• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
jjasper said:
I said that because of the price. I just found it hard to believe that they would release a set of 5 BD/HDDVD's for that price.

Oh ok so does that mean 2 BD and/HD DVD and 3 DVD?

It will still be a Blu Ray disc, just the video itself will not be HD. The menus will be, etc...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Still touting deep color despite the lack of support for it.

Still, those players sound sexy. I want the HD-a30 or 35.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
hd-a35-r.jpg

Expected Pricing and Expected Availability:
HD-A3 ($299.99, October 2007)
HD-A30 ($399.99, September 2007)
HD-A35 ($499.99, October 2007)

Dang. These are nice. I may jump on the A-30 in September.

thaivo

VanMardigan said:
HAY GUYS, DIDYA MISS ME?!?:lol

Hopefully I get a free movie out of this, plus I wanted to tell ignatz: I found NOTHING here in Chicago as far as specials. I picked up 300 at Circuit City and they had some sort of card promotion going on. Other than that, I haven't found any specials. $20 catalog titles seem to be the cheapest I've seen. I'll keep checking.

Good to have you back. :D and +1 to 300 HD-DVD is a nice bonus too. DJK is likely shaking in his boots..

thaivo

StoOgE said:
hd-a35-r.jpg

Expected Pricing and Expected Availability:
HD-A3 ($299.99, October 2007)
HD-A30 ($399.99, September 2007)
HD-A35 ($499.99, October 2007)

Dang. These are nice. I may jump on the A-30 in September.

Looks slick. If it has a quicker boot time, I might consider upgrading, and giving my HD-D2 to my dad, to increase the ranks of HD-DVD supporters. :D

MSRP of $299.99 is very nice, hopefully it'll be possible to find one at $199 this Winter.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Thanks, thaivo, Days like these..., rubso, and Kleegamefan, it's nice to be back.

About the Warner deal, it's fantastic but unfortunately they wont' ship to where I live (USVI) despite having an option for it.

And about the Toshiba players, what happens to the 2nd gen line? Those 3rd gen players are priced VERY competitively, so does that mean that the 2nd gen line will be in the $99-$250 range by this holiday??

thaivo

VanMardigan said:
And about the Toshiba players, what happens to the 2nd gen line? Those 3rd gen players are priced VERY competitively, so does that mean that the 2nd gen line will be in the $99-$250 range by this holiday??

If they have the second gen players going for $99, I'd buy them as Christmas presents and spread the HD love around. :D

Honestly, I think this has been a part of Toshiba's strategy, that when they release the new players at these great prices, they would then cut present gen players significantly to increase installed based. This move, coupled with the 360 Add On being dropping, and possibly dropping further this holiday hopefully will mean nice numbers for HD-DVD.

Additionally, when the updated BD spec is released, it will be interesting to see how early BD stand alone adopters feel about their $1000 purchases. Are they likely to upgrade? I am guessing yes, but begrudingly so. I think that individuals inclined to plop down $1000 on a new format such as BD, are the same individuals who must have the newest and the best. For them, to have a gimpled system, even if it is only slightly gimped, will eat away at their souls. :lol

On the topic of BD 1.1 spec... other than the lack of an ethernet port, why can't current gen BD players be upgraded by firmware to support Java? Is it something so CPU intensive that current BD players couldn't handle it?

Costanza

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
20cfox.jpg

I want this movie. This is the Japanese release by Fox for Sept. Get off your ass and start releasing in North America!
BR discs from Japan work in American players, right? I might import this one.

Anyone know of good sites to get it from?

thaivo

Costanza said:
BR discs from Japan work in American players, right? I might import this one.

Anyone know of good sites to get it from?

Japan is not the best place to buy movies from because of the high prices for movies. I lived there for a year and a half, and was always rather shocked at the prices for movies. Most DVD's released were selling for around an equivalent of $40. I bought Monoke Hime for 4800 yen, that's around $40 dollars at the time.

Then again, going to the movies was also quite a bit more expensive than in the US (at that time US movie prices were around $6 - $7). Most theaters charged 1900 to 2100 yen per ticket = $16 to $18, it is likely more now.

A theater near me had a deal on the first Tuesday of every month, 1200 yen, which was around $10!

thaivo said:
Japan is not the best place to buy movies from because of the high prices for movies. I lived there for a year and a half, and was always rather shocked at the prices for movies. Most DVD's released were selling for around an equivalent of $40. I bought Monoke Hime for 4800 yen, that's around $40 dollars at the time.

Then again, going to the movies was also quite a bit more expensive than in the US (at that time US movie prices were around $6 - $7). Most theaters charged 1900 to 2100 yen per ticket = $16 to $18, it is likely more now.

A theater near me had a deal on the first Tuesday of every month, 1200 yen, which was around $10!

If it is currently only released in japan it really does not matter if Japan is not the best place to buy movies.
(I paid 75 for GITS: Innocence and will be paying close to the same for the first GITS)

thaivo

OokieSpookie said:
If it is currently only released in japan it really does not matter if Japan is not the best place to buy movies.
(I paid 75 for GITS: Innocence and will be paying close to the same for the first GITS)

Just sharing my impression of prices in Japan. If you don't mind paying $75 for a film, then that's fine I suppose. I didn't really like GITS: Innocence very much.

For anime, the only directors that's I've liked are Miyazaki (and most everything Studio Ghibli), Satoshi Kon and the studio that does Cowboy Bebop. I've liked only one of Otomo's films. That being said $75, I'd wait a few months rather than spend a 300% or more mark-up.

If DVD movies are that expensive, I wonder how much BD movies are?

Costanza

Banned
thaivo said:

I found Sunshine on Play-Asia for 46, only 16 bucks more than it'd be at Best Buy if it was ever released here. I just wanna make sure it's gonna work on my US PS3.

thaivo

Costanza said:
I found Sunshine on Play-Asia for 46, only 16 bucks more than it'd be at Best Buy if it was ever released here. I just wanna make sure it's gonna work on my US PS3.

It should work. BD regions lump US and Japan into the same region, and some BD disks don't have region coding at all.

Aren't most new BD releases available for around $20 - $25 dollars? = up to a $26 difference? Suppose it doesn't matter if you need it now though. :D

Costanza

Banned
thaivo said:
It should work. BD regions lump US and Japan into the same region, and some BD disks don't have region coding at all.

Aren't most new BD releases available for around $20 - $25 dollars?
= up to a $26 difference? Suppose it doesn't matter if you need it now though. :D
On Amazon, yeah. But that doesn't include shipping.

I really did love this movie but I dunno, I might just wait a few weeks and hope for an announcement from Fox.

yacobod

Banned
i got my 5 free blurays in the mail today from the rebate offer (underworld evolution, the devil's rejects, invincible, transporter 2, phantom of the opera)

it was like a 3 week turn around from sending in the rebate til gettin the movies, pretty impressive, i was thinking it would take 2-3 months

i sent my 5 free hd-dvd rebate about 2 months ago and still havent received anything back yet

whelp....went ahead and purchased Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Blu-ray off of Amazon after reading it has an outstanding transfer

...lets celebrate!...all 3 of us who appreciated it :D

rkenshin

AgentOtaku said:
whelp....went ahead and purchased Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Blu-ray off of Amazon after reading it has an outstanding transfer

Is that Thriller extra in 1080p too?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
yacobod said:
i got my 5 free blurays in the mail today from the rebate offer (underworld evolution, the devil's rejects, invincible, transporter 2, phantom of the opera)

Wow, you had to pick some really average movies. Hopefully you used the HD offer to pick some more classics up than this dreck.

yacobod

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
Wow, you had to pick some really average movies. Hopefully you used the HD offer to pick some more classics up than this dreck.

to be fair all the movies were kinda meh, i just picked movies that received good reviews for pq/aq

none of them were really appealing on either the brd or hd-dvd offers

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
You may be right, but I would much rather watch Casablanca, The Perfect Storm, Apollo 13, U-571, and The Rundown than any of those BD movies you got, so hopefully you chose wisely. :p

thaivo

Costanza said:
On Amazon, yeah. But that doesn't include shipping.

I really did love this movie but I dunno, I might just wait a few weeks and hope for an announcement from Fox.

Yep, Amazon and Fry's Electronics. Amazon has most movies shipped free as long as the total purchase is above $25, so that may require an additional purchase. Which is all I need... another reason to pick up more HD discs.

Sunshine looks really interesting to me, as I like Danny Boyle a lot. Although I heard that the "science" in the movie is making astronomers crazy.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Shitty movie,but damn Rosario Dawson's boobs make up for it.

sky

AgentOtaku said:

Ah, that would be a nice one to see in HD. Loved the visual style ... a real mix of east and west sci-fi. It looks like the extras are identical to the dvd release, though, from what I can tell. :/

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
DarkJediKnight said:
This is one of the coolest covers ever to one of the most over-hyped, poorly done epic ever!

No reason to skew things! HD is also getting this piece of shit. :lol

3563.jpg

I'll admit that with Sunshine, Blu-Ray finally has a title that makes me go, "Ohh, I want." But it'll probably end up on HD in some country or other. ;)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Blu-ray) is out tomorrow?

* English SDH
* English Subtitles
* French Subtitles
* Spanish Subtitles
* Portuguese Subtitles
* Chinese Subtitles
* Korean Subtitles
* Thai Subtitles

Sucks there is no Japanese subtitles.

YagizY

Put me down for +1 HD-DVD 300. With the 360 add-on reduced in price and with the offer with 5 free HD-DVD I couldn't stand aside and watch the format wars anymore.

rubso

Banned
YagizY said:
Put me down for +1 HD-DVD 300. With the 360 add-on reduced in price and with the offer with 5 free HD-DVD I couldn't stand aside and watch the format wars anymore.
I couldn't resist the new price, i've ordered it + 6 HD-DVDs + 5 free HD-DVD offer.
yacobod said:
wroooooong

SUPREME1

Banned
I believe I am one of the few who hasn't seen Alexander..

Aside from the 16% rating over at Rottentomatoes.com, is it really that bad?

Is ot so bad that not even the newer 'Alexander Revisited: Final Cut' (above) will make a difference? Or is it bad, but maybe this'll put it over into decent status?

What makes it so awful?

Opinions?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
ImperialConquest said:
I believe I am one of the few who hasn't seen Alexander..

Is ot so bad that not even the newer 'Alexander Revisited: Final Cut' (above) will make a difference? Or is it bad, but maybe this'll put it over into decent status?

Here's a trio of reviews by the same person: Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut, and "Revisited" Final Cut.

I've only seen the theatrical version, and contrary to my quip earlier, I don't actually think it's an all-out terrible movie, just misguided (and to an extent, mis-cast). You probably don't need to own it, but there's some merit in watching it once.

yacobod said:
while i agree with DJK that alexander is awful, but so was Troy

i doubt a DC of either will help

WHAT! Let Auf sum steem Bennet!

Troy wasn't a masterpiece but it wasn't terrible. The climax to the Trojan war was so well handled. Then it went to shit for a while because Brad Pitt decided to bang that Jessica Alba wannabee. It really slowed down the movie.

I challenge anyone to say that they didn't hold their breath during the Achilles/Hector fight.

The ending was also crappy and felt rushed. But overall, I enjoyed the movie.

The director's cut better have Helen getting gangbanged! Or I'm not buying. :D

Hotarubi said:
Here's a trio of reviews by the same person: Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut, and "Revisited" Final Cut.

I've only seen the theatrical version, and contrary to my quip earlier, I don't actually think it's an all-out terrible movie, just misguided (and to an extent, mis-cast). You probably don't need to own it, but there's some merit in watching it once.

I don't know about mis-cast. It was just cardboard performances all throughout. Angelina Jolie looked wayyyyy too young and hot to be Colin Farrel's mother. He's just 1 year younger than her.

But the kid who played young Alexander was a dead on for Colin.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:

Well the test screenings of Troy had nearly full frontal with her, but who knows of the director's cut will include that.

yacobod

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
WHAT! Let Auf sum steem Bennet!

Troy wasn't a masterpiece but it wasn't terrible. The climax to the Trojan war was so well handled. Then it went to shit for a while because Brad Pitt decided to bang that Jessica Alba wannabee. It really slowed down the movie.

I challenge anyone to say that they didn't hold their breath during the Achilles/Hector fight.

The ending was also crappy and felt rushed. But overall, I enjoyed the movie.

i actually liked Eric Bana's Hector more in the movie than Pitt's Achilles, i think that was a major problem for me in the film, pitt didnt work for me as Achilles, i think had they cast someone else in that role, i might have liked the movie more, i didnt buy brad pitt as a bad ass, he wasnt convincing in his role

that fight between them was good, as were some of the battle scenes were good too

yacobod said:
i actually liked Eric Bana's Hector more in the movie than Pitt's Achilles, i think that was a major problem for me in the film, pitt didnt work for me as Achilles, i think had they cast someone else in that role, i might have liked the movie more, i didnt buy brad pitt as a bad ass, he wasnt convincing in his role

that fight between them was good, as were some of the battle scenes were good too

You're supposed to accept that Achilles is God-like. He has to stand out. I thought him as Achilles was fine. A stark contrast to the more rugged, "soldier-like" Hector, who IMO was the star of the movie. My biggest complaint was that pansy Legolas as Paris. I can't stand that jackass! He ruins everything he's in. The best is to NOT LET HIM SPEAK MUCH - something Ridley Scott figured out in Blackhawk Down and Kingdom of heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom