• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
chubigans said:
Well...crap. Perhaps Paramount isn't going Blu after all.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/blu-rayhd-dvd-war-almost-won-today/

They also officially announced Bee Movie:

beeimage.jpg

beeimage2.jpg

mr stroke

The Main Event said:

beeimage.jpg

beeimage2.jpg

everyone is dumping off all there HD DVD suff but damn it there is some good stuff that is suposed to come out over the next 2-3 months-

American Gangster
Bee Movie
Zodiac DC
The Pianist
Star Trek season 2/3
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Into the Wild
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Beowulf
anyone still picking up alot of the new releases coming out over the next several months or is everyone abanding ship now and waiting for BR versions?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
chubigans said:
Well...crap. Perhaps Paramount isn't going Blu after all.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/blu-rayhd-dvd-war-almost-won-today/

the statements they are releasing are not strong endorsements of HDDVD, they are just placeholder 'no plans'.

Also, according to that insider guy, the clause wasn't about Warner going bluray, it was about Warner/other studios *not* going HDDVD, among others. So technically that rebuttal by Paramount would be correct.

Zaptruder

Banned
The Main Event said:

Keep the dream alive!

To be fair, Paramount leaving shortly after Warner did would've been the resounding death knell of HD-DVD.

But what I and most others are guessing is Paramount will have to wait at least a month or three before the final gong is sounded, as they need the post warner flip sales data to come out to justify their contract breaking depature.

In the end, the delay will just cause a bit more confusion; media reporting warner flip as the death knell, but 2 studios are still HD-DVD exclusive.

It's not really 'over' until one format has all studios... regardless of whatever else the other format has.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
xstream-HD looks interesting. From their description of providing suggestions to your personal library, it looks like they'll be pushing stuff to your box, just using satellite as an alternative delivery method to the internet.

A bit like sky anytime in the UK which comes as standard with their DVRs.

They reserve a portion of the HDD for their own use, so you get a '320GB' HDD when in reality its a 500GB, and they keep 140GB for themselves. Then during the night when you aren't using the tuners, they pump movies and other 'suggested' shows (usually stuff from their channels that they want to promote) to your box.

then those programs just appear in a separate section of your planner, a bit like Tivo suggestions, but not based on your consumption, based on what the broadcaster wants to send to you.

They use it to send you the HD versions of movie premieres that week amongst other things.

justjohn

if paramount and uni dont wanna end this now, i think the retailers should step in and end this shit now. seriously how can any retailer sell a consumer an hddvd player right now. its almost cruel

oatmeal

Banned
Just had a thought...

Can they release a 3D version of Beowulf on the disk? Comes with a pair of those polarizer glasses and it would be optional? That would be ultra bad ass.

ghostmind said:
Holy Crap at the TRU BOGO... comes out to $12.25 per title locally...
Comes out to $7.50 each if you pick two Disney movies and print out two $5 off Disney HD coupons, most of the titles are Disney anyway. I got Ratatouille and PotC 1.

I heard some were able to get $20 off, making it $5 total... Two $5 off coupons + $10 off coupon specifically for PotC: AWE. The Pirates3 coupon is included with the Pirates3 DVD to entice people to get the blu-ray version. There is a scan of it at CAG and some have printed it and used it successfully. It's just a matter of whether your cashier lets you use all 3 coupons or not.

jiggle

DIrtyWeasel said:
Comes out to $7.50 each if you pick two Disney movies and print out two $5 off Disney HD coupons, most of the titles are Disney anyway. I got Ratatouille and PotC 1.

You can use 2 coupons at the same checkout, if both movies are from Disney? :O

mr stroke said:
everyone is dumping off all there HD DVD suff but damn it there is some good stuff that is suposed to come out over the next 2-3 months-

American Gangster
Bee Movie
Zodiac DC
The Pianist
Star Trek season 2/3
Into the Wild
Beowulf
anyone still picking up alot of the new releases coming out over the next several months or is everyone abanding ship now and waiting for BR versions?

I jumped ship on hd-dvd, the only thing that hurts is zodiac, american gangster, and bourne. The wait for those will be hard, for sure.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
mr stroke said:

American Gangster
Bee Movie
Zodiac DC
The Pianist
Star Trek season 2/3
Into the Wild
Beowulf

I'm keeping all my stuff I figure my 360 plus add-on will be hooked up for another 3-4 years before microsoft comes out with something new. I'm also picking up all the Universal titles that I had been wanting to get because who knows how long it'll be before they're out on blu ray. Monday I picked up The Big Lebowski. I'm noy picking up anything else on Warner I'll just wait and get it on blu ray. Having said that Sunshine is making me want to pick up a ps 3 sooner rather than later.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Opus Angelorum said:
I've decided to keep my HD-DVD films and purchase the new Samsung combo player announced at CES.

Seriously?

ok

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Opus Angelorum said:
Why not? As someone who invested in HD-DVD it's the best possible scenario.

No it's not. Did your HD-DVD player stop working? Just wait for an inexpensive Blu-Ray player you like and get that, too. It'll be much cheaper than buying a combo player.

Edit: And if money isn't a concern, get an 80GB PS3. You'll get a high quality Blu-Ray player with "bonus features."

Laurent

Opus Angelorum said:
Money is not a concern :)
As someone who invested in HD DVD, I would guess... ;oP

I was listening to the 1UP Yours podcast today and someone (I don't remember which brit guy, John or Simon) said that he chose not to buy the HD-DVD add-on for X360 because he had trouble with rings of death lately, and if his X360 fucks, he won't be able to watch his HD movies while he's waiting for it's replacement console... That's a valid point I think.

SteveMeister said:
No it's not. Did your HD-DVD player stop working? Just wait for an inexpensive Blu-Ray player you like and get that, too. It'll be much cheaper than buying a combo player.

If I get the combo player I can sell the HD-DVD player and my PS3, hate having extra audio/visual kit in my stand.

Laurent

Opus Angelorum said:
If I get the combo player I can sell the HD-DVD player and my PS3, hate having extra audio/visual kit in my stand.
You want to sell your PS3 in 2008, the year where we shall see excellent releases for this console!?

Remember when you asked if your logic was flawed?

Laurent

I guess what you meant to say was that you would sold your PS3 eventually and that you are affraid that combo options might not be available in the future (2-3 years from now) if Blu-ray is declared officially the winner... ?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think in theory a combo player is perfect. I've got 50 HDDVDs right now (and plan on getting more if/when a firesale happens). I'm not selling all of them just to rebuy the exact same encode on a different format. That makes absolutely no sense.

The problem is, the current generation Sammy player is horrid. It only supports Dolby TrueHD in 2CH, when using analog outs, there is no way to set speaker information, it doesnt even pass TrueHD in bitstream (or DTS-HD).

To top that off, the list of movies that just dont work is gigantic, and includes all future Fox releases (BD+ gives it fits).

I don't know if I would trust a dual format player that is significantly inferior to 2 standalones. In theory, I'm with you (and was going to do the same thing) but after doing my homework, no way. Go to AVS, there is an owners thread there, and its nothing buy people flipping out. Supposedly the 5500 has fixed the audio issues, but the playback issues still worry me.

indie85

Banned
justjohn said:
if paramount and uni dont wanna end this now, i think the retailers should step in and end this shit now. seriously how can any retailer sell a consumer an hddvd player right now. its almost cruel
Agreed. This shit is just annoying now, the longer it drags on the longer it takes so EVERYONE can just move on.

Crisco

Banned
pirates 2 and 3 are horrible movies which couldnt even be saved by a steam huffing chow yun fat.

Pirates 2 did in fact suck, but I went into Pirates 3 with extremely low expectations and came out pretty happy. Even after subsequent viewings at home, I still thought it was a good flick. The whole end sequence with the 2 ships circling each other in the maelstrom exchanging cannon ball fire was spectacular.

centracore

Riskbreaker23 said:
do you guys consider sunshine a buy or rent movie?

I personally consider it to be a buy a movie and plan on picking up today, mind you I'm a big sci-fi fan and haven't seen too much new in that genre lately so anything is appreciated.

GuessWho said:
i love how everyone in this thread doesn't give a shit about movies anymore, just who wins.
Anyways i just bought and seen 3:10 to Yuma on bluray. It was a blind buy for me but it was so worth it! What a great movie. Bale and Crowe are so freaking awesome. Especially near the end, don't know why but i got emotional. lol.
Btw the PQ is top notch. Some scenes have an almost 3d feel its so crisp. 5/5 Definitely reccomended.

I love how random people make assumptions. We have a separate thread for movies, so that people can talk about them without the idocy and fighting that goes on here.

Laurent

StoOgE said:
I think in theory a combo player is perfect. I've got 50 HDDVDs right now (and plan on getting more if/when a firesale happens). I'm not selling all of them just to rebuy the exact same encode on a different format. That makes absolutely no sense.
I agree completely. I wonder how doable it would be to import the content of a HD-DVD and place it on a BRD in a way that would make it compatible with typical Blu-ray players since both players are using the same codecs. That would imply that you need to buy a HD-DVD player and a BRD burner for your PC, which makes it a much too expansive solution...

Laurent

I just bought Terminator 2 BRD with a gift card I received at Christmas. It was only 20$...

After watching the movie, I wanted to check the bonus features. I found out why that movie was only 20$ then... x_x

fse

justjohn said:

competition is a great thing, even if there is a winner already.
they have some exclusives.

eh. all i know right now is that as soon as HD-DVD players hit rock bottom prices i'm buying one and putting it in the closet where it'll remain until the day when my current player might die.

paramount only seem to be saying they are still supporting hd-dvd. if they were going to remain exclusive, it wouldn't exactly be asking too much to expect them to come out and say just that.

doesn't prove a thing of course... but it's always interesting to see what isn't said in carefully worded PR statements. and talking of things not being said... where's Universal?

Toshiba have a choice right now. pull out all the stops and empty the bank accounts or accept defeat. anything else is unrealistic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Riskbreaker23 said:
do you guys consider sunshine a buy or rent movie?
I want to buy it. It's a movie with beautiful photography and scene design, almost worth it for that alone. I didn't see it in HD the first time I watched it, but having seen the trailers for it, I regret it now, and really want to see it in HD.

You can see a page or two back my post about it what I thought about it as a movie. In short, it's a sci-fi movie that shoots very high, higher than any sci-fi movie in ages perhaps, but it misses the greatness of something like 2001: Space Odyssey, that it was clearly aspiring to. Still, it's very enjoyable to watch for just about anyone, and not just fans of sci-fi genre.

Ignatz Mouse said:
We have a separate thread for movies, so that people can talk about them without the idocy and fighting that goes on here.
Really? I didn't even know that.

YagizY

It's funny that the day before Warner announced Blu-ray exclusivity I decided that I would start buying Blu-ray movies and would eventually get a PS3 (currently my roommate has one so I don't need to buy one quite yet).

BOGO's are dangerous, so far I have 4 Blu-ray's and maybe 3:10 by the end of the month:

Ratatouille
Cars
Rescue Dawn
Pirates 1 (Pirates 2 and 3 is big budget garbage)

Marconelly said:
I want to buy it. It's a movie with beautiful photography and scene design, almost worth it for that alone. I didn't see it in HD the first time I watched it, but having seen the trailers for it, I regret it now, and really want to see it in HD.

You can see a page or two back my post about it what I thought about it as a movie. In short, it's a sci-fi movie that shoots very high, higher than any sci-fi movie in ages perhaps, but it misses the greatness of something like 2001: Space Odyssey, that it was clearly aspiring to. Still, it's very enjoyable to watch for just about anyone, and not just fans of sci-fi genre.

Really? I didn't even know that.

It tends to get overlooked, but I just bumped it for convenience. Movie talk tends to get drowned out in here, especially when there is news.

Ookie, when you said Endget was pro-HD-DVD I thought "well, maybe a little." But in the last two days, they've run two articles with such a clear anti-Blu slant it's annoying.

OneI is taking a potshot at UMD (and in passing mentioning the PSP-copy of movies that will be available on discs), which is a weird way to present the good news that there will be PSP-compatible versions available on discs.

Now today, they're got a complete puff piece saying that Blu-ray will have a fight ahead of it to sell well. If it were a slow news week I could see a piece like this appearing, but now? And there's not really any substance in the article, either. It's not a like a report or some numbers just made this case clear.

EngadgetHD FTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom