• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
I would say, only on a half baked profile would you need to cut your alloted space for the film (probably limiting each movie file to a smaller size than the HD DVD version) just to watch a feature that's been standard for over a year on the cheaper format.

You might have a point, but this is a multiformat release and likely uses the same encode on both versions - if you got a 20GB space advantage, use it, I say...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I got a nice package from UPS this morning with my "canceled" 2001 Bluray I ordered from Warner in August. The packing was hilarious. A box that could fit a large sized textbook with absolutely nothing but the movie in it, no packing peanuts or air bag cushions at all. I also ordered Clockwork Orange, but that was nowhere to be found in the box. It's canceled too, but maybe I will get something tomorrow :lol

At this point, the only way I'd buy a movie from Warner is if they were giving them out for free.

Flo_Evans

VanMardigan said:
I would say, only on a half baked profile would you need to cut your alloted space for the film (probably limiting each movie file to a smaller size than the HD DVD version) just to watch a feature that's been standard for over a year on the cheaper format.

:lol except the transfer on HD-DVD and Blu-ray are one in the same.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Argyle said:
You might have a point, but this is a multiformat release and likely uses the same encode on both versions - if you got a 20GB space advantage, use it, I say...

except the transfer on HD-DVD and Blu-ray are one in the same.

That means, that the space allocated for the movie was less than 20GB, or that the original movie plus extras didn't fill the HD30 on the HD DVD version. So we got a gimped version of the movie just so you guys could get PiP?!?!?!? *pretends to be angry* :lol

Now we know how you Blu boys feel on every other multiplat release. :D

Fëanor

Oni Jazar said:
No, not unless the discs are region free.

People at AVS are now saying that it's Spain's "April Fool's Day" so it may be fake. LAME-O I was hoping we'd hear something from New Line @ CES.

It is man. Don't believe the news!!

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
That means, that the space allocated for the movie was less than 20GB, or that the original movie plus extras didn't fill the HD30 on the HD DVD version. So we got a gimped version of the movie just so you guys could get PiP?!?!?!? *pretends to be angry* :lol

Now we know how you Blu boys feel on every other multiplat release. :D

Or, if you thought about it some more, you'd realize that the main feature is gimped because it has to fit on an HD-30 with SD extras running at the same time.

Another thing to consider is that the quality settings are probably turned way down for the second copy of the movie with PiP enabled (this was true with Crank, which used a similar technique), so it's not safe to assume that a second copy of the movie will take the same amount of space.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Argyle said:
Or, if you thought about it some more, you'd realize that the main feature is gimped because it has to fit on an HD-30 with SD extras running at the same time.

You don't know how PiP works, do you? It's nothing like having two HD versions of a movie, or a full length SD piece, for that matter.

And how about it, flo, does the PiP version of the movie look worse than the version without?

Sylar

Banned
Got my HDDVD player today! :D

Popped in Blade Runner to see it, it looks a little better, but I'm using a SDTV and can't wait to make the jump! :D :D :D

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
You don't know how PiP works, do you? It's nothing like having two HD versions of a movie, or a full length SD piece, for that matter.

And how about it, flo, does the PiP version of the movie look worse than the version without?

I think it is you who does not know how PiP works. As implemented on HD DVD it is an SD video stream that is interleaved with the main video stream and thus needs to be taken into account when looking at the total bandwidth used - something which is already inferior on HD DVD.

If there is a PiP commentary running for the full length of the movie, it will take up the same amount of additional disc space as a full length commentary running standalone. Even if it only appears at certain points, you can't exceed the total bandwidth coming off the disc when it is active, meaning that you may need to sacrifice some main program bitrate in order to squeeze PiP in.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Flo_Evans said:
hey did no one notice that pan's labyrinth blu-ray is 1.1 compatible? It has PiP commentary! w00t! ...

This 'feature' sucks! I don't need Guillermo Del Toro's fat ass taking up 1/4 of my screen to know its him talking. I can't believe that HD-DVD made such huge deal out of having this before blu-ray. Now that both sides have it can we finally admit that as movie fans, we don't like pop up shit taking over the screen??

That is part of it, but some of the cooler stuff is when they show production stills, or green screen stuff, or show you how a seen was shot while you watch it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sylar said:
Got my HDDVD player today!

Popped in Blade Runner to see it, it looks a little better, but I'm using a SDTV and can't wait to make the jump! :D :D :D

Instead of putting your money towards an HDTV, you purchased a piece of equipment with an uncertain future? Why?

And I absolutely would have said the same thing if it was a Blu-ray player, so allow me to cut some of you off at the pass.

Chiggs said:
Instead of putting your money towards an HDTV, you purchased a piece of equipment with an uncertain future? Why?

Maybe he didn't do it 'instead of', he's just not doing it in the typical sequence. Given $98 deals and the like, it wouldn't be unusual.

That's just what I assumed.

Chiggs

Gold Member
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Maybe he didn't do it 'instead of', he's just not doing it in the typical sequence. Given $98 deals and the like, it wouldn't be unusual.

That's just what I assumed.

Well, I guess if it was cheap enough. Just seems sort of odd. But, hey, it's his money.

Oni Jazar

Ratio from 2 weeks ago (delayed):

93849076_o.jpg

Flo_Evans

VanMardigan said:

It looks the same to me. Overall I am not to happy with this disc. They did noise reduction to reduce the grain for us silly Americans and it kind of kills the little details. :(

tin foil hat: or maybe they had to do DNR on it so that the 2 versions would fit on the bluray?

here is the EU release HD-DVD

http://www.image-load.eu/out.php/i13894_panfrenchhddvd1.PNG

and the USA HD-DVD with DNR :(

http://www.image-load.eu/out.php/i13887_panbd2.png

puntas!

Walshicus

Okay, bought a few more HD-DVDs cheap today. The collection is now [in order of purchase]:

King Kong
Syriana
Serenity
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Blade Runner
Corpse Bride
Last Samurai
The Manchurian Candidate
Planet Earth - Five Disc Boxset

Is there anything blaringly obvious I'm missing out on, given my film taste as above? I do plan to get the BSG boxset as soon as it gets an EU release, and will get Star Trek series 1 when it's not so fucking expensive.

so I'm seeing people talking about a $20 coupon if you buy 3 blu-rays @ BB on CAG but no one is linking to said coupon. Any info here?

nm, found it.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5381/20off3blurayri0.jpg

edit1:
6uh9t3o.jpg

found this on my door step just now. uh, wth? Now I have two copies of Blade Runner and still no charge on my credit card. If they send me the Ocean's Giftset for free too I'll be amazed. I'm keeping this one just in case I do get charged for it eventually...don't want to be charged twice for something.

edit2: actually, I figured it out. The first BR was from an order earlier in the year that was accidentally canceled because of a credit card error (namely, I canceled the card because someone stole my wallet) and the second BR is from the second order I made with BR and Ocean's Giftset (which is still back-ordered, hence the B/O on the invoice). I can't believe that the giftset is still back-ordered!

DoubleTap

Sir Fragula said:
Okay, bought a few more HD-DVDs cheap today. The collection is now [in order of purchase]:

King Kong
Syriana
Serenity
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Blade Runner
Corpse Bride
Last Samurai
The Manchurian Candidate
Planet Earth - Five Disc Boxset

Is there anything blaringly obvious I'm missing out on, given my film taste as above? I do plan to get the BSG boxset as soon as it gets an EU release, and will get Star Trek series 1 when it's not so fucking expensive.

The Bourne films perhaps?
Sleepy Hollow

Sylar

Banned
I got a free $20 BB "We're Sorry Your Order Didn't Get Before December 24th" digital thingy today
I ordered the item on the 25th! :O
, and spent it on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind!

I also bought Oceans Thirteen earlier!

cool_dude

Banned
Don't post much, but "Wow!" at Bourne Trilogy on HD-DVD. Also got TMNT, Planet Earth, and Batman Begins. Looking forward for more movies in 2008!

oatmeal

Banned
Picked up Pan's Labrynth (Blu-Ray) today (And Entourage Season 3 Pt. 2).

I wanted to see the PiP stuff and I only meant to watch it for a minute to see it, but I ended up watching for a half hour before getting kicked out of the basement by my sister. What a cool feature! I can't wait for more and more titles to get it.

What current BR titles have it?

Crank...Pan's Labrynth...

what else?

oatmeal

Banned
BTW,

I have a Sony KDSA2000 at my place which is full 1080p. But I'm at home for Christmas and I bought the PS3 that I'm using as a BR player here so I haven't tested it on my TV at home, I'm using a 60" Sony SXRD (the first gen model that came out in '05) and it only goes up to 1080i.

With DVD's upscaled and videogames, I have noticed the SXRD to have a nicer picture, better contrast, etc. But with the Blu Ray's should I expect that going to 1080p on the A2000 it will be a jump up at all?

djkimothy

oatmeal said:
Picked up Pan's Labrynth (Blu-Ray) today (And Entourage Season 3 Pt. 2).

I wanted to see the PiP stuff and I only meant to watch it for a minute to see it, but I ended up watching for a half hour before getting kicked out of the basement by my sister. What a cool feature! I can't wait for more and more titles to get it.

What current BR titles have it?

Crank...Pan's Labrynth...

what else?

i think he decent has PiP

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
XMonkey said:
I got a nice package from UPS this morning with my "canceled" 2001 Bluray I ordered from Warner in August. The packing was hilarious. A box that could fit a large sized textbook with absolutely nothing but the movie in it, no packing peanuts or air bag cushions at all. I also ordered Clockwork Orange, but that was nowhere to be found in the box. It's canceled too, but maybe I will get something tomorrow :lol

At this point, the only way I'd buy a movie from Warner is if they were giving them out for free.

Same thing with my Blade Runner package, apparently the order had been cancelled like 2 months ago, yet still got here in a huge box...luckily the discs were still tightly in their spots when I opened it. :)

YagizY

bune duggy said:
so I'm seeing people talking about a $20 coupon if you buy 3 blu-rays @ BB on CAG but no one is linking to said coupon. Any info here?

nm, found it.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5381/20off3blurayri0.jpg

edit1:
6uh9t3o.jpg

found this on my door step just now. uh, wth? Now I have two copies of Blade Runner and still no charge on my credit card. If they send me the Ocean's Giftset for free too I'll be amazed. I'm keeping this one just in case I do get charged for it eventually...don't want to be charged twice for something.

edit2: actually, I figured it out. The first BR was from an order earlier in the year that was accidentally canceled because of a credit card error (namely, I canceled the card because someone stole my wallet) and the second BR is from the second order I made with BR and Ocean's Giftset (which is still back-ordered, hence the B/O on the invoice). I can't believe that the giftset is still back-ordered!

Same thing happened to me. Still haven't been charged for my canceled order.

mollipen

Pachinko said:
Hey guys, so I was reading wikipedia about the betamax VS VHS format war to see how long THIS format war could go on for.

I'd argue that that situation has absolutely nothing to do with HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray, and can't at all be used to draw any conclusions.

VHS vs. Beta, at least at first, was about recording TV, not pre-recorded content. If you purchased a Beta machine, so long as you could find a supply of blank tapes, the machine could still be all you need if your need wasn't pre-recorded content. Thus, Sony could still justify selling Beta machines even beyond a point when little to no pre-recorded content was being supplied.

Completely different case in HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray. If Warner goes blue, then all HD-DVD has is Universal, Paramount, and Dreamworks (from the big guys). An HD-DVD or Blu-ray player lives or dies by what titles are not only out for it currently, but coming out in the future. With the balance of release titles that resulted in the move of Warner to blue (if that were to happen), no way would HD-DVD survive another six years or so. No way in the world. Without a wide variety of new content coming along, either format is completely useless, unlike a VHS or Beta machine.

I'm a huge movie fan and I really want to make the high definition jump, but I can't justify spending money on a format that may or may not last. I'm a college student and I don't have the income to gamble like that. When is Warner going to make their decision? I just wish this so-called "format war" would hurry up and resolve itself. I'm one of many people that is lurking in the shadows, hoping that someone will throw up a white flag.

Jirotrom

Absinthe said:
I'm a huge movie fan and I really want to make the high definition jump, but I can't justify spending money on a format that may or may not last. I'm a college student and I don't have the income to gamble like that. When is Warner going to make their decision? I just wish this so-called "format war" would hurry up and resolve itself. I'm one of many people that is lurking in the shadows, hoping that someone will throw up a white flag.
well... i got a HDDVD player for 80 bucks and came to the conclusion that if HDDVD fails i'll be able to buy a ton of HDDVD media at bargain bin prices. If everything goes purple, the competition will keep the deals going and prices lower.

Jirotrom said:
well... i got a HDDVD player for 80 bucks and came to the conclusion that if HDDVD fails i'll be able to buy a ton of HDDVD media at bargain bin prices. If everything goes purple, the competition will keep the deals going and prices lower.
Exactly, I'm currently using my PS3 and even if the format fails I'll still have my PS3 around for other things along with a collection of BD movies at huge discount prices.

centracore

I just received my new copy of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl on Blu-ray with the framing issue corrected from Disney. That was seriously top notch customer service, they sent out the new one right away with no hassle at all.

I'm glad I can watch that scene now without noticing it (not that I ever did until I read about it - but after that I couldn't help but notice it).

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
So we were talking about disc space and you changed the goalpost to bitrate???

I am...stunned. Wow. We were talking about the movie being "gimped" to fit on one format and so of course bitrate is just as relevant as disc space.

Anyway, I'm done with this, you have no idea what you're talking about, there's clearly no point in discussing this any further with you.

Edit: centracore, I missed the contact info to get that disc (PoTC) replaced in all the noise in this thread. Do you happen to have a link to that handy?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
venturer launched their new hddvd player exclusively on qvc in europe today. First non-tosh player (although its mostly a toshiba 3rd gen inside apparantly)

£170 with 7 free discs. Thats slightly cheaper than the case tosh ep30 and so its the cheapest player in europe.

But thats still over $350

Argyle

mrklaw said:
venturer launched their new hddvd player exclusively on qvc in europe today. First non-tosh player (although its mostly a toshiba 3rd gen inside apparantly)

£170 with 7 free discs. Thats slightly cheaper than the case tosh ep30 and so its the cheapest player in europe.

FWIW I think it was fairly conclusively proven that the Venturer player and the Toshiba A3 are pretty much identical (cosmetic differences aside - people posted pics of the innards and they are clearly the same player, probably coming out of the same factory), if anyone is considering buying one. In the US it might make more sense to buy an A3 since I don't think Venturer is giving away as many free discs with their player.

There's a thread on AVSForum with the details but I just woke up and I'm too lazy to search for it. :)

Yeah apparently almost all of the internals of the Venturer are exactly the same as the Toshiba, the actual fascia is about the only obvious difference.

I think HD-DVD featuring on QVC is a good indicator that it is finally being recognised by 'the average consumer'.

oatmeal

Banned
oatmeal said:
BTW,

I have a Sony KDSA2000 at my place which is full 1080p. But I'm at home for Christmas and I bought the PS3 that I'm using as a BR player here so I haven't tested it on my TV at home, I'm using a 60" Sony SXRD (the first gen model that came out in '05) and it only goes up to 1080i.

With DVD's upscaled and videogames, I have noticed the SXRD to have a nicer picture, better contrast, etc. But with the Blu Ray's should I expect that going to 1080p on the A2000 it will be a jump up at all?

Just wanted to requote myself to see if someone latches on.:D

Snah

Banned
theBishop said:

So this confirms that Universal was lying with their claim that the HD-DVD version of Harry Potter was outselling the Blu-Ray version. Something tells me they made that statement for a reason...why else would they blatantly lie unless they were worried about Warner switching sides?

theBishop

Banned
Snah said:
So this confirms that Universal was lying with their claim that the HD-DVD version of Harry Potter was outselling the Blu-Ray version. Something tells me they made that statement for a reason...why else would they blatantly lie unless they were worried about Warner switching sides?

i hate these leaps of "logic".

With regards to Warner's decision.

They have stated unofficially that they want to see how both formats (hardware) sell over this holiday period, before deciding how to move forward.

Whilst this may be true, I think a more likely reason is the potentially much bigger rumour that two of the four Blu-Ray exclusive studios will announce their support for both formats by the end of January (most likely at CES).

The two being 20th Century Fox and Liongates.

Argyle

Opus Angelorum said:

They have stated unofficially that they want to see how both formats (hardware) sell over this holiday period, before deciding how to move forward.

Whilst this may be true, I think a more likely reason is the potentially much bigger rumour that two of the four Blu-Ray exclusive studios will announce their support for both formats by the end of January (most likely at CES).

Link? I could see Lionsgate maybe since they have less invested in the format war, but Fox? After AACS has been breached multiple times? I dunno, I just don't see it.

Walshicus

Just started watching the Planet Earth 5 disc set. Fucking hell... the scene at the start of the first episode with the flock of white birds? Beautiful.

painey

mrklaw said:

it doesnt even output 1080p...

Opus Angelorum said:

There's a bigger chance of me having sex with a man than Fox going neutral. It just ain't gonna happen.

Snah

Banned
theBishop said:
i hate these leaps of "logic".

Can you give me any other plausible reason why another studio would be reporting sales for a different studio? Not only that, but also lying about it? I'm not suggesting that this news means Warner will go blu-ray exclusive, only that it appears to be a pre-emptive article to prevent that from happening.

Argyle said:
I could see Lionsgate maybe since they have less invested in the format war, but Fox?

No link unfortunately. As an owner of both formats I've been following the 'war' since its inception.

It looked all but certain that Blu-Ray was going to succeed because of the much greater studio support; but the switch by Paramount (and support from Dreamworks) really, really screwed things up:
“This is not in the best interest of consumers,” said Mr. Chapek of Disney.

Which was the obvious thing he would say.

As you say Lionsgate have, whilst remaining exclusive not invested anywhere near as much as the other studios. They would have very little to loose if they decided to support both formats.

Disney is a definite no, due to the strong links with Apple (namely Steve Jobs who is in the Board of Directors for the Blu-Ray Association).

MGM is not impossible. They decided to go with Blu-Ray mainly due to the increased storage (which now of course is moot). Fox as you alluded to had issues with the Digital Rights Management on HD-DVD, but at the time it was blown out of proportion.

The real issue is money, both for the consumer and the movie studio.

Any studio that currently supports either format exclusively (Sony Pictures Entertainment excluded) are simply loosing money on every release.

bill0527

Opus Angelorum said:

It should be like the others in this thread.... post your sources, and they better not be junk, or get the banhammer.

20th Century going neutral has a slim to none chance of happening. If the junk rumor mill said Disney going neutral, it would have more credibility. 20th Century Fox has supported BRD all along because of its copy protection scheme and have publically stated this on many occasions. They don't feel that HD-DVD is secure enough and since its been cracked already, I guess they were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom