• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaivo

xS1TH L0RDx said:
thaivo, that is one sweet ****ing tag. :)

Yeah, just saw that... Thanks to EviLore?

Funny thing is, I used to love Pippy Longstocking movies. I'd pick them up if they were released on HD-DVD. :lol

rubso

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Is Boune going to be out this year? Either way, I still believe HD DVD can keep the current ratio throughout the holiday season. It all depends on how many hardware units Toshiba and MS (through the add-on) can move and there are still announcements on both sides that can shape the holiday season.
$100-$129 add-on + $99 for HD-A2 before the holiday season, that would be great. =D

thaivo

rubso said:
$100-$129 add-on + $99 for HD-A2 before the holiday season, that would be great. =D

While we're making crazy conjectures, I say all HD-DVD exclusive studios and format nuetral studios should stop pressing regular DVD's and move over to HD-DVD/DVD combo discs only (set at regular DVD prices). It would be a potential deathblow.

rubso said:

I need a new add on. the eject button on mine is pretty finnicky, and microsoft was too retarded to allow you to eject disc via remote.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
HD-DVD's themselves must come down in price with the players if they want to gain ground or at least firmly implant themselves into a longterm marketplace.

29.95 and 34.95 are FAR too expensive for mainstream movies and mainstream success. If all HD-DVD's were MSRP 19.99 or at WORST 24.95, they would also see increases in marketshare and sales overall. I see people at my store looking at Shooter's price of 29.99, Hot Fuzz at 29.99 (regular priced), and 300 at 34.95 (reg priced) and they say, 'no thanks.'

All the old catalog stuff needs to come down in price like DVDs do after time. Warner and Universal should get aggressive and give incentives to retailers who offer deals and lower prices, etc.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Crayon Shinchan said:
Over 50 consecutive posts of HD-DVD fans, and HD-DVD fans have somehow thought they've won the format war. Cute.
:lol

I paid $29 for 300 on blu-ray at best buy.

captive said:

I paid $29 for 300 on blu-ray at best buy.

i had to go to a mom and pop store and got it for 27.99. 34.99 is a little ridiculous.

i couldn't even find 300 on hd-dvd @ best buy, nor could i find disturbia on hd-dvd or blu-ray. I did see tmnt on blu-ray @ best buy though.

mollipen

AlteredBeast said:
HD-DVD's themselves must come down in price with the players if they want to gain ground or at least firmly implant themselves into a longterm marketplace.

29.95 and 34.95 are FAR too expensive for mainstream movies and mainstream success.

Why does this keep coming up? Everybody knows this, and it isn't like the exact same situation didn't happen with DVD. DVDs were expensive at first, more people purchased DVD players, DVD prices went down. More people purchased DVD players, the prices went down more.

Do some of you honestly think that when DVD launched, getting movies for $9.99 ~ $14.99 was what was common?

yacobod

Banned
i buy all my hd-dvds and brds from amazon, they are usually much cheaper than b&m stores, plus i get an additional 10% off on all hd media i purchase from there, with 0 sales tax

captive

Crayon Shinchan said:
I know you're not a HD-DVD fan :p But everyone except for you, before me was firmly in the HD-DVD camp.
Yea i know, thats why i thought it was funny. :D

thaivo

shidoshi said:
Do some of you honestly think that when DVD launched, getting movies for $9.99 ~ $14.99 was what was common?

It wasn't common at all. That is why it is so great the HDM has been getting such great deals lately. I mean $13.99 for the best version of Goodfellas & Unforgiven ever? Sold! I think we've been spoiled by low DVD prices, but HDM is actually quite competitive already. Considering inflation and how much more you get. I didn't flinch at all buying 300 for $28.99.

djkimothy said:
For what?

I'm referring to the constant barrage of BD has won the war: "Sony claims Blu-ray "winner" in format war" Feb 13th 2007

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/13/sony-claims-blu-ray-winner-in-format-war/

"Sony: Blu-ray Will 'Overwhelm' HD DVD" SEPTEMBER 14, 2005
http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/sep2005/id20050914_100626.htm

HD-DVD sure has been getting some significant releases for a dead format. :lol

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Crayon Shinchan said:
Over 50 consecutive posts of HD-DVD fans, and HD-DVD fans have somehow thought they've won the format war. Cute.

"Cute" is a thread full of people bickering over which niche format will when the niche war and become Almighty Niche Lord. I could care less which side wins, as I didn't pay much for my HD-DVD 360 drive to begin with and it already has enough movies released and down the pipe for me to be happy with it. When BluRay players get cheap enough, I'll likely get one of those as well. Then they can try to murder one another while I sleep.

rubso

Banned
yacobod said:
i buy all my hd-dvds and brds from amazon, they are usually much cheaper than b&m stores, plus i get an additional 10% off on all hd media i purchase from there, with 0 sales tax
amazon FTW

tedtropy

xS1TH L0RDx said:
I thought that was cute.

5y1um4z.gif

tedtropy

captive said:
Its "I couldnt care less" not i could care less.

That's loser talk, we're in this to win a war goddamit. I'm saving something for the great final battle so, for the moment, I could probably stand to care a little less.

thaivo said:
While we're making crazy conjectures, I say all HD-DVD exclusive studios and format nuetral studios should stop pressing regular DVD's and move over to HD-DVD/DVD combo discs only (set at regular DVD prices). It would be a potential deathblow.

Hello! The REAL point of HD was to make money where they weren't with DVD. They aren't making HD movies from the goodness of their hearts.

thaivo

DarkJediKnight said:
Hello! The REAL point of HD was to make money where they weren't with DVD. They aren't making HD movies from the goodness of their hearts.

I did preface my statement with "While we're making crazy conjectures..."

Many here may not like the combos, but I've used the DVD side of my 300 already.

My extended family has +40 DVD players, 2 HD-DVD players & 2 BD players (PS3's). So combos are a huge positive in my book, even with the niggling problems they had in the past with media + player compatibility.

djkimothy

thaivo said:
I did preface my statement with "While we're making crazy conjectures..."

Many here may not like the combos, but the underlying point is that I've used the DVD side of my 300 already.

My extended family has +40 DVD players, and 2 HD-DVD players & 2 BD players (PS3's). So combos are a huge positive in my book, even with the niggling problems they had in the past with media + player compatibility.

I don't think the DVD crowd will want to pay extra for a side they most likely will not use.

thaivo

djkimothy said:
I don't think the DVD crowd will want to pay extra for a side they most likely will not use.

I think that if the difference in price wasn't extreme, a good number of people would be curious of the option.

Yes, I know Studios are looking for better profit margins from HDM. I was mainly just sawing that such a move (however unlikely) would could end the format wars quite quickly.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
captive said:
I was wondering if someone was going to correct that.

But no one corrected the "couldnt" part, i am disappointed in you gaf.

Do it!

I was going to, but couldn't think of something to say about an aversion to apostrophes.

I'm gonna have to disappoint you 100 post guys by not buying you the Spiderman trilogy. :lol

Sales breakdown for 300 is as follows:

65% BD
35% HD

This info I received from WHV

Reliable source, and confirmed by editor of Hometheaterspot. So if the 250k amount is correct, it's 162.5k for Blu-ray and 87.5k for HD DVD. Nearly Double.

DarkJediKnight said:
I'm gonna have to disappoint you 100 post guys by not buying you the Spiderman trilogy. :lol

Reliable source, and confirmed by editor of Hometheaterspot. So if the 250k amount is correct, it's 162.5k for Blu-ray and 87.5k for HD DVD. Nearly Double.

popcorn.gif

Well, this should prove interesting.

captive

DarkJediKnight said:

snap.

While I can believe the 65:35 ratio, I'm having a hard time believing the 250k sales figure from Warner. If it's sold to retailers, it makes sense. Sales to consumers may actually be 150k or slightly higher. Still waiting for concrete evidence.

PS: Anyone else really annoyed by Warner's stupid menu system? Everytime a featurette ends, it goes into a section of the movie. All discs should have a title menu.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DarkJediKnight said:

Darnit :lol

captive

DarkJediKnight said:
While I can believe the 65:35 ratio, I'm having a hard time believing the 250k sales figure from Warner. If it's sold to retailers, it makes sense. Sales to consumers may actually be 150k or slightly higher. Still waiting for concrete evidence.

PS: Anyone else really annoyed by Warner's stupid menu system? Everytime a featurette ends, it goes into a section of the movie. All discs should have a title menu.
werent a lot of places/people reporting 300 sold out though? So if that is true even if warners 250k was shipped to retailers i woudlnt be surprised if sold through was close to shipped.
Of course thats all based off of people who were saying it was sold out at a lot of places.

Oni Jazar

The numbers are as expected. Also as stated it was an issue of supply. It will be interesting to see how the sales continue.

Good to hear the numbers early though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom