• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snah

Banned
chubigans said:
Sorry, it loaded slow as hell for me till I found out there was more. Im off to register!

Yeah, the article is loading slow.. I'll post what I have here...when you register, do you mind posting it in full?

Paramount in HD DVD blow

By Matthew Garrahan and Mariko Sanchanta in Las Vegas

Published: January 8 2008 02:49 | Last updated: January 8 2008 02:49

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD DVD after Warner Brothers’ recent backing of Sony’s Blu-ray technology, in a move that will sound the death knell of HD DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation, which makes the Shrek films, came out in support of HD DVD last summer, joining General Electric’s Universal Studios as the main backers of the Toshiba format.
EDITOR’S CHOICE
Editorial Comment: Betamax’s revenge - Jan-07
Lex: Sony and Blu-ray - Jan-07
Blu-ray deal hits Microsoft and Toshiba - Jan-07
Warner plumps for Blu-ray in format wars - Jan-04
Price war could break DVD deadlock - Dec-19
Studios still locked in combat over format - Dec-06

However, Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner Bros backing Blu-ray, according to people familiar with the situation.

Paramount is set to have a bumper 2008 with several likely blockbusters, including the latest instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise.

Paramount joining the Blu-ray camp would leave HD DVD likely to suffer the same fate as Sony’s now obsolete Betamax video technology, which lost out to VHS in a similar format war in the 1980s.

Warners decision last week to throw its weight behind Blu-ray saw it join Walt Disney, 20th Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as backers of the Sony format.

The Warners move gives Blu-ray about 70 per cent of Hollywood’s output, although the format’s grip on film content will increase further when Paramount comes aboard.

It is unclear whether DreamWorks Animation has the same get-out clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp.

However, Paramount and DreamWorks have a close relationship, with Paramount distributing DreamWorks Animation films. The two companies also signed their HD DVD contracts at the same time. Meanwhile, Universal has declined to comment on its next-generation DVD plans since the Warners move.

Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Monday held out an olive branch, saying the company would be “open to dialogue” with the HD DVD camp to “grow the market”. The move came as new figures showed that Blu-ray had opened up a decisive lead over the rival home entertainment format.

Sir Howard said: “We are not going to push people around. We’ll talk to anyone ... we have a lot of work to do to grow the market. We’ll be systematic and open to dialogue at all times.”

He added that Sony still had “a lot of work” to do to get Blu-ray “widely accepted” among American consumers.

“With Warner’s support you saw billboards going up in different places and you saw television commercials getting more and more sophisticated and that’s what we’ll continue doing,” said Sir Howard.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?articleId=USN0742944620080107

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Fears of a deteriorating U.S. economy and falling DVD industry sales helped drive Warner Bros's decision to back Sony's Blu-ray next generation DVD format exclusively, a top executive told Reuters on Monday.

Hollywood's biggest seller of home movies tipped the balance of power on Friday in favor of Sony (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) in a fight for the next generation of DVDs between the electronics giant and Toshiba Corp. (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research), developers of the HD DVD format.

"We've typically been recession proof," Warner Bros Entertainment Group President Kevin Tsujihara said in an interview at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"But the thing that we saw in the fourth quarter...was gas prices beginning to affect sales. And since we're considered an impulse purchase, it's beginning to impact us," he said.

Tsujihara said the company needed to quickly erase consumer and retailer confusion over dueling DVD formats before economic conditions deteriorated.

Toshiba vowed the format war was not over, but Warner's move was seen as a major setback, at least, in the race to develop a potentially multibillion-dollar market for high-definition discs.

Warner executives said the consortium of companies backing Blu-ray, including five of the seven big Hollywood Studios, could spend more than $50 million in 2008 to convince consumers to upgrade, or more than the amount spent by the backers of both HD DVD and Blu-ray in the 2007 holiday season. Budgets have not been finalized, Warner Bros said.

The movie division of media conglomerate Time Warner Inc (TWX.N: Quote, Profile, Research), out of respect for Toshiba, has kept a low profile at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the neon-lit gambling oasis in the Nevada desert not known for its subtly.

Even Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer kept his remarks about Warner brief in public presentations.

Warner's decision is seen cementing Blu-ray's victory in what could possibly be the last physical format for movies and TV shows as technology and Internet companies race to build online distribution channels, according to Citigroup analyst Tony Wible.

A 2007 decline in DVD sales, which account for half of Hollywood's profits, and anticipated further declines in 2008 sped Warner's decision making process.

Merrill Lynch said on Monday the United States had entered its first full blown recession in 16 years.

The economy had little impact on the fourth quarter's higher sales of high definition televisions, which in turn helped boost sales of next generation DVD players, Warner Bros Home Video President Ron Sanders told Reuters.

But worsening conditions in 2008 could scupper sales of new players, and movies, even if only one format survived.

"We've hit the first 30 million" households with high definition televisions, Tsujihara said. "As we go in deeper, they'll be more cost conscious."

vdo

However, Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner Bros backing Blu-ray, according to people familiar with the situation.

I only saw the "Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD DVD..." sentence when I first clicked the article (the rest of the page was blank, and now I am getting a network error).

I just guessed at them having a possible clause for Warner, lol, but it looks like it could be true.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Snah said:
Yeah, the article is loading slow.. I'll post what I have here...when you register, do you mind posting it in full?

Its highly likely the same content...now the page wont load up at all. :(

Very weird that the contract would have a "If Warner goes Blu, you do too" clause...but at the same time, it makes perfect sense since they were both neutral at the time.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If this happens, and universal and Toshiba hold out, it will be hilarious.

Laurent

When is the exclusively deal between Universal and HD-DVD camp is supposed to run out? Reports stated that Universal did not renew it... or was it bull?

vdo

chubigans said:
Its highly likely the same content...now the page wont load up at all. :(

Very weird that the contract would have a "If Warner goes Blu, you do too" clause...but at the same time, it makes perfect sense since they were both neutral at the time.

Yeah, and I am thinking if this is true, Toshiba was in a more precarious situation this whole time - and they were probably very nervous when the Warner rumour's were happening as they knew it would trigger that clause. I would think that meant they were courting Warner pretty strong so that it would not all unravel, but it was probably hard in light of the market share results Warner kept seeing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Laurent said:
When is the exclusively deal between Universal and HD-DVD camp is supposed to run out? Reports stated that Universal did not renew it... or was it bull?

They have...lets see...one HD-DVD title slated for this year. They've been unusually quiet.

Wooh-- wait. It's the Universal movies that I really wish I had. I didn't personaly miss much about Paramount being gone. Damn!

Still, if Paramount goes, I can't imagine Universal would be long.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I'll be a little sad if Paramount switches back so fast. My Zodiac amazon order which was originally blu-ray and then became hd-dvd when paramount jumped, just shipped this morning as the last hd-dvd I ever plan on buying. If they bring it out on blu-ray anytime soon, lolz :\

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ok, so how much is Toshiba really set out to lose here? Sony would have lost BIG time, with BD installed in all PS3s being near-useless if HD-DVD won.

But can't Toshiba just stop production and start making BD players? Or did they bankroll the entire HD-DVD manufacturing business?

Bebpo

Banned
Also if Paramount jumps back anytime soon, I'm changing my forcast to Universal blu-ray before June. There's no way they could sit on the sinking ship losing profits if Paramount leaves and they are the only ones left.

Snah

Banned
What an odd clause, if true.

I bet Paramount was secretly hoping Warner would switch all along.

They made out like bandits in all of this, and ironically, I wonder if it led to Warner's decision. If Warner saw the HD-DVD camp pull out all of its stops to try and turn this war -- which, they did by releasing heavily discounted players and coercing paramount to switch sides, thus bringing the largest movie of the year to their side exclusively -- then they'd be more likely to know that "it's over for HD-DVD".

Laurent

If Paramount must switch, its better to do it as fast as possible so that their user-base isn't too damaged by the double jump...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Bebpo said:
Also if Paramount jumps back anytime soon, I'm changing my forcast to Universal blu-ray before June. There's no way they could sit on the sinking ship losing profits if Paramount leaves and they are the only ones left.

Which would be ironic, since Uni was the last studio to hop onto the DVD bandwagon.

harSon

Banned
Bebpo said:

I'm sure the $150 million they received from Toshiba is a lot more then they would get through BluRay sales.

Snah

Banned
harSon said:
I'm sure the $150 million they received from Toshiba is a lot more then they would get through BluRay sales.

That was Paramount, not Universal.

We don't even know much about the Universal-Toshiba ties.

Laurent said:
If Paramount must switch, its better to do it as fast as possible so that their user-base isn't too damaged by the double jump...

No one has a love affair with movie studios. Its like caring about music labels. People watch tv and movies not studios. Most people can hardly remember or pay attention to what movie comes from where.

It all hinged on Warner and too bad for HD-DVD. I was hoping they would pull through and rally support but whatever.

I would be interested in what was planned by MS or the HD-DVD group for CES if this announcement didn't happen.

lupin23rd

I would be willing to bet that any out-clause Paramount has would result in moneyhats being returned. If not... sounds like a big conspiracy from the get-go :lol

786936739763.jpg

lupin23rd said:
I would be willing to bet that any out-clause Paramount has would result in moneyhats being returned. If not... sounds like a big conspiracy from the get-go :lol

Perhaps some of it.
HD DID get Transformers and I am sure something else though nothing pops to my mind.
The way clauses usually work though would make it like a breach of contract type situation by toshiba and not Paramount.

Laurent said:
Doesn't work, we are now at the fight AFTER Christmas... Try something else! :lol
Yeah, but it's an ESCAPE CLAUSE.

I wasn't even thinking about that part, just the blue guy against the red guy and the escape clause thing.

rc213

Whatever they do they need to do it quickly. I'm getting calls from from friends and family asking if HD-DVD players play Blu-Ray like the PS3 or just standard HD discs. :lol All the local news coverage from CES seems to be about the HD War/Warner/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

Laurent

polyh3dron said:
Yeah, but it's an ESCAPE CLAUSE.

I wasn't even thinking about that part, just the blue guy against the red guy and the escape clause thing.
:lol I didn't even get the color fight before you mentioned it! Must be tired...

quest

Not Banned from OT
Great news hopefully stores start to liquidate hd-dvd titles dirt cheap. I could handle buying a shit load of movies at 5 dollars or less each.

bill0527

I just want to say that it feels fucking great to go out and buy my first Blu-Ray discs tonight in confidence.

I had only purchased 10 Blu-Ray discs up until last summer.

When Paramount switched, it scared the hell out of me and convinced me not to invest any more in the format until the war was decided.

So in honor of that, I went to TRU, where they have a BOGO on select titles, stole one of my daughter's $3 off anything birthday TRU gift cards (relax, she's got like 10 of these cards) - ran out and purchased Cars and Ratatouille and paid a grand total of $23.48. So around $11.50 each. What a fucking deal. Can't wait to dive back in and find some more deals out there.

Kastro

Banned
damnit.. I'm about to order Zodiac on HD-DVD as my last HD-DVD.. I didn't feel like waiting for Paramount to jump ship, but if they're gonna do it now..

quest

Not Banned from OT
bill0527 said:
I just want to say that it feels fucking great to go out and buy my first Blu-Ray discs tonight in confidence.

I had only purchased 10 Blu-Ray discs up until last summer.

When Paramount switched, it scared the hell out of me and convinced me not to invest any more in the format until the war was decided.

So in honor of that, I went to TRU, where they have a BOGO on select titles, stole one of my daughter's $3 off anything birthday TRU gift cards (relax, she's got like 10 of these cards) - ran out and purchased Cars and Ratatouille and paid a grand total of $23.48. So around $11.50 each. What a fucking deal. Can't wait to dive back in and find some more deals out there.

Better be doing it fast the deals will be far and few inbetween very soon.

jiggle

bill0527 said:
ran out and purchased Cars and Ratatouille and paid a grand total of $23.48. So around $11.50 each. What a fucking deal. Can't wait to dive back in and find some more deals out there.

Wait what? BOGO on those 2 movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom