• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DarkJediKnight said:
However, the Denon announcement pretty much cemented the fact that combo players are not going to be that common, especially a good one that fully utilizes both formats.

I'm the opposite, the Samsung announcement pretty much made me more confident in buying HD DVD's. I'm not sure what the Samsung can't do that the Denon can, but it seemed like a full featured player to me. I know for a fact that I won't be selling my HD DVD's now. My route now seems:

1. Get new TV or projector (hopefully this year, depends how much my home improvements end up costing)

2. Get Ps3 (hopefully this year, more likely next year)

3. Get 3rd Gen Toshiba (may actually happen before the Ps3 if I decide to sell my add-on)

4. Get new receiver (middle of next year, looking for a TrueHD/PCM 5.1 capable set at a good price)

5. Get dual format player (The Samsung at this point, this would probably take place late next year)

The Samsung UP5000 is essentially the BD1200 that also plays HD DVD movies. In other words, it's a good player. However, Samsung have been absolute shit in terms of firware updates. They took way too long to come up with a simple noise reduction reducer last year and still has no support for True HD and DTS HD (not MA since only the Denon does that so far). And I've seen pics of the 5000 and it doesn't support True HD even.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DarkJediKnight said:
And I've seen pics of the 5000 and it doesn't support True HD even.

Samsung says you're wrong.

Samsung_BD_Chart.jpg

thaivo

DarkJediKnight said:
Honestly, at this point, I'm having a REAL hard time gathering up the courage to buy a HD DVD movie. I'm gonna get Heroes, no matter what, but I do wish it was available on Blu-ray. CES 2008 isn't all that far away. If Universal does go neutral there, I can wait a few months for stuff that isn't "must have".

I respect your choice, but think it rather weird logic as you already have a player, and already have a (small?) library of HD-DVD's, and the Denon announcement somehow makes you not want to purchase titles that are only available on HD-DVD. I understand the issues with having multiple components hooked up to your TV, but Denon has very little to do with the viability of HD-DVD in most people's minds.

Why have the A20 just sit there? Perhaps you should think of selling it, to fund your Denon purchase. :D

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
thaivo said:
Why have the A20 just sit there? Perhaps you should think of selling it, to fund your Denon purchase. :D

Even worse, it's an XA2. Why have the player and be reticent or coy about buying movies? I agree with thaivo, just sell it if you're not going to take advantage by buying titles, including superior versions like the 300 HD DVD.

If you're going to keep it, might as well take advantage of all that HD DVD offers. You already took the more difficult decision and actually bought into the format, being a sissy about movies for it just seems backward.

bengraven

My roommate just picked up the HD-DVD player for 360 and DAMN, it looks nice.

I'm really, really tempted to pick one up, since the cheapest Blu-Ray player I've found was $480.

thaivo

bengraven said:
My roommate just picked up the HD-DVD player for 360 and DAMN, it looks nice.

I'm really, really tempted to pick one up, since the cheapest Blu-Ray player I've found was $480.

If you have a 360, I would recommend it whole-heartedly! Since I bought my HD-DVD player, movies have consumed all my free time. I rarely play my Wii anymore. :D

VanMardigan said:
Even worse, it's an XA2. Why have the player and be reticent or coy about buying movies? I agree with thaivo, just sell it if you're not going to take advantage by buying titles, including superior versions like the 300 HD DVD.

An XA2? Poor thing needs more love. I think it would be easy to find a loving home for it. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
thaivo said:
An XA2? Poor thing needs more love. I think it would be easy to find a loving home for it. :lol

No kidding. If he wants to sell it, I can provide a happy loving home for it..........for the right price.

thaivo

rubso said:
I already have Ultimate Matrix Collection, The Departed, Troy and Batman Begins which I'll re-buy it cuz i gave it to my friend who bought the HD-A2 from me =)

the HD-DVDs i've ordered with the add-on are Shaun of the Dead, 300, Hot Fuzz, Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, Batman Begins, and the King Kong Movie which is free and bundled with the add-on i guess?
I was going to order Darkman, but I'll buy it with Heroes Season 1.

Wow.. I completely agree with every one of your recent and prior purchases! :D That is a nice library of films. I see myself with 20 films by near the holidays (not counting the 5 free films).

Since you have the Departed, I would recommend that you pick up Goodfellas too. It doesn't have the same PQ, but it is a fantastic film that can be watched again and again.

Is Heroes worth it? I'm sure it's a great TV show, but I don't usually have time to watch all the movies I buy, much less a TV season. Also, do you think you would watch it more than once through?

bengraven

Wow, I didn't know there was such great films on HD-DVD. Maybe that's because they don't carry them in my area. :lol The last new release HD that was released was 300. Before that, it was MI-III. This is my other problem.

That and some of the companies that are supporting BluRay. I have a hard time imagining not watching Pirates of the Caribbean in HD.

Still, I ahve a 360 and the local Walmart is selling the add-on for only 169.

thaivo

bengraven said:
Wow, I didn't know there was such great films on HD-DVD. Maybe that's because they don't carry them in my area. :lol The last new release HD that was released was 300. Before that, it was MI-III. This is my other problem.

That and some of the companies that are supporting BluRay. I have a hard time imagining not watching Pirates of the Caribbean in HD.

Still, I ahve a 360 and the local Walmart is selling the add-on for only 169.

Yeah, there's no shortage of good films on either side really. The way some look at it is that because the cost of entry into HD for HD-DVD is much lower, they can purchase an HD-DVD player now (i.e., 169 at Walmart), and ultimately when BD is at a reasonable price, they can get that as well, and get their POC in HD. Unfortunately, or fortunately for me at least, I only liked the first one.

I'd say, if you have a 360 and a HDTV, not getting the add on is kind of a shame, because there's a lot of entertaininment potential you are missing. :D

Personally, I don't see myself buying a BD player, until somewhere in 2009, or when players are hovering around $150 or less. That is when I would go neutral, if ever.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
DarkJediKnight said:
Anyone want to predict the 300 split?

I can't tell if it's 250k sold to consumers or retailers. Let's assume it's to people's hands.

170k Blu-ray. 80k HD DVD.

185 Blu-ray 65 HD DVD

Remember Hot fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and Darkman were released the same day and they probably took some sales from 300. I know Hot Fuzz sold well my local BB was sold out and got the last copy @ Target.

I feel bad but I didnt buy 300.

bengraven

thaivo said:
Yeah, there's no shortage of good films on either side really. The way some look at it is that because the cost of entry into HD for HD-DVD is much lower, they can purchase an HD-DVD player now (i.e., 169 at Walmart), and ultimately when BD is at a reasonable price, they can get that as well, and get their POC in HD. Unfortunately, or fortunately for me at least, I only liked the first one.

I'd say, if you have a 360 and a HDTV, not getting the add on is kind of a shame, because there's a lot of entertaininment potential you are missing. :D

Personally, I don't see myself buying a BD player, until somewhere in 2009, or when players are hovering around $150 or less. That is when I would go neutral, if ever.

(OT, but I only liked the first and third one. :D )

See, my problem is that I'll eventually have to adopt BR. And then what? If BR really is the leader by a long shot, I don't see many players supporting both formats coming out.

I'm reminded of my family going through rummage sales trying to find a Betamax player in the late 80's because theirs broke and they wanted to watch Empire Strikes Back...

thaivo

bengraven said:

See, my problem is that I'll eventually have to adopt BR. And then what? If BR really is the leader by a long shot, I don't see many players supporting both formats coming out.

I'm reminded of my family going through rummage sales trying to find a Betamax player in the late 80's because theirs broke and they wanted to watch Empire Strikes Back...

I'm not going to tell you that HD-DVD is absolutely not going the way of Beta. Some here think me crazy, but I wouldn't say the same about BD either. Both formats have the potential to lose this format war. As it stands now, BD has the advantage, but I think most people in this thread will be surprised come January 2008, and the software parity between BD & HD-DVD is still around 60:40.

If you are wary, perhaps you should wait till after the holiday, and see where things stand. However, I think that the more you see of your friends HD-DVD AO, the more you will have a hankering to pick one up. :D

Captain N

I'll be picking up TMNT for bluray today..anyone know if hd-dvd has features we won't see in the Bluray release?

I'll also be picking up Disturbia on bluray

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
bengraven said:

By the end of this year (keep in mind that this will only be the second year of HD DVD), there will be three generations of Toshiba HD DVD players, an Onkyo player, an RCA player, a dual format LG player, and a kickass Samsung dual format player. Blu Ray has the CE advantage, but you won't have any issues finding HD DVD players.

Despite what some BD fanboys here wish for (mostly console format war mentality carried over), HD DVD doesn't appear to be going anywhere and the analyst consensus seems to be that both formats will co-exist for years, which means even more hardware being built for HD DVD.

I will probably end up going format neutral if Disney doesn't announce HD DVD support, but I'm not the least bit worried about finding hardware to play my movies on.

rubso

Banned
thaivo said:
Wow.. I completely agree with every one of your recent and prior purchases! :D That is a nice library of films. I see myself with 20 films by near the holidays (not counting the 5 free films).

Since you have the Departed, I would recommend that you pick up Goodfellas too. It doesn't have the same PQ, but it is a fantastic film that can be watched again and again.

Is Heroes worth it? I'm sure it's a great TV show, but I don't usually have time to watch all the movies I buy, much less a TV season. Also, do you think you would watch it more than once through?
I have Goodfellas on DVD, great movie I don't mind picking it up on HD-DVD.
as for Heroes, It's an excellent TV show, I couldn't watch all the episodes though >.< that's why I'm going to buy it on HD-DVD.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
thaivo said:
I'm not going to tell you that HD-DVD is absolutely not going the way of Beta. Some here think me crazy, but I wouldn't say the same about BD either. Both formats have the potential to lose this format war. As it stands now, BD has the advantage, but I think most people in this thread will be surprised come January 2008, and the software parity between BD & HD-DVD is still around 60:40.
lawls.

captive

thaivo said:
We will see who is laughing?:lol
Its already been discussed. But you really expect it to be 60:40 with Pirates 3, Spidy 3, the Simpsons, Die Hard4, and whatever else im forgetting against Bourne, and Knocked up?

Not to mention a few weeks ago when blu-ray had 0 releases HD DVD couldnt do anything better than 60:40.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is Boune going to be out this year? Either way, I still believe HD DVD can keep the current ratio throughout the holiday season. It all depends on how many hardware units Toshiba and MS (through the add-on) can move and there are still announcements on both sides that can shape the holiday season.

thaivo

captive said:
Its already been discussed. But you really expect it to be 60:40 with Pirates 3, Spidy 3, the Simpsons, Die Hard4, and whatever else im forgetting against Bourne, and Knocked up?

Not to mention a few weeks ago when blu-ray had 0 releases HD DVD couldnt do anything better than 60:40.

Not necessarily when those movies come out, but in January, after the holidays I can see the ratio still being 60:40. Which is what I stated in my posts.

thaivo

VanMardigan said:
you guys should make a ban bet and really make it interesting. :D

Like a permanent ban?

I'd be willing to bet a 2 week ban on the ratio at least hitting 60:40 sometime in January.:D

bud

thaivo said:
Like a permanent ban?

I'd be willing to bet a 2 week ban on the ratio at least hitting 60:40 sometime in January.:D

you should really bet a permanent ban. you'll even get a new awesome tag if you do so.

thaivo

VanMardigan said:
Two week ban is best,

are you both going to go through with it?

I'm game. Worst thing that could happen is that I have more time to dedicate to my law school courses.:lol

captive

VanMardigan said:
Two week ban is best,

are you both going to go through with it?
no

I'll bet a perma-ban that there will be a studio from the blu-ray camp that goes format neutral before January 1st, 2008.
Are you on crack? Or just dont want to stay at gaf?

justjohn

this is a joke right. this fall sales of the ps3 will increase signifcantly together with all the great blu-ray exclusives and somehow you think the ratio will be 60:40.
based on what exactly?

thaivo

xS1TH L0RDx said:
I'll bet a perma-ban that there will be a studio from the blu-ray camp that goes format neutral before January 1st, 2008.

Wow.. But who are you betting a perma-ban with? Then again, there may be quite a few BD supporters that would take it, I suppose.

Do you know something most of us don't? :D

justjohn said:
this is a joke right. this fall sales of the ps3 will increase signifcantly together with all the great blu-ray exclusives and somehow you think the ratio will be 60:40.
based on what exactly?

Based on the pricing of HD-DVD hitting mainstream prices of $199, and the uptick on 360 AO sales. That combined with the fact that although PS3 sales are increasing, game are getting better and more money will be dedicated to atcually buying games. I'm not saying my logic is flawless, but I see a 60:40 ratio happening. Again, I said that the ratio would be back around 60:40 sometime after the holiday season, not during the holiday season.

I also think that most of the mainstream would not want a PS3 as their primary movie player. Ultimately, in their eyes it is still a game system.

thaivo said:
Wow.. But who are you betting a perma-ban with? Then again, there may be quite a few BD supporters that would take it, I suppose.

Do you know something most of us don't? :D

Unfortunately I don't know anything (maybe that's the reason why I wagered what i did :D ), and I'll bet with anyone who'll take that bet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
captive said:

Meh, it seemed you were more than confident enough. This is all for fun anyway. Though the sith permaban bet was over the top. :lol

sith, don't do it. There won't be any moves (if any at all) until CES next year at the earliest. There may also be financial agreements we don't know about that prevent switching sides for now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sales ratio is an ok subject for a ban bet, but when you're talking about movie studios (and all the behind-the-scenes stuff that goes on), it's just not wise. Even if Universal, Fox, or Disney wanted to go neutral, there may be a dozen factors that prevent that from happening, so it's just not a good ban bet material.

VanMardigan said:
Sales ratio is an ok subject for a ban bet, but when you're talking about movie studios (and all the behind-the-scenes stuff that goes on), it's just not wise. Even if Universal, Fox, or Disney wanted to go neutral, there may be a dozen factors that prevent that from happening, so it's just not a good ban bet material.

:-\ so you wont take my bet?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
xS1TH L0RDx said:
:-\ so you wont take my bet?

I'm on the HD DVD side, so I wouldn't take that bet anyway, but knowing that:

1. Universal is on the HD DVD promotion group (so no move until at least CES)

2. Disney is now promoting Blu Ray (so no move until at least CES)

3. Fox is..............well no one really knows what's going on with Fox, but don't expecte any move from them this year either

I just think it's a terrible bet to make. Not that anyone would take you up on it anyway. You must have an alt account on gaf to propose a blind permaban bet as well.

VanMardigan said:
I'm on the HD DVD side, so I wouldn't take that bet anyway, but knowing that:
Hey me too. Well, kinda. I do own 4 blu rays but i have 35 hd-dvds
1. Universal is on the HD DVD promotion group (so no move until at least CES)
I don't think it's going to happen
2. Disney is now promoting Blu Ray (so no move until at least CES)
I think the chances of disney going multiformat are better than universal going multi...but i still don't think it's going to happen. That being said, I want it too, mainly for Pixar films.
3. Fox is..............well no one really knows what's going on with Fox, but don't expecte any move from them this year either
The only thing I really want from them is an HD Alien Box set. I dunno about other members of this thread, but that would make me a happy ****in camper.
I just think it's a terrible bet to make. Not that anyone would take you up on it anyway. You must have an alt account on gaf to propose a blind permaban bet as well.
It is a terrible bet to make, but like I said, I was bored and thought it would be a good chuckle.

Obviously there's no way possible for me to prove it to you, so I can only give you my word, but I am telling you with 100% honesty I do not have an alt, and will NOT create an alt.

SUPREME1

Banned
Are some of you fellas losing your nerve.. and getting a little scuurred?

I thought BluRay was this unstoppable media juggernaut?

I like the idea of a dual format existence. Me being from the purple team and all.

Either way,

I'd also like to bet a 2-week ban on HD DVD bettering 40/60 come Januray 1st.

Any takers?

**S1TH LORD**:
You dudes are crazy man.. those are some high stakes there. You sure you wanna do it?

ImperialConquest said:
**S1TH LORD**:
You dudes are crazy man.. those are some high stakes there. You sure you wanna do it?

Sure, why not? It'll make reading this thread along with any hd-dvd/blu-ray news a helluva lot more interesting, for me at least.:D

thaivo

ImperialConquest said:
Are some of you fellas losing your nerve.. and getting a little scuurred?

I thought BluRay was this unstoppable media juggernaut?

It is unstoppable if you read (and believe) the press releases... although it is curious when one realizes that the BDA has been making claims of HD-DVD's demise for quite some time. To me, it almost smacks of a growing dread or fear of a potential stalemate (or worse).

Perhaps it is also a sign that these tactics are losing some of their lustre and effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom