• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

maharg said:
Ok, now that this is, for all intents and purposes, over, can we lose this talking point? HD-DVD has (or, in some cases, just had) some really awesome things going for it that have absolutely nothing to do with the price.

Online in every box, a menu system based on web-like frameworks, strong interactivity features are some other reasons people chose it. I know it's popular around here to think that people who wanted those things only liked them because it was on their chosen format, but I for one thought of them as reasons, in combination with the price factor, why if I was going to back either format it was the one that interested me.

To be totally fair, there is a declarative UI language for BRD as well.

SRG01

Kyoufu said:
House reference? I just saw that episode (if it is indeed House you are referring to).

No, it's a pseudo-psych reference to how people take bad news.

First, they're angry, then they're in denial. I think the next one is depression and something, and the final one is acceptance.

v1cious

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
Hey Blu-Ray owners... how the fuck would you feel if you spent $400 bucks on a player and hundreds of dollars on movies and I told you Warner, Fox & Disney were going HD DVD today?

Seriously. Comments about which either is better or which ever has more movies... who the fuck cares..... At the end of the day it's about High Def movies that MOVIE LOVERS WANT TO WATCH IN HIGH FUCKING DEF.

Now the "Red" crowd is left scratching their head on what they can do with their players and movies.

If you were in the same god damn boat I would bet money we'd be making the same snide comments that everyone is making toward HD DVD owners. So seriously..... lay off.

sub-square-barney.gif

i think someone needs a hug.

one thing not talked about a whole lot was Toshiba's statement about Warner jumping. It sounds like they're still under some sort of contractual agreement. If Warner breaks any of that..... lawsuit?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I am guessing the HD-DVD camp are making calls like crazy to all their supports, especially paramount and trying to re-structure their position for CES, if they have a showing at all.

You know I almost bought into Hd-DVD, first it was Paramount's exclusivity deal, so no Transformers on blu-ray for NeoJ. Then came Universal's position to put everything even HEROES and Battlestar Galacica on HD-DVD and my friend who is only into HD-DVD used to goat me into buying an add on for my 360, especially with that sweet deal with the free HEORES box set at best buy.... now he isn't even online right now.

Nicodimas

Banned
one thing not talked about a whole lot was Toshiba's statement about Warner jumping. It sounds like they're still under some sort of contractual agreement. If Warner breaks any of that..... lawsuit?

A lawsuit would be even worse for both formats. The whole idea of the war was to try to stave off digital downloads. Cheaper products quicker.

Chiggs

Gold Member
VictimOfGrief said:

Doubtful. Toshiba rattling sabres...and impressing no one.

neojubei said:
I am guessing the HD-DVD camp are making calls like crazy to all their supports, especially paramount and trying to re-structure their position for CES, if they have a showing at all.

You know I almost bought into Hd-DVD, first it was Paramount's exclusivity deal, so no Transformers on blu-ray for NeoJ. Then came Universal's position to put everything even HEROES and Battlestar Galacica on HD-DVD and my friend who is only into HD-DVD used to goat me into buying an add on for my 360, especially with that sweet deal with the free HEORES box set at best buy.... now he isn't even online right now.

Yeah, I was tempted so many times but I had a bad feeling about the format ever since I bought the addon once, hooked it up to my 360 and received the red ring of death. Took the sucker back to the store and swore off the format for the most part ever since.

It was a bad omen.

Kabuki Waq said:
its sad that with all the Good natured Pity being thrown around by the BLu Ray fans i fear this thread will lose a lot of steam now :(

There is one battle yet to win - DVD!
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Nicodimas said:
A lawsuit would be even worse for both formats. The whole idea of the war was to try to stave off digital downloads. Cheaper products quicker.
Digital downloads will NEVER replace a physical media. Not even within 20 yrs will North America have the infrastructure for that shit.

Microsoft is smoking crack if they think they can bring that out and have everyone sign up for that the way iTunes did with music.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
VictimOfGrief said:
Digital downloads will NEVER replace a physical media. Not even within 20 yrs will North America have the infrastructure for that shit.

Microsoft is smoking crack if they think they can bring that out and have everyone sign up for that the way iTunes did with music.

Yeah I think it will be a nice alternative, but physical media isnt going anywhere. I don't know why ppl see DD as such a threat.

New York Times is on it. Tomorrow's story today. An excerpt, though the first line of the story pretty much says it all:

Warner Backs Blu-ray, Tilting DVD Battle

By BROOKS BARNES
Published: January 5, 2008

LOS ANGELES — The high-definition DVD war is all but over.

Hollywood’s squabble over which of two technologies will replace standard DVDs skewed in the direction of the Sony Corporation on Friday, with Warner Brothers casting the deciding vote in favor of the company’s Blu-ray discs over the rival format, HD DVD.

In some ways, the fight is a replay of the VHS versus Betamax battle of the 1980s. This time, however, the Sony product appears to have prevailed.

“The overwhelming industry opinion is that this decides the format battle in favor of Blu-ray,” said Richard Doherty, research director at the Envisioneering Group, a market research firm in Seaford, N.Y.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/technology/05disc.html?ref=business

This is how this story will play in the mainstream news.

Nicodimas

Banned

I feel that in five years this will be mainstream.

VictimOfGrief said:
No just another prick who can't make movies.

atleast he tried to back the right horse :( He is prolly telling all his dreamworks buddies "i told you so"

i still cant believe all this went down after i bought the hd dvd add on.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I'm kind of glad this nonsense is coming to an end - I've got both players.. my ps3, and the hddvd addon for 360 - I own BSG Season 1, Star Trek, Heroes, and a handful of movies on HDDVD, so i'm not at a loss.

I own more bluray disks than I do HDDVD, so this is fine for me... If i get cheap deals on HDDVD releases in the near future, then so be it.

Still though, didn't think it'd happen this quickly.. I guess all that's left is paramount and universal, once they sway.. games over man!

Snah

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Well, it was fun while it lasted, but this is where I step out of the high def game. I suppose in a sense, Warner is saving me quite a bit of money this year.

Or, you can accept and enjoy a one format future like the rest of us instead of crying bitter tears.

Why step out of it? Isn't this what everyone wanted for the end game? A single high def format?

If this is going to make you stop supporting high def content, then perhaps you should rethink why you even bothered stepping into high def to begin with, because it looks like it wasn't for the movies.

Snah said:
Or, you can accept and enjoy a one format future like the rest of us instead of crying bitter tears.

Why step out of it? Isn't this what everyone wanted for the end game? A single high def format?

If this is going to make you stop supporting high def content, then perhaps you should rethink why you even bothered stepping into high def to begin with, because it looks like it wasn't for the movies.
:lol

avaya said:
AVS is fine now. HDD's where it's at. rdjam, amir, deadmeat, kosty, midnightwatcher et all.

I seriously want to go give hidefjunkie the finger, but that whole two month ban thing is a hamper.
Mods for some reason do not like when you try to make a ban bet with their pet insider.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
First Obama winning the Iowa Caucus and now Warner going exclusive to blu-ray.... this is a awesome start of the year.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Snah said:

Maybe because some of us can not afford 399 dollar players. I will gladly join in when I can get a fully speced blu player for 199. I just can't afford to drop 800 dollars on 2 players which I must have. I just can't wait for best buy and other places to start clearing out HD-DVDs I will gladly buy a whole library of hd-media if it is cheap. I could careless if I have 2 players in each entertainment center with the VCRs/regular dvd players there is plenty of room.

Snah

Banned
quest said:
Maybe because some of us can not afford 399 dollar players. I will gladly join in when I can get a fully speced blu player for 199. I just can't afford to drop 800 dollars on 2 players which I must have. I just can't wait for best buy and other places to start clearing out HD-DVDs I will gladly buy a whole library of hd-media if it is cheap. I could careless if I have 2 players in each entertainment center with the VCRs/regular dvd players there is plenty of room.

You'll get your wish this year. I'm sure they'll be announcing all of the details at CES.

VictimOfGrief said:
If there is no sub $200 dollar Blu-Ray player after CES, I'll be surprised.

On that note, I'm outta here for now.

Yeah, it would be a good time to put the final nails in the coffin. Might as well go all out with a $199 BR player and some BOGO free deals.

tribal24

Banned
i know its in off topic but wouldnt this make the ps3 cost cheaper to manufacture if blu ray is adopted at a faster rate? if the new is that big?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Snah said:
You'll get your wish this year. I'm sure they'll be announcing all of the details at CES.

I won't hold my breath if out dated 1.0 players are still 300 dollars. And half speced 1.1 players are 399 it will be a while before 2.0 players are 199. I just hope toshiba calls it quits asap and gets working on blu players then I could see a chance of a full speced player for 199 in the next year.

quest said:
I won't hold my breath if out dated 1.0 players are still 300 dollars. And half speced 1.1 players are 399 it will be a while before 2.0 players are 199. I just hope toshiba calls it quits asap and gets working on blu players then I could see a chance of a full speced player for 199 in the next year.

"outdated" 1.0 players are already under 300

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Snah said:

I don't have an issue with there being one format, but Sony's approach remains rather consumer-unfriendly and cost prohibitive in my mind. Until they choose to get things into a more affordable range, I am going back to the sidelines.

womfalcs3

Banned
It was announced last year that Funai was working on a BD player. I don't think it's a stretch to see a cheaper player at CES.

Cosmic Bus said:
I don't have an issue with there being one format, but Sony's approach remains rather consumer-unfriendly and cost prohibitive in my mind. Until they choose to get things into a more affordable range, I am going back to the sidelines.

I dunno i have not been impressed with the Combo disc prices of HD DVD movies. Pretty dirty as well imo.

Cosmic Bus said:

If it was not for Toshiba's desperation sales 279 would have been considered consumer friendly right now and a good step.
And the movie prices have been pretty damned good if you buy on release week or watch for sales ( not even including bogos )

The bottom line is that haters will always have an excuse to hate.

bill0527

Nicodimas said:
I feel that in five years this will be mainstream.

No way will DD become mainstream in 5 years, at least not in the U.S.

Do you realize just how many places in the U.S. still can't get reliable broadband service and probably will never get it unless some reliable alternative is found, like running it through the electric lines?

We aren't Japan, or South Korea.. this is a big fucking country.

Not to mention some of the companies that do offer it, like Comcast craptastic putting download caps on their users.

MoxManiac

Random guy from AVS forum:

So this sucks!! If anyone is interested in a free HDA30 they can come pick it up now............in a fit of rage I just chucked it out my front door and down the street. It "MIGHT" work still.

:lol

borghe said:
and you guys who have HD-DVD drives and are stopping now from buying new movies... are you kidding me??? "Oh noes I'm not going to buy a movie that I already have the setup to play because it might be inconvenient to play years down the line." This war only existed because of dumb ass logic like this.
What's so dumb about that logic? Consumer electronics don't last forever. Just, today, I bid on a used SNES on eBay, because mine broke. Had the SNES been a nothing more than a CD or DVD player, I could get a new player, cheaper, yet with better features than the original SNES.

borghe said:
and for the record, this was obviously moneyhatted. The fact that they are still releasing HD-DVD until May, just after an exclusive window, proves that. Kudos to BDA.. they effectively took their destiny into their own hands and made this happen.
For the record? So you have proof? Also, Toshiba's official response is that they still have existing contracts with Warner. So maybe Warner still has to release titles on HD DVD until May, but is strategically giving Blu-ray and DVD timed exclusivity, effectively minimizing support for HD DVD.

Firestreak said:
Blu-ray add-on announced soon?
Would be interesting to see if Microsoft lives up to their word, regarding this. However, I don't see it happening with the 360, this late in its lifespan. Chances are good for MS's next console, though.

chubigans said:
I have to wonder if Warner did this to sway other companies before CES. Kind of odd to blow a huge announcement like this if it didn't have some sway to it, eh?
That's an interesting take. Now, seeing that link about the HD DVD conference being cancelled(if it's true), that could have definitely played a part in Warner's timing of the announcement. As entertaining as it would have been for Microsoft to announce some sort of HD DVD deal, only to have Warner make its announcement, later, the current situation really is best for all concerned.

Phoenix said:
Dude, if Microsoft hadn't moneyhatted the shit out of HD-DVD or this would have been over LONG ago.
So true. However, I think Microsoft spent just enough money to achieve its goal. After all, this is the first year that Microsoft game division became profitable. HD DVD stunted the PS3's growth enough to assure 360 success. I not talking about being first or even second place, either, but being in the race, period. It's interesting that the PS3 is having the least success in the U.S., where HD DVD had it's only chance. The PS3 is fairing much better, everywhere else in the world, where Blu-ray is blowing out HD DVD. Even if PS3 sales take off, after this announcement, akin to what DVD did for the PS2, 360 is already assured to remain a player this gen. Had Blu-ray been a foregone conclusion from the start, the console wars may very well have looked very different than it is, now.

Chiggs said:
If someone wants to read some retarded comments (i.e; people downplaying the news, DD future, etc, etc), then look no further:

http://www.dailytech.com/Warner+Bros+to+Become+Bluray+Exclusive/article10233.htm

From what I've gathered, the Dailytech folks hates Sony quite a bit. No huge meltdowns, but the bitterness is there.
Yes. I'm a regular reader of DailyTech, but I don't participate in their discussions, because the bias of the community is obvious. Perfectly valid posts get voted down, just for supporting anything Sony.

MechDX said:
I still dont get the whole "May 31st" thing. Why would you announce support until a certain date? What would even be the reasoning behind this?

Does WB actually think people will buy their movie on HD DVD if they know its basically dead?
Read my response, above. Toshiba said Warner still has contracts with them.

Mifune said:
He only denies receiving payoffs in the amount of 250 to 500 million. He says nothing about 620 million dollar ones.
$620mil is a lot of money- an amount that would not go unnoticed in financial reports. That is, unless Sony already reported it, explaining the huge $1bil loss for their game division.
I kid!

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...s-blu-ray-is-hd-dvd-history/?mod=yahoobarrons

Toshiba's response

January 4, 2008, 6:43 pm
Warner Chooses Blu-Ray; Is HD-DVD History?
Posted by Eric Savitz
Time-Warner’s (TWX) Warner Bros. unit today announced that it will stop releasing films in the HD-DVD standard, throwing its support behind the Blu-Ray standard. That would seem to be a devastating blow to HD-DVD.

Michael Greeson, CEO of market research firm The Diffusion Group, said in an interview with Tech Trader Daily this afternoon that Warner’s decision effectively puts an end to the high-def format war. His conclusion: Blu-Ray wins.

With Warner focused solely on Blu-Ray, the list of studios backing HD-DVD is down to Paramount, Universal and Dreamworks. Greeson contends it will only be a matter of time before they shift gears and back the Blu-Ray standard as well.

The Warner news comes amid reports that Apple (AAPL) will announce support for Blu-Ray at the Macworld show later this month in San Francisco.

I asked Greeson about who the winners and losers are in a world in which Blu-Ray has vanquished HD-DVD.

Winners: Sony (SNE), which has lead the charge for the Blu-Ray standard, and included Blu-Ray players in the Playstation 3. For the studios, simply having any winner in the format war is a plus if it brings consumers contemplating a switch to a high definition player off the sidelines. It also helps Panasonic, Samsung and other manufacturers of Blu-Ray players.

Losers: Toshiba, which has lead the HD-DVD camp, is the biggest loser. Microsoft (MSFT) also is mildly hurt; they have been backing the HD-DVD standard. Toshiba this afternoon issued a statement saying it was surprised by Warner’s decision. Here is the text of Toshiba’s statement:

Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.’ decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together
to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in
our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

Phil Swann, who runs the Web site TVPredictions.com reached the same conclusion as Greeson: HD-DVD has lost the war. ” Warner’s decision to endorse Blu-ray will be the beginning of the end of HD DVD,” he writes.

All of this has happened on the eve of the Consumer Electronics Show, which will feature a host of new HD-DVD and Blu-Ray devices, and press events involving most of the major players. Most of the major Asian consumer electronics players, including Sony, Samsung, LG and Panasonic, are holding press events on Sunday. I suspect the Warner news has created some scrambling to adjust presentations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom