• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i never saw spiderman 3. i guess i'll buy the set -- 2 is the only superhero movie i really like, and the first one was alright too. 3 can't be as bad as the matrix sequels...can it? :/

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Bebpo said:
Why is Spiderman 3 solo retailing at $49.99 MSRP?

Holy shit. And people complain about $39.99 MSRP for HDDVD/DVD day-and-date combos...

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
TAJ said:
Holy shit. And people complain about $34.99 MSRP for HDDVD/DVD day-and-date combos...

Fixed and unless I'm mistaken it doesn't even have bdj interactive content does it? I'm sure plenty of people in this thread will readily bend over for sony and just wait till they implement drm. Woo Hoo good times indeed!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Days like these... said:
Fixed and unless I'm mistaken it doesn't even have bdj interactive content does it? I'm sure plenty of people in this thread will readily bend over for sony and just wait till they implement drm. Woo Hoo good times indeed!

I don't think we know if it does or does not.

neojubei said:
Fantastic four 2 disagrees with you

:lol

Wollan

DarkJediKnight said:
3993.jpg

SOLD.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Days like these... said:
You somehow overlooked HD-DVD fans in your little assessment of things. Unless of course, you were trying to stealth troll?

You guys are included as part of format war fanboys.

As in, people that want or don't mind the fact that there is a format war.

I was playing around with the calibration on my TV while watching my Crank Blu-Ray and as I adjusted the sharpness I noticed several vertical lines, about an inch apart, running vertical down the image. I had to get in fairly close to notice them but now I see them no matter what. They were all across the image from top to bottom of the screen and I've never seen anything like it before. This only happens with Crank so I wonder if it is a problem with the disc itself?

Anyone ever noticed this?

DoctorWho said:
I was playing around with the calibration on my TV while watching my Crank Blu-Ray and as I adjusted the sharpness I noticed several vertical lines, about an inch apart, running vertical down the image. I had to get in fairly close to notice them but now I see them no matter what. They were all across the image from top to bottom of the screen and I've never seen anything like it before. This only happens with Crank so I wonder if it is a problem with the disc itself?

Anyone ever noticed this?

Sounds like your TV has vertical banding. Try to switch between 720p and 1080i to see if you can still see them.

What TV model do you have?

The Main Event said:
Sounds like your TV has vertical banding. Try to switch between 720p and 1080i to see if you can still see them.

What TV model do you have?

LC37D40U - Sharp Aquos.

But I only notice it on the one title? Hmm, I'll give what you said a shot.

DoctorWho said:
LC37D40U - Sharp Aquos.

But I only notice it on the one title? Hmm, I'll give what you said a shot.

Yeah my friend also has a Sharp LCD (it's not an Aquos though) and he noticed vertical banding in some movies and especially when going into the Playstation Store when the page is loading and everything is grey. He was running it in 1080i but on 720p he couldn't see them.

Hope it works for you.

The Main Event said:
Yeah my friend also has a Sharp LCD (it's not an Aquos though) and he noticed vertical banding in some movies and especially when going into the Playstation Store when the page is loading and everything is grey. He was running it in 1080i but on 720p he couldn't see them.

Hope it works for you.

I just retried it now, and I don't notice anything on 720p. That is what I was running it on yesterday when I noticed the lines. They were there I tell you!! Oh well, I'm just glad they're gone.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone know of a bricks and mortar retail store that doesn't charge rape-prices for new HD DVDs and Blu Rays?

calder

anyone know if Dexter s1 will be out on BD or hddvd for that matter?
more than anything else tv shows in hd will get me to spend a lol on highdef

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Warner Bros. store is offering 25% off all orders (including preorders) through August 6th with promo code TVWS, and free shipping on all orders over $60. Their prices are already discounted a bit below MSRP, so there are loads of deals, espeically on HD/BR releases, available with this sale -- AND they always ship early, so you'll have new releases nearly a week before the actual street dates.

I ordered:

2001: A Space Odyssey: Special Edition HD-DVD
Price $14.96 (Savings $4.99)

Eyes Wide Shut: Special Edition HD-DVD

Shining, The: Special Edition HD-DVD

Popeye The Sailor: 1933-1938 Volume One DVD
Price $37.47 (Savings $12.48)

Sony Insider Paidgeek confirmed!

Originally Posted by paidgeek
SM1 will have 24bit Dolby THD, but the original audio source was 16bit.

SM2 will have 24bit Dolby THD from a 24bit master

SM3 will have 24bit Dolby THD and 16bit LPCM.

Music to my ears.

drohne said:
i never saw spiderman 3. hiccup! 3 can't be as bad as the matrix sequels...can it? :/

I just saw it recently and it was surprisingly good. I was completely indifferent about the other two, however I enjoyed this one for a couple of reasons; which I could more adequately relate once you've seen it for yourself.

Dick Peter rox! :lol

Reave

Chemo said:
Man, this is total BS. Most satisfying movie I've seen this century.
I have to admit that I didn't really find it too funny myself, but wrong thread for that discussion.

YYZ

Two questions.

When is Paprika coming out on BD in North America? Is there going to be more anime in high def coming soon?

Anyone in Canada order online? I checked Amazon.ca and the prices are very similar to Wal-Mart/Futureshop/Best Buy. I think the bigger savings are there for Americans. With shipping too, I won't be saving much if anything at all.

el Diablo

Banned
Only wow factor for me is how bad that DVD version looks. The HD-DVD version looks about the same as other top tier BD/HD-DVD stuff but that DVD pic looks horrible, looks like some kind of highly compressed XVID theater cam version.

Bebpo

Banned
el Diablo said:
Only wow factor for me is how bad that DVD version looks. The HD-DVD version looks about the same as other top tier BD/HD-DVD stuff but that DVD pic looks horrible, looks like some kind of highly compressed XVID theater cam version.

Actually I've heard the DVD version is top-tier DVD. Which makes sense since it's using the top-tier HD master as a base.

Duderz

Banned
YYZ said:
Two questions.

When is Paprika coming out on BD in North America?

I asked a Sony Blu-Ray rep. at Comic-Con this very question, and he gave me the standard answer of Sony not having announced a date yet.

And then told me to "think about September."

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Hotarubi said:

SOLD!

Holy Cow, great prices and movies!!

BTW, for all you guys waiting for DJK to pay up on his 300 bet, The HD-DVD version has definitely sold better than the BR one the last couple days at my store...so keep your fingers crossed. :p

YagizY

Hotarubi said:
The Warner Bros. store is offering 25% off all orders (including preorders) through August 6th with promo code TVWS, and free shipping on all orders over $60. Their prices are already discounted a bit below MSRP, so there are loads of deals, espeically on HD/BR releases, available with this sale -- AND they always ship early, so you'll have new releases nearly a week before the actual street dates.

I ordered:

Popeye The Sailor: 1933-1938 Volume One DVD
Price $37.47 (Savings $12.48)

Do they charge you when they send of your pre-ordered dvd or at the time you pre-order. Because I am debating getting the 5 disc Bladerunner set on hd-dvd for 59.95 but I am strapped for the cash right now.

cvxfreak

+1 300 HD-DVD here.

My brother bought it at Best Buy, where he saw the 300 shelf and no HD-DVD version (BD version was there though). He told me that for some reason it was on a different shelf. The thing is, he was about to get the BD version, but I told him of the HD-DVD's advantages, so good thing he looked.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
YagizY said:
Do they charge you when they send of your pre-ordered dvd or at the time you pre-order. Because I am debating getting the 5 disc Bladerunner set on hd-dvd for 59.95 but I am strapped for the cash right now.

They charge when the item ships.

You're actually going to pay $30 more for that dumb briefcase packaging? The regular 5-disc HD version is $22.96 with the discount.

3928.jpg

Troy Director's Cut. First Blu-ray cover. Finally this damn movie hits Blu-ray. I actually really enjoyed the original. Except for the cheesy Brad Pitt love angle, it was pretty good.

Comes with Dolby True HD, which of course makes my day. :lol

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The Sphinx said:
Why is the DVD image blown up larger than the HD-DVD image?

Why do people fail to see the fallacy of this argument? IT'S THE SAME SIZE ON YOUR TV.

EDIT: I saw the explanation. This is in response to the people who claim "Of course DVD looks worse, it's blown up."

Petrarca said:
too bad the movie is boring

Jesus christ I can't take it anymore, you're an embrarassment to Sony fans. I didn't say anything in the other thread about movie dissapointments of 2007 when you only listed Universal movies but this is getting annoying. Seriously what's the difference between you and stupid xbox fanboys that only troll PS3 games? Yes Universal is making stupid decisions but bashing a great movie just because it's from Universal is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom