• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
oatmeal said:
Just had a thought...

Can they release a 3D version of Beowulf on the disk? Comes with a pair of those polarizer glasses and it would be optional? That would be ultra bad ass.
no because they need some gimmick to get you into theaters. Much like Chicken Little 3-d and the other 3-d movies, it's going to stay in the theaters for awhile. They like that revenue stream and they're going to keep it so that the consumer can only experience the effect in theaters because it's more money for them ($10.50 a ticket here vs. $30 a disc).

DJ_Tet

Banned
plagiarize said:
eh. all i know right now is that as soon as HD-DVD players hit rock bottom prices i'm buying one and putting it in the closet where it'll remain until the day when my current player might die.

I'm going to do this too, as well as hope Toshiba continues the line in the form of combo players. However, don't just stick it in the closet. When you first get your backup player, you should test it and update the firmware. Then pack it back up for the future :)

edit: I'd love for someone to put the links to the pdf Disney coupons here, I can't get to CAG and would love for some really cheap Disney blu rays at Toys R Us

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
mr stroke said:
everyone is dumping off all there HD DVD suff but damn it there is some good stuff that is suposed to come out over the next 2-3 months-

American Gangster
Bee Movie
Zodiac DC
The Pianist
Star Trek season 2/3
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Into the Wild
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Beowulf
anyone still picking up alot of the new releases coming out over the next several months or is everyone abanding ship now and waiting for BR versions?

smh @ people jumping off hd-dvd

I've been waiting for AG to come out. My hd-dvd collection will grow once I learn how to appreciate movies again.

Marconelly said:
I want to buy it. It's a movie with beautiful photography and scene design, almost worth it for that alone. I didn't see it in HD the first time I watched it, but having seen the trailers for it, I regret it now, and really want to see it in HD.

You can see a page or two back my post about it what I thought about it as a movie. In short, it's a sci-fi movie that shoots very high, higher than any sci-fi movie in ages perhaps, but it misses the greatness of something like 2001: Space Odyssey, that it was clearly aspiring to. Still, it's very enjoyable to watch for just about anyone, and not just fans of sci-fi genre.

Several shots from the Sunshine trailer reminded me of 2001 (I took that negatively, i.e. "rip off"), and the whole thing gave me an Armageddon-like vibe, again negative but for the opposite reason. Kind of lost the interest in watching it after seeing the trailer. It did look visually competent though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Speaking with High-Def Digest, Tsujishara stated that the studio is preparing several Profile 1.1 titles --specifically the library of nearly a dozen Warner titles previously released on HD DVD that used that format's HDi technology to deliver the studio's "In Movie Experience" picture-in-picture video commentary and other interactive features.

"We held off releasing them on Blu-ray because we wanted to be able to have the full interactivity," said Tsujishara. "At this point in time, we're still working out all the kinks [with the technology], but they will be released soon."

Two titles specifically cited by Tsujishara as being prepped for Blu-ray release were 'Batman Begins,' and the blockbuster 'Matrix' trilogy, although he stopped short of naming actual street dates.

link

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Naked Snake said:
Several shots from the Sunshine trailer reminded me of 2001 (I took that negatively, i.e. "rip off"), and the whole thing gave me an Armageddon-like vibe, again negative but for the opposite reason. Kind of lost the interest in watching it after seeing the trailer. It did look visually competent though.
Fear not, it's absolutely *nothing* like Armageddon, Core, Day After Tomorrow or other such dreck.

It has some problems, problems in operational logic even, but it's really not even in the same universe as Armageddon as far the focus of the movie goes.

As far as ripping off 2001 scenes, I suppose you can say there are a few scenes that are definitely reminiscent of that movie. But only a few, and a vast majority of visual identity is this movie's own.

Marconelly said:
Fear not, it's absolutely *nothing* like Armageddon, Core, Day After Tomorrow or other such dreck.

It has some problems, problems in operational logic even, but it's really not even in the same universe as Armageddon as far the focus of the movie goes.

As far as ripping off 2001 scenes, I suppose you can say there are a few scenes that are definitely reminiscent of that movie. But only a few, and a vast majority of visual identity is this movie's own.

Sounds good, I guess I might try to get a hold of it one day, thanks.

Gav

Riskbreaker23 said:
do you guys consider sunshine a buy or rent movie?

Buy, buy, buy!

I loved the movie when i saw it in the cinema... and it was the first HD movie i watched on Blu-Ray. Incredible. (Even just to see the bit with Mercury in HD!)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Here they come!

"We held off releasing them on Blu-ray because we wanted to be able to have the full interactivity," said Tsujishara. "At this point in time, we're still working out all the kinks [with the technology], but they will be released soon."

Two titles specifically cited by Tsujishara as being prepped for Blu-ray release were 'Batman Begins,' and the blockbuster 'Matrix' trilogy, although he stopped short of naming actual street dates.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Warner/Warner:_Profile_1.1_Blu-ray_Titles_Coming_Soon/1340

maharg

idspispopd
Laurent said:
I agree completely. I wonder how doable it would be to import the content of a HD-DVD and place it on a BRD in a way that would make it compatible with typical Blu-ray players since both players are using the same codecs. That would imply that you need to buy a HD-DVD player and a BRD burner for your PC, which makes it a much too expansive solution...

Ripping the HD-DVDs to a hard drive, on the other hand, should be possible. There's a PC HD/BR combo drive+DVD-R out there for $300. That's probably what I'll do with a bunch of mine.

I don't think there'd be any way to make BR recognize the menus, though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:
Double dip list:
Blood Diamond
Troy

300 and Blood Diamond I'm interested to see if they'll wait a bit longer, since those titles are the Blu Ray equivalent of profile 2.0

Batman Begins and the Matrix I will buy on Blu and sell the HD DVD versions if I can get good money for them.

KZObsessed

According to Penton-Man, the Warner deal has been going since September. Which leads credence to the rumour that the Paramount move to HD-DVD was a "pre-emptive strike" against an even bigger BDA announcement.

Also one of the get out clauses in Paramounts contract was based on whether another major studio went HD-DVD exlcusive, which obviously didn't happen. So Toshiba clearly thought Paramount going HD-DVD exlusive would stop Warner from going Blu, and maybe even bring them they other way.

Boy did they gamble and lose. Very interesting I think. Like Snah said, they should make a movie of it and release it on Blu-Ray :lol

Gav said:
Buy, buy, buy!

I loved the movie when i saw it in the cinema... and it was the first HD movie i watched on Blu-Ray. Incredible. (Even just to see the bit with Mercury in HD!)

i have some BB coupons so I guess i might pick up either that or 3:10 to yuma this weekend

FFObsessed said:
According to Penton-Man, the Warner deal has been going since September. Which leads credence to the rumour that the Paramount move to HD-DVD was a "pre-emptive strike" against an even bigger BDA announcement.

Also one of the get out clauses in Paramounts contract was based on whether another major studio went HD-DVD exlcusive, which obviously didn't happen. So Toshiba clearly thought Paramount going HD-DVD exlusive would stop Warner from going Blu, and maybe even bring them they other way.

Boy did they gamble and lose. Very interesting I think. Like Snah said, they should make a movie of it and release it on Blu-Ray :lol

Didn't the Paramount deal happen in August?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wow, Sunshine is getting a lot of good impressions here...I was just going to rent that one but maybe I'll buy instead.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:

Yep. Not very credible. And it also flies in the face of all the reports of BOTH sides negotiating with Warner, and reports of Warner with their hands out. Warner was obviously not sure of ANYTHING in September.

KZObsessed

Ignatz Mouse said:

Well, what Penton said was that he was figuring out a way to tell everyone sneakily since September, so negotiations were probably going on before that, and the HD-DVD group got wind of it.

Obviously it wasn't a done deal in September, they probably had an initial agreement which led to the HD-DVD offering them deals and tempting them throughout the months until the announcement.

Anyway, it doesnt really matter now, it's done, but I thought it was interesting.

Mrbob

FFObsessed said:

I'm not understanding this.

So one of the get out clauses in Paramount going HD DVD exclusive was if another major studio went HD DVD exclusive?

Whaaaaaaa? Someone explain this to me in easier terms. :p

There are 150 million reasons why Paramount may not jump off the HD DVD bandwagon until the end of 2008.

avaya

Mrbob said:
I'm not understanding this.

So one of the get out clauses in Paramount going HD DVD exclusive was if another major studio went HD DVD exclusive?

Whaaaaaaa? Someone explain this to me in easier terms. :p

There are 150 million reasons why Paramount may not jump off the HD DVD bandwagon until the end of 2008.

Toshiba guaranteed

1) One BDA studio coming on board
2) One BDA major CE coming on board

Neither were met.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Ookie, when you said Endget was pro-HD-DVD I thought "well, maybe a little." But in the last two days, they've run two articles with such a clear anti-Blu slant it's annoying.

OneI is taking a potshot at UMD (and in passing mentioning the PSP-copy of movies that will be available on discs), which is a weird way to present the good news that there will be PSP-compatible versions available on discs.

Now today, they're got a complete puff piece saying that Blu-ray will have a fight ahead of it to sell well. If it were a slow news week I could see a piece like this appearing, but now? And there's not really any substance in the article, either. It's not a like a report or some numbers just made this case clear.

EngadgetHD FTL.

Yeah, i used to go to engadget all of the time for tech geek things all of the time and love the site.
But for some reason they ended up getting so hardcore for hd-dvd that it just wasn't even amusing anymore.
Even when they would have positive news for blu there would be some kind of comment or statement in it to play it off.
Bias is fine, people are entitled to it but at least make it known straight out and do not try and pretend that you are impartial.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...x?guid={F22492EC-DCC9-4EA9-A0C0-8E6E0574FF62}

High-def format war still going ... for now

HD-DVD backers stay in fight with Blu-ray; retailers hope for resolution soon

By Dan Gallagher, MarketWatch

Last update: 12:52 p.m. EST Jan. 9, 2008

LAS VEGAS (MarketWatch) -- Blu-ray may have gained the upper hand in the high-profile format war between differing high-definition standards, but the other side is not quite ready to throw in the towel.

Members of the trade group supporting the HD-DVD standard spent their time during the Consumer Electronics Show this week quietly lobbying for support from retailers and other industry players.

This came in response to the group getting caught flat-footed last Friday as Warner Bros. made a surprise announcement that it would back the Blu-ray format exclusively beginning later this year.

Many attendees and industry trade press at CES were writing off HD-DVD as dead following the move by Warner -- one of the largest players in the home-video market.
The HD-DVD Promotion Group compounded the problem by pulling the plug at the last minute on a planned press conference at CES -- touching off speculation that some of the studios remaining in support of the standard may now be considering a move to the other side.

"We are as shocked as anyone else by the decision," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios which has been Hollywood's largest backer of the HD-DVD format.

During an interview at CES, Graffeo said the group has been working since the Warner announcement to gauge the degree of backing among retailers, which he said have been "overwhelmingly supportive."

"The consumers are not confused about formats," he said. "Consumers want something that's affordable."

Blu-ray says war is over

Those in the Blu-ray camp, however, see it differently.

At their own press gathering at CES, members of the Blu-ray Disc Association declared the so-called format war to be over, thanks largely to the support of Time Warner.

"The market has decided," said Steve Becks, president of Lions Gate Entertainment , which backs the Blu-ray format. "All forces are pointing to Blu-ray as the clear winner."

Bob Chapek, president of the home-video unit at Walt Disney Co. said studios standing behind the Blu-ray standard can now devote more resources to educating consumers about the benefits of moving to high-definition.

"With a lot of the competitive efforts on the format war now behind us, resources will be freed up," he said.

The evidence from CES, however, is that competition remains. The two groups backing the rival formats set up large exhibit booths right next door to each other in the Las Vegas Convention Center's South Hall, where demonstrators touted each format's advantages -- and openly criticized their rivals.

On the studio side, Blu-ray is now backed exclusively by Disney, Warner, News Corp.'s Fox unit, Lions Gate and Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures unit. Sony is also the main technical developer behind the Blu-ray format.

HD-DVD counts in its corner General Electric Co.'s Universal Pictures, DreamWorks and Viacom Inc.'s Paramount, though some media reports this week have indicated that Paramount may be considering a move to support Blu-ray.

Toshiba not backing down

Toshiba is the main technical developer of the HD-DVD standard, and the Japanese electronics giant used its presence at CES to tout the format. At a press conference, Akio Ozaka, president and chief executive of Toshiba America Consumer Products, said the company was "significantly disappointed" in the Warner decision but remained confident that HD-DVD would prevail.

Jodi Sally, vice president of marketing for Toshiba, put it more succinctly: "We're being declared dead, but we've been declared dead before."

All the same, backers of HD-DVD now face an uphill battle to make their case, as five of the seven major Hollywood studios now back the rival format.

Many Wall Street analysts are predicting that Blu-ray will eventually win the battle.

"We continue to believe that Blu-ray will prevail," Citigroup entertainment analyst Tony Wible wrote in a Tuesday research note.

Warner's decision to side with Blu-ray "should help eliminate the duality issue that has plagued consumers who have remained reluctant to significantly embrace either format until a clear winner emerges," he told clients.

And while Universal's Graffeo says retailers have expressed strong continued support for HD-DVD, they too are indicating that they would like to see the matter settled before much longer.

"We were very excited to see progress of any kind," said Phil Schoonover, CEO of Circuit City, during a panel discussion of electronics retailers.

At the same discussion, Brad Anderson, CEO of Best Buy, said the format war is making it difficult for his employees to sell high-definition equipment to consumers who don't want to spend several hundreds of dollars on one format if it's not going to last.

"Our employees are frustrated. It's time to get this solved," Anderson said.

Loudninja

CES: All Quiet on the Universal Front
Amidst mounting speculation that it is soon to shift alliances, Universal Studios has confirmed that it will not be making any new HD DVD title announcements at this year's CES.

Though previous years have seen a cavalcade of title announcements from HD DVD-supporting studios at CES, this year's deafening silence from Universal and Paramount/DreamWorks has only fueled speculation that one (or both) of the studios are plotting a move to format neutrality or perhaps even Blu-ray exclusivity.
ADVERTISEMENT

While Universal is issuing a terse "no comment" in response to the persistent rumors, a studio spokesperson did confirm for us that they will not be making any new title announcements at this year's CES.

Paramount similarly declined to make any new title announcements at CES, but as we first reported Monday, the studio is shooting down reports that it plans to abandon the format

See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Universal/CES_2008/CES:_All_Quiet_on_the_Universal_Front/1352

ANybody who thinks this war isn't over is kidding themselves. Graffeo can't say that out loud of course, but I bet nothing comes of this supposed rally of HD-DVD support.

Chemo

I am totally in disbelief at how many articles and radio pieces are still pretending that HD DVD still has a shot at winning the format war. Why in the living hell are so many media outlets scared of stating the obvious?

And when is a major retailer going to do the same? They can talk about wanting the war to be over until we're all blue in the face, but all it would take is for a couple of them to actually DO something about it to wrap things up immediately.

After reading so many "HD DVD still has a chance" pieces, and hearing the same sentiment echoed on NPR, I have to say... what is up with the non-committal fence sitting?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ignatz Mouse said:
Kidding? One of the best-known luxury-level CE companies. The make very fancy looking stereo equipment.

Edit: beaten by everybody

We should also note that you pay for design and build quality, not technology with B&O. You have to be rich and stupid to buy their TVs, since their tech is usually outpaced by whatever the cheapest thing at Circuit City is. Nice desk phones tho.

Raistlin

DarkJediKnight said:
Who? The name sounds like a porn movie.

High-end boutique company.

They are kind of like a higher-end BOSE. Integrated, pretty, components at pretty insane prices.

That said, their high-end speakers are absolutely insane. Meet your GOD

beolab-5.jpg

One of the greatest omnipole speakers in existance.

Kolgar

Hey, Mr. Graffeo, I like HD DVD as much as anyone, but let's face reality, it can't win.

You gave it a hell of a nice try, but it's time for us to move on.

P.S. I don't believe for a moment that following the Warner decision, retailers are still expressing "overwhelming support" for the format. HD DVD never enjoyed "overwhelming support" to begin with!

Chemo said:
I am totally in disbelief at how many articles and radio pieces are still pretending that HD DVD still has a shot at winning the format war. Why in the living hell are so many media outlets scared of stating the obvious?

And when is a major retailer going to do the same? They can talk about wanting the war to be over until we're all blue in the face, but all it would take is for a couple of them to actually DO something about it to wrap things up immediately.

After reading so many "HD DVD still has a chance" pieces, and hearing the same sentiment echoed on NPR, I have to say... what is up with the non-committal fence sitting?

Well, that's true, but I am somewhat surprised by the noumber of media outlets that *have* called it over. I'm not sure of the others are in response to that, or just editors who don't want to get caught being wrong.

As far as retailers-- I imagine we'll see at least one more big retailer drop HD-DVD within a month or so.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm guessing there's a lot of backroom negotiation going on right now, and that's why there's so much silence. I doubt there's any conspiracy by either of the HD-DVD partners. They're just busy figuring out what to do now.

Raistlin

tanod said:
Retail shouldn't be sitting on the fence waiting this war out. Retail could end it right now.

They are trying to. Before jumping the gun though, they are attempting to force the hand of Paramount/Dreamworks and Uni. They would prefer a declared end (or what would effectively be one, regardless of Toshiba) before making announcements of dropped support.

Their PR has made it quite clear this is their intent.

In the mean time however, there are things they can (and likely will) do:

* slow or stop restocking of HD DVD titles
* shrink down HD DVD displays
* increase BD displays / make them more prominent (end caps, etc)
* train workers on what to ‘recommend’ (this is the big one, and BB has all but stated they are going to do this)

vdo

GauntletFan said:
Jodi Sally, vice president of marketing for Toshiba, put it more succinctly: "We're being declared dead, but we've been declared dead before."

"Before we were only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom