• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

indie85

Banned
ManaByte said:
Because they aren't? The LOTR HD content (movie, extras, etc) has been finished and waiting to be pressed since 2006. They are waiting to release them.
Yeah, waiting for an outright winner I bet, so now thats the case, Im sure they will release them.

Although they probably dont want to show just how bad all the CGi is in HD in LOTR, rendering the films even more unwatchable.

Fëanor

While I do prefer HD DVD for several reasons, I'm not against Lord of the Rings appearing on BDR. In my own personal opinion, it would be a waste to release this year when the user base is small. Next year sounds like a better idea! By then I will have my stand alone unit! It might even cost $99!:lol <---That's my price point for entering the Blu.:lol Or if I get a PS3.

Ceb

polyh3dron said:
Harry Knowles just said Par's not leaving HD DVD.. :lol

Of course this only means they'll leave quicker.

The news piece and following talkback on the Warner story are hilarious.

And remember when Harry "chose HD-DVD"?

hat Backwards compatibility feels right. Also - from the demonstrations I've seen, HD DVD looks better than the BLUE RAY discs. I also love that the player has an upconversion that raises the quality of my existing DVD library to 720p and sometimes 1080i. I've already tested it out and DVDs that I watched last time I watched them - look better than they had before.

I also have a habit of picking the winning formats. I could be wrong this time, but most of my filmmaker friends, in fact all of them that I have had a conversation regarding this with... have told me... HD DVD is the format to go with.

:lol

Christopher

ManaByte said:
Huh? All I did was explain that New Line has been sitting on HD LOTR for almost two years now. Michael Pellerin, Jackson's DVD producer, basically finished up the HD trilogy set not long after the Extended King Kong DVD was in the can and New Line has just been sitting on it. If they wanted to it could've been out right now on any format.

In the last two days I've bought nothing but BRDs.

I got:
Close Encounters
Spider-Man Trilogy
Simpsons Movie
FF: ROTSS
POTC 1
POTC 2
POTC 3
Ratatouille
Cars
Meet the Robinsons
3:10 to Yuma

You held out on Disney releases for that long? I think Disney so far has been the best studio in terms of quality with their releases.

Raistlin

BTW - Stopped at TRU to pick up Ratatouille and Cars a little while ago.

That makes a total of 10 BRD titles I've purchased since the Warner news :lol All conveniently BOGO's too ... so around $11-$12 average per title. Not bad!

captive said:
I got 3 doors Down - Away From the Sun(its alright, it was free :p) Eric Clapton - Slow Hand, Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard, Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood, and Norah Jones - Come Away With Me.
I thought my BB didnt cary them either, but i asked an employee and he was like we used to have a section but now they are just mixed in with CDs. I was like you're joking right?
They didnt have Miles Davis - Kind of Blue >.< Or some other stuff i wanted.
Nice choices. Have you heard any of the David Bowie or Elton John stuff? Really excellent.
chubigans said:
For those that don't know, that's Rob Enderle crying up there. :D
seriously? I pictured him a bit..chubbier.

bune duggy said:
Nice choices. Have you heard any of the David Bowie or Elton John stuff? Really excellent.

seriously? I pictured him a bit..chubbier.

I have Ziggy Stardust but I can't play it until this weekend. Would you want me to PM you some impressions? I have almost every iteration of that album so I can make some pretty educated comparisons.

acabado said:
Another CES pics

HDDVDCES2.jpg

HDDVDCES3.jpg

BDCES3.jpg

ROFL, reminds me of this(guys who hang around the Wrestling thread will remember this):

virgil.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Snah

Banned
Christopher said:
You held out on Disney releases for that long? I think Disney so far has been the best studio in terms of quality with their releases.

Well, he said he was suicidal for a while and only recently started picking up HD movies again. I think he was going through some hard times.

Glad to see him healthy and OK.

HD movies can do a lot to take your mind off things.

Mr. Banana Grabber said:
I have Ziggy Stardust but I can't play it until this weekend. Would you want me to PM you some impressions? I have almost every iteration of that album so I can make some pretty educated comparisons.
Oh I meant that I had the Bowie and Sir Elton stuff already and was wondering if he had any of either. The Ziggy Stardust album is absolutely one of the best of the Bowie releases with Scary Monsters and Super Creeps being a close second.

bune duggy said:
Oh I meant that I had the Bowie and Sir Elton stuff already and was wondering if he had any of either. The Ziggy Stardust album is absolutely one of the best of the Bowie releases with Scary Monsters and Super Creeps being a close second.

You mean the masters of the albums are really good because I already love both albums and have them on vinyl. I can't believe how cheap SACD's are on Amazon. My Ziggy was only $11.

gkryhewy

Snah said:
HD movies can do a lot to take your mind off things.

:lol :lol Great line. For maximum antidepressant properties, we recommend you watch HD moves only in FullHD(tm) on a Sony(R) Bravia(tm).

indie85 said:
Yeah, waiting for an outright winner I bet, so now thats the case, Im sure they will release them.

Although they probably dont want to show just how bad all the CGi is in HD in LOTR, rendering the films even more unwatchable.

The CGI in parts of The Fellowship is pretty damn bad, like faraway shots of the crew running that are actually CGI, but everything for the most part in the other 2 installments is pretty damn good.

One of the guys from Engagdet was on G4's coverage of CES, and they asked him about the whole Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD situation. After he stumbled on his words for a bit not really answering their question about HD-DVD being dead or not, the hosts asked him what format he preferred, to which he mumbled "HD."

Nicodimas

Banned
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/08/xstreamhd-details-continue-to-emerge/

So much for people arguing that about download speeds. Here is Blu-rays new enemy~My enemy..:

The XStreamHD solution will be available to consumers in early Q4 2008. The introductory price for a complete XStreamHD home solution, including a Media Server and a Media Receiver, is available to initial subscribers starting at just $399.

Featured System Highlights

-- Satellite delivery of Full HD 1080p video, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4/H.264 in 4:3 or 16:9 screen formats

-- Satellite delivery of up to 7.1 channels 96kHz/24bits of lossless DTS-HD(TM) Master Audio

-- View four Full HD video streams simultaneously throughout the home

-- Learns users' choices and preferences to adopt their entertainment profile and continuously updates the Virtual Personal Library with titles they're likely to enjoy

-- Equipped with three ATSC tuners and a Network Video Recorder for viewing and recording three HDTV broadcasts at the same time - even while watching a fourth selection from your Virtual Personal Library(TM)

-- Patent Pending Adaptive Recording(TM) ensures accurate recording of HDTV programs from start to finish, even if broadcast schedules change or are delayed

-- Easy-to-use on-screen menus to manage content preferences, parental controls, spending limits

-- DLNA v1.5 certified to integrate all compatible devices on the XStreamHD network

-- Dual slide-in drive bays enable scalable storage featuring Seagate(R) Technology hard drive storage - 500GB, 1 TB, 2 TB options - and the ability to configure an external storage subsystem via the eSATA interface

-- Includes a feature-rich Personal PBX business-class phone system; also supports VoIP calls and offers free calls between XStreamHD subscribers

-- Uses gigabit Ethernet (GigE) permitting the transfer of HD video and audio at 1 gbps throughout the home

-- HDMI interface simplifies installation and ensures signal integrity for vibrant 1080p video

-- Front panel USB port for MP3 audio downloads

How quick can satelites deliver data is my question?

Engadget....:lol
They had their head so far up hd-dvds ass they do not know what to do now.
It does have one feature that I wish all dvr boxes had and that is extra hdd bays.

bill0527

Nicodimas said:

They can deliver it quickly, but the upload speeds are hardly better than 56k.

My mom lives in the middle of literally nowhere in central Florida and she's got one of those Direcway satellites for her hi-speed internet. I think she gets like 1.5-2meg download and upload is atrocious. She also pays out the ass for her monthly subscription fee - something like $80 a month. Its total garbage at that price.

I'd be interested in seeing what the subscription fee will be for this device. It won't be cheap.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:

So much for people arguing that about download speeds. Here is Blu-rays new enemy~My enemy..:

The XStreamHD solution will be available to consumers in early Q4 2008. The introductory price for a complete XStreamHD home solution, including a Media Server and a Media Receiver, is available to initial subscribers starting at just $399.

-- Satellite delivery of Full HD 1080p video, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4/H.264 in 4:3 or 16:9 screen formats

-- Satellite delivery of up to 7.1 channels 96kHz/24bits of lossless DTS-HD(TM) Master Audio

-- Learns users' choices and preferences to adopt their entertainment profile and continuously updates the Virtual Personal Library with titles they're likely to enjoy

-- Equipped with three ATSC tuners and a Network Video Recorder for viewing and recording three HDTV broadcasts at the same time - even while watching a fourth selection from your Virtual Personal Library(TM)

-- Patent Pending Adaptive Recording(TM) ensures accurate recording of HDTV programs from start to finish, even if broadcast schedules change or are delayed

-- Easy-to-use on-screen menus to manage content preferences, parental controls, spending limits

-- DLNA v1.5 certified to integrate all compatible devices on the XStreamHD network

-- Dual slide-in drive bays enable scalable storage featuring Seagate(R) Technology hard drive storage - 500GB, 1 TB, 2 TB options - and the ability to configure an external storage subsystem via the eSATA interface

-- Includes a feature-rich Personal PBX business-class phone system; also supports VoIP calls and offers free calls between XStreamHD subscribers

-- Uses gigabit Ethernet (GigE) permitting the transfer of HD video and audio at 1 gbps throughout the home

-- HDMI interface simplifies installation and ensures signal integrity for vibrant 1080p video

Considering engadget even thinks its BS ... I think you may want to hold a wait-and-see for this.

Beyond it sounding a bit too good to be true in general ... notice there is absolutely no discussion in the press release regarding subscription fees, or durations.

As for the HW itself, sounds great ... though 3 ATSC cards? WTF? How about 1 or 2, along with 2 cablecard slots? That would at least be useful.

Riddick

Nicodimas said:

:lol I don't know to whom I should laugh at first. Engadget or Nicodimas?

Nicodimas

Banned
From yobo on AVS:

There may actually be some legitimate concerns about profile 2 and it's interconnectivity with the web. In the profile 2 demo today they mentioned the bd-live features connecting with social networking. Obviously that comment was a open-ended talking point with nothing specific announced. Sure, it would be nice to have perhaps a ticker or icon on your myspace or whatever showing your friends the latest movie you watched, or what you are watching right now and the timecode you are at. Lots of possibilities.

A lot of these features imo get developed for nefarious reasons and then are sold to the public as something they need. Tracking your movie watching habits, tracking your movie library. Paranoid? Maybe, probably since there's not enough people to actively review every person's behavior, but it's possible. Web 2.0 is a prime example of one of the biggest establishment conspiracies to date. Dumb terminals work ok in a business setting, but for personal records, finances. Not a good idea.

There could also be implications about profile 2 reporting you to the mpaa or fbi if the stream you're watching is on a raid media server without it's proper bd+ and aacs. Lots of implications imo and it opens a very big door.

Poor Blu-ray supporters. There all watching you!!!

aww god sometimes people really help put this whole thing into perspective. I feel better.

indie85

Banned
polyh3dron said:
The CGI in parts of The Fellowship is pretty damn bad, like faraway shots of the crew running that are actually CGI, but everything for the most part in the other 2 installments is pretty damn good.
I dunno, I thought all the Cgi Battles were REALLY bad. FotR was barely passable considering it had an ounce of soul, the still pretty bad, the rest terrible. I hope they go down in history as the most overrated P.O.S films ever to grace the screens.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
From yobo on AVS:

aww god sometimes people really help put this whole thing into perspective. I feel better.

This is the best argument they can come up with?

Oh for cripe's sake :lol

Aren't HD-DVD players web-enabled? :lol

Raistlin

border said:
BluRay's new enemy is a $400 set-top box that requires a satellite installation and (most likely) a subscription fee?

It isn't most likely ... it does.

Subscribers = subscription = pwnd

Nicodimas said:
And you think they're not watching you on the web-enabled HD DVDs that you have to log-in to access their features?

HD DVD supporters have been screaming up and down about HD DVD's web features making the format better than BD, and now they're a NEGATIVE?

Fuck, these HD DVD supporters are FUCKING TWISTED.

border

Nicodimas said:

Some level of surveillance is possible anytime you connect a device to the Internet. The fact that you'll sign on to this ridiculous tinfoil hat nonsense is just indicative of how desperate you are to taste those sour grapes.

OMG Web 2.0 is one of the biggest establishment conspiracies to date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicodimas

Banned
Fuck, these HD DVD supporters are FUCKING TWISTED.

Isn't that the truth. Great point. I am sure you would ignore a supporter of anything that said that comment..well except to make fun of them... Im a hd-dvd guy and I am making fun of him.

The fact that you'll

ME..i was making fun of him..but ok there buddy pic up on the sarcasm it was overflowing.

Nicodimas

Banned
hey what I want to know is why the next 6 months of releases are abyssmal for both sides...whats up?

45 Blu/30 hd/ 19 Neutral.

That is sad..

(These are movies with release dates.I do not see into the future)

ahooga, sarc detector malfunction and all that.

That just goes to show you.. there are people out there who really are like that though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nicodimas said:
hey what I want to know is why the next 6 months of releases are abyssmal for both sides...whats up?

45 Blu/30 hd/ 19 Neutral.

That is sad..

(These are movies with release dates.I do not see into the future)
Because of the holiday season.
Because CES is happening right now.
Because Paramount was going to announce titles at CES, but stopped.
Same with Universal, i think.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
Isn't that the truth. Great point. I am sure you would ignore a supporter of anything that said that comment..well except to make fun of them... Im a hd-dvd guy and I am making fun of him.

in case the above post actually is sarcasm ...

Since HD-DVD players ARE web-enabled ... and HD-DVD supporters initially used that as an arguing point for superiority ...

How does one NOT consider it twisted?

ME..i was making fun of him..but ok there buddy pic up on the sarcasm it was overflowing.

Considering your previous posting in militant support of HD-DVD ... why would anyone assume you're being sarcastic without some obvious indicator?

Kolgar

Yep, I was one of those skeptical about Sony's Trojan horse strategy with PS3.

On the one hand, it made sense. What better way to sneak blu-ray into millions of homes than on the back of the next PlayStation? On the other hand, I wasn't sure a video game player, essentially a toy, could carry the responsibility of winning a movie format war.

Maybe I'd been reading too many marketing books, the ones that tell you a product is either a "this" or a "that," but can't be both because people's minds just don't work that way. Convergence is only supposed to work with Swiss army knives and clock radios... Leave the cameras, TV tuners, and MP3 players out of my cell phone, please.

But in the end, PS3 was a key factor in Blu-ray's success over HD DVD.

It seems to me the console didn't act so much as a Trojan horse, which sounds passive, but as a catalyst driving the adoption of high-def movies. And of course, it didn't hurt that Sony's promise of spectacular PS3 sales out of the gate lured precious studio support.

I just hope somebody smarter than me writes a book or seven about all this. They say there's a fine line between genius and insanity, and I have to hand it to old Krazy Ken.

He made a hell of a machine, and his company stands to gain a great deal from it.

I hope the man at least gets an apology.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
They have to pay attention closely to what I write and logically deduce what the words mean?

If that's the case ... then should we assume that your recent HD-DVD and DD posts were meant as sarcasm? :p

Nicodimas

Banned
Pre 1/4/2008 naw I was being serious. But when I start to mourn I get sarcastic or drunk.

Hey Onix answer my question about the releases and let get this circlejerk back on topic.
Because Paramount was going to announce titles at CES, but stopped

Hopefully they release more than just star trek series: 2 and 3!!

Costanza

Banned
Can we please get Nicodimas banned from this fucking thread? It's was funny to laugh at him at first but now it's just fucking annoying.

edit: so now he's being "sarcastic" good cover up man

Nicodimas

Banned
Costanza just ignore me I will be doing the same to you /salute. Taken to PMS.

I was try to find <The Wire Video-WTF did I do him>...

My main worry with digital downloads is the illegal side, but I guess I will never be able to control that.

Xisiqomelir

Kolgar said:
It seems to me the console didn't act so much as a Trojan horse, which sounds passive, but as a catalyst driving the adoption of high-def movies.

You know catalysts don't play a part in reactions themselves, right?[/chemgeek]

JB1981

troy director's cut blu-ray looks pretty weak

and the "director's cut" footage feels like it should have stayed on teh cutting room floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom