• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
YYZ said:
Anyone watched the BBC and American versions of Planet Earth? Thoughts?

I've got the BBC version on Blu Ray, and I watched the American version on Discovery HD. The American version is narrated by Sigourney Weaver, and the episodes typically have about ten minutes of footage cut out. I'd go with the BBC version, if I were you, simply for the fact that the American version has been edited.

djkimothy said:
:lol Whatever.

Anyways, has anyone seen the Host? I have it on the way from Zip and it got decent transfer ratings.

Picked this up over the weekend. Very good transfer. The movie is kinda brilliant. Like a cross between Little Miss Sunshine and Godzilla. :D

Dated July 9th, but still...

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=20906

The annual European conference of the DVD Forum will be in Berlin next September, and it is expected to focus on the HDi interactive features of the HD DVD format.

The event will take place on 3 September.
At the same period, IFA consumer electronics fair will be held in Berlin, Germany.

The highlight of the event is expected to be the demonstrations of the interactive features of the HD DVD format. Frontline authoring houses will showcase the use of HD DVD/HDi interactive features on large screen 1080p projection, followed by Q&A and discussion with technical experts.

In addition, practical technologies of the HD DVD format including AACS, HD DVD Video/VR (interactive function specs) , Codecs (MPEG2HD, MPEG4 AVC, VC-1), HD DVD authoring systems, replication and testing HD DVD Discs, Triple-layer HD DVD, recording HD data onto red DVD disc and CSS Downloading are expected to be under discussion in a variety of sessions during the day.

Last but not least, the Forum will announce the latest activities of the Forum's key steering committees and working groups related to the specifications related to the DVD and HD DVD formats.

The conference will be held at the Novotel Berlin Am Tiergarten hotel.

Petrarca

Banned
DigitalBits: Spielberg and Coppola will provide commentaries for blu-ray versions of their movies

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

But if the Trek HD-DVD news was something of a mixed bag, there was a MAJOR Blu-ray Disc announcement from Sony that came as a bit of a surprise. Sony had a strong presence on the Comic-Con show floor, which included a booth dedicated to promoting its forthcoming releases. Without question, the biggest of these, due to hit stores on 10/2, is the very first Steven Spielberg film to debut on ANY high-definition format... the Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition. The Blu-ray Disc version will be a 2-disc set (SRP $49.95). Disc One will include all three versions of the film on the same disc in full 1080p video via seamless branching: The 1977 theatrical version, the 1980 special edition and the director's cut (originally released on DVD in 2001). The new high-def transfer has been personally approved by Spielberg himself. Disc Two will include a new, never-before-seen interview with Spielberg, The Making of Close Encounters of the Third Kind retrospective documentary and (exclusive to the Blu-ray version) all-new storyboard-to-scene comparisons, the original 1977 Watch the Skies featurette and the original theatrical trailer. A 2-disc DVD version will also be available (SRP $39.95).

Some of you guys might remember that, earlier this year, there was talk that one or more Spielberg films would be released on HD-DVD format by Universal in 2007, but Universal was forced to issue a statement denying the news. It's hard to deny that the fact that Spielberg would chose (or at least allow) Blu-ray to be the format of his first high-definition release is not insignificant in this format war.

By the way, Sony also announced the first Francis Ford Coppola's film to hit high-definition on Blu-ray Disc... Bram Stoker's Dracula. The film will arrive on 2-disc Collector's Edition on both DVD and Blu-ray Disc on 10/2 (SLP $24.96 for the DVD and $28.95 for the Blu-ray). Coppola has provided both a video introduction and an audio commentary for this release. Other extras will include deleted scenes, 4 behind-the-scenes featurettes (The Blood is the Life: The Making of Dracula, The Costumes are the Sets: The Design of Eiko Ishioka, In-Camera: The Naïve Visual Effects of Dracula and Method and Madness: Visualizing Dracula) and a trailer for Coppola's new forthcoming Youth Without Youth.

...Sony's insider is correct, Jerry Bruckheimer does have massive influence in the industry

Forsete

Petrarca said:
DigitalBits: Spielberg and Coppola will provide commentaries for blu-ray versions of their movies

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

...Sony's insider is correct, Jerry Bruckheimer does have massive influence in the industry

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition. [...] Disc One will include all three versions of the film on the same disc in full 1080p video via seamless branching: The 1977 theatrical version, the 1980 special edition and the director's cut (originally released on DVD in 2001). The new high-def transfer has been personally approved by Spielberg himself

Holy shit.. Must own.

JB1981

Hotarubi said:
There's no Spielberg commentary on the Close Encounters disc. He does not do commentaries, now or ever.
Yea that's what I thought too. Are you just making shit up now, Petrarca?

Raistlin

Petrarca said:
wear your glasses, read my post again, I'm just quoting a source

Errr ... it doesn't actually say commentary :lol

Granted, the 'Making of Close Encounters of the Third Kind retrospective documentary' will likely have some of the scenes played out in full with commentary ... but the actual movie itself doesn't appear to have running commentary.

Petrarca said:

Petrarca said:
I'll mark this post, and save it till I get my blu-ray Close Encounters

:lol Keep it marked. This should be fun when it comes out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_commentary

Despite his high profile, director Steven Spielberg has yet to provide a commentary track for any of his films. He feels that the experience of watching a film with anything other than his intended soundtrack detracts from what he has created.

Bebpo

Banned
I got my Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray today and have watched the first 20 mins or so and wow, it looks great. Dark scenes have issues, but the day scenes look stunning for a film from 1987. Compared to the HORRIBLE R1 dvd it's a huge leap.

It's interesting that the movie title is "WoH Remastered Sound Edition". The sound seemed pretty good for an old audio track remastered.

But yeah, it's like your warping back in time to a 1987 and watching an amazing anime film debut. Very cool, and looking forward to watching it.

Can't wait for Jin-Roh! :D

Cheebs

Petrarca said:
The article says nothing about a commentary, you made up the title yourself! Stop digging yourself deeper in a hole

Cheebs

This is not worthy of it it's own thread and I think you guys might find this interesting. It seems SD-DVD player sales have yet to peak:

DVD player sales in USA (standalone dvd players only, no game systems/computers etc and no blu-ray or hd-dvd):

JAN:
2006: 686,127
2007: 1,049,870

FEB:
2006: 770,132
2007: 1,117,899

MAR:
2006: 1,039,752
2007: 1,217,102

APRL:
2006: 872,169
2007: 1,552,641

(May & June sales not out yet)

And just to show it isn't a recent trend here is all of april's this decade:
2000: 409,192
2001: 631,353
2002: 1,095,930
2003: 1,272,337
2004: 1,161,857
2005: 899,389
2006: 872,169
2007: 1,552,641

robot

Bebpo said:
I got my Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray today and have watched the first 20 mins or so and wow, it looks great. Dark scenes have issues, but the day scenes look stunning for a film from 1987. Compared to the HORRIBLE R1 dvd it's a huge leap.

It's interesting that the movie title is "WoH Remastered Sound Edition". The sound seemed pretty good for an old audio track remastered.

But yeah, it's like your warping back in time to a 1987 and watching an amazing anime film debut. Very cool, and looking forward to watching it.

Can't wait for Jin-Roh! :D

Is this a U.S release? Never got a chance to see this in the years and years of watching anime.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I really just wish that HD-DVD would get more support because I like rooting for the underdog. :)

It would make for a really great family comedy, the little format that could. :p

Chemo

AlteredBeast said:
I really just wish that HD-DVD would get more support because I like rooting for the underdog. :)

It would make for a really great family comedy, the little format that could. :p
That is retarded. This isn't some kind of really entertaining race between two beloved opponents, it's a format war that is causing confusion and stifling the public's adoption of an HD format. The "underdog" needs to be put to sleep, in this case... it's doing nothing but harm, and it's obvious that it has no chance of victory whatsoever.

Chemo said:
That is retarded. This isn't some kind of really entertaining race between two beloved opponents, it's a format war that is causing confusion and stifling the public's adoption of an HD format. The "underdog" needs to be put to sleep, in this case... it's doing nothing but harm, and it's obvious that it has no chance of victory whatsoever.

Nothing to see here. Alltard Beast has always been a dumb shit.

fistfulofmetal said:
Going to pick up 300 on Bluuuu Raaayy today
17.99 at Fye!

What?!

That's tempting, even for an adaptation of a shitty funnybook based off a theoretically cool part of history.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Cheebs said:
This is not worthy of it it's own thread and I think you guys might find this interesting. It seems SD-DVD player sales have yet to peak:
Not surprising - VHS player sales didn't peak until several years after DVD players were available as well.

AlteredBeast said:
But then they wouldn't be the underdog, so then you'd have to hate them with every bone in your body ;)

It was pretty universally panned. Buy at your own risk.

Actually, I'm interested in Pathfinder *ducks* (Shut up! Clancy Brown rox!), but I don't think that's on any new fangled HD format.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Chemo said:

Stop spreading your FUD. The reason why neither format is selling really well is because
J6P is happy with his $40 dollar walmart dvd player and his $10-$15 dollar movies. Stop trying to blame HD-DVD for the slow adoption rate. Like I posted a while back why don't you close your eyes click your heels twice and repeat "There's nothing like blu-ray... There's nothing like blu-ray" It might help expedite your pipe dream of HD DVD dying anytime soon.

Chemo

Days like these... said:
Stop spreading your FUD. The reason why neither format is selling really well is because
J6P is happy with his $40 dollar walmart dvd player and his $10-$15 dollar movies. Stop trying to blame HD-DVD for the slow adoption rate. Like I posted a while back why don't you close your eyes click your heels twice and repeat "There's nothing like blu-ray... There's nothing like blu-ray" It might help expedite your pipe dream of HD DVD dying anytime soon.
Yeah, totally FUD. Fact: Blu-ray is tracking faster than DVD at this point in its life. Fact: HD DVD is totally sucking air sales-wise. Fact: You always come in here to talk shit to Blu-ray people, but always disappear when all of the good Blu-ray news and bad HD DVD news surfaces.

You know how this format "war" is going, and you know how it's going to end. Stop pretending.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Days like these... said:
J6P is happy with his $40 dollar walmart dvd player and his $10-$15 dollar movies. Stop trying to blame HD-DVD for the slow adoption rate.
Are you saying then that the format war is not slowing down overall adoption rate, AT ALL?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Chemo said:
Yeah, totally FUD. Fact: Blu-ray is tracking faster than DVD at this point in its life. Fact: HD DVD is totally sucking air sales-wise. Fact: You always come in here to talk shit to Blu-ray people, but always disappear when all of the good Blu-ray news and bad HD DVD news surfaces.

You know how this format "war" is going, and you know how it's going to end. Stop pretending.

LOL talk shit? You are way to emotionally invested in this. I acknowledge blu-ray is winning. I've even said that if blu-ray wins I'll get a blu-ray player or a combo player. As for the other guy I never said the format matter war is not affecting the adoption rate "AT ALL" I know it is affecting it somewhat but not to a large degree. I doubt millions and millions of consumers are just sitting on the fence for this thing to pan out. Like I said J6P is happy with his cheap $40 DVD player and his $10 movies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Costanza said:
Picked up 300 at Target this morning on BD for 24.99 (cheapest I've ever paid for an HD disc...).

:D Can't wait to watch it.

Poor soul. No Fry's, eh? About 90% of their HD discs are $19-$24.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Warner may be double dipping the Blu-Ray 300:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...lanning_Extras-Laden_300_Blu-ray_Re-Issue/828

'300' may only hitting store shelves today, but already there's talk of a possible upcoming Blu-ray re-issue.

Hitting DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray today as perhaps the most highly anticipated release of the summer, all three disc editions include a slew of supplementary materials, but the HD DVD edition includes several exclusive interactive and web-enabled features that were apparently not quite ready for prime time on its Blu-ray counterpart.

But while Warner threw in an additional uncompressed audio track exclusively for Blu-ray fans this go-around seemingly as a make-good for the lack of whiz-bang supplements, it seems the studio may have grander plans for '300' on Blu-ray in the future.

Deborah Snyder, the film's executive producer (and wife of '300' director Zack Snyder) revealed at a Comic-Con panel last week that indeed an in-movie experience feature for the Blu-ray edition of the film wasn't yet ready for this week's release. Later, according to an article in Home Media Magazine, she went further, saying "I think there's going to be another Blu-ray special edition later on."

Granted, Snyder's statements are far definitive, and should only be taken as what they are -- off-hand anecdotal comments. But with sales for the current Blu-ray edition at an all-time high (for a high-def disc) of #2 on Amazon's overall top selling DVDs list (behind only the standard-def DVD release of '300'), it certainly doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that Warner might chose to return to the well with an even more tricked-out high-def edition at some point in the future.

thaivo

Wow... Then again, most BD supporters have been saying they don't need the extra features, so I expect most to say that they don't care (even though such a thing has gotta get under your skin):lol .

It's not confirmed anyway.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
thaivo said:
Wow... Then again, most BD supporters have been saying they don't need the extra features, so I expect most to say that they don't care (even though such a thing has gotta get under your skin):lol .

Um movie studios double dip all the time, its nothing new by any stretch of the imagination.
And no it doesnt bother me ill buy my copy today and be happy with it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Days like these... said:
As for the other guy
kaching. Hi. Not like my post is pages away or my name is particularly hard to remember or spell.

I never said the format matter war is not affecting the adoption rate "AT ALL"
You accused Chemo of spreading FUD for suggesting that it was affecting adoption rate though.

I know it is affecting it somewhat but not to a large degree. I doubt millions and millions of consumers are just sitting on the fence for this thing to pan out. Like I said J6P is happy with his cheap $40 DVD player and his $10 movies.
Nevermind "millions and millions" - when each type of standalone player has only sold in the hundreds of thousands and when each movie release only reaches sales measured in tens of thousands, the format war could be affecting uptake by a "large degree" simply by holding tens of thousands back from adopting one or the other. Degree is relative.

djkimothy

thaivo said:

Until it reaches George Lucas proportions, this is a non-issue and is done all the time.

Unless the PQ/AQ is bumped up, won't be bothering.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
kaching said:
kaching. Hi. Not like my post is pages away or my name is particularly hard to remember or spell.

You accused Chemo of spreading FUD for suggesting that it was affecting adoption rate though.

Nevermind "millions and millions" - when each type of standalone player has only sold in the hundreds of thousands and when each movie release only reaches sales measured in tens of thousands, the format war could be affecting uptake by a "large degree" simply by holding tens of thousands back from adopting one or the other. Degree is relative.

Sorry kaching I didn't bother to see who had written the post (no disrespect meant). Chemo would like to place the blame for the slow adoption rate squarely on HD DVD and that is simply not true which is why I called his post FUD.

Which do you think is the bigger factor slowing adoption rate price? or the format war?

djkimothy

Days like these... said:
Sorry kaching I didn't bother to see who had written the post (no disrespect meant). Chemo would like to place the blame for the slow adoption rate squarely on HD DVD and that is simply not true which is why I called his post FUD.

Which do you think is the bigger factor slowing adoption rate price? or the format war?

You know you're right. I blame Universal.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Costanza said:
Picked up 300 at Target this morning on BD for 24.99 (cheapest I've ever paid for an HD disc...).

:D Can't wait to watch it.

Ouch, 75% of my HD purchases have been < $15 thanks to Frys.

Does anyone know if Frys is selling 300 for cheap today? Or any other retailers that have a deal on it?

djkimothy

Eggo said:
Ouch, 75% of my HD purchases have been < $15 thanks to Frys.

Does anyone know if Frys is selling 300 for cheap today? Or any other retailers that have a deal on it?

Garrr! What is this Frys? I have to rely on Best Buy. :(

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
djkimothy said:
Garrr! What is this Frys? I have to rely on Best Buy. :(

Find a Fry's their prices are usually just as cheap as amazon. I think I'll pick up (blind buy) Hot Fuzz today I've heard good things about that movie. I didnt care for 300 still might pick it up if Fry's has it for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom