yeah, I'd pick up all of those if I could afford it (except for The Host, as I'm not sure what the heck that is..) :lol Such a situation seems to be contrary to the assertions that HD-DVD is a dying format.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't think HD-DVD is going anywhere for at least a good 12-18 months, and despite the stagnated studio support -- Warner, Universal, and Paramount will continue to back it strongly, but obviously no one new is coming along -- it currently has and will continue to have more films I'm interested in than Blu.

If Toshiba and/or Universal pull the plug sooner than expected, it'd be disappointing but hardly the end of the world. The irrefutable issue for me is that at $500+ Blu-Ray simply is not an affordable route, and doesn't appear to be going in that direction any time soon. If Sony had allowed their format to keep pace with HD's far more economical pricing, things would've been over months ago.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hotarubi said:
I don't think HD-DVD is going anywhere for at least a good 12-18 months, and despite the stagnated studio support -- Warner, Universal, and Paramount will continue to back it strongly, but obviously no one new is coming along -- it currently has and will continue to have more films I'm interested in than Blu.

If Toshiba and/or Universal pull the plug sooner than expected, it'd be disappointing but hardly the end of the world. The irrefutable issue for me is that at $500+ Blu-Ray simply is not an affordable route, and doesn't appear to be going in that direction any time soon. If Sony had allowed their format to keep pace with HD's far more economical pricing, things would've been over months ago.

It SHOULD be about what movies are there, but the sad fact it really isn't. It's about pie charts.

jjasper

ManaByte said:
It SHOULD be about what movies are there, but the sad fact it really isn't. It's about pie charts.

Yup, this is the internet though. At least this site doesn't fall apart when the numbers come out like the do on the other side.

ManaByte

Gold Member
EDIT: HD DIGEST IS WRONG. IT IS ONLY THE FIRST SEASON OF STAR TREK. SEE PRESS RELEASE BELOW

They are also the HD remastered episodes currently up on XBL Video Marketplace (with the new effects).

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s..._Trek:_The_Original_Series_HD_DVD_Details/815

Be prepared to boldly go where no early adopter has gone before when Paramount Home Entertainment debuts 'Star Trek: The Original Series' on HD DVD this November.

Originally announced last year for a late-2007 HD DVD debut, Paramount has now issued an official press release including complete specs for the landmark next-gen box set.

Due in stores on November 10 as a HD DVD/DVD combo release, the entire 'Original Series' will come packaged as a massive ten-disc box set collection.

Paramount has meticulously remastered 'The Original Series' from the original camera negative specifically for this new release, and the studio says that each classic episode will be presented in pristine condition with newly-retooled, state-of-the-art digital visual effects.

Supplemental features are set to include a host of next-gen exclusives, including interactive menus and a "Starfleet Access" interface that will allow viewers to activate icons which provide such features as Picture in Picture video commentaries and an interactive tour of the Starship Enterprise.

Among the standard-definition extras will be rare on-set home movie footage, plus a featurette that gives inside perspective on what it took to transport Trek into the 21st century.

Tech specs include 1080p video transfers and remixed 5.1 surround tracks in Dolby TrueHD (each episode's original mono soundtrack is also included).

'Star Trek: The Original Series' will come housed in a special collectible "futuristic clear case," and will retail for a suggested list price of $217.99.

At presstime, Paramount had not yet announced any plans for a Blu-ray release, but needless to say, we'll keep you posted.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Full Star Trek press release:

STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES
TRANSPORTS INTO HOME ENTERTAINMENT'S NEW FRONTIER WITH THE LAUNCH OF SEASON ONE ON HD DVD/DVD COMBO DISC SET

Out of this World 10-Disc Set Featuring Fully Remastered Episodes, Exclusive HD DVD Interactive Features and Rare On-Set Home Movie Footage Arrives on November 20, 2007

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. - CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment invite you to experience STAR TREK: The Original Series as never before when the legendary first season arrives for the first time ever in a 10-disc HD DVD/DVD combo disc set on November 20, 2007. Meticulously remastered from the original camera negative specifically for this high-definition release, each classic episode is presented in pristine condition with state-of-the-art digital visual effects. 1960s special effects have been replaced with 21st century computer-generated imagery to give new depth and atmosphere to various elements including the main title sequence, the galaxy shots frequently seen from the Enterprise's bridge, the battle scenes, planets and alien ships, some of the matte paintings used as backdrops for new worlds, as well as the Enterprise and other Starships, which have been replaced with state-of-the-art CGI-created ships. The new computer-generated Enterprise is based on the exact measurements of the original model, which now rests in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

The refurbished episodes also feature higher quality sound for the famous opening theme. The original score by Emmy(R) Award-winning composer Alexander Courage has been re-recorded in state-of-the-art digital stereo audio with an orchestra and a female singer belting out the famous vocals. A digitally remastered version of William Shatner's classic original recording of the 38-word "Space, the final frontier..." monologue continues to open each episode.

In addition, the extraordinary set features true HD audio and exclusive HD DVD interactive features produced by New Wave Entertainment. Interactive menus and a "Starfleet Access" interface will allow viewers to activate icons which provide such features as Picture in Picture video commentaries and an interactive tour of the starship Enterprise. Both the standard definition and high definition presentations also include rare on-set home movie footage, an inside perspective on what it took to transport Trek into the 21st century and much more. Housed in a futuristic clear case, the STAR TREK: The Original Series HD DVD/DVD set will be available for the suggested retail price of $217.99.

STAR TREK: The Original Series is a 10-disc collection presented in the original aspect ratio (1.33:1) screen. The standard definition presentation includes Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, LAS Mono and French Mono as well as English, LAS and French subtitles. The HD DVD presentation features English Dolby True HD and LAS Mono with English and LAS subtitles. The DVD is not rated in the U.S. and rated G in Canada.

Bonus features on the HD DVD side are as follows:

* Starfleet Access - On-screen graphical interface allows viewers to access Picture in Picture video commentaries, comparisons of re-mastered vs. original effects, encyclopedic information (science, life forms, technology), episode trivia and more on the following episodes:
1. Where No Man Has Gone Before
2. The Menagerie, Part 1
3. The Menagerie, Part 2
4. Balance of Terror
5. The Galileo Seven
6. Space Seed
7. Errand of Mercy
* Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century
From new visual effects to sound, this documentary provides an in-depth exploration of the remastering of classic Star Trek episodes.
* Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies and Special Memories
Join crew member and "extra-extraordinaire" Billy Blackburn as he shares his own behind-the-scenes home movie footage of life on the set of Star Trek.
* Interactive Enterprise Tour
Viewers will explore the Enterprise interior and exterior in detail as they pilot their own shuttlecraft in this spectacular 3D simulated feature.
* Perpetual Entertainment's "Star Trek Online" MMO Game Preview

Bonus features on the standard DVD side are as follows:

* Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century
* The Birth of a Timeless Legacy
* Reflections on Spock
* Life Beyond Trek: William Shatner
* To Boldly Go...Season One
* Sci-Fi Visionaries
* Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies and Special Memories
* Kiss & Tell: Romance in the 24th Century
* Trek Connections
* Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier
* Episode Preview Trailers
* Perpetual Entertainment's "Star Trek Online" MMO Game Preview

StoOgE

It ran for 3 years right?

Figure you can get it street for 150-180 the pricing isnt *horrid*.. its just not great either.

Im still a sucker for TOS so I will buy this.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hotarubi said:
You do realize that your last two posts completely contradict one another?

Or they did before the edit. :)

Yea HD Digest read the press release wrong. I noticed that and edited the original post.

Petrarca

Banned
Hotarubi said:

Let me clarify the bolded part, are you interested more in what Universal has to offer versus what Disney + Sony + FOX + MGM + LionsGate have?

ManaByte said:

I've said this dozens of times-- if I were buying solely for what was available today, I'd buy HD-DVD.

But I know that that's not going to last. Between more and more blockbusters coming out on BD plus WB getting to parity, BD will be teh choice movie-wise for me very soon.

And even so, there are more titles (marginally) on BD now anyway. Funny you don't mention that.

That "pie charts" comment is a slam on anybody buying with any kind of forsight whatsoever. Sorry I'm not quite the impulse-buyer you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom