• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Ignatz Mouse said:
If MS were more invested in the format, they'd probably have an internal HD-DVD drive SKU already.

Which happens to be current rumor, I might add. CES 2008 - It Will Be Legendary (or not)!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
If MS were more invested in the format, they'd probably have an internal HD-DVD drive SKU already.

Right, but there's a leap in logic and actual space-time continuum when you not only question their level of commitment to HD DVD, but surmise that they want the format to fail. I was hoping you hadn't made that jump.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I think I've revised my position on this whole thing. I don't want to be a sulking little brat if/when Warner announces HD-DVD exclusitivity, so I've decided to A) Still have a meltdown, B) Sell my PS3 and substantial Blu-ray collection, and C) Buy an HD-DVD player.

VanMardigan said:
Right, but there's a leap in logic and actual space-time continuum when you not only question their level of commitment to HD DVD, but surmise that they want the format to fail. I was hoping you hadn't made that jump.

I hadn't read that into his reply. It depends on how you parse it-- they want this, not that, to succeed, or: they want this to succeed and this to fail.

I'd say that in an either/or, MS wants DD to succeed over HD-DVD. I don't think they actively want it to fail, I think they want it to do "okay" so that it can hinder Blu-ray and make the field for DD that much more open.

If Chubbs is saying that they want to sabotage HD-DVD, I'm not seeing it.

Chiggs said:
I think if Warner goes HD-DVD exclusive, I will have a meltdown and sell my PS3 and Blu-ray collection and use On Demand as my primary source of HDM.
Will you sell your PS3 because you have a meltdown, and can't think clearly, or do you not game on it, at all?

If Blu-ray folded, I'd sell my current collection of 23 Blu-ray movies, and buy an HD DVD player. However, I'll still keep my PS3 with its proprietary format, just like every cartridge based system, and the Gamecube. People seem to think the PS3 would be useless if Blu-ray lost, when in fact it'll just remain a proprietary format for the PS3, like many systems had, before it.

The current Amazon BOGO sale for Blu-ray movies is really good- perhaps a little too good. With all the rumors people have been floating around about Warner going HD DVD exclusive, it pains me to pass up such a deal. However, with the Warner Blu-ray movies selling for $10 a piece in the sale, it looks a lot like a fire sale. It's basically a BOG2 with the current Warner prices.

I've now decided to suspend my HDM purchases until the format war clears up, which is what I wanted to do, and should have kept true to. But you know how it is when you get a new toy(the PS3 in my case). I had to get some shiny new Blu-ray movies to play on it. It just snowballed into my current, and for the foreseeable future, collection of 23 Blu-ray titles.

As far as why hd's conference is 2 hours, it will most likely be the same as last years where the conference lasted about 50 mins and then they a cocktail meet and greet thing for an hour as part of it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
George Claw M.D. said:
Will you sell your PS3 because you have a meltdown, and can't think clearly, or do you not game on it, at all?

The gaming I do on the PS3 greatly pales in comparison to the amount of time I spend watching Blu-rays. Also, I've found myself falling back in love with pc gaming quite a bit, soooo...

Snah

Banned
Chiggs said:
I think I've revised my position on this whole thing. I don't want to be a sulking little brat if/when Warner announces HD-DVD exclusitivity, so I've decided to A) Still have a meltdown, B) Sell my PS3 and substantial Blu-ray collection, and C) Buy an HD-DVD player.

Why would you do that? Even with Warner on HD-DVD's side, it's still pretty much a stale mate at that point.

DJ_Tet

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:
The current Amazon BOGO sale for Blu-ray movies is really good- perhaps a little too good. With all the rumors people have been floating around about Warner going HD DVD exclusive, it pains me to pass up such a deal. However, with the Warner Blu-ray movies selling for $10 a piece in the sale, it looks a lot like a fire sale. It's basically a BOG2 with the current Warner prices.

I've now decided to suspend my HDM purchases until the format war clears up, which is what I wanted to do, and should have kept true to. But you know how it is when you get a new toy(the PS3 in my case). I had to get some shiny new Blu-ray movies to play on it. It just snowballed into my current, and for the foreseeable future, collection of 23 Blu-ray titles.

As someone in the red camp, I'll remind you that most of those same Warner movies were in the HD-DVD BOGO last week. I should get my 4 $10 Potter movies today :D

Chiggs

Gold Member
Snah said:
Why would you do that? Even with Warner on HD-DVD's side, it's still pretty much a stale mate at that point.

That's how I looked at it first, but then I started thinking that Disney or Fox would end up going along with them, or at least becoming neutral.

George Claw M.D. said:
With all the rumors people have been floating around about Warner going HD DVD exclusive, it pains me to pass up such a deal.

To be fair, there are just as many rumors floating around about WB going BR exclusive.

George Claw M.D. said:

If Blu-ray folded, I'd sell my current collection of 23 Blu-ray movies, and buy an HD DVD player. However, I'll still keep my PS3 with its proprietary format, just like every cartridge based system, and the Gamecube. People seem to think the PS3 would be useless if Blu-ray lost, when in fact it'll just remain a proprietary format for the PS3, like many systems had, before it.

There are absolutely no credible rumors to support warner even thinking about going hd only, not one.
No insider, no shill no nothing.
Not even Amir and his other sidekicks are willing to make that statement.
The only question is whether they will go blu or stay neutral.
Nothing will go down at CES , it is the weeks after that will be the ones where something will happen if it is meant to.
At least blu's rumors are from studio heads and acknowledged and proven insiders.

Chiggs

Gold Member
OokieSpookie said:
There are absolutely no credible rumors to support warner even thinking about going hd only, not one.
Not even Amir and his other sidekicks are willing to make that statement.
The only question is whether they will go blu or stay neutral.
Nothing will go down at CES , it is the weeks after that will be the ones where something will happen if it is meant to.
At least blu's rumors are from studio heads and acknowledged and proven insiders.

I'm glad you posted that, lest some people interpret my ramblings as being factually-based. Why the hell they would do that is beyond me.

Snah

Banned
I don't even know where the rumors of Warner going HD-DVD exclusive started. Was it the fact that they're scheduled to be at HD-DVD's CES booth? http://myces.bdmetrics.com/PDT-255934/HD-DVD-Promotion-Group/Warner-Home-Video.aspx

Based upon the VP of Warner's statements regarding the strength of Blu-Ray sales, and the new CEO Bewkes (who, by the way, is one of the reasons the company is Blu-Ray neutral to begin with rather than being HD-DVD exclusive), I don't see what would indicate that they intend to go HD-DVD exclusive.

I don't expect any megaton announcements, and certainly none in favor of HD-DVD. If any are to be made, you can be sure somebody opened up the bank.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If Warner goes Red, I'm keeping my Ps3 for the Disney/Fox/Sony movies (which is why I got it in the first place). But if Disney/Fox follows up with neutrality, I think my Ps3 is going out the door. I already own a 360, so the Ps3 is pretty much just a Blu Ray player for me.

If Warner goes Blu, I'll be getting all their previously released flicks on Blu. If Universal follows up with neutrality, I'll wait until the Uni movies I own show up on Blu, then buying them on that format.

Either way, it won't be an easy transition to make, but one that I'm not too worried about and one that I knew I might have to make back when I bought an HD DVD player for cheap with Uni being the sole exclusive studio and then the Ps3 despite it not having games I was interested in. It'll be a long time before any exclusive studio going neutral would get their full catalog on the other format. Non-blockbusters that I own from Universal will take some time to appear on Blu Ray, no matter what Uni does in the next few months.

What about the meeting your boy penton man reported where MS offered to foot the bill in exchange for DD deal? I know you've heard of it, since you were at Blu Ray forums while you were banned here.

Snah

Banned
VanMardigan said:
What about the meeting your boy penton man reported where MS offered to foot the bill in exchange for DD deal? I know you've heard of it, since you were at Blu Ray forums while you were banned here.

And the general consensus of those meetings was that Warner was not going to go through with that deal because of how ridiculous and controlling it was. All of those insiders mentioned it was extremely unlikely for Warner to ink a deal.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Snah said:
And the general consensus of those meetings was that Warner was not going to go through with that deal because of how ridiculous and controlling it was.

General consensus? By who, you? :lol

penton wasn't there, but he was aware of the meetings. The meeting was confirmed to have taken place. Whatever Warner thought of the offer, that's where the speculation begins, but I'm glad you know a group of people at Warner that formed a consensus already. And either way, that meeting in and of itself refutes this:

There are absolutely no credible rumors to support warner even thinking about going hd only

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Chiggs said:

no reason to. Keep the blurays, just stop buying more.

PS3 will always play your blurays. and PS4 should too, if its backwards compatible.

Whereas if HDDVD fails, you can't rely on there being new hardware in a few years time. Same with standalone blurays but the PS3/4 etc should be ok

Snah

Banned
VanMardigan said:
General consensus? By who, you? :lol

penton wasn't there, but he was aware of the meetings. The meeting was confirmed to have taken place. Whatever Warner thought of the offer, that's where the speculation begins, but I'm glad you know a group of people at Warner that formed a consensus already. And either way, that meeting in and of itself refutes this:

By the insiders that spoke of the rumors to begin with.

avaya

Just had a peruse of HighDef Digest. Man...

It's the new AVS. All the "special" people have migrated to a new home after the draconian measures that the AVS mods instigated.

You can find Amir, rdjam, Kosty and that MidnightWatcher (joke character surely...) there. They are running their "replication lines hur hur" viral attack at the moment, managed to derail many threads with some of the most creative obfuscation you can imagine. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Snah said:
By the insiders that spoke of the rumors to begin with.

penton man and who? I'm not even being sarcastic, but I want to know which other insiders spoke of the meeting, and then agreed that Warner would say no to it.

You can find Amir, rdjam, Kosty and that MidnightWatcher (joke character surely...) there.

Well, it's a good thing you're looking at the situation objectively and listing the Blu Ray trolls as well. Though I will agree that rdjam is terrible as a poster.

avaya

VanMardigan said:
penton man and who? I'm not even being sarcastic, but I want to know which other insiders spoke of the meeting, and then agreed that Warner would say no to it.

Maxpower, but he's in Finance not Hollywood.

Snah

Banned
VanMardigan said:

I believe Maxpower1987 did as well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ignatz Mouse said:
If Chubbs is saying that they want to sabotage HD-DVD, I'm not seeing it.
MS has no reason to want to see HD-DVD sabotaged since it was intended as a stopgap technology in the first place which segues perfectly into MS's expressed longer term desires for the video market in general to go DD.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
avaya said:
Maxpower, but he's in Finance not Hollywood.

Yeah, so basically just penton man, whom has pretty much shown his worth as an insider. No one knows what Warner is thinking, then, in regards to that offer. And no amount of wishful thinking or GAF analysis on the merits of that offer is going to change that.

avaya

VanMardigan said:
Well, it's a good thing you're looking at the situation objectively and listing the Blu Ray trolls as well. Though I will agree that rdjam is terrible as a poster.

Everyone knows the Blu-ray rabid collective exists at Blu-ray.com They are funny. I only read the insiders thread there, can't stand the rest of the forum. But the HD-DVD side has a very special extreme element. The genesis of it all was SuperKyro. Deadmeat has touched the lives of so many.

Snah

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Yeah, so basically just penton man, whom has pretty much shown his worth as an insider. No one knows what Warner is thinking, then, in regards to that offer. And no amount of wishful thinking or GAF analysis on the merits of that offer is going to change that.

Penton Man may know what Warner is thinking, especially given that he said they're unlikely to budge. We don't know his relationship with Warner execs, so we can't assume he does/does not know anything.

It's stupid arguing over it either way, but there have also been confirmed meets between Warner and Sony that have gone on a long time....so, basically we have rumors of Warner meeting with both sides. We're back to where we started.

avaya

This is getting boring.

What was the last HD movie you guys watched?

Independence Day for me, PQ was 4/5 slightly grainy. DTS-MA, so I only got the DD track.

The universal plug-n-play demonstrated in this movie still amazes me to this day.

VanMardigan said:
It was a meeting, and yes I am well aware.
Banned does not mean I can not see what is going on.
If there was anything done at that meeting, Penton, Paid or one of the others would say something as we were warned about Paramount.
The metting happening refutes nothing at all.
Do you honestly think that it was the only meeting that Warner has had in the past few weeks?
The fact that there was a meeting and the blu insiders feel even more confident after say more to me than phantom speculation.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
avaya said:
The universal plug-n-play demonstrated in this movie still amazes me to this day.

sweet, I interfaced my ibook with the alien hardware. I'm uploading a virus to disable their security system. SWEET. :lol Lets smoke a cigar and shoot off a nuke.

I love hollywood blockbusters. Though I think the new entry "They hacked my car" is the best ever. :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
avaya said:
This is getting boring.

What was the last HD movie you guys watched?

Independence Day for me, PQ was 4/5 slightly grainy. DTS-MA, so I only got the DD track.

theres a separate thread for HD movie stuff. Lets keep this one on-topic. I.e a complete mind-fuck driving headfirst out of control into the potential but unlikely melodramatic meltdown which is CES.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OokieSpookie said:
Do you honestly think that it was the only meeting that Warner has had in the past few weeks?

No, but they were offered money from MS to go HD DVD exclusive at this last one, allegedly. The point was to discredit your previous post which suggested that there was no reason to believe WB would be going HD DVD exclusive. That meeting begs to differ, whether WB accepts or not.

Chiggs

Gold Member
StoOgE said:
I love hollywood blockbusters. Though I think the new entry "They hacked my car" is the best ever. :lol

Untraceable looks to be as exciting as the riveting 1995 thriller The Net.

StoOgE

Yeah, I wish people would stop analyzing rumors into which is more likely to be true. I mean, come on. just let it go, when they announce something, it'll happen.

Sh0k

What do you guys do with your old DVD movies, do you buy HD movies only if you don't have them in DVD or do you double dip on some titles ? I'm tempted to get the 4 Potter movies on BDs with the Amazon BOGO, but I already own them in DVD ... I hate to double dip :(

StoOgE

Chiggs said:
Untraceable looks to be as exciting as the riveting 1995 thriller The Net.

OMG WE ARE THE WEAPON, WE ARE ALL THE MURDERERS. THEY ARE UNTRACABLE!

and they hacked my car.

Sh0k said:
What do you guys do with your old DVD movies, do you buy HD movies only if you don't have them in DVD or do you double dip on some titles ? I'm tempted to get the 4 Potter movies on BDs with the Amazon BOGO, but I already own them in DVD ... I hate to double dip :(

I've only replaced a few movies I allready owned. For the most part, I give them to friends/family since selling them isnt worth the trouble. If I like a movie (i.e. I still watch it) that I own on DVD, I wont hesitate to replace it.

gkryhewy

Sh0k said:

I ebay my DVDs and take what I can get. I got about $40 for my set of the first four Potters, so...

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Man, you guys are acting like a bunch of girls in high school gossiping about some guy n class. Just let it go until it happens, or doesn't happen. Let's propose a moratorium on Warner HD-DVD or Blu-Ray exclusivity rumors until after CES, ok?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sh0k said:
give them away. most of the time it doesn't bother me as I bought them years (or decades) ago. usually to my mom or in rare cases one of my siblings.

as for what I actually purchase, so far 90% of it is new. that 10% consists basically of:

Serenity
Mummy
Mummy Returns
Resident Evil 1
Harry Potter 1-4

Four of those lines are must haves for me (I am a sucker for Uni monster movies). resident evil was a good deal for the set.

Of course there are "double dips" that aren't really. Blade Runner, Casablanca, and CE3K I would not consider double dips given the major upgrades those received, and likewise it's tough to consider Cars a double dip given the visual and features upgrade of the disc.

Otherwise everything else is new (or free).

Kastro

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
Man, you guys are acting like a bunch of girls in high school gossiping about some guy n class. Just let it go until it happens, or doesn't happen. Let's propose a moratorium on Warner HD-DVD or Blu-Ray exclusivity rumors until after CES, ok?

seriously you guys are kind of obsessed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sh0k said:

I sold most of mine on, thinking that I'd rebuy any I really cared about in HD. Starting to regret that now with the current clusterfuck.

Alteredbeast, right about now this is starting to get interesting again. Its just a soap opera really.

Snah

Banned
AlteredBeast said:

Reminds me of a certain poster's anecdotal sales threads.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, I just wanted to poll to see what guys here felt about where Warner was going (if anywhere) by CES, before the "there's no reason to believe WB is going red" post. I'm sure Toshiba/MS can think of a couple hundred million reasons why. :lol

Sh0k

Thanks all, I just placed an order with Amazon for the 4 Potter movies, they are hard to pass at $10. a piece and free shipping. I will put my Potter DVDs on eBay tonight.

Anybody owns the Resident Evil trilogy on BD ? How is the transfer quality ? Best Buy has the Trilogy for $59. + tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom