• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrarca

Banned
fortified_concept said:
Jesus christ I can't take it anymore, you're an embrarassment to Sony fans. I didn't say anything in the other thread about movie dissapointments of 2007 when you only listed Universal movies but this is getting annoying. Seriously what's the difference between you and stupid xbox fanboys that only troll PS3 games? Yes Universal is making stupid decisions but bashing a great movie just because it's from Universal is ridiculous.

and somehow you failed to track my post where I mentioned how I wanted Bourne movies in blu-ray

embarassed? that's your ****ing problem! so just get off my ass, I like what I like, I don't give a shit what you think about it

yeah I should've added Hot Fuzz on my over-hyped 2007 movies list, and I'm not the only considering the movie made a WHOPPING 23 million bucks in the box office

Klotera

Can someone clarify for me? If the specs I read are correct and interpreted correctly by myself, the Spider-man Blu-Rays only have English audio in Uncompressed 5.1 and Dolby True HD. No standard DD.

Now, I know that the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive can decode Dolby TrueHD down to a standard DD output (or even DTS). I don't see anything to indicate that PS3 can. And, I don't understand True HD to be like DTS-MA where it has a standard DTS core that a regular DTS reciever can decode.

Can someone confirm if I am correct or incorrect on this one? I'd hate to be stuck with two-channel audio without having to buy a new reciever. Sounds like something they wouldn't be stupid enough to do - but they did pull that with Kung-Fu Hustle, from what I understand (only had uncompresed cantonese 5.1 - no DD or DTS 5.1 for the original cantonese).

Superman00

Liverpool01
fortified_concept said:
Jesus christ I can't take it anymore, you're an embrarassment to Sony fans. I didn't say anything in the other thread about movie dissapointments of 2007 when you only listed Universal movies but this is getting annoying. Seriously what's the difference between you and stupid xbox fanboys that only troll PS3 games? Yes Universal is making stupid decisions but bashing a great movie just because it's from Universal is ridiculous.

I don't like the movie much either and I like Shaun of the Dead. The movie was ok, but it wasn't as good as all the hype is telling me it is. The movie was pretty boring until the ending, thats the only reason I'm not calling it a shitty movie.

Chemo

Petrarca said:
yeah I should've added Hot Fuzz on my over-hyped 2007 movies list, and I'm not the only considering the movie made a WHOPPING 23 million bucks in the box office
So box office take is directly relevant to quality now?

Man, I guess I should throw out my Criterion Collection.

Petrarca

Banned
Chemo said:
So box office take is directly relevant to quality now?

Man, I guess I should throw out my Criterion Collection.

no. not quality. But people's preference IS.

and somehow fortified_concept doesn't understand the concept of how each individual has different preference

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Klotera said:
Can someone clarify for me? If the specs I read are correct and interpreted correctly by myself, the Spider-man Blu-Rays only have English audio in Uncompressed 5.1 and Dolby True HD. No standard DD.

Now, I know that the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive can decode Dolby TrueHD down to a standard DD output (or even DTS). I don't see anything to indicate that PS3 can. And, I don't understand True HD to be like DTS-MA where it has a standard DTS core that a regular DTS reciever can decode.

Can someone confirm if I am correct or incorrect on this one? I'd hate to be stuck with two-channel audio without having to buy a new reciever. Sounds like something they wouldn't be stupid enough to do - but they did pull that with Kung-Fu Hustle, from what I understand (only had uncompresed cantonese 5.1 - no DD or DTS 5.1 for the original cantonese).

Don't worry, it'll have DD 5.1 at least. That's the core of the BD spec.

Blasphemy

Petrarca said:
embarassed? that's your ****ing problem! so just get off my ass, I like what I like, I don't give a shit what you think about it

Don't worry about fortified_concept.

For someone who's just come off a ban for being a Sony troll he sure likes to point the finger :lol

Frankly his pretence of being unbiased is the embarrassment here when everyone knows otherwise.

Blasphemy said:

For someone who's just come off a ban for being a Sony troll he sure likes to point the finger :lol

Frankly his pretence of being unbiased is the embarrassment here when everyone knows otherwise.

WHAT? :lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Petrarca said:

For the sake of argument, Universal didn't give Hot Fuzz a fair shake; it never saw a release beyond 1,200 theaters -- roughly a third of the theaters a typical wide release gets these days.

Interestingly enough, Shaun of the Dead was released in exactly half as many (only 600 theaters) and made a bit more than half what Fuzz did. So they are consistent, if nothing else. :)

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Blasphemy said:

Now, now children play nice remember who the 'real' enemy is. ;)

On a more serious note when do the nielsen numbers come out?

I loved Hot Fuzz, it started off a bit slow but the second half payoff was definitely worth it.
I think you have to have some affection for british pacing and humor to really enjoy the movie, if you are just an action movie fan you will miss alot of the point.
Shawn and Fuzz are both must haves in any format.

justjohn

fortified_concept said:
embarrased for sony fans? wtf. petrarca is a huge blu-ray fan and doesnt hide it, what exactly is wrong with that

justjohn said:
embarrased for sony fans? wtf. petrarca is a huge blu-ray fan and doesnt hide it, what exactly is wrong with that

All I'm saying is that I find it annoying to see him troll only Universal movies all the time. I might have been kind of dramatic about it but the fact remains that he's not that different from the Sony haters who only troll PS3 games. Different sides of the same coin. Yeah I don't like Universal's decisions too since it prolongs this stupid format war which will eventually end, but I'm being honest about their movies.

Hot Fuzz rocks btw.

rubso

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
3928.jpg

Troy Director's Cut. First Blu-ray cover. Finally this damn movie hits Blu-ray. I actually really enjoyed the original. Except for the cheesy Brad Pitt love angle, it was pretty good.

Comes with Dolby True HD, which of course makes my day. :lol
great movie, I already have the first HD-DVD release, i don't mind buying the director cut .
as for the Dolby TrueHD tracks, the HD-DVD release has the DTHD tracks but
*lol poor guy doesn't have a next-gen surround system*

Klotera said:

The True HD tracks on Blu-ray discs have a core 5.1 640k track just like DTS MA.

Klotera

chubigans said:
Don't worry, it'll have DD 5.1 at least. That's the core of the BD spec.

Okay - that's good. I guess they got away with it on Kung-Fu hustle because they had DD in English (unfortunately, it's not the original language for that film so you can't watch in original language DD).

So, it is required to have DD of some sort on Blu-Ray. DVD allowed for 2ch PCM as opposed to DD (very seldom if ever was it used in place of DD, but was allowed).

Klotera

DarkJediKnight said:
The True HD tracks on Blu-ray discs have a core 5.1 640k track just like DTS MA.

Okay - I was trying to find that info, but it wasn't as clearly articulated in articles about True HD as it was in those about DTS MA. Also good news - as I'm not inclined to upgrade my sound system yet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
HAY GUYS, DIDYA MISS ME?!?:lol

Hopefully I get a free movie out of this, plus I wanted to tell ignatz: I found NOTHING here in Chicago as far as specials. I picked up 300 at Circuit City and they had some sort of card promotion going on. Other than that, I haven't found any specials. $20 catalog titles seem to be the cheapest I've seen. I'll keep checking.

Petrarca said:
So do I get everyone in 100-club preference correct?

Ignatz Mouse 423 ----------Blu-Team
DarkJediKnight 393 ---------Blu-Team
VanMardigan 372 -------------BANNED :lol (is he still banned?)
djkimothy 330 -----------Blu-Team
Onix 291 --------------Blu-Team
Petrarca 288 -----------Blu-Team
ManaByte 287 --------------Red-Team
jjasper 266 -----------------Blu-Team
captive 251 ---------------Blu-Team
StoOgE 245 -----------------Red-Team
The Main Event 205 --------------Red-Team
Crayon Shinchan 170 -------------Blu-Team
distantmantra 152 -----------------???
Suikoguy 149 ------------------Blu-Team
Chemo 129 ------------------Blu-Team
thaivo 127 --------------------Red-Team
Oni Jazar 120 -------------Blu-Team
mrklaw 104 -----------------Blu-Team

Blu-Team for me.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
VanMardigan said:
HAY GUYS, DIDYA MISS ME?!?:lol

Hopefully I get a free movie out of this, plus I wanted to tell ignatz: I found NOTHING here in Chicago as far as specials. I picked up 300 at Circuit City and they had some sort of card promotion going on. Other than that, I haven't found any specials. $20 catalog titles seem to be the cheapest I've seen. I'll keep checking.

Welcome back van:)

You may be from team red and I might be from team blu but we are all family here and its good to have our brother back :D

gigapower

The infamous Paidgeek has said:

"Run Lola Run" is presently scheduled for January, "Das Boot" for February.

As the members here will tell you, the schedule changes from time to time, so these may be moved to another date.

Both are day 1 purchases.

Azrael

Hotarubi said:
The Warner Bros. store is offering 25% off all orders (including preorders) through August 6th with promo code TVWS, and free shipping on all orders over $60. Their prices are already discounted a bit below MSRP, so there are loads of deals, espeically on HD/BR releases, available with this sale -- AND they always ship early, so you'll have new releases nearly a week before the actual street dates.

I ordered:

2001: A Space Odyssey: Special Edition HD-DVD
Price $14.96 (Savings $4.99)

Eyes Wide Shut: Special Edition HD-DVD

Shining, The: Special Edition HD-DVD

Popeye The Sailor: 1933-1938 Volume One DVD
Price $37.47 (Savings $12.48)

Good deal. Ordered Blade Runner, 2001, The Shining and Deliverance.

Kolgar

Run Lola Run? Excellent. Here's hoping for a great transfer and nice bonus features.

I finally unwrapped my HD DVD 300 tonight and enjoyed this kick-ass film once again. I'd ordered the disc a couple of weeks back but in the meantime, also bought the Blu-ray version as I'd started thinking the extra PIP features just weren't a big deal.

Sometimes, it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. :p

I started up the blue-screen PIP mode upon finishing the movie and I daresay my parents both seemed even more enthralled with this extra content than the movie itself. It was fascinating--a real treat for fans of the film as well as for fans of cinema in general--and a spectacular showcase of what next-gen movies are capable of.

If this is any indication of where movies are headed on optical discs, then I say we needn't worry about downloads taking over anytime soon. I'm sold, sold, sold a hundred times over.

Andy787

Banned
Hotarubi said:
The Warner Bros. store is offering 25% off all orders (including preorders) through August 6th with promo code TVWS, and free shipping on all orders over $60. Their prices are already discounted a bit below MSRP, so there are loads of deals, espeically on HD/BR releases, available with this sale -- AND they always ship early, so you'll have new releases nearly a week before the actual street dates.

I ordered:

Awesome. Amazing deal. I just ordered:

2001: A Space Odyssey: Special Edition (BD)

Departed, The (BD)
Price $20.21 (Savings $6.74)

Clockwork Orange, A: Special Edition (BD)

Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition (BD)
Price $14.97 (Savings $4.98)

More than $20 in savings after an already low list price + free shipping. Man, I hope they don't cancel the order or mess it up, it seems too good to be true. :p

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah, I ordered Blade Runner Special Edition, 2001, The Last Samurai, and The Shining, all on HD-DVD. Also saved more than 20 bucks. Great deal.

Aaron

Woah, nice deal. Anyone who doesn't own Planet Earth has no excuse now. I'm going for Blade Runner and a few back releases I haven't picked up yet.

I ordered:

Thanks for the heads-up. Oh and I like how the website is Blu-ray Blue colored. :D

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Forsete said:
Got my Brew-Ray 300. Going to watch it tonight, lets see if it is as overhyped as I think it is. :p

Not only is it overhyped but also way overrated. Not surprisingly, alot of gaffers love it what with all the sweaty mens, homoeroticism and misogyny I can see why. To each his own I suppose. Personally, I was bored to tears after the 2nd or 3rd battle.

jjasper

Has anyone noticed the Amazon listing for Blade Runner? The 5 disc Blade Runner Complete Collector's Edition is listed for both HD DVD and Blu Ray as $27.95 and the Ultimate is going for $69.95. It might just be me but that looks like it will be 1 Blu Ray and 4 DVDs. Looks like the Final Cut might be the only thing in HD.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
jjasper said:
Has anyone noticed the Amazon listing for Blade Runner? The 5 disc Blade Runner Complete Collector's Edition is listed for both HD DVD and Blu Ray as $27.95 and the Ultimate is going for $69.95. It might just be me but that looks like it will be 1 Blu Ray and 4 DVDs. Looks like the Final Cut might be the only thing in HD.

Why would it not be 5 Blu Ray or HD DVD discs? I think it's just you.

ManaByte

Gold Member
jjasper said:

All of the movies are in HD, the extras are in SD. And before any trolls start spewing HD-DVD FUD and blaming it for the SD extras; they say the extras are only in SD due to not having the time to get them all on HD.

ManaByte said:
All of the movies are in HD, the extras are in SD. And before any trolls start spewing HD-DVD FUD and blaming it for the SD extras; they say the extras are only in SD due to not having the time to get them all on HD.

Then delay it until it's done. I'm loving the HD extras on 300 and my Sony and Disney titles. At this point, there should be no 480i extras. Do a 720p transfer of extras at least.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-06-2007/0004639654&EDATE=

Toshiba takes the Hi Def movie experience to a whole new level with 24 frames per second support, CE-Link connectivity, High Bit Rate Audio capabilities and unmatched interactivity functionality

WAYNE, N.J., Aug. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba America Consumer Products,
L.L.C. ("Toshiba"), announced today its third generation of HD DVD players
for the U.S. market. Continuing to outpace the competition in sales of
dedicated high definition players and responding to increased consumer
demand, Toshiba revealed three new sleek and stylish models for an ultimate
HD home movie experience. With all three new models priced under $500
(MSRP), Toshiba is delivering a powerful line-up of HD DVD players designed
to meet the aggressive growth in demand for high definition TVs.

"With a majority market share in unit sales of next generation DVD
players, consumers are speaking loud and clear, and they are adopting HD
DVD as their HD movie format of choice," said Jodi Sally, Vice President of
Marketing, Toshiba's Digital A/V Group. "Because of the proven
manufacturing efficiencies of the HD DVD format, Toshiba can bring this
level of innovation in technology to a new generation of players with
cutting-edge functionality at affordable prices."

Building on the success of its first and second generation players, new
leading enhancements in select models in the third generation line include
an improvement in video performance with 1080p/24 frames per second (24p)
support. Movie films are traditionally captured at 24 frames per second and
select Toshiba third generation HD DVD players will be able to maintain
this frame rate allowing consumers to enjoy movies in their native frame
rate.

Also added to the line is "CE-Link" (HDMI(TM)-CEC) connectivity which
offers the capability to communicate with and control another CE device in
a whole new way. For instance, using "CE-Link" with "One Touch Play"
consumers will be able to turn on a CEC capable HDTV and a Toshiba HD DVD
player, and start playing a movie, with a single touch of a button on the
player remote.

Toshiba Third Generation HD DVD Models

Toshiba's third generation family starts with the entry level HD-A3
player featuring 1080i output capability. The other two new models,
Toshiba's HD-A30 and HD-A35, will output 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080p),
the highest HD signal currently available. Both models are capable of
outputing signals at 1080p/24 frames per second so consumers can enjoy
movies in their native frame rate. The HD-A30 and HD-A35 models also
feature "CE-Link" (HDMI-CEC), allowing two- way control between the HD DVD
player and a TV through an HDMI connection.

The top-of-the-line HD-A35 also adds support for Deep Color via HDMI
allowing compatible display devices to deliver outstanding video quality -
displaying millions of possible colors to billions of possible colors.

Additionally, the HD-A35 offers 5.1 channel analog output and High Bit
Rate Audio (up to 7.1 channel) via HDMI.
With content encoded in 7.1ch,
this advanced surround sound is achieved through the HDMI connection
bypassing the player's internal audio processor and sending the signal to a
7.1 capable A/V receiver. High Bit Rate Audio will allow the consumer to
integrate the HD-A35 with the latest multi-channel A/V receivers and enjoy
a whole new dimension of high definition home entertainment.

All of Toshiba's third generation HD DVD players are refined with new
cosmetic designs. Rounded edges, slim chassis (only 59.5 mm - nearly half
as tall as first generation players) and high gloss, black acrylic face
plates create very sleek devices - a perfect complement to Toshiba's award
winning REGZA(R) HD LCD televisions.

Beyond the Hi Def Movie Experience
Starting with 1st generation players, all of Toshiba's HD DVD players
support the enhanced features of the HD DVD format mandated by the DVD
Forum including picture-in-picture video, audio commentary and the ability
to allow web-enabled network capabilities. Using the Ethernet ports found
on all Toshiba HD DVD players, once connected to the network, users can
access bonus features, as available, from a movie studio's server. This
data is then saved in the player's persistent storage and can be accessed
by the user. In addition to accessing new bonus features, some HD DVD discs
may include locked prerecorded content which can be unlocked with a
downloadable key from the studio's online server. Web-enabled capability is
now opening the door to a new entertainment experience beyond hi def video
and audio.

"Consumers will always have a consistent experience with HD DVD as we
have an established platform to keep the players updated to ensure the
ultimate HD movie experience," said Yoshi Uchiyama, Group Vice President,
Toshiba's Digital A/V Group. "A mandatory Ethernet port in all HD DVD
players ensures that consumers can receive updates to their units to
support the latest offerings from the studios and maximizing their
investment in the format."

All of Toshiba's HD DVD models are backward compatible allowing users
to enjoy their libraries of current DVD and CD software while enhancing the
look of regular DVDs by upconverting them to near high definition quality.

For more information on HD DVD, please visit http://www.toshibahddvd.com.

Expected Pricing and Expected Availability:
HD-A3 ($299.99, October 2007)
HD-A30 ($399.99, September 2007)
HD-A35 ($499.99, October 2007)

Damn, just ordered an XA2...

jjasper

shantyman said:
Why would it not be 5 Blu Ray or HD DVD discs? I think it's just you.

I said that because of the price. I just found it hard to believe that they would release a set of 5 BD/HDDVD's for that price.

ManaByte said:

Oh ok so does that mean 2 BD and/HD DVD and 3 DVD?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Announcements like these give me hope for HD-DVD. As the two markets increase, if HD-DVD can remain a viable contender, and continue selling 40% of Blu-Ray with WB and Universal, they will probably be profitable. Universal should see being one of the lone HD-DVD exclusives as profitable, knowing that any HD-DVD release will have full exposure on the format. On blu-ray, they would have to battle with fluff and puff in the form of PotC movies, Spider-man, etc. Universal doesn't have huge box-office smashes to compete with those, nor have they for a long while. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom