• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mifune said:
Boogie Nights and Magnoila, please. I've already spent too much money on LOTR releases.

LOTR does nothing for me, but I'd love to have PTA's back catalog on Blu-ray. Magnolia was one of the first DVDs I bought back in 2000, I have no problem double dipping on that one.

acabado

Banned
Another CES pics

HDDVDCES2.jpg

HDDVDCES3.jpg

BDCES3.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Witchfinder General said:
OK, you don't believe in cable quality at all so I'm going to stop right here as we're never, ever going to come to an agreement on anything.

And no offence, as nice as your system is it's not exactly high end, nor is Pro-Ject by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're going to compare a turntable against a great CD player then listen to a good turntable like Thorens, Clearaudio, SME, Continuum Audio Labs, etc.
:lol
Im what one would call wannabe audiophile, or audiophile lite. But even im with bft1980 on this one.

PS to the guy that said enjoy heavy metal on the shures. Theres nothing wrong with metal :mad:

bune duggy said:
totally not the thread for this but which ones? My BB doesn't even carry the things anymore, not to mention all of the good ones are released in Europe only. :(
I got 3 doors Down - Away From the Sun(its alright, it was free :p) Eric Clapton - Slow Hand, Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard, Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood, and Norah Jones - Come Away With Me.
I thought my BB didnt cary them either, but i asked an employee and he was like we used to have a section but now they are just mixed in with CDs. I was like you're joking right?
They didnt have Miles Davis - Kind of Blue >.< Or some other stuff i wanted.

smurfx

get some go again
just imagine if universal switches to blu ray and we have jurrasic park, e.t, lord of the rings, indiana jones for xmas in the u.s. :D

djkimothy

I'm always skeptical with these kinds of photos so i checked the EXIF data. And those HDDVD photos were taken around afternoon-ish. Wow. :lol

Raistlin

djkimothy said:
Don't know if this was posted yet since it's pretty obvious but New Line has cut HDDVD support to be in line with Warner.

D'oh, beaten... :lol

Not only beaten, but your statement is actually incorrect. :p

They are NOT in line with Warner, as Warner will continue with releases until May. New Line's stoppage is effectively immediately, and means Pan's Labyrinth is their one and only release on HD DVD.

djkimothy

Onix said:
Not only beaten, but your statement is actually incorrect. :p

They are NOT in line with Warner, as Warner will continue with releases until May. New Line's stoppage is effectively immediately, and means Pan's Labyrinth is their one and only release on HD DVD.

You know what I mean. :p

One thing this last year has convinced me of-- there's more market for a physical media than all the naysaysers have been claiming. Even with the chilling effect of a format war, there's a decent amount of buzz for HDM, far more than there ever was for HD audio. People at my office have heard the news and Blu-ray is getting to be a well-known name.

Elios83

So what are the odds of having an other final megaton (Paramount, Universal going Blu, Toshiba admitting defeat, Best Buy going BR exclusive) by the end of this week?:D
Insiders are getting crazy atm, such a domino effect has never happened in the gaming industry, we had the Squaresoft defection in the N64 era and the Capcom's Biohozard betrayal and comeback but this format war is pure drama :lol

maharg

idspispopd
Cheesemeister said:
Don't forget, inclusion of DVD was instrumental in the success of the PS2

Oh bullshit. You might have an argument the other way around, and that was the widespread view at the time, but it's not like the xbox didn't do DVDs as well, and the GameCube was pretty much a non-starter. There is no basis to believe DVD was instrumental in the success of the PS2.

maharg said:
Oh bullshit. You might have an argument the other way around, and that was the widespread view at the time, but it's not like the xbox didn't do DVDs as well, and the GameCube was pretty much a non-starter. There is no basis to believe DVD was instrumental in the success of the PS2.

It wasn't instrumental so much in North America, but didn't DVD help push PS2s in Japan early on?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
maharg said:

Maybe not in the west but certainly in Japan.

surazal

smurfx said:
just imagine if universal switches to blu ray and we have jurrasic park, e.t, lord of the rings, indiana jones for xmas in the u.s. :D

Lord of the Rings is from New Line, which annouced they are BR exclusive effective immediately. There are no annoucements for when LotR trilogy will make its way to blu-ray though.

border

Why would Paramount want to weasel out of their contract with Toshiba? They will make more money simply fulfilling the terms of the deal than they ever would have if they entered the BluRay market in the next year. All they have to do is sit back and make a few low-run releases.

if you look at the board listing all the blu ray sponsors

in between warner and 20th century fox, i see a universal logo

anybody see the same thing?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
border said:
Why would Paramount want to weasel out of their contract with Toshiba? They will make more money simply fulfilling the terms of the deal than they ever would have if they entered the BluRay market in the next year. All they have to do is sit back and make a few low-run releases.
I believe its been said, but they dont stand to gain more if say that 150 million is in promotional money.

Raistlin

Mmmkay said:

Correct

border said:

Who said their entire payout was in cash?

Things such as advertising and replication subsidies aren't very helpful when no one is buying your product.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably late to the party, but I just heard on a WSJ podcast that Paramount has a clause that allows them to drop HD DVD and go Blu, if WB goes Blu. If I am late, can someone link me to something online?

Big-E

border said:

Short term, long term. In the short term keeping with Warner may make them money but that would jeopardize future profits. With slumping DVD sales, the studios need HDM for the future of the home video market. Paramount sticking with a winless format hurts them more in the long term than a 150 million dollars now.

Kittonwy

Banned
border said:

Because accelerating the Blu-Ray format would mean more long term revenue for Paramount, and by accelerating the Blu-Ray format I mean killing off HD-DVD once and for all. HD-DVD needs to die soon so everybody can get on with moving forward.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Those CES pics are a lie, btw. Blu-ray is definitely more crowded, but HD-DVD is far from abandoned, every time I've gone by it.

Snah

Banned
border said:

From what I'm lead to believe, they get to keep the money and opt out.

yacobod

Banned
damn i just got the motherload in from amazon

Bluray:
3:10 to yuma
unforgiven
pans labyrinth
harry potter 1-4
shoot em up
oceans 13
superbad
die hard
die harder
die hard with a vengeance
underworld
devil wears prada
lost season 3

hd-dvd
zodiac
stardust

wow so many movies to watch now lol

border

Snah said:
From what I'm lead to believe, they get to keep the money and opt out.
Errrrr, what leads you to believe this? An escape clause is one thing, but one that lets them escape scott free sounds kind of crazy to put in a contract.

Loudninja

Xisiqomelir said:
Shut up dude, don't you know that the Associated Press are huge fanboys and that is no real source?

Yeah what you see with your eyes is a lie :roll:

I'm just sayin'. I'm here and walked through a crowded HD-DVD booth. I'm guessing a presentation wasn't going on when those pictures were snapped. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

You probably right dude

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
sonycowboy said:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/dvd-for...D-and-who-owns-it-Whom-to-contact-for-sp.html

Rates have changed from this, but you can get this idea:

Multiply that by:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/33462.html

Can equal a few bucks each year :D

(BTW, I remember posting actual numbers some time ago, but essentially it showed increasing billions of discs each year. And then the licensing of HW, SW, disc licensing, disc production costs (which Sony does as well) and so on. They invested all of this and risked the Playstation brand for a reason. )

I'm glad you pointed this out. This puts the price and risk of the PS3 in a whole new light.

Snah

Banned
border said:
Errrrr, what leads you to believe this? An escape clause is one thing, but one that lets them escape scott free sounds kind of crazy to put in a contract.

Maybe not scott free, but the damage that Paramount did for HD-DVD was done with the release of Shrek and Transformers exclusively this holiday season.

We don't know enough of the contract to know, but I'm sure they'd get to keep some monetary compensation for their efforts and opt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom